• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elminage Original |3DS OT| Twice The Screens, Twice The Death

RedBoot

Did they fix the translation?

It's definitely still a little off in places (and I think there are times when I get the wrong dialog from NPCs...you can talk to the Training Field NPC before getting the Jewel Ring and she'll act like you have it). I haven't played the PSP version in years so I don't know if it's unchanged or not.

It's still very playable. Weird translations never bothered me much since I lived through the NES/SNES eras.

KiTA

yeah thief have the +1 thief skill.

but if you play with an alchemist, you can eventually disarm 100% with a spell.

Yeah, but who wants to disarm a max of 9 times before having to head back to town.

Plus, thieves can steal gear. In Original that's amazing. (Gothic kinda messed it up but fixed it in the 3DS version)

Forward

Those dice rolls are stupid. Even the PS3 Wizardry was fair, comparatively. I have better things to do with my time, than roll for an hour straight, and see nothing better than a 24. It is absurd. It really, really, really is. Oh well... at least it was only $22 lost. My time >>>>>> $22.

RedBoot

Honestly, the only times I did any significant rerolling was to make the base stats for certain race/class combos (Dwarf Lord, Devilkin Samurai, etc). Otherwise I just went with the first roll that was a little over normal. Stats fluctuate a lot on level up, and the game sort of "corrects" anything that's too high or low anyway.

Gear matters a lot more, too. My highest damage dealers right now are my thief (because I found an Iron Boomerang), my brawler (because brawlers), and my summoned Chimera. My Dwarf Lord's STR stat isn't too big a deal.

Dorarnae

Those dice rolls are stupid. Even the PS3 Wizardry was fair, comparatively. I have better things to do with my time, than roll for an hour straight, and see nothing better than a 24. It is absurd. It really, really, really is. Oh well... at least it was only $22 lost. My time >>>>>> $22.

don't worry too much about stat, they do make a lil difference but its mostly for class changing. your stats will eventually cap when lvling up.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm having a lot of fun with this so far (first time ever playing it). I'm still trying to find the jewel thing for the king. I have a couple of questions that I can't figure out yet:

1) I have a Bishop I keep in the town to swap in for free appraisals, however after doing so for a few times, his icon is now showing a busted mirror and I can't appraise any more. How do I fix that?

2) I'm using a Thief that I keep on the back row, to pick chests and traps, however he can't attack from back there, what weapon should I give him to allow that?

3) RE Thief still, he doesn't have the Steal ability, is that something he gains after leveling up high enough?

1upsuper

You don't need optimal stats to make headway in this game. Seriously, if it's pissing you off to reroll, don't.

cj_iwakura

I'm having a lot of fun with this so far (first time ever playing it). I'm still trying to find the jewel thing for the king. I have a couple of questions that I can't figure out yet:

1) I have a Bishop I keep in the town to swap in for free appraisals, however after doing so for a few times, his icon is now showing a busted mirror and I can't appraise any more. How do I fix that?

2) I'm using a Thief that I keep on the back row, to pick chests and traps, however he can't attack from back there, what weapon should I give him to allow that?

3) RE Thief still, he doesn't have the Steal ability, is that something he gains after leveling up high enough?

1) Pretty sure he has a status that needs to be cured, if memory serves.

2). You'll find something later on.

3) Yep, classes get new abilities later.

Dorarnae

1-it's the fear status, when they fail to appraise, sometime they get the fear status. can be cured with spell or you can just walk around a bit and it'll disapear.

2- 3 first character are your front row and 3 other are back row char. Weapon in this game have range, S,M,L.

3-Steal ability is at lvl 26 I think. all class get a special skill at a certain lvl...

Lorcain

Is there a way to tell if an item is cursed? I equipped a robe that cursed my mage, with no apparent way to heal her or remove the item. I didn't notice anything in the item description that would've indicated that it was cursed before I equipped it. Thankfully I saved just before and was able to reload.

Ephidel

Does anyone even know who they are?
I don't know what happened to the earlier reports of Rising Star, but Nintendo's page for the game lists Ninja Games Japan as the publisher.
They have a fantastically typo-ridden website - http://ninjagamesjapan.com/en/

Okay, I linked to that page because I was feeling particularly cruel, but the rest of their site isn't much better. Their business page would have been another easy pick, and I particularly like the way they spell their own name wrong in places.

The actual page for Elminage isn't too bad, I guess. Lots of screenshots.
http://ninjagamesjapan.com/en/title/elminage/

cj_iwakura

I don't know what happened to the earlier reports of Rising Star, but Nintendo's page for the game lists Ninja Games Japan as the publisher.
They have a fantastically typo-ridden website - http://ninjagamesjapan.com/en/

Okay, I linked to that page because I was feeling particularly cruel, but the rest of their site isn't much better. Their business page would have been another easy pick, and I particularly like the way they spell their own name wrong in places.

