• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

tonka

I've probably played IX more than anyone, but where is said that Terra is in another dimension? The Ultimania?

the planets are coincident since one had a blue moon and one a red.
You then go to terra in this big glowy portal.

I have heard people say that terra exists beneath gaia (a la ffiv's underworld), but it being in a small parallel place makes more sense to me

the planets are coincident since one had a blue moon and one a red.
You then go to terra in this big glowy portal.

I have heard people say that terra exists beneath gaia (a la ffiv's underworld), but it being in a small parallel place makes more sense to me

I know all of this, but where does it say it?

Alucard

Banned
Did 65 fiend tales today. All of the ones available in Chapter 1 plus the Via Infinito bosses I carried over. It goes so fast when you never level YRP after the intro. A single battle in the simulator is enough to finish an entire party's tales.

Oh yeah. I usually farm enough to fully upgrade in each town, which probably helps my stats a lot.

How long does the game usually take you? I'm strapping in for 25-30 hours. Hope it won't take longer than that. I think today's games are waaaaay too long.

B.K.

I know all of this, but where does it say it?

The Ultimania. Terra is basically Final Fantasy IX's underworld.

a2hhtOp.jpg

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
SzjN4US.jpg

Yeah!! Outta the way dog!

Y7k2RQS.jpg

An above water outdoors sub dock this time? Cools. I like the look of this place!

kFTVHAh.jpg

SOLDIER 2nd? Of all the places and things they coulda been guarding why here?

sYU7tmC.jpg
EaHlRUQ.jpg

Dogs are forbidden.

Re4IeLu.jpg
Z9Ob3VS.jpg

These guys stand no chance an the party wouldn't earn much from beating 'em so once again, we got hostages!

TYVCpxu.jpg

An two more hostages taken! Albeit with strange wording. "I'm your prisoner"??

lt8FkqP.jpg

What says he'll hide the sub someplace secluded, then surfaces and park right outside of Junon. Good job? Now that they have a sub you'd think Bugenhagen has another hint right? Nah! What just redoes his "we don't have a submarine oh wait junon dock" stuff. Weird.

q5x7hXd.jpg

So they've just gotta head back under an poke around for... uhhh. Not for Weapon thats for sure!

CG7COrE.jpg
KklxK6a.jpg

Heading north through some tight spaces finds 'em the key they've been searching for! btw isn't it like WAY crowded in there?

1Dx1vtR.jpg
Cw2Jh4e.jpg
E0tt57M.jpg

The keys used to activate a "music box" which instead of playing music instead plays back Looks finally moments. An more importantly the state of the white materia! It sure is glowy an green now!

BXdk3mz.jpg
W4bjyqv.jpg

Look did what she needed ta do an the planet may have responded but Holy's kinda at a standstill.

rvni5QG.jpg

Gotta be Sephiroth! He's gotta get taken down and hard!

udADtax.jpg
SN7znjt.jpg
FvhcOvh.jpg

Oh hi there plot PHS! Mr Meows has some hot new info! Rufus wants ta blast Sephiroth with that giant cannon an has moved it somewhere loaded with power ta fuel it!

HeX3ZBe.jpg
K8YfWGZ.jpg

Where? To Midgar! Duh! That thing totally wasn't there just minutes earlier before starting up the "music box" >.>

r8QMiB1.jpg
aUfW0m1.jpg

Over at Shinra HQ, they're patting themselves on the back for this new plan. Get another weirdly translated/phrased line out of this scene!

ftVv6AO.jpg

As the party is about to reboard the Highwind, the ground starts shaking unexpectedly...

SfKYBEz.jpg

...as Weapon emerges from the sea! Been awhile since one of those actively came looking for a fight.

cgo8gUt.jpg
NnrvMUg.jpg

Its heading towards Midgar but thats not an issue right? The big cannon has a good success rate against these things. But its not up an running yet which is a problem!

MwuepXg.jpg
gJMhSww.jpg

Tensions are high and You & Mr Meows are finally having some words.

kKzYykT.jpg
vmZkjBN.jpg

Its about time they get called out for the reactor bombings even if this isn't the best time ta do so.

xlIw6Ao.jpg

This has to step in and be kinda remorseful.

