• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
update: Kickstarter is up

http://kotaku.com/5899354/republique/gallery/1

xlarge.jpg

The game follows a young girl named Hope who is being held captive in a mysterious totalitarian state. Using a contraband phone, she calls you and asks for help. Hope isn't a puppet, and sometimes she might even disagree with you—that is, if you tell her to do stupid things. You goal is to not only help her, but also protect her. This is République.

Via her contraband cell phone, you can hack into the state's surveillance network and help her escape. You can tap on in-game cameras to "warp" into them and see the room and spaces from different points-of-view. The game doesn't feature any killing, and Hope can use only the limited supplies she finds. "The game is all about voyeurism, paranoia, censorship and control," said developer Ryan Payton.

Sounds pretty interesting

edit: comment from the dev:

Most definitely not scripted point-and-click. The team is working hard to make sure the gameplay is as sandboxy as possible. Move from cover-to-cover, manipulate the world and enemies to give Hope the upper hand, move in for the attack or sneak past if you need her to conserve supplies.

Mako_Drug

Sounds fucking awesome. I was actually dreaming up a game concept recently which involved being trapped in a totalitarian state.

So... you're telling her what to do over the phone? Do you have direct control of her? Not sure how it plays.

edit: Oh, iOS? OK, I get it now. Sounds great.

sonicmj1

It does sound interesting. It's an underutilized setting idea, and I'm all for games with forms of interaction beyond killing.

I hope it doesn't use voice commands. The mode of interaction kind of reminds me of Lifeline for PS2.

EDIT: It's iOS? It's the right business decision, but there's a weird kind of irony in making a game about hacked communications systems that circumvent controls for the closed Apple ecosystem.

injurai

Banned
Oh cool, I'm starting to feel the entire industry is moving towards this particular setting, but the concept sounds good enough.

<----- Will be keeping this eye out for it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I've been hoping to see concepts like this on iOS. Seems like it uses a very clever touch-screen interface. Great premise too.

theBishop

Banned
DO want. That screen and description and personnel are all great.

But don't have any iOSes... Android? Vita? Steam? Anything Else?

sonicmj1

I ask in every thread, but who is Ryan Payton and why does his name matter?

Ryan Payton is ex-KojiPro. He was heavily involved in the development of MGS4, and ran the Kojima Productions Report podcast. He also worked at 343 as they were developing Halo 4 before he parted ways.

I have no idea how good he is as a game designer, but I like him and have respect for his views on games. This is a cool idea, so I'll wait and see.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That guy from the KP podcast that worked on some questionable MG games for PSP.
Sounds like a notable guy worth championing in every departure or idea he comes up with.

I don't know, maybe I'm from the Sid Meier generation where a name had some kind of history of products and ideas.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Sounds like a notable guy worth championing in every departure or idea he comes up with.

I don't know, maybe I'm from the Sid Meier generation where a name had some kind of history of products and ideas.

He is known on GAF so I mentioned his name in the title to attract attention to the game which seems to be pretty interesting.

Slime

Banned
JadedGAF is so cute.

Anyway, the concept sounds great and I'm really looking forward to it. Reassuring to see more people take this platform seriously.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not anti-iOS by any stretch, but this seems like one of those games which isn't an ideal fit for the way I use my phone. I wish Payton all the best, hopefully he'll bring future projects to more personally palpable platforms.

rvy

Banned
Without Payton, KojiPro would have not known or cared for GoW, among other things.

Yeah, no. Kojima isn't your typical Japanese dev that pays no attention to what the West is doing. You can credit Payton with bringing BioShock (and some other games I don't remember) and showing it to the team, but Kojima knows his shit.

Enough derailing.

Maybe this was the direction he wanted to take Halo in, like you were going to play Cortana telling Master Chief what to do.

StuBurns

Banned
A lot of people reference Life Line. I haven't played it yet, but it can't be THAT bad, right? Didn't it get a perfect score in Famitsu?
Voice recognition is far better in Japanese, that game doesn't work for most people in the West.

Yeah, no. Kojima isn't your typical Japanese dev that pays no attention to what the West is doing. You can credit Payton with bringing BioShock (and some other games I don't remember) and showing it to the team, but Kojima knows his shit.

Enough derailing.

In fact i said KojiPro, not Kojima. Let's end this stupid debate anyway.

Top Bottom