• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land on iOS ($0.99)

SmokyDave

Absolutely shameless. I'm tempted to buy it just as a novelty but this shouldn't be rewarded. It did make me giggle though.

I like how legitimately useful apps can be turned down by apple's screening process, yet stuff like this gets through. I mean it's really obvious how "unique" this game is...

I clicked that Walnut JZ site in the page. Nice wallpaper, guys:

http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/1824314731

Edit for those who don't want to give them a click, heh:

jybuH.png

hym

Banned
Shameless plagiary will always exist but I take issue that world's biggest technology corporation (just going by market capitalization) is earning 30% on each sale and they aren't even legally accountable for whatever appears on iTunes.

It's almost like the Mafia that collect a cut on every sanctioned crime in their neighborhood.

antonz

Apple doesn't give a shit about others intellectual rights being violated if it makes them a quick buck. If it infringes on theirs though it wont have a chance in hell of making it on the app store.

ultrazilla

Had to buy this. Kinda like rubber necking a bad auto accident.

Avoid like the bubonic plaque. Terrible graphics, floaty controls,
one hit insta-death and music jacked from a funeral home.

Deleting this abomination stat. Dear Mario in heaven, forgive
me this trespass. :(

Really? It looked korean to me. I need to train my foreign letters eye. :(

but yeah, china.

A simple guide from someone who knows nothing:

Korean text has a lot of... circles in it.
Chinese text is generally quite complex looking.
Japanese text is generally much simpler looking and has a lot of the easy-to-spot character "の" ("no")

Korean | Japanese | Chinese

Japanese text is generally much simpler looking and has a lot of the easy-to-spot character "の" ("no")

now if all of china used traditional, the world would be at peace.

NeoRausch

Heh yeah, japanese is super easy to spot for me. But i get always caught up between korean and chinese. But that circle thing is good. Thanks!

Cartman86

Banned
I don't have any iOS devices so i'm not trying to defend some loyalty, but the process should be reactionary. The main reason the iOS store has taken off is because of the ease of getting content on it compared to most other places. The day that Apple decides to screen for shit like this the store will change forever. I imagine that it would be essentially impossible to do as well. You would have an Xbox360 situation which sort of defeats the purpose of the App store. The reactionary defense is the best solution.

Speevy

Banned
As horrible as this apparently is, it does beg the question of how a good version of this might look.

I mean not a Mario 3D Land ripoff, but a 3D platformer of any kind.

Hell, on any platform other than Nintendo's. Between the 360 and PS3, there are maybe one or two that were originally developed this generation?

Just bought it. Amazing experience on the iPhone 4. It runs at about 7 FPS, there are probably three frames in the jumping animation, Mario just levitates off the ground and slowly drifts back to terra firma. I got the propellor power up, floated towards a koopa and got the game over screen. Total playtime: 6 seconds. I'll hold off on impressions til the iPhone 5 gets in, so I can run this graphical tour de force at 23 FPS

Top Bottom