IIjkMF2.jpg
kJVrUxl.jpg

tKIZZzK.jpg
ItKWiHk.jpg

Then What has to step in and say "cram it lets go fight weapon!" Win or lose its more productive than standing around bickering with one another! Thats one way ta unify the party! Whats sounding like a real leader now!

Q2X5CVt.jpg

Soon... two great forces collide?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
How long does the game usually take you? I'm strapping in for 25-30 hours. Hope it won't take longer than that. I think today's games are waaaaay too long.

I think I spent maybe 40 hours in my last playthrough, but a lot of that was going through the PSP bonus dungeon several times and the post game Soul of Rebirth bonus dungeon. Without that it's about 25-30. It's significantly longer than FFI, but quite a bit shorter than the SNES games and FFIII. I tend to play slowly too. FFI takes me at least 20 hours.

Alucard

Banned
I think I spent maybe 40 hours in my last playthrough, but a lot of that was going through the PSP bonus dungeon several times and the post game Soul of Rebirth bonus dungeon. Without that it's about 25-30. It's significantly longer than FFI, but quite a bit shorter than the SNES games and FFIII. I tend to play slowly too. FFI takes me at least 20 hours.

FFI took me 25 hours with the four bonus dungeons. Sounds like this might take me longer.

It would really be cool to see a game that takes inspiration from FFVIII. I can see some potential with the SeeD rank system. In IX it's very simplistic how it increases and decreases. Throughout most of the game your only method for increasing it is taking tests or fighting lots of enemies and if you don't fight any it will go down.

We see that it's affected more in the early parts in the game: The rank you start out with is determined by how fast you beat Ifrit in the Fire Cavern, if you follow orders during the Dollet mission and talking to certain NPCs. You're not aware how any of this affects you until you get your grade mark and even then its ambiguous. I wasn't sure what gave me what points until years later when I read it on the net.

You also have a few minor parts where your rank can be affected. For the first time I found a scene where a student asks you to perform magic for him because he struggles with it. Squall casts Blizzard in the hallway, a staff member sees and penalizes you by dropping your SeeD rank.

I think in a spiritual successor they could play up with this a lot more. Have the military/mercenary organization where the player is sent on missions throughout the game. You'll have a test mission like in VIII where you're not sure what affects your rank, but afterwards you'll get a brief explanation of how you're being monitored on your missions and your decisions will affect your rank.

There will be multiple times when you'll have to make a dialogue choice and immediately after making the choice you'll see a bar that either fills up or decreases. Scanning new enemies increases your bar slightly, almost losing decreases it, and defeating enemies quickly increases the bar. Once the bar fills up you'll gain a rank and if it depletes all the way you lose a rank. Killing rare monsters gives you a lot of points as well.

You'll also get benefits when gaining ranks too. Maybe access to better equipment, new missions of course, and maybe vehicles.

A JRPG like this would be so dope to me.

BumRush

I'm so torn on FFV.

On one hand, I could (and do) lose hours messing with the Job System (which is brilliant). On the other hand, in my opinion the story and characters are middle-tier FF at best. Also, the graphics are outdated and the load times via the PS1 version are annoyingly laggy.

But that job system...

Alucard

Banned
I'm so torn on FFV.

On one hand, I could (and do) lose hours messing with the Job System (which is brilliant). On the other hand, in my opinion the story and characters are middle-tier FF at best. Also, the graphics are outdated and the load times via the PS1 version are annoyingly laggy.

But that job system...

I also have the PS1 version but I'm going to spring for a GBA cartridge on eBay because of said load times before battles. They break up the flow of the game too much. Same with FFVI.

SilverArrow20XX

Yeah. I still load up the GBA versions of FFV and FFVI on my Gameboy Player to my old CRT whenever I want to play them. They're really just better than the PSX versions except in music quality and some color issues, both of which I think there are mods for if you play on an emulator.

kswiston

The guilt of not continuing my FFT playthrough mounts. I had a major move that disrupted life for a few months. I also have a contract that is eating into most of the time I would have to play games.

That finishes in about a month though. I am hoping to return to my playthrough soon.

No must have titles for me until November will help.

Props to Lindsay for the great FF7 playthrough!

