• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

African tribes hunting with spears in Africa... most depressing video I've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

Didn't really feel anything til the elephant part...sad to see it pulling spears out with its trunk, but that's life.

And yea, like above, this is tame compared to the shit that goes on in meat farms.

I thought it was cool when the elephant tried throwing the spear back at them. That was pretty bad ass, actually. I felt respect for it. But you know an elephant would feed a lot of people.

Playing Age of Empires taught me that.

.GqueB.

Banned
Didn't really feel anything til the elephant part...sad to see it pulling spears out with its trunk, but that's life.

And yea, like above, this is tame compared to the shit that goes on in meat farms.

That may or may not be true to be fair. The way the animal exist before the slaughter perhaps. These animals are running free before they are killed whereas on farms thats rarely the case.

But we don't know how if these guys are actually killing the animals correctly before they start skinning and chopping them up. The animals could very well be alive during that whole process.

Which even happens in factory farming when the methods are a bit more thought out and methodical.

Juuuuuuuuuust sayin...

Zeekaas

Not even gonna watch. But what do you expect a tribe to do? They can't exactly go to the vegan supermarket.
They are part of the natural food chain, and could well be killed and eaten themselves (e.g. lion, crocodile).
So while this is indeed unsettling and I hope that someday every tribe will have arrived on a civilized level, it isn't that much different from a cheetah killing a gazelle.

Some people don't eat meat. Amazing, huh?
/openfuckingthread

Civilized.... oh please. Our "civilized" means of killing animals isn't any better than hunting.

Civilized.... oh please. Our "civilized" means of killing animals isn't any better than hunting.
duh. They are way worse because the animal suffers its whole life in a cramped cage instead of a few minutes.
I was thinking along the lines of in vitro meat or a vegetarian diet.

It's the most endangered large animal in the continent

lol wat
Black and white rhino both say hi.

Derwind

But neither I nor the person I quoted implied this.

I'd say that, in general, we westerners treat our animals far worse during their lives ("product not yet in stores"), but the method to kill them is probably less painful and more swift than stabbing a huge animal slowly until it dies. The end result is still not in our favor though. At least in the case of tribes hunting, the animal had a decent chance at a good life in its own environment. We offer nothing like that to animals.

I was speaking in general terms. I didn't mean to suggest you were saying this.

.GqueB.

Banned

In many cases it is. I think you mean our general methods of getting the meat into the mouths of our population isn't any better. The killing part is generally what we try to do right.

It's everything else that sucks.

I think the hippo was worse than the elephant. Although the elephant did get one in the eye. It's amazing how it was ripping the stick out with its trunk and chucking it away.

bhytre

Slitting throats while tied up ain't more friendly either.
It's the whole nature of preying on one another that is vile by itself if you think about it.

They should obviously only be eating vegetables, all they have to do is complement their diet with high protein nuts and the occasional supplement.

Zeekaas

Killing with a single bullet isn't better than hunting an animal down for hours on end using ten-foot spears?

Sadly most don't get killed bye a single bullet. Most in cramped cages and if the still live electrocution or something else but no bullets (expensive as fuck).

RSP

In many cases it is. I think you mean our general methods of getting the meat into the mouths of our population isn't any better. The killing part is generally what we try to do right.

Agreed. I think Africa Addio showed that even though the tribes have access to a more "modern" way of hunting, they simply refuse and will only use the "old ways" to gather food.

This is not only the case with hunting, but also with agriculture, hygiene and so on. This causes many of the tribes to barely develop even though they have been exposed to new technologies for decades.

Sadly most don't get killed bye a single bullet. Most in cramped cages and if the still live electrocution or something else but no bullets (expensive as fuck).

On the case of how we treat our animals in preparation to become our dinner, point taken, its horrible. But on the topic of hunting specifically, it's just barbaric.

danwarb

Whether or not you felt anything doesn't lessen the suffering of this or any animal. I can't get around that. Even though nature is indifferent to pain and fear in death, that is still the experience.

"That's life" doesn't make it better, or easier to ignore. Nature can fuck right off.

Edit: I totally misread your post.

I was speaking in general terms. I didn't mean to suggest you were saying this.

Yeah, I assumed this. I didn't want to single you out either. :)

But threads with a subject like this are very touchy touchy on gaf, so people often remark on opinions that aren't even expressed in said threads. :) It happens a lot. See how vegetarianism is already dragged into this by a few people, as if the OP made any statement pro or against it. People express radical opinions, assuming the "anonymous gaffer" is their antagonist on it. /ramble

its pretty brutal. The life before death and the kill itself. Watch some documentaries exposing inhumane slaughterhouses.

Onemic

That may or may not be true to be fair. The way the animal exist before the slaughter perhaps. These animals are running free before they are killed whereas on farms thats rarely the case.

But we don't know how if these guys are actually killing the animals correctly before they start skinning and chopping them up. The animals could very well be alive during that whole process.

Which even happens in factory farming when the methods are a bit more thought out and methodical.

