• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail coming to Steam

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It will most likely be the opposite next gen. Getting on Steam is far more attractive to indie devs than XBLA at this point. Microsoft really dropped the ball.

Man I still remember the days when even Aquaria couldn't get on Steam for awhile because Valve wasn't really receptive to indies at the time.

Doffen

Is XBLA finally officially dead then?

Not even close.
Announced exclusives (/timed) for 2013:

Ascend: New Gods
BattleBlock Theater
Charlie Murder
CastleStorm
Crimson Dragon
LocoCycle
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Motocross Madness
Super Time Force

State of Decay will also be released first on Xbox.

KNT-Zero

After having FEZ and others also hit up Steam, we only need Spelunky HD to arrive on Steam as well to declare XBLA obsolete... or at least really limited on exclusivities.
EDIT: So yeah, I just read this after posting:
Not even close.
Announced exclusives (/timed) for 2013:

Ascend: New Gods
BattleBlock Theater
Charlie Murder
CastleStorm
Crimson Dragon
LocoCycle
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Motocross Madness
Super Time Force

State of Decay will also be released first on Xbox.
Still don't know if that would make XBLA rise FROM DUST. Get it? :p

I heard wonders on this game, so I might as well keep an eye on it :)

Saty

XBLA's 'death' is more about the miserable sales of the (timed) exclusives and pretty much every developer ending with a sour taste about the service and deciding to never sign a (timed) exclusive contract again with Microsoft.

Hana-Bi

It will most likely be the opposite next gen. Getting on Steam is far more attractive to indie devs than XBLA at this point. Microsoft really dropped the ball.

Well, your game will be published by MS and released on XBLA, later your game ends on Steam... Why should this be less attractive then just release on Steam without a big publisher?

Retne

Well, your game will be published by MS and released on XBLA, later your game ends on Steam... Why should this be less attractive then just release on Steam without a big publisher?

More money for you and greater choice of platforms. I would imagine devs would want to self publish through steam and sony these days since you get a bigger slice of profit without having to deal with a middle man.

Because it means your game will be languishing on XBLA while you wait for the exclusivity contract to be up when it could be making much more money right away if you got on Steam. Granted getting on XBLA helps with getting on Steam but the sales potential between the two stores is like a night and day difference.

Hana-Bi

More money for you and greater choice of platforms. I would imagine devs would want to self publish through steam and sony these days since you get a bigger slice of profit without having to deal with a middle man.

Well, a publisher will probably finance parts of your game / marketing / etc. so you don't have to fear some financial issues before releasing your game...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
If XBLA is dead because the excellent games get ported then what state is PSN in? They don't get the games at all.

I'm pretty sure PSN is getting a shitload of great games, and Sony has been pretty good at keeping some of them as exclusives.

Because it means your game will be languishing on XBLA while you wait for the exclusivity contract to be up when it could be making much more money right away if you got on Steam. Granted getting on XBLA helps with getting on Steam but the sales potential between the two stores is like a night and day difference.

Here is a little secret, a lot of indies don't sell on Steam either until the big sales and bundles.

Nabs

I'm pretty sure PSN is getting a shitload of great games, and Sony has been pretty good at keeping them as exclusives.

A lot of the recent PSN games are coming to PC. There's something like a 6-12 month exclusive window.

Zia

I don't think a platform can be considered dead when some of the best games of the gen remain exclusive, and stuff like Super Time Force is still on the way.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Was this really developed by a single guy?

Art, design, and programming was all by one guy. Voice acting and music was done by others, and the story had some help too.

So the credits were a little longer than one person, but this was still Dean Dodrill's game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! I almost bought this after hearing Brad Shoemaker talk about it on the Giant Bombcast, but I really didn't want to play it on the Xbox. Glad I held out until now.

Montresor

I'm pretty sure PSN is getting a shitload of great games, and Sony has been pretty good at keeping some of them as exclusives.

I think this post is pretty illuminating and can explain why people are confused at the "xbla is dead" comments. Me, personally, I don't care at all if a piece of software is exclusive or not. And I think many Xbox owners feel the same way. XBLA continues to get nice games and I'll continue to enjoy them. If Steam/PC users also get to enjoy those same games, that's a great thing.

gabbre

I'll buy it and do my best to suffer through the furry art
Same thing, the game seems cool but I really don't like the art style
During the conference he said that initially the game was a 16-bit graphics game starring humans, Castlevania like (or at least that's what I understood, my english is not perfect)

If XBLA is dead because the excellent games get ported then what state is PSN in? They don't get the games at all.