Platinumed Zodiac Age, that makes 8 Final Fantasy platinums

-Final Fantasy VII
-Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Final Fantasy XIII-2
-Lightning Returns
-Type 0
-Final Fantasy XV
-World of Final Fantasy

Wont platinum FFX or X-2 unless they put in a speed boost in.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah. I still load up the GBA versions of FFV and FFVI on my Gameboy Player to my old CRT whenever I want to play them. They're really just better than the PSX versions except in music quality and some color issues, both of which I think there are mods for if you play on an emulator.

People also forget that FF V and FF VI have sound effect/music issues on the PSX versions as well. The music is probably overall better on that version but the sound effects are much worse. Listen to the wind blowing or the tincture sound in the PSX version of FF VI. Awful. The sample is basically perfect on the GBA version.

I think I'm going to wait until the SNES mini comes out to continue my journey through the FF games.

FF1 I beat on the NES Mini in March
FF2 I beat on the GBA in April, also did the Rebirth dungeon.
FF3 I beat the 3DS version in June.
FF4 I beat the PSP version in June. Did not get around to doing Interlude/The After Years.
FF V I beat the GBA version SIX times as part of the Fiesta. June-August.
FF VI I'll start in September.
FF VII I have a mostly finished version I intend to beat in November.
Then I'm going to have to put some time in to beating VIII/IX/X/X-2 from then until March.

BumRush

The guilt of not continuing my FFT playthrough mounts. I had a major move that disrupted life for a few months. I also have a contract that is eating into most of the time I would have to play games.

That finishes in about a month though. I am hoping to return to my playthrough soon.

No must have titles for me until November will help.

Props to Lindsay for the great FF7 playthrough!

Swiss, are you playing Tactics on a portable?

kswiston

Swiss, are you playing Tactics on a portable?

Yes. I was playing the PSP version on my PSP, since that was the easiest to get screen captures for. I originally wanted to play that version on Vita, but I guess Sony didn't believe in enabling the screen capture function for PSP mode.

I tried the game on Android recently, but I couldn't get used to the touch controls. The game itself was perfectly fine, but I hated the controls.

Opa-Pa

FFV is a fantastic game and the PS1 version has a pretty bad translation while the GBA one has one of the best in the series, there's no contest.

GBA version even has new, better battle backgrounds.

Also the story and characters' simplicity is overstated. The villain is stupid silly indeed, but the main cast are very endearing and there are a couple twists here and there that are pretty good. I thought overall it was way more consistent than IV... Which isn't saying much, but yeah.

BumRush

Yes. I was playing the PSP version on my PSP, since that was the easiest to get screen captures for. I originally wanted to play that version on Vita, but I guess Sony didn't believe in enabling the screen capture function for PSP mode.

I tried the game on Android recently, but I couldn't get used to the touch controls. The game itself was perfectly fine, but I hated the controls.

I asked because - for me - when life gets hectic, portable is the only thing I CAN play

kswiston

I asked because - for me - when life gets hectic, portable is the only thing I CAN play

I do my contract work from home (often during the evening or on the weekend), so it becomes a discipline thing. If I start playing games, I'm not going to get enough done, so it's better not to start.

SOLDIER

In World of Final Fantasy, there's a small meta joke about an expansion pack.

I wonder if that's something that's actually happening. I really would love an improved follow-up to this game, but hearing that it didn't sell great (at least in Japan?) really bums me out.

This is literally the traditional turn-based FF game people were asking about, and the writing is some of the funniest I've seen in a long time. It deserves more love.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
up is down
down is up
first person is wtf
#redemption

Thats a fair summary of the 3 hour session I did last night @_@;

I think in a spiritual successor they could play up with this a lot more. Have the military/mercenary organization where the player is sent on missions throughout the game. You'll have a test mission like in VIII where you're not sure what affects your rank, but afterwards you'll get a brief explanation of how you're being monitored on your missions and your decisions will affect your rank.
The Trails of Cold Steel games do most of what you're mentioning (right/wrong dialogue options, completing given and hidden missions, get rewards for ranking up, etc.). And in those your party are students of a military academy so that part fits to. Couldn't say if it runs as deep or important as ya may want it to be or not though.

No guilt! Don't let it get to ya! These things take alot of time and effort! I was only doing a small handful of updates a month until finally finding the free time and groove ta get into doing one every other day.

This is literally the traditional turn-based FF game people were asking about, and the writing is some of the funniest I've seen in a long time. It deserves more love.
I really should try the demo for it sometime huh?

Opa-Pa

In World of Final Fantasy, there's a small meta joke about an expansion pack.

I wonder if that's something that's actually happening. I really would love an improved follow-up to this game, but hearing that it didn't sell great (at least in Japan?) really bums me out.

It saddens me that the Vita version seems go be a hideous, sub native res mess judging from the demo because I was gonna pick it up back in February.

I still plan to get it on PS4, but I'm so busy with other games that it'll have to wait...

BumRush

I do my contract work from home (often during the evening or on the weekend), so it becomes a discipline thing. If I start playing games, I'm not going to get enough done, so it's better not to start.

Yeah that makes complete sense. Would love to see you update it when you get some free time.

SilverArrow20XX

Playing through the creature endings, there have been a few that strongly imply that Shinra is actually
female.

In YAC-13's ending,
he short circuits when trying to analyze Shinra when he gets to gender.

In Skink's ending,
after failing to get a kiss from all the maidens he's approached, Shinra kisses him (It's left ambiguous if this actually cures his curse.)

In YAC-62's ending,
he's about to reveal Shinra's secret, but Shinra shuts him down before he can.

I'm surprised I've never heard this brought up before. Even his wiki page has no mention of it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
53V59Kr.jpg
fYFSfUK.jpg

Weapon is making its way towards Midgar at a super slowly pace. Which means plenty of time to explore that downed plane we heard about so long ago! Good stuff ta be found in here such as a Double Cut materia and Zennys ultimate weapon!

CtFYoM9.jpg

Bad stuff to. Ya pretty much don't wanna bother fighting these "Unknown" monsters. Time consuming and super annoying with status effects an stuff. Pretty much Shinra Mansion all over again!

dlTQS8O.jpg
WSNnmig.jpg

Rude & Reno are here to! They say the items here were made to beat Sephiroth, and that they'll take care of him. After stealing more goodies offa 'em they get a taste of Typhoon then scurry off like usual. For our final encounter with them it sure was run of the mill.

JZQmhmp.jpg

In the cargo room a hot new summon materia is found, and Goddamn T's ultimate limit break! Now that stuff'll come in handy against Weapon!

wygmwWP.jpg

Still not there yet huh? Good, cause What's got some things that need ta be set right!

RtCAG6g.jpg

Like snowboarding! His times down Icicle Inns slopes sucked! Over at Wonder Square the snowboarding games opened up! But What just wants ta have tea time with a Moogle so lets call in our ringer!

2mc15VG.jpg
fgr4XB3.jpg
fzntCOk.jpg

This comes up to bat and gets a Good rating on the Beginner, Expert, and Crazy courses! Which unlocks a time attack mode! That mode removes all obstacles and greatly boosts your speed! Rumor has it theres a way to unlock even higher speeds... but I'm content enough with how the snowboarding skills have improved!

zioFx2M.jpg
BCOYRRH.jpg
iREQinp.jpg

Previously, What failed at the second stage of Mog House. Not the case this time! He gets the little critter to fly and impress Mag!

ajUQYGH.jpg

o.o; Where'd all those lil mogs come from all of a sudden?

v2AD0o1.jpg
9mJX9ZW.jpg

What failed the huge materia submarine mission but they still made a game about it! Now here's the thing: he wasn't working with all of the controls in mind. The manual he read left some things out...

BG3ZGcc.jpg
CbW1hRt.jpg

First of all R2 switches the camera between several different views including first person for that true submarine motion sickness feel! More importantly is that sonar they talk up. Thats R1. Pressing that zooms the camera way out to give a wide area view an if enemy subs are in your zone you'll get an idea of where they are. Oh an L1/L2 do stationary ascend/descend incase ya wanna be a camper.

