• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Reveals All Wii US Million Sellers (W/ Numbers)

Boney

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
k52Zu.gif

Has a Treasure game EVER sold a million copies? They're Atlus for action game fans
let me fix that for you

DK 94 = DKJB > DKC2

spons

Gold Member
Htown said:
They're all over a million. NONE of them are terrible.
That's the problem.

Also Galaxy 2 should've been double the amount. It's just so stupidly enjoyable.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
LeonSKennedy90 said:
That is...quite the opinion, good sir.
When you're wrong, its best to drop it and never mention it again. Just claim that you've only played the Wii version of DKJB and let it be.

Mlatador

Banned
Im especially happy for

Donkey Kong Country Returns <---- deserves it soo hard! I hope we'll be seeing a sequel - I mean, come on, we have to!! Even a third one!

Disney Epic Mickey (had some flaws but was a really nice game. I hope there's gonna be a sequel too!)

JJConrad said:
When you're wrong, its best to drop it and never mention it again.

Tell HIM that! My mind can't even process that opinion. Its like saying your favorite Mario game is SMS. I mean... technically that is a statement you can say, but...really?

Mlatador

Banned
well, let's not forget it's just the US.

All those games are a great success.

And fuck, I'm happy I even got a sequel to Sin & Punishment! I can die happily now :)

King Boo

i'm sad that these games didn't make it to the list:

kirby epic yarn
little king story
wario land shake it

and it's sad to see so many...other kinds of games making it on the list.

AniHawk

King Boo said:

kirby epic yarn
little king story
wario land shake it

kirby and wario did well for themselves. they are, after all, platformers on the wii.

AniHawk

crazy monkey said:
I would have though COd blops might have sold more than CODWAw
codwaw's had an extra 2 years on the market. plus, codblops was sharing the wii's fps fanbase with goldeneye, which also did well.

Lenardo

Banned
heh i have 24 of those games (23 really but i have wii fit and wiifit plus)

never got wii play-had 4 wiimotes by then.

King Boo said:

kirby epic yarn
little king story
wario land shake it

Kirby's Epic Yarn is a million-seller from Nintendo's standards, just WW. Wario Land might have hit that, too, but I'm doubtful.

Little King Story didn't have a chance.

King Boo

AniHawk said:
kirby and wario did well for themselves. they are, after all, platformers on the wii.

TheUnknownForce said:
Kirby's Epic Yarn is a million-seller from Nintendo's standards, just WW. Wario Land might have hit that, too, but I'm doubtful.

Little King Story didn't have a chance.

well...at least 2 out of the 3 hit a million. but when i really think about it, if we're talking about world wide sales, then those 3 games deserve to be played by more than 1 million players.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Wii Fit was huge. Weird how it seems to have disappeared from sales charts for the last year or so though.

Wish we could get these numbers for the other 2 consoles also.

cvxfreak

Isn't Twilight Princess the best selling Zelda ever in the U.S. when you combine the GC and Wii versions?

Although, I suppose it's probably OoT when you factor in the 3DS version, the Virtual Console and the GC disc versions.

Madao

cvxfreak said:
Isn't Twilight Princess the best selling Zelda ever in the U.S. when you combine the GC and Wii versions?

Although, I suppose it's probably OoT when you factor in the 3DS version, the Virtual Console and the GC disc versions.

i thought OoT was the best selling Zelda in all territories except japan since it is still the highest selling zelda of all (though TP being very weak in japan and still being 2nd WW would make the US/EU numbers very close to OoT)
someone should dig those numbers.

also, gotta love how the competition can make their sequels increase over the originals (stuff like gears of war and uncharted) and nintendo's sequels usually sell less than the first entry.

Mael

perfectchaos007 said:
Sounds about right. I guess more games are bought on 360 per system than Wii

considering they're releasing way more games on 360 that sounds about right

Mael said:
considering they're releasing way more games on 360 that sounds about right

But 360 on the other hand must contend with the ps3 version in most cases.

Though PS3 has a pretty weak presence in the US I believe?

Madao

PuppetSlave said:

people only buy PS3 exclusives if they own both systems and get all their multiplats on 360 because of achievements and friend lists.

at least that's what i've noticed with most PS3 owners.

