• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

e_i

Goddamn. Dream Theater is coming near me (like ten minutes away in Asbury) as part of their Images and Words tour.

Hesemonni

Banned
The best BM drummer posts a video of them rehearsing the best song from their best album. Colour me excited.

Video.

Emperor - Ye Entrancemperium

I was supposed to go see them in Czech, but family arrangements ruined that.

ShaneB

Forest Seasons..

Spring - Awesome
Summer - Awesome
Autumn - no thanks (this just really randomly abruptly ends right?)
Winter - no thanks again..

the new Pagan Altar is finally being released on August 24th for digital, CD, and MC formats. LP to follow in late September.

a3612149361_10.jpg

preview "Dance of the Vampires".

getting incredibly hype to say the least. My 70 mile weekend drive had Lords of Hypocrisy and Mythical & Magical back to back. Shout outs to the guy who apparently spent a thousand bucks to get an early digital copy.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yo that new Dead Cross album is pretty fuckin rad

Black Flag and Minor Threat fed through Lombardo and Mike Patton
I used to be the biggest Patton stan, but the true seal of quality here is Justin Pearson imo. Loved everything dude's been putting out the last few years, can't wait to hear this.

SOME-MIST

Yo that new Dead Cross album is pretty fuckin rad

Black Flag and Minor Threat fed through Lombardo and Mike Patton

wait what!? you've already listened to it? It's been one of my most anticipated of this year but mainly cause of patton and justin pearson.

I used to be the biggest Patton stan, but the true seal of quality here is Justin Pearson imo. Loved everything dude's been putting out the last few years, can't wait to hear this.

hell yes. In the same night I saw at the drive-in (8pm) and head wound city (11pm), and it was amazing how much more enjoyable head wound city was live. all of his output with his different projects has been so beautifully aggressive.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
the new Pagan Altar is finally being released on August 24th for digital, CD, and MC formats. LP to follow in late September.

preview "Dance of the Vampires".

getting incredibly hype to say the least. My 70 mile weekend drive had Lords of Hypocrisy and Mythical & Magical back to back. Shout outs to the guy who apparently spent a thousand bucks to get an early digital copy.

Sounds good!

Can't wait for Time Lord at Wings of Metal in barely over a month from now!

Can't say I've ever been a big fan of Pearson's work. I'm not big into more math-y type shit, though I suppose there's crossover with Patton's weird side

I will say though the guitar tone he's achieved here is fuckin great, a modern more metallic take on the classic Greg Ginn style

wait what!? you've already listened to it? It's been one of my most anticipated of this year but mainly cause of patton and justin pearson.
It comes out next week, it's available if you look for it. I've already preordered ;)

What is the full list?

You couldn't see it if you scrolled?

10. Lucifer's Friend, 'Where the Groupies Killed the Blues' (Never heard of this so I'll have to check it out)
9. Deep Purple, 'Stormbringer'
8. Yngwie J. Malmsteen, 'Rising Force'
7. Entombed, 'Left Hand Path'
6. King Diamond, '"Them"'
5. Morbid Angel, 'Altars of Madness'
4. Led Zeppelin, 'Led Zeppelin II' (meh)
3. Rainbow, 'Rising'
2. Judas Priest, 'Sad Wings of Destiny'
1. Black Sabbath, 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'

You couldn't see it if you scrolled?

10. Lucifer's Friend, 'Where the Groupies Killed the Blues' (Never heard of this so I'll have to check it out)
9. Deep Purple, 'Stormbringer'
8. Yngwie J. Malmsteen, 'Rising Force'
7. Entombed, 'Left Hand Path'
6. King Diamond, '"Them"'
5. Morbid Angel, 'Altars of Madness'
4. Led Zeppelin, 'Led Zeppelin II' (meh)
3. Rainbow, 'Rising'
2. Judas Priest, 'Sad Wings of Destiny'
1. Black Sabbath, 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'

Nope, on phone.

Rising Force? Huh.

I actually like that album. It's decent.

So any idea why Boris hides some of their best stuff on Japanese deluxe albums? Dear has an extra record with some great stuff - some of it is peak Boris. They did the same thing with Noise a few years ago with the entire Another Noise record that came no where near the States. Hell, the last few times I saw them live I was able to pick up records that I have never seen in a record store here in the States (Praparat & Mr. Shortkill).

Also Dead Cross is awesome stuff -- can't wait to see them live down here in Dallas, Secret Chiefs 3 is opening for them, I'm hoping for a Holy Vehm set myself.

Spwn

I think this may be on more on the rock side, but since I've posted Grave Pleasures and Beastmilk stuff here before, I guess it's appropriate to post the new video from GP here.

Grave Pleasures - Infatuation Overkill

Really hyped for the album. After being a huge fan of the Beastmilk LP, I was really disappointed in Dreamcrash. Now after hearing Deadenders 7" and this, the band has me back.

The other band that broke out from Beastmilk, Hello Black Hole, is also a pretty good band in the same genre space.

Hello Black Hole - Five Hundred Rocks to Throw

Quikies83

So any idea why Boris hides some of their best stuff on Japanese deluxe albums? Dear has an extra record with some great stuff - some of it is peak Boris. They did the same thing with Noise a few years ago with the entire Another Noise record that came no where near the States. Hell, the last few times I saw them live I was able to pick up records that I have never seen in a record store here in the States (Praparat & Mr. Shortkill).

Also Dead Cross is awesome stuff -- can't wait to see them live down here in Dallas, Secret Chiefs 3 is opening for them, I'm hoping for a Holy Vehm set myself.

I need to hear this Japanese deluxe album, it sounds like.
I'm stoked for the new Dead Cross -- I'm trying to convince my roomie to make the drive to Dallas with me for that show.

I'm not sure that we have any Japanese locals in this thread, but thought I'd share this. Asakusa Deathfest this October, presented by Obliteration Records. Perhaps some of you will fly for your chance to see Viscera Infest? I've been contemplating making a Japan trip for quite some time, but next year would be much more realistic for me. I was completely unaware of this fest's existence until recently, looks like a really cool event for Japan that has a lot of potential, especially for the brutal scene. As it is though, the balance is pretty nice.

I'm not sure that we have any Japanese locals in this thread, but thought I'd share this. Asakusa Deathfest this October, presented by Obliteration Records. Perhaps some of you will fly for your chance to see Viscera Infest? I've been contemplating making a Japan trip for quite some time, but next year would be much more realistic for me. I was completely unaware of this fest's existence until recently, looks like a really cool event for Japan that has a lot of potential, especially for the brutal scene. As it is though, the balance is pretty nice.

This looks pretty cool. I can't go this year or next year (I'll be there over New Years). Maybe 2019.

I haven't been keeping up with many of the recent metal releases this year so far, whats the best stuff check out so far this year. I like most metal sub genres outside of Black Metal.

Spwn

I haven't been keeping up with many of the recent metal releases this year so far, whats the best stuff check out so far this year. I like most metal sub genres outside of Black Metal.

The latest Solstafir album was pretty good. Less metal than their previous albums and people gave them a lot of flack for that, but I think it's their best album since Köld.

RDreamer

Metal Albums I've liked this year:
The Flight of Sleipnir - Skadi
Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
Tetrafusion - Dreaming of Sleep
Soen - Lykaia
Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
Pain of Salvation - In the Passing Light of Day
With Arms to the Sun - Orenda
Persefone - Aathma
Ghost Bath - Starmourner
Solstafir - Berdreyminn
Pallbearer - Heartless