WJIq0ey.jpg

After learning all of this, What successfully beat all 5 missions! An thats with the enemy subs speed and armor increasing quite a ways from first mission to last!

bLAZRf2.jpg

And heyyyy. 3D Battler! Last time What got knocked out by the 3rd fighter. After dumping much time and money into the game, he finally took him down! The mysterious masked fighter that came next annihilated him which is to be expected. The dudes unbeatable sans extreme luck or cheating. Allegedly theres a 5th fighter but no ones ever seen him/her...

f2vod6b.jpg

An still one more thing What needs ta atone for: his ultimate limit breaks been here for the taking since late disc 1. Alot of stuff was happening back then, plus it was double the price it is now but still!

cJBoJwQ.jpg

While there, the party fought long and hard enough to get the needed BP for Speed Plus and W-Summon materia! An not once did they get ripped off an have their time wasted by cheap nonsense. Nope nope...

mP7fQun.jpg
cUjLaJ5.jpg

After all that arena battling coming back to the world map and hearing its music still playing made the party wanna go fight Weapon to put an end to that song! Diamond likes to stomp and shoot light shells and thats it. If it has a signature move they didn't get to see it! After many many turns of Trine Mime it turns away and leaves. Don't forget to steal a weapon for Zenny from it!

sUsuBsC.jpg
d8dpiRw.jpg
NKH7hMS.jpg

With Diamond pulling an Ultimate the party is now 0 / 2 against Weapon. Can't call it a draw cause its going off to continue doing its thing. They didn't stop it or save anybody / thing!

MQzwwtY.jpg

Around nows when the cannon is good ta go an Rufus is giving 'em the go ahead to fire. He about to get another kill?

PkqZpNr.jpg
J2xSQ95.jpg

All of them reactors are firing up into overdrive mode! So much so that the whole city suffers from a brownout!

ePT6ftY.jpg
cw0l87I.jpg

And then? What else? It fires!!

OCONBnd.jpg

Its only now that Diamond unleashes its own full burst of weapons. Guess the party wasn't worth wasting those on.

TBCaCRg.jpg

One full charged shot vs a buncha scattered shots. Which'll come out on top?

1KYsniZ.jpg
7fGEMRL.jpg

Charge shot has piercing effect! Thats game right there. Shinra are 2 / 0 against Weapon!

7sroUy0.jpg
AyN0uiI.jpg

And it keeps going! All the way up to Sephiroths barrier until it wipes it entirely away!

VAnEJFq.jpg
HjbyjM0.jpg

Diamond may be down for the count but its shots aren't just gonna fizzle out! They've slowly and surely been seeking their target...

Aq2Dppr.jpg
cumjq7s.jpg
sMaOtxm.jpg

Rufus Shinra. He never bled. He never cried. An you're sorely mistaken if ya think he just died!

KCsEPta.jpg

Oh you know he's just lounging around down there fucking about.

ZSiNxjG.jpg

Just shutup and get back in the box Dracula. Real tired of your dumb singluar character trait. Why'd we hire this lamer again?

2ATnyM3.jpg

Zenny on the other hand is great! Even when her dialogue comes out mangled! Anyhow lets go check out the northern crater!

0M0wCMi.jpg

Wait why're we here? Sure the party parked the airship by Junon and rode around on ULTROS but cutscenes showed 'em back onboard and in the Midgar area. How does that work? I think the world must be trying ta point the party in the direction of further redemption!

sphinx

the piano man
I am on a work related two-week trip abroad

I can hardly wait to get back home in my bed and complete that Sphere Grid on FFX, beat everything, get the platinum and all.

Meesh

Anyone in the know, know how the Wonder Swan FF games were? Are they worth it for the price of the hard ware?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Anyone in the know, know how the Wonder Swan FF games were? Are they worth it for the price of the hard ware?

Graphically, the PS1 versions took after FFI and FFII WonderSwan. So they are good in that department.

Gameplay-wise, no idea.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
crdWeNG.jpg

Ultimate Weapon is just hovering around over by here and the partys still bitter over the last encounter with it, so its rematch time! No foolin' around either. What casts Knights of the Round right at the start and... Ultimate survives to flee again! Grr!

q5QsnWr.jpg

This time it pops up over near Cosmo Canyon and the knights are brought in again!