The actual page for Elminage isn't too bad, I guess. Lots of screenshots.
http://ninjagamesjapan.com/en/title/elminage/
If I had to guess, it's probably some upstart Japanese localization company who licensed UFO interactive's translation.

Shizuka

Just bought the game, even if I won't be able to play it anytime soon with the flood of new games out next month.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Game's pretty good so far. I regret never playing my PSP copy so many years ago. Certainly better than that Wizardry garbage that hit... PS3 and mobile, was it? Losing stats on level ups is a bit annoying, forcing more resets than should be necessary. But eh, I'm having fun so far. And someone asked if it had 3D? It does. Pretty decent implementation on a n3DS, at least.

redcrayon

Game's pretty good so far. I regret never playing my PSP copy so many years ago. Certainly better than that Wizardry garbage that hit... PS3 and mobile, was it? Losing stats on level ups is a bit annoying, forcing more resets than should be necessary. But eh, I'm having fun so far. And someone asked if it had 3D? It does. Pretty decent implementation on a n3DS, at least.
Don't worry too much about losing the odd stat point on level ups, or poor hp gain. If you reset it whenever you do, long before the end of the game everyone will be on max stats and constantly dropping and then gaining them again anyway!

Velkyn

I'm considering tethering my phone at work just to download this. Didn't even know it was out on 3DS today!

Japanese dungeon crawlers fill me with a hype I can't describe. Thanks for the OT!

Mejilan

Yeah, I know it kind of recalculates and normalizes over time. But I REALLY can't accept 1 HP level ups to go along with stat drops. Especially not in the early hours, when survivability is such an issue. My team's only level 4 right now.

Went with:
Male Gnome Lord named Sterrik
Male Devilkin Brawler named Ungliot
Female Human Samurai named Liethe
Female Halfling Thief named Nahat
Female Elven Bishop named Firinel
Male Dragonewt Mage named Diamede

Male Werebeast Alchemist named Senn sitting at the bar

Took AGES to roll a high enough bonus to create a level 1 Lord and Samurai at low ages. Netflix helped. A lot.

Not too sure what I'll do about class changes other than turning that Mage into a Summoner eventually. Maybe the Thief into a Ninja if I don't lose the ability to steal goodies for the Brawler?

redcrayon

Yeah, I know it kind of recalculates and normalizes over time. But I REALLY can't accept 1 HP level ups to go along with stat drops. Especially not in the early hours, when survivability is such an issue. My team's only level 4 right now.

Went with:
Male Gnome Lord named Sterrik
Male Devilkin Brawler named Ungliot
Female Human Samurai named Liethe
Female Halfling Thief named Nahat
Female Elven Bishop named Firinel
Male Dragonewt Mage named Diamede

Male Werebeast Alchemist named Senn sitting at the bar

Took AGES to roll a high enough bonus to create a level 1 Lord and Samurai at low ages. Netflix helped. A lot.

Not too sure what I'll do about class changes other than turning that Mage into a Summoner eventually. Maybe the Thief into a Ninja if I don't lose the ability to steal goodies for the Brawler?
Fair point, especially early on where the difference between a great and a poor level up can be huge. I remember one of my fighters gaining +38hp (more than some other party members had in total at the time) after a succession of poor level ups and that then made me look up what was going on behind the scenes.

I really dislike the setup of these games where you can keep rerolling stats at the start- you don't want a poor roll but wonder if a great one will turn up just a few rolls later, then you are so set on hammering the button after 100+ re-rolls that you skip past it. I much prefer it where you just get given a set stat pool (modified by age/race/class etc).

Mejilan

Fair point, especially early on where the difference between a great and a poor level up can be huge. I remember one of my fighters gaining +38hp (more than some other party members had in total at the time) after a succession of poor level ups and that then made me look up what was going on behind the scenes.

I really dislike the setup of these games where you can keep rerolling stats at the start- you don't want a poor roll but wonder if a great one will turn up just a few rolls later, then you are so set on hammering the button after 100+ re-rolls that you skip past it. I much prefer it where you just get given a set stat pool (modified by age/race/class etc).

Yeah, this kind of rerolling is a bit outdated. Can't remember the game, but there was one that let you bank a bonus roll (say, a 25) while you continued to attempt to hit 30 or higher. Was a decent compromise. But I ultimately prefer a set amount of points dictated by race, class, and age. Let everyone start more or less around the same baseline range and balance the early hours accordingly. Wide swings in range, especially in the early hours, too often just results in early struggles or early roflstomping.

As for my character creation. For the more basic classes, I paid attention and accepted anything above a 25. For the VERY hard to get Lord and Samurai rolls, I did something different. I knew I needed 30 or so points to open up the advanced classes, so I put on Netflix, put the cursor on the class I wanted (Samurai or Lord) and just blindly alternated between the reroll button and the accept button. The accept button does nothing if you don't get the absurdly high bonus roll you need, so EVENTUALLY, it would come up and I'd be able to blindly confirm the class. Went through quite a few eps of Voltron on Netflix before it happened.