Juuuuuuuuuust sayin...

considering they were constantly stabbing the animals after they had fallen down, I highly doubt that would be the case.

shaowebb

Its really sad as far as how crap it is to hunt with those things, but I'm just a nature lover so it kind of messed with me on other levels to watch them drop those animals. Yes I know they have to because of food and I'm not gonna whip out a moral argument because thats stupid in this scenario.

I'm just saying I don't handle watching animals die in any context very well. I'm gonna go watch bunnies and kittens now on youtube and remember the petting zoo...

King Boo

i am impressed with how the elephant fought them off for so long. no wonder in civ 3, the elephant unit was so strong.

.GqueB.

Banned
its pretty brutal. The life before death and the kill itself. Watch some documentaries exposing inhumane slaughterhouses.

I've seen the documentaries (I'm vegetarian). I'm just saying that the killing aspect is meant to be swift and efficient. I just took issue with him saying their methods of killing are better than ours. They generally aren't.

At least not in this video which is what that post implied.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I actually found the video pretty fascinating. I've never seen African tribes hunt in large groups like that before.

Thought the music was waaaay over the top too...

Nevasleep

But you know an elephant would feed a lot of people.

Playing Age of Empires taught me that.

My thoughts too.
screen09.jpg

Anyway it's life, who cares, people just sad they ain't eating at McDonalds?

Eating meat doesn't mean you can't also be disgusted or saddened by watching another living thing be killed right in front of you. What the fuck is wrong with some of you?

NO ONE is saying the people in that video are wrong for what they're doing.

Killing with a single bullet isn't better than hunting an animal down for hours on end using ten-foot spears?

Except we don't raise the animals in natural settings before we kill them. Most of the time.

But on the topic of hunting specifically, it's just barbaric.

A large number of farms raise the animals in terrible conditions. I'd say that is far more barbaric than hunting.

Just imagine if we didn't have people killing our food for us.

Through the power of science we will make robots that do the hunting.
Then one will question why am i hunting. And he will hunt on us.
aka the Geth.

And im getting hyped for ME3 sorry.

Actually found it a cool movie.
Its nature and fuck just watch animal planet i think i saw a group of lions attack a elephant only difference was they clawed the elephant instead of spearing it.

And dam those hippo had some power in them. It almost looked like a porcupine.

Sort of like going back in time and seeing how early humans hunted.

You don't really have to go that far back in time though. Some places in the world never picked up farming (which only popped up around 11,000 years ago IIRC), and still subsisted on hunting/gathering. See: Australian aboriginals.

Where did the OP ever say it was wrong? All he said was it's hard to watch. I swear some of you hit refresh on the OT all day looking for opportunities to scold people.

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5

Come on, man. I need to get outraged or scold someone. Gimme a hit.

Onemic

On the case of how we treat our animals in preparation to become our dinner, point taken, its horrible. But on the topic of hunting specifically, it's just barbaric.

How is it barbaric exactly? Especially considering you don't think raising them in farms and killing them is?

Arcteryx

I've seen the documentaries (I'm vegetarian). I'm just saying that the killing aspect is meant to be swift and efficient. I just took issue with him saying their methods of killing are better than ours. They generally aren't.

At least not in this video which is what that post implied.

What I meant by that is the methods available to them. We could have MUCH more "humane" methods, not to mention efficient ones, but we don't.

At least these animals had a chance to survive out in the wild, something that can't be said about most animals in meat farms.

I was looking at it from a big picture pov, not necessarily just discussing the killing but also taking into account the existence of the animals.

I'm more inclined to side with the tribe fighting for their food over the man walking down an assembly line slicing the necks of pigs.

Fritz

Somehow I still think all the empathy for animals is unnatural and a result of TV teaching us to project human traits on to them.

The most outspoken self-proclaimed animal "lovers" are often pretty wack fellows.

RSP

How is it barbaric exactly? Especially considering you don't think raising them in farms and killing them is?

Since these tribes often choose to ignore any form of modern technologies to help them hunt. I'm not even talking about making it easier on the animals, I'm just talking about the whole damn tribe hunting down a single animal instead of just a couple of hunters shooting an animal and providing food for everybody without a problem.

Watch Africa Addio, and you'll see what I mean.

Onemic

Somehow I still think all the empathy for animals is unnatural and a result of TV teaching us to project human traits on to them.

The most outspoken self-proclaimed animal "lovers" are often pretty wack fellows.

PETA

Since these tribes often choose to ignore any form of modern technologies to help them hunt. I'm not even talking about making it easier on the animals, I'm just talking about the whole damn tribe hunting down a single animal instead of just a couple of hunters shooting an animal and providing food for everybody without a problem.

And that makes them barbaric? wat. Tell us how you really feel.

Africa Addio or any of the Mondo Cane films should never be used for factual investigation.

xbhaskarx

This video is interesting, but it's no... Shakespeare
12564-24691.gif

African tribes hunting with spears in Africa... most depressing video I've seen

I'm glad you added "in Africa" so we know these are not African tribes hunting with spears on other continents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom