• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Davide

Just watched the premiere, Doctor Who has never been so meh and last series was excellent. I'm going to have to force myself to watch the next episodes. I miss Clara.

Razmos

The Doctor's face when Bill mentions that slavery is still a thing in that time. You could see the anguish on his face

iFirez

I like the writing they've given Capaldi this episode, Bill continues to be a great companion too.

Knock... Knock... Knock.

Why do these episodes have to be so damn good? It's making the thought of Capaldi leaving even harder to bear. And I always liked Clara but Bill is such a fantastic companion and their relationship feels very fresh.

That ending though...
Who is knocking? The Master or First Doctor?

Best episode of the series so far. It was very reminiscent of the Beast Below for obvious reasons but managed to feel unique due to the fun setting. Next week looks interesting but lies on how bearable the side cast turns out to be. The preview wasn't encouraging (sans Suchet) in that regard but the small glimpse of the monster (I think we've seen it in the series trailer before) looks promising.
I think I read somewhere that next week is supposed to have massive woodlouse? Sounds like it could be a lot of fun!

Santiako

It's absolutely ridiculous the chemistry Pearl and Capaldi have. Three episodes in and she's already miles better than Clara.

That was absolutely cracking. Sarah Dollard has such a knack for this- hope she's got a lot of Who in her future.

A simple story, but wonderfully well told, and some of the best moments in the series for years- Bill's reaction to the kid's death, "no sh-", the Doctor cracking Nathan Barley across the chops, Capaldi's big speech... man.

TyrantII

It's absolutely ridiculous the chemistry Pearl and Capaldi have. Three episodes in and she's already miles better than Clara.

So far the writing, direction, and editing are better as well. Count me in as pleasantly surprised. Hopefully they can keep it up and have a interesting season arc.

Also, a big draw to me is the doctor traveling again. I know, budgets, but you have all of time and space... The doctor should only be coming back to Cardiff for something very, very important.

Joqu

Yeah, I loved that episode. New writer huh? Simple sure, but with some great drama and a damn good speech. I hope she does more.

Capaldi and Pearl are so good together. I so wish this wasn't his final season now, I'm gonna want more of them after this. :(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
That was so good. So many great lines of dialogue again. 3 out of 3 so far. I hope the whole season is like this, good writing, good acting and good execution.

I'm already gutted this will be the only season with 12 and Bill. I'm in love with the two of them together and every scene with them is a pleasure to watch.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Some good bits:

- You know what I mean. Every choice I make in this moment, here and now, could change the whole future.
- Exactly like every other day of your life. The only thing to do is to stop worrying about it.

- Interesting.
- What is?
- Regency England. Bit more black than they show in the movies.
- So was Jesus. History's a whitewash.

- We're stood by the docks. And you just asked me if I've ever seen a man with a tattoo of a ship.

The way Bill reacted to the deaths and her talking about it with the Doctor was excellent too, very natural without being melodramatic. I really missed having a companion that felt as human as this and Pearl Mackie is hitting it out of the park, all the while being charming as hell.

Kevin

What a great episode. Gorgeous effects, lots of action, great dialogue and just a really strong and fun episode for me. Really like the doctor and companion together. Good stuff!

I doubt it's supposed to have any significance but I just rewatched the ending on iPlayer and the very last time the banging happens there are actually four knocks.

Kevin

I doubt it's supposed to have any significance but I just rewatched the ending on iPlayer and the very last time the banging happens there are actually four knocks.

Yeah I think the last set of knocks happened the last time. My guess is John Simm's Master is inside the vault.

zeemumu

Doctor straight up lying to Bill about not keeping track of the kill/death count of his adventures. It was really well-acted but I felt like us seeing that before with the interaction between the 3 Doctors made it lose its impact a little because we know that he's probably lying.

sturmdogg

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/david-bradley-doctor-who-rumours-12937434

He all but confirmed it himself. The knocking is definitely The First Doctor.

Four years ago it took all the previous Doctors to save Gallifrey, so maybe some of the others will also pop up in Capaldi's swansong.

"1" is there for 12's regeneration. And the return of 10 and 11 as well? One more time?

That line must not make any sense for anyone not a Whovian.

Return of 10 and 11? One more time?
I'd like an 11 cameo, sort of tying the Moffat-era all together with a neat little bow. I'm not sure how I feel with the idea of 12's last story being a
multi-doctor
story that piggybacks of the fiftieth anniversary, might be a fitting end to the Moffat era, but I feel like it kinda downplays the 12th Doctor era in its own right.

I don't know, I only hope it can juggle these things together.

Bluth54

Another solid, enjoyable episode. They've been on a great streak this season.

I can't understand what bill is saying half the time. It's like she doesn't enunciate words clearly

I've always had problems with the Doctor Who sound mix on my TVs, the sound effects and music are always too loud compared to the dialog. Other people don't seem to have that problem though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Bill and The Doctor have such great chemistry. Love their relationship already.

Another solid, enjoyable episode. They've been on a great streak this season.

I've always had problems with the Doctor Who sound mix on my TVs, the sound effects and music are always too loud compared to the dialog. Other people don't seem to have that problem though.

It's the speakers on modern flatscreens that's often the problem. A soundbar or headphones will be much clearer. That and Pearl's bit of a mumbler.

I thought it was a good solid episode, verring a little too close to a mix of The Empty Child (the orphans) and Beast Below (literally, the beast below).

Next week's looks a bit blurgh. But then that's what I said about this week's ep based on the preview.

I loved that. When the Doctor and Bill were just walking around together having fun and investigating I felt all doey eyed in a way I haven't since Ten+Donna used to lark about.

It was definitely a bit Beast Below with a dash of Kill the Moon and Fires of Pompeii. Bill even sounded like Donna when she begs the Doctor to save the kid. And hey, kudos to Dollard for actually properly killing a child. This Doctor works so well when he's coldly pragmatic about death and that worked doubly when its a cute kid.

It takes a skilled writer to juggle racism, a 2000 year old alien's response to death, and still have funny lines that all work together in one episode. Pete the lost companion is clearly going to become a meme (and rightly so).

I love being in a position where I no longer care about the plot of the episode, as long as Bill and the Doctor are together I'm stupidly happy.

Speculation on what's in the vault:

I'm not convinced the contents tie in with the Christmas special as it'd be a pretty major dick move to hype up the mystery for the whole series and then have it just be a teaser for a special that's another few months away. I'm also not convinced it ties into the upcoming Master storyline. With Missy being a recurring character, I'm not sure that whole character is enough of a 'special treat' (sorry, struggling to convey my thoughts as words here) to warrant being the arc-for-the-series plot. I think it's something we've not seen yet, perhaps the Valeyard.

Also, random thought: I'd quite like to see Sarah Dollard do a mid-series episode now. She's shaping up to be a decent writer but both of her episodes have been quite 'business'y so far and I'd like to see her do something where she's not having to follow a brief.

Bluth54

Also, random thought: I'd quite like to see Sarah Dollard do a mid-series episode now. She's shaping up to be a decent writer but both of her episodes have been quite 'business'y so far and I'd like to see her do something where she's not having to follow a brief.

Yeah both Face the Raven and Thin Ice were pretty good, hopefully she continues to write Who episodes.

Ah forgot I had this to catch up with after watching Guardians 2 last night!

Good to hear it's from the same writer as Face the