DM1Zl6D.jpg
hseIemT.jpg

That causes it to cast the enemy skill Shadow Flare and... to die! Yay! The party is now 1 / 2 against Weapon!

3jdP0HE.jpg

In addition to dropping What's ultimate weapon, the Ultima Sword, Ultimate Weapon crashes into the ground and explodes. Leaving behind a path to walk up to the Ancient Forest... not that we needed one.

FQSbFAd.jpg
XV9fFVh.jpg

Those 50 other battle arena victorys only mildly convinced her the party is strong? Sheesh. The rumored special battle is now open! For What. No one else allowed. In there are some baddies we've not seen before like Behemoth!

GuLB00p.jpg
BCC0pAl.jpg

And this giant mech called Proud Clod which is the final challenge. It gets knights'd like all the rest! For winning these very special battles What gets the Final Attack materia! Redoing it again and again nets him weird useless do-nothing items like Dio's Autograph ~_~?

WhsJC3e.jpg

The barriers gone and What's ready ta drop on in there and give Sephiroth a wakeup call!

0DfSSHJ.jpg
bIXAKcl.jpg
D23ZQsX.jpg

Until Mr Meows starts kicking up a fuss! Heidegger can't reach Rufus on the phone but Reeve's more concerned about something going down at the cannon. Seems like someones taken manual control of it!

3upX7pr.jpg
EDsQ6ac.jpg

Heidegger isn't to happy with Reeve telling him to place a call to the cannon which is pretty damn petty given the situation.

1r93JcS.jpg

Hojo's behind this latest incident? He seems hell bent on firing another shot Sephiroth's way.

FPl2XUx.jpg
gixLe8W.jpg

Shutting down the reactors would normally be an easy task. Except with the current setup to the cannon, once the mako's flowing, forcibly stopping it would cause a huge explosion!

4A3GSMe.jpg
1eGr9mU.jpg
3NaCCYf.jpg

Heidegger is more concerned with fighting What and the others than the fact that he could be blown up at any moment. So him and Scarlet are heading out with a brand new weapon ta greet the party. They also place Reeve under arrest as an added insult.

gNEYrM7.jpg
ubpgYuX.jpg

Hojo's kinda like What. He lacked the talent to make it in the big leagues without faking his way to the top and eliminating his rivals.

0BbX3Ov.jpg

-.- Old man why're you still on board?

bcJqmcD.jpg

Oh man, our pilot is pumped!

BHV0X64.jpg
x6f6K0s.jpg

...but first before heading to Midgar why not poke about the world? Cause as always news travels lightning fast!

aSF7M0W.jpg

Why? I'd say things are looking up see as how we can go attack the source of the problem!

JIK0P08.jpg

Our secret ally got orders to join the "Great Sephiroth Plan" but is ignoring 'em an waiting out the potential final days here.

1NdsOde.jpg

...? Think we'll just ignore this an continue on.

lnX5GUX.jpg
FJsfTm4.jpg

Being this close to the crater the people here musta got quite a good view of the cannon on barrier action!

zjS2pt3.jpg
uS1s8if.jpg

You and This feel like theres no way into Midgar considering the current circumstances. Oh how quickly they lose hope.

llFArIR.jpg
oYGpsVU.jpg

Exactly! Hope no ones afraid of heights!

YMZrSyf.jpg
BazymOJ.jpg
D3MK7IO.jpg

As leader What is the first one to jump with the others fearlessly following after!

So I've decided to return to FFXIII after seven years to mop up the last 4 trophies, I'm trying to beat a Shaolong Gui but I've largely forgotten how the battle system works and I'm struggling to get my head around it, this ain't gonna be easy!

SilverArrow20XX

Oof. Got my ass kicked by Almighty Shinra today. I think my current fiend party could beat him fairly easily if I could control them. They're at around level 50. Other than him, I've got just 7 Fiend Tails left, and they're all gated behind level 5 chocobos. So now I'm farming chocobos in the Thunder Plains with level 2 YRP, wearing Minerva Plates for no EXP.

Update: I've captured every fiend that is gotten through traps. Just got the human recruits from the Farplane Cup and Almighty Shinra left. Then it's time to prep for Major Numerus.

drabnon

I finished Final Fantasy X for the first time a few days ago (FFX/X2 HD Remaster). What a game.

1. Graphics/Art

Obviously it's a PS2 game, and it shows. However, I really like the character designs. Auron in particular stands out to me as a great character, both in personality and design. He's a freaking one-armed samurai with sunglasses. It doesn't get much better than that.

2. Gameplay

The turn-based combat is done really well in this game. The ability to switch between party members on the fly encourages a more dynamic play style and the sphere grid system is a pretty satisfying way to level up characters. I'm not sure about the equipment system, though. It took some time to get used to a game where the equipment is not necessarily better or worse. There is no "compare" screen to look at differing stats between weapons and accessories, just attributes. Overall I liked it, though. I still don't like the random battle aspect. It never resonated with me, even when I played FF7. This is what I liked about Chrono Trigger, where you could see the enemies coming, at least. The sphere puzzles in the temples are tedious but not difficult, and are all relatively short.

3. Music

Holy crap this game has some good music. Most notably "Suteki Da Ne", which is a recurring theme throughout the game. However, I also like the battle music, boss music, and the song that plays on the Thunder Plains. The only music I really dislike is the "metal/screamo" imitation that plays over the "Braska's Final Aeon" fight. It bothers me.

4. Story and characters

I like a lot of what's going on here. The story is really strong. Now, I do have issues with the voice acting, which has obviously been synced up with the original animation, leading to line reads that are super unnatural. I'm also not particularly fond of Yuna's voice actress. However, the cast is still obviously very talented in spite of this. All of the characters are pretty fleshed out and well realized. Most of the cast gets his or her moment to shine (Wakka in Luca, Kimahri at Mount Gagazet, Yuna at Bevelle, etc.) Wakka got on my nerves with his Al Bhed racism but I liked how it was resolved. And I really enjoy the relationship between Tidus and Yuna. It feels natural and is completely in service of the story. Tidus's relationship with Jecht is also pretty well done.

My biggest issue with the story is by far Seymour. I know he has some backstory but it's not really expanded upon in the game, so he just comes off as an annoying unsympathetic douche. On top of that, he just keeps coming back. By the fourth time I fought him I was rolling my eyes. He's just not a compelling villain. Also, his genocide of the Rhonso felt really tacked on. Was that a translation error or something? I find it hard to believe he killed every single Rhonso except for Kimahri, as we're shown Rhonso wandering the lands outside of Gagazet.

Overall it's a great game, and I finished it at around 42 hours. I give it 8/10. VII is still my favorite, but X is a close second at the moment.

I have started on Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age and it was a bit of a shock for me. I have never played or watched any of XII before, so I was unaware that it moved away from turn-based gameplay and a less linear progression than previous Final Fantasies. I'm enjoying it a lot (although I dislike the main character, Vaan, quite a bit; there's just no depth there so far). I really like the Sky Pirate and Airships theme. Balthier is basically Han Solo and he's great. I like the political intrigue of Archadia/Dalmasca/Rozarria. I'm 30 hours in and can't wait to play more.

SilverArrow20XX

I just noticed that all my available Battle Simulator fights were removed in New Game Plus. That's really dumb since you keep all of the Cups you've unlocked. You need to rewatch Fiend Tail endings that unlock fights to get them back too. I didn't delve much into it on my first playthrough but just noticed that my Youth League Cup fights and Mega Tonberry were gone.

Working on unlocking the whole list. Then I'll have 100% completed Shinra's entire dossier except for the Almighty Shinra entry.

I don't think anyone likes that one, horrible way to end such a good game

It was great and fit Jecht perfectly. This rough superstar from a futuristic metropolis that doesn't fit in in Spira gets a song that sounds like it comes from where he's from. An otherworld. I thought it was amazing when I first heard it in the intro.

It got a great rendition from with a female vocalist from The Black mages too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90nyB9dKjG8

SilverArrow20XX

Made it to the finals of the Farplane Cup against Trema with my Fiend team. It's looking like I'm going to win.......but it's gonna take about an hour at this rate.

Edit: 20 minutes later, Trema just used Meteor, signifying I'm half way there. I survived it pretty easily, so I'm pretty positive this is in the bag now. I'm gonna grind to 99 before tackling this cup again though. My Tonberry's Darkness hits for around 7300, which is the only significant damage I'm doing to him. My defense is sky high though, and my Goon has infinite Elixirs.