AniHawk

PuppetSlave said:

comparitively, yes, but it'll wind up outselling the n64/snes in the states, and software, while the weakest of the three, isn't that bad. there's a dedicated fanbase that buys the exclusives, and a somewhat mainstream fanbase that buys all the major hits.

Mael

PuppetSlave said:

Huh, compare the efforts made by 3rd parties on Wii and on 360/ps3 you'll see that they barely touched wii's market in the end so it's kinda normal that the result would be less.
I mean let's not pretend all things are equal.

Disney Epic Mickey 1.52

Super Paper Mario 1.27

Resident Evil 4 1.05

Very surprising sales here! Just goes to show that there is (was?) an audience for "core" titles on Wii. What a missed opportunity. The fact that it has more million sellers than PS3 (despite getting a mere fraction of the support it got!) really shows how 3rd parties bungled up and missed the boat.

Animal Crossing: City Folk 1.06

Wow. Lower than I expected! Just goes to show that even the idiots retards morons "casuals" do a little bit of research on what they buy and will not purchase something that is nearly identical to what they already have. Thanks goodness that Nintendo seem to have cottoned to this and are actually doing something new with AC 3DS.

_Alkaline_ said:
I like Jungle Beat, but it's no DKCR.

Box of Bunnies said:
Indeed.

DKCR wishes it was as good as Jungle Beat.

What is it with the DK series? Why does it always have to be one or the other? (You have people fighting saying that their favourite game is crap while DKJB, DKC 2, DKCR or DK94 are the only good ones)

Yeah yeah I know this is GAF and all, but the DK series fanbase is unique in this respect. Is the series really that divisive? (For the record, I like all of them! - except for the PAON crap)

Madao

Jaded Alyx said:
Sounds about right.

Metroid doesn't sell. Never has. I kind of wonder why Nintendo persists with it. It makes little sense from a business perspective.

Yup.

Metroid will truly die now. the japanese staff won't be allowed to do more games after the other m fiasco and retro will be converted into a DKCRetro machine (can't help that DKCR outsold the entire trilogy combined that easily)

Farmboy

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Tell HIM that! My mind can't even process that opinion. Its like saying your favorite Mario game is SMS. I mean... technically that is a statement you can say, but...really?

You do realize he means Donkey Kong '94 for Game Boy, which is brilliant? Your response is so OTT I'm starting to think you read that as DK64...

Mael

Jaded Alyx said:
Sounds about right.

Metroid doesn't sell. Never has. I kind of wonder why Nintendo persists with it. It makes little sense from a business perspective.

Yup.
Let's not throw the baby with the water.
Metroid Prime 3 passed the Million mark....worldwide (1.31M according the wikipedia).
To say it never sells is an exageration.
After the disaster from the last game though, yeah it makes little sense to persist now.

Let's remember that the DS had a demo of the next Metroid offered at released, I mean let's not act like Metroid was always unpopular either.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yeah yeah I know this is GAF and all, but the DK series fanbase is unique in this respect. Is the series really that divisive? (For the record, I like all of them! - except for the PAON crap)

Haven't played King of Swing/Jungle Climber, I see.

Thread turned to stupid. Weird to compare DK94 to Country.

AniHawk said:
probably not. tp's down to $20 which should bring it to 3m+. it might do 2m+ though.
It'll definitely outsell TP on Wii.

1. TP sold like 1 million on GC, so it actually sold close to 4m, SS should sell more than 1m less than TP not to crack 3m.
2. TP was a Wii launch title and it wasn't an ever green title, Wii installed based has grown considerably since then
3. SS seems to be a much more important entry in the series than TP ever was
4. Wii hasn't been getting any good game since last year holiday, people starve for a good game.
5. It'll be bundled with a golden remote and its box art looks amazing.
6. It apparently is the first hardcore game to get motion controls right.
(7. We may get Wii bundles, thought it totally may or may not happen)

There are so many reasons for Skyward Sword to over perform, I wouldn't be surprised if the game manages to crack 10 million World Wide, definitely over 3m in the US in few months.

Nuclear Muffin said:

Yeah, I tend to like them all too.

I think a certain level of division is the be expected from a series with such distinct styles, though. With something like Mario you've got 2D and 3D but then the games within each of those splits tend to follow the same general style (except for the whole linear thing with the Galaxy games), but then with DK there's the arcade style, the Country style and the Jungle Beat style which are all fairly different.

Top Bottom