Clearly if GAF says XBLA is dead, its dead. Nevermind that I played this game about 6 months ago (not sure when it released). This fantasy that XBLA is "dead" perplexes me- I know some of you want it to be true but XBLA is a thriving platform.

Dust releasing on XBLA was great as he got a great deal of marketing (from development onwards there are a lot of people who knew about Dust).

And people complaining about the "furry" art- grow up. You must be disgusted at those who like Big Bird and Looney Tunes. This game is amazing and to use that as a reason to dislike this game is mindblowing. I'm happy more people will get to experience this gem.

Tomcat

the problem with steam is the steam sales. even if they are more sales on steam most of them are on 50-75% off deals on these arcade games. So at the end of the day the developer may get more money from xbla than steam even if the latter sold more (which even that is questionable)

Here is a little secret, a lot of indies don't sell on Steam either until the big sales and bundles.

Yes which is why sales and profit potential are far higher on Steam. You can set the prices to what you want when you want. And sales are happening all the time. ON XBLA its only whenever Microsoft says so and you have to price it at what Microsoft tells you.

the problem with steam is the steam sales. even if they are more sales on steam most of them are on 50-75% off deals on these arcade games. So at the end of the day the developer may get more money from xbla than steam even if the latter sold more (which even that is questionable)
Talk with pretty much any indie dev who participates in Steam sales and you'll hear pretty much the same story. Devs can make more revenue and profit from a single day of Steam sales then they did in their entire run on XBLA.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...-and-why-thats-good-news-for-developers-and-p
“The bulk of our revenue to date has come from sales,” he explained. “On the first day of the Steam summer sale, we earned more money than Jamestown’s entire earnings up to that point times three.

I could dig up dozens of article all pretty much saying the same thing.

PSN has the following games as exclusives:

• Spelunker HD
  • Tales from Space: About a Blob
  • FAT PRINCESS
  • MUSHROOM WARS
  • PixelJunk games
  • Dead Nation
  • FLOWER
  • SUPER STARDUST HD
  • Journey
  • Sound Shapes
  • Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
  • The Unfinished Swan
  • Papo & Yo

What does XBLA have in comparison?

Salsa

• Spelunker HD
  • FAT PRINCESS
  • MUSHROOM WARS
  • PixelJunk games (one of them)
  • Dead Nation
  • FLOWER
  • SUPER STARDUST HD
  • Journey
  • Sound Shapes
  • The Unfinished Swan
  • Papo & Yo

bolded are on Steam/Steam registry

then again you might just be talking console-wise

I hope dean makes good money from selling on steam, he really deserves more then the small pool of buyers on the 360.

Will be double dipping for sure.

Tomcat

• Spelunker HD
  • FAT PRINCESS
  • MUSHROOM WARS
  • PixelJunk games
  • Dead Nation
  • FLOWER
  • SUPER STARDUST HD
  • Journey
  • Sound Shapes
  • The Unfinished Swan
  • Papo & Yo

list wars
one more evidence that next gen wars are upon us lol

Not true especially since games sell for a lot longer on steam.

Montresor

Ugh. I'll apologize for contributing towards this fucking inane discussion. I'm not going to respond to that post by 1st course.

All I'll say is that Dust is an incredible game. I'm part of the camp that thinks the art style is objectively bad - the hand-drawn style or whatever you call it just doesn't translate well onto the screen. But once the characters start speaking, and the story unfolds, and you start to partake in the wicked fast-paced combat system, the game truly shines.

I think my favourite part of the story is the way it approaches moral ambiguity. I won't say anymore since I don't want to spoil it. Also, it was god damn funny, with your furry (lol) companion breaking the 4th wall a couple of times.

• Spelunker HD
  • FAT PRINCESS
  • MUSHROOM WARS
  • PixelJunk games
  • Dead Nation
  • FLOWER
  • SUPER STARDUST HD
  • Journey
  • Sound Shapes
  • The Unfinished Swan
  • Papo & Yo

Papo & Yo is in the Steam registry.

bolded are on Steam/Steam registry

then again you might just be talking console-wise

Also, isn't the next PixelJunk a PC exclusive?

Seda

I'm part of the camp that thinks the art style is objectively bad.

I'm indifferent to this particular art style (most of the time art style doesn't really do anything for me, in either direction), but statements like this perplex me. Does that mean anybody who happens to like the art style has an objectively wrong opinion?

Montresor

I'm indifferent to this particular art style (most of the time art style doesn't really do anything for me, in either direction), but statements like this perplex me. Does that mean anybody who happens to like the art style has an objectively wrong opinion?

It was a dumb statement on my part. My answer to your bolded question is "No."

Top Bottom