• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 came out in the west six months ago. How do you feel about it now?

It's so good. I'd buy a Switch port or a Crimson in a heartbeat. Dropped Golden pretty fast but the characters and style in this one is just so much better.

55 hours in and I love it. Game of this gen so far. The dungeons are so stylish which made them fun to explore unlike the generic corridor design of past games. I couldn't wait to see what kind of palace I would see next.

Canucked

Loved it. Perhaps too predictable and a little repetitive in the dialogue department. But loved it a lot. Glad it got lots of attention. Can't wait for the next one.

silva1991

As good as BOTW this year for me.

P4 blows it in everyway outside of dungeons and combat.

P3 has better story and characters(OST is as good), but P5 does everything better.

HeeHo

I thought there was a bit too much dialogue this time around but I think it is the best Persona yet. Improved fusion, improved dungeons, improved social links, improved battle system. The twist in P5 hit me harder than anything in the previous games too.

Some people seemed disappointed by P5 in comparison to P4 but I actually didn't find P4 to be all that special aside from the Giantbomb Endurance Run, which I loved. I think the setting in P4 is pretty bland and I just didn't care too much about the story by the time they wanted us to 'piece it together' in P4. Just my opinion, it's still a good game otherwise.

Hopefully the next game doesn't have as much padding as P3, 4 and 5 have. I am getting pretty tired of it by this point. It makes the games ridiculously long. I'd like to see them try something closer to the original Persona games and really amp up the ambiance of the school setting but don't necessarily try to simulate it. Maybe that's a bad business move but I'd like them to try something more traditional but with a lot of mix ups that don't involve the calendar system.

LotusHD

Banned
Didn't live up to the hype. Compentently made game, loved how stylish it was, but story and localization, among other things, fell short for me. Additionally, I felt the dungeons were too long.

But yea, opinion hasn't changed at all, it's actually kind of my biggest disappointment this year. Only game where I beat it and felt basically nothing.

It's a fantastic game, but it has some severe pacing issues and is a bit too long for its own good. Also has some problematic elements like its treatment of gay men as predator stereotypes. Overall I enjoyed it a lot though, the combat is great, music is phenomenal, and it has an unmatched sense of style.

Probably my favorite game of the year, just loved chilling around with those cast of characters, the combat was fantastic and stylish.

5th Palace can kick rocks though.

Zee-Row

Banned
Great game , the weakest part of the game was the soundtrack. I just don't like the jazzy stuff and miss the Hip-Hop pop 3 and 4 had.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I loved it but I despite the incredible improvements to gameplay and presentation it's the weakest of the 3 hashino games as far as story, pacing and character development.

I really liked it, but was pretty let down with some story/writing things. The cutscenes about sexually harassing Ann or having a predatory gay couple were incongruous to the tone and messages of the game to the point of being distracting while I was playing it. They're lazy gags, and enough to interfere with my enjoyment of the game on more than one occasion.

The dungeons, combat systems, aesthetics and were fantastic, though. Huge step up from Persona 3 and 4 for me in this regard. I also thought that the story was pretty alright in general - was pretty happy that it did its own thing rather than try to carry on the (kinda bad) overarching plot between 3, 4, and their spinoffs.

In general, still not sure how I feel about the characters. It sort of suffers the same issue that I thought P4 had, in which character development more or less stops after their dungeon is complete. There was some more to delve into in social links, but the quality varied pretty heavily.

That being said, I did have a great time with it. Definitely my favorite of the newer Persona titles, and it's only behind Persona 2 for me overall.

aravuus

My pick for GOTY, likely. I have yet to actually finish it (lost an 80-hour save due to getting a new PS4), but that doesn't really matter. I'm more or less spoiled on whatever happens after the part where I "dropped" the game so I admittedly don't have much motivation to start over, however. Maybe next year.

I must mention, though, that I don't think it really reaches the heights of P3 and especially P4 for me. As a game it's much better and in fact has one of the best turn-based battle systems in JRPGs, but otherwise I enjoy the cast, settings and overall story of both of P3 and 4 more. Those two are probably both in my top 5 or 10 all-time favorites, though, and I played them back when JRPGs were by far my favorite genre and I still enjoyed (tolerated) anime tropes, so I didn't actually expect to love 5 as much.

ShadyK54

Still love it as much as I love P4G, which is maybe my favorite game of all time, so a lot. I still need to go and finish my NG+ playthrough.

It was my GOTY back in April, & I’m positive nothing for the rest of the year will topple it.

I completed it but I thought it was too long for its own good, and I just didn't feel attached to the characters the same way I did with 3 or 4.

Also yeah, this game was hyped to the moon and back by importers so going into it my expectations were far beyond what the game turned out to be. In the end it was a good game with plenty of flaws.

Had a great time with the game. Almost lost motivation to finish about 2/3 in but I knew that it would be worth it.

Very fulfilling and one of my favorites now.

Mik317

Really Good Game.

t hit that post game depression which is a sign of a great game IMO (in which I am a bit sad it over).

that being said tho...the pacing is really off. The cast doesn't get enough time to really shine outside of social links (those also being kinda weak in spots). The formula as a whole probably needs a bit of a shake up too. Well worth the wait tho.

I completed the first dungeon then just stopped. Pacing is weird and being told to go to bed all the time was getting frustrating. Plus I had Nioh and Horizon.

I think there is a perception (perhaps largely perpetrated by a handful of users when the game came out for whatever reason) that P5 has been largely seen as a disappointment. Based on this thread I think it will do just fine for GAF GOTY.

DPtheGod

Still probably my GOTY so far.

This.

I put 90 hrs into it and am going to do a second playthrough starting next month. I specifically wanted to wait until the winter weather for some reason. There's something charming about Persona during the winter.

Zareka

Damn, I feel exactly the same and you're probably the first person that's hit on all my issues with the game too. It's still a great game, but not in that god tier Persona games should be.

My disappointment has led me to play 3, 4 and 5 again back to back to see if at least part of my love for the previous games was nostalgia. I'm just about to finish 4 and happy to find I like them just as much now. Hell, I'm actually appreciating Persona 4 so much more this time round.

I really like the base Persona 5 has given us but I need to see it in another game without the Phantom Thieves. I really didn't like that angle compared to what 3 and 4 had going. The cast was pretty weak, too.

Edit: super nitpicky but I couldn't stand how they handled the protagonist in this game. Too talkative to pass as an avatar, too quiet to be a character. Getting rid of the narrator for inner thoughts was such a weird decision too.

_Ryo_

Its a great game. I still have the soundtrack stuck in my head even thoughI havent played it for months.

ch4fx_

First turn based/JRPG I had ever played & im having trouble coming to grips with the fact I might like it more than Bloodborne.

Futaba <3 <3 <3

vato_loco

I absolutely loved it when I played it. Now, thinking back, I do have fond memories of it but with a bit more distance I saw some glaring issues it had.

The main characters were fine, I disagree with most people who claim that 4's were a lot stronger, seeing as they pretty much all tick the same trope checkboxes. I do NOT like Ryuji, I will say that much. Ann could've been a thousand times better but she got stuck after her arc. Makoto is best waifu.

The antagonists were hilariously over the top. They could've made them a bit more gray to give the Phantom Thieves some sort of moral questions in the middle of their crusade, but the bad guys are so absolutely 100% irredeemable, their choice was as easy as a couple of dialogue boxes.

Music was amazing, as were the visuals.

Gameplay was very Persona-y, which is a good thing but could've been a lot better. They did some good QoL tweaks but anyone who's played 5 will immediately understand 3 and 4, so I feel like they coul've pushed the envelope a bit in this regard.

Story was... OK, for the most part. It didn't blow my mind in any way or form (especially after having my brain exploded with Nier Automata), but it served as a vehicle OK.

Having said that, I'd still place in any GotY RPG list.

Marcel

Still a great game and many of the outside of the game itself-type issues surrounding it at the time were ultimately overstated.

muteki

My opinion of it has declined as time has gone on, but it is still way up there. Ultimately I think P4 stuck with me more and I'll look back on it more favorably.

P5's writing got on my nerves, the overall quality and attention to detail varied widely as the game progressed, and several members of the main cast just never clicked with me, or I don't think were handled well. Had the game endeavored to be a bit more different in the overall layout and progression than its predecessor, had dungeon quality gone up from the first instead of down, had the main squads social links been more impactful than the side characters, I'd probably feel better about it.

pablito

I think there is a perception (perhaps largely perpetrated by a handful of users when the game came out for whatever reason) that P5 has been largely seen as a disappointment. Based on this thread I think it will do just fine for GAF GOTY.

it's both a disappointment and GOTY for me lol. Disappointment based off import impressions and coming off of 4 which is one of my favorite games of all time.

Still manages to be excellent and my favorite game of the year.

I wish the writing and characterisation matched the incredible aesthetic sensibilities and OST.

Unpopular opinion, but Persona 4 was a huge step back in terms of characterisation and tropes and 5 felt more like a rehash of 4 than 4 was of 3.

I love the series as a whole but 3 > 5 > 4.

I really had a love/dislike relationship with Persona 5. On one hand I loved the characters, story and battle system but I really disliked the pacing at times, repeated battle lines and the OST wasn't that memorable.

I enjoyed my time with it for the most part but when I finished, I felt relieved and not excited to do a second playthrough like I did with Persona 3/4.

I only finished it the other week. It was my first Persona game and I really enjoyed it. The pacing felt a bit slow at times and repetitive dialogue was a recurring issue, but I loved the presentation and the characters. Great soundtrack too.

pizzacat

Banned
I haven't beaten it and I beat PERSONA 4 which I hated throughout the whole game haha

Idk what's missing, prolly time but then again I just beat PERSONA 1 for the first time in a week and that game is really really good and I slept on it basically. It starts immeadiately and I love it

I should get back into it. Last thing I did was beat 2nd dungeon

juicyb

My anticipation for Persona 5 was through the roof. Persona 4 is one of my all time favorite games and one of the few I'd give a 10/10 to. So, Persona 5 had a ton to live up to. For me, it didnt quite reach the heights of 4.

It's been several months now since I beat it, and honestly, I remember way more from 4. That's not to say 5 is a bad game, I had fun playing it, but the characters just didn't come close to 4's.

If anything, this helps me realize how great 4 was and how difficult it will be for any game to measure up to it for me. I look forward to Persona 6, but with a much more reserved amount of hype compared to 5.

Igama

Neo Member
My favorite game ever tied with P3 and P4. I don't want to choose one of them.

P5 was particularly nice regarding the gameplay improvements, which you can appreciate more when replaying 3 or 4. Not also the dungeons, but the speed and flow of the combat were amazing imo.

Also P5 has Rivers in the Desert.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Still my 2016(played the jp release) goty and fav persona. Looking forward to play a revised version with more content(and I platted the original release).

Top Bottom