Edit: Another 10 minutes and another Meteor, signifying 75%. Right on time. Should take about 10 more minutes. Unless I get one shot by Ultima, which generally does less damage than Meteor, I should win.

Edit: Like clockwork. 5 minutes later Ultima signifies the 87.5% point. Shouldn't be any more dangerous attacks.

Edit: Finally. Fight took about 45 minutes. Yuck. Fine for a one time boss, but as a single fight in a tournament it's kinda stupid.

Yeah. That's weird. Usually only takes around 20 kills. It's apparently random per file though, so maybe you just got a super unlucky high number requirement.

Started it back up last night. Fought 1 tonberry and then the king showed up. I always remember this summon being pretty weak and now I feel like I wasted these two hours. Is there a reason to use Tonberry?

BumRush

Finally finished FFV.

Overall, I regret playing the PS1 version as the laggy-ness put me off a bit and may have contributed to some of my negativity. Also, I've recently played versions of other FFs with a plus-speed mode which I REALLY needed here (not the game's fault), especially with two ninjas using Sshot every turn.

As for the game itself, it was good, not great. The Job System is amazing - and you can create a pretty OP squad - but I felt like that was the only above average thing about the game. I felt little to no connection to the characters (other than Galuf), the story was batshit in a not-so-great way, the graphics were outdated and the soundtrack was bottom tier FF.

Definitely glad I crossed this one off the list (only have 2 & 3 left, plus the MMOs which I'll never play), I just wanted more.

Alucard

Banned
Spent a bit of time grinding in the first quarter of Final Fantasy II, so think I should be good for the remainder of the game.

Is there any reason NOT to wield two weapons in the game? My defense hasn't taken a massive hit, and bosses have been manageable so far.

Alucard

Banned
Finally finished FFV.

Overall, I regret playing the PS1 version as the laggy-ness put me off a bit and may have contributed to some of my negativity. Also, I've recently played versions of other FFs with a plus-speed mode which I REALLY needed here (not the game's fault), especially with two ninjas using Sshot every turn.

As for the game itself, it was good, not great. The Job System is amazing - and you can create a pretty OP squad - but I felt like that was the only above average thing about the game. I felt little to no connection to the characters (other than Galuf), the story was batshit in a not-so-great way, the graphics were outdated and the soundtrack was bottom tier FF.

Definitely glad I crossed this one off the list (only have 2 & 3 left, plus the MMOs which I'll never play), I just wanted more.

One of the reveals in FFIII really surprised me and made me go "whoa." I actually really enjoyed that one despite it admittedly not being super memorable. It also has a job system that you might like. I'm assuming you'll be playing the 3D DS version.

SilverArrow20XX

I just discovered that the Star rating you give your fiend team in FFX-2 merely affects how much damage they take/do. So you're supposed to go down to 1 star while the enemy attacks and 5 stars while you attack.

After I discovered this, I started doing very well against Almighty Shinra......until I accidentally fled. Apparently 0 stars is flee. Haven't saved in about 5 hours and that probably just screwed my Finale ability. Oh well.

Edit: Finally! I beat him.......now to release him to get his fiend tale and do it one more time.

Edit: Beat him again on my first try. Last Resort Garment Grid is super over powered. It comes with Hero's Stash, where your fiend can just throw invincibility potions for free.

Edit: Sweet Jesus. Almighty Shinra breaking damage limit at level 10 and HP limit at level 20. I know I have him wearing an Iron Duke but still.

marcincz

Started Final Fantasy XIII two days ago. So far, I am surprised, but positively. Beyond ultra fast battle system it's still old, good FF game. I like it. Damn, I really like.

PixelatedBookake

Started it back up last night. Fought 1 tonberry and then the king showed up. I always remember this summon being pretty weak and now I feel like I wasted these two hours. Is there a reason to use Tonberry?

I only got Tonberry just to say I got Tonberry. Plus I just like Tonberries in general. Did you end up getting Bahamut? I could never get him due to the bullshit his sunken laboratory was .

Top Bottom