Lorcain

I've been enjoying the game so far. I'm not sure if this is going to bite me in the end, but I went ahead a created a team of ancients all around ages 300-500 years old. I have no idea if age has any impact on the gameplay (do they die of old age?), but I noticed immediately that it boosts the bottom value of their initial stat roll. According to the game their age can go up to 999.

The game has a classic Wizardy feel to it, with a good class system. After a lot of experimentation with different classes, my core team is:
1. Lord - Dwarf: great tank and damage dealer, and surprisingly turns into a good healer too
2. Fighter - Dragonnewt: great tank, great damage, and fire breath
3. Brawler - Werebeast: crazy good because of combo attacks, highest kill count by far
4. Thief - Hotlet: i haven't reached class mastery yet, so she's just throwing boomerangs and disarming traps
5. Bishop - Elf: slow mage and priest spell progression, but i'm in it for the long run
6. Summoner - Devilish: they're like pokemon trainers adding a 7th member to the party. They're like their own fun mini-game collecting monsters.

I've been swapping out these classes to mix things up:
7. Alchemist - Devilish: great class, really useful spells, rotates into my 5th slot replacing the Bishop
8. Bard - Human: does so many things, damage dealer (with iron boomerang), mage spells, music instruments and tarot cards. I really want to like the class, but I've had enough tarot card failures that completely f'd my party (they backfire) that she's been on the bench.
9. Shaman - Human: slayer of demons and undead, uses musical instruments, and her class weapons allow her to attack from the back row. I rotate her into the 5th or 6th slot.

Mejilan

Wow, it feels like the whole freakin' world opens up after you finish that first quest for King Dane. Cooool.

jackal27

Banned
Playing this for review and enjoying it so far. Any tips for a beginner to this game/series??

Also, did we ever establish if custom portraits could be uploaded to the SD Card?

Mejilan

I haven't played around with custom portraits.
And there are plenty of tips in the OP and in subsequent posts by players of the PSP version.

cj_iwakura

Playing this for review and enjoying it so far. Any tips for a beginner to this game/series??

Also, did we ever establish if custom portraits could be uploaded to the SD Card?
Plenty good ones in the OP, usual dungeon crawler logic applies too. Bring a thief always, priest, mage, etc. Bishops are all you need for appraisals once you get one.

I don't think anyone tried yet.

I'm about six hours in, first time playing this series, and my party (fighter, samurai, thief, cleric, bishop, alchemists) got wiped out trying to finish a quest deep within a forest dungeon. Wondering if I should just reset and load up from before their death, or if I should make a new party based on some of the recommendations here.

cj_iwakura

I'm about six hours in, first time playing this series, and my party (fighter, samurai, thief, cleric, bishop, alchemists) got wiped out trying to finish a quest deep within a forest dungeon. Wondering if I should just reset and load up from before their death, or if I should make a new party based on some of the recommendations here.

That's a good team, I'd stick with them.

Lorcain

One of the good things about this game is that you don't need to start over. You can create new characters and try out different classes within your team to see how they do. They level up quickly. I think the game kind of encourages that type of class/party experimentation.

I like to mix things up with my team composition to keep things interesting for me. The team you listed above is really good.

Forward

I am currently rocking a Human Lord, Demonkind Brawler, Human Samurai, Hobbit Thief, Elf Cleric, and Fairy Alchemist. My Elf Bishop is level 5, and drinking heavily, waiting for junk to appraise.

Dorarnae

you can keep some gold on a character in town, so that when you die you can pay to get the corpse back, instead of going out and rescuing them.

also the deeper you go in a dungeon, stronger the ennemies are, in this game I find it easier to clear the first floor of some dungeon before going deeper.

Okay, I put together my first team.

Lenneth - Valkyrie
Nei - Brawler
Akari - Fighter -> Samurai
Penelo - Thief
Agrias - Cleric -> Lord
Monokuma - Mage -> Summoner

Yes, all of the characters in my team are from other games. The 3DS camera can be used in-game to take photos. When I start getting some better stuff, I'll swap the Thief out for a Alchemist -> Ranger. Alchemists have a trap disarm spell.

I could be wrong on this, but I soft-resets (L+R+start) are slower in this version. On the PSP, restarting is practically instantaneous. Here, I have to sit through a loading screen. Rolling for better than 1 HP gains is a bit more annoying now.

EDIT: Got the Flamberge. Already kicking ass.

Lorcain

That flamberge is awesome. I gave it to my dwarf lord, he hits 7 times with it.

I've just been suffering through the 1 HP level ups and not reloading. I hope that doesn't bite my group in the ass later in the game. I've gotten some good level ups too, which helps.

That flamberge is awesome. I gave it to my dwarf lord, he hits 7 times with it.

Best part about it is that it can be used as an item. It casts a fire spell that hits an entire line of enemies for decent damage.

Unlimited uses. It doesn't have to be equipped to use either, so any extras can go to thieves/mages/etc (Be sure to equip a flame amulet on them to boost damage).

Top Bottom