• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Morn said:
Those numbers are for the DIGITAL version on Origin. Not the physical copy.

Completely RETARDED to limit digital pre-orders.

Game is doomed if EA is running it like that.

I honestly think it's tied to beta. First 50k are guaranteed a beta spot.

gatti-man

Morn said:

Oh come on. Doomed? Give me a break.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Morn said:

You think it'll be doomed because of a pre-order stunt? Yeah right. There will be a FERVOR for the digital CE and people will pre-order by the droves.

Allard

Morn said:

There might be more to it, it could be that the first 50k get access to a semi open beta and the other 500k get access to a running start and the rest of the orders go into effect on the real day of release. Would make sense too as it gives EA better threshold of how they need to tune the servers and how many to implement by launch day, as well as try to solve any server issues that are 'likely' to arise. At least that's the only way I can make heads or tales of it...

Xamdou

So Midnight Pacific time on Thursday night, hopefully the Origin site won't crash before then XD.

What time is the SWTOR panel on Thursday?

gatti-man

The 2am release makes sense to me as most will sleep through it. If they did it at noon the traffic could crash their cc systems etc.

pelican

Morn said:
Most people won't. They'll finish their class story and then cancel.

You are right that there will be a drop off as there always is.

But from your statement I guess you don't play much MMOs. The reason to play a MMO is the endgame content where all the really cool shit is. So it all boils down to endgame content i.e. Instances, Raid, PVP and Gear progression.

Morn

Banned
dogmanstaruk said:

But from your statement I guess you don't play much MMOs. The reason to play a MMO is the endgame content where all the really cool shit is. So it all boils down to endgame content i.e. Instances, Raid, PVP and Gear progression.

I don't play much MMOs? I have four, almost five now, level 85s in WoW.

Emitan

dogmanstaruk said:

That's the reason for some people. Others just get to max level and they're done.

MaddenNFL64

I think if the leveling process is as non grindy as I think it will be, more people will stick around for the endgame stuff than usual.

Giolon

MaddenNFL64 said:
I think if the leveling process is as non grindy as I think it will be, more people will stick around for the endgame stuff than usual.

Post-Cata WoW is as non-grindy as it gets. It hasn't helped them all that much, but there may be larger factors at work (i.e. people sick of the same old shit after 6+ years).

MaddenNFL64

HotHamWater said:
It's pretty grindy in it's current state.

I mean in the "i'm gonna head to blahblah to level up for a few hours" smacking on randoms shit grind. I think the story context & not just text popups, the herding "grind" in recent mmos will be even less tiresome.

MaddenNFL64

Giolon said:
Post-Cata WoW is as non-grindy as it gets. It hasn't helped them all that much, but there may be larger factors at work (i.e. people sick of the same old shit after 6+ years).

Well, it's more of the fact that even with the massive numbers of WoW, i'd say 80-90% never do any raiding.

Most people will play Tor for it's leveling & stop, i'm just hoping that there will be a good amount who will stick around.

MaddenNFL64

Orgun said:
The new Twilek Jedi shots look great.

56l7mu.jpg

This is a bug. But a cool bug.

syoaran

MaddenNFL64 said:

It's grindy, but with the story it becomes less of a chore and a more interesting experience. It's probably a more important factor that they have a lot of interesting gameplay quests over the long run than in the vanilla product.

Yaska

It's not so bad as long as you don't have to grind for months for just one level. (been there, done that.) Also I wish they would announce their region-plans already. Would be nice to have Guild Wars style where you can play on both US and EU with one purchase, instead of ordering from another side of the world to get the right key.

Dakota47

Yaska said:
It's not so bad as long as you don't have to grind for months for just one level. (been there, done that.) Also I wish they would announce their region-plans already. Would be nice to have Guild Wars style where you can play on both US and EU with one purchase, instead of ordering from another side of the world to get the right key.

That would be great. I hate not being to able to play with buddies in the US in f.e. WoW (or Starcraft 2 for that matter), without jumping through a couple of hoops.

Sigfodr

So, Origin preorders = beta? I'm not going to take that Kotaku report word for word, but the overall message is reasonable: Origin preorders go live soon with some limitations based on a first come basis.

antonz said:
Today is the day for new beta build deployed and beta forums wiped likely as well.
Just to nitpick, today the old build comes down. Not sure when the new build goes up, unless I missed something.

Sigfodr said:
So, Origin preorders = beta? I'm not going to take that Kotaku report word for word, but the overall message is reasonable: Origin preorders go live soon with some limitations based on a first come basis.

Just to nitpick, today the old build comes down. Not sure when the new build goes up, unless I missed something.

Yeah, you are right about that. We only know they are going down today.

I don't really want to get the game on origin. I already use two download platforms. Not really eager to add a third one to the list. Also, I really don't want to have another program running in the background whenever I play SWTOR.

If the rumors are true and origin gets an exclusive digital CE with 6 days head start (instead of 3) and beta access for those quick enough, I am not sure I can resist the temptation though.

Sigfodr

Dinosaur Tamer said:
Yeah, you are right about that. We only know they are going down today.

I don't really want to get the game on origin. I already use two download platforms. Not really eager to add a third one to the list. Also, I really don't want to have another program running in the background whenever I play SWTOR.

If the rumors are true and origin gets an exclusive digital CE with 6 days head start (instead of 3) and beta access for those quick enough, I am not sure I can resist the temptation though.
Not sure, but Origin may have to run in the background anyway. Bugger any headstart, but a creator way to get that exclusive droid may be worth it. God, I feel cheap.

Billychu said:
Origin is not required and will not run in the background.

Source? I was under the impression EA tries to set up Origin like Steam and assumed it would be required to launch/play the game if you buy the digital edition. Would be positively surprised if they already denied that. :)

gatti-man

Dinosaur Tamer said:
Source? I was under the impression EA tries to set up Origin like Steam and assumed it would be required to launch/play the game if you buy the digital edition. Would be positively surprised if they already denied that. :)
That was my impression as well.

Emitan

Dinosaur Tamer said:
A dev said it weeks ago on the forums. I don't have time to find it so hopefully someone else can.

Jbird34

Dinosaur Tamer said:

When EA did their buy DA2 get ME2 for free promo I downloaded ME2 and have never had to run origin to launch it.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the quote from Stephen Reid:

However, you won’t need to launch the Origin application to run The Old Republic, nor will you patch the game via Origin. Once the game is on your hard disk, you’ll be connecting to our servers to patch and launch the game, and Origin does not have to be running to do that.

hiryu

Nobody else is offended that they might give people who buy the expensive CE a headstart in an MMO? That sounds like total bullshit but it's EA and they, above all other publishers, love lame preorder stuff.

Emitan

hiryu said:
Nobody else is offended that they might give people who buy the expensive CE a headstart in an MMO? That sounds like total bullshit but it's EA and they, above all other publishers, love lame preorder stuff.
They'd paid a premium to get in a few days early. Is it really a big deal?

Anyway off to work because reading this thread is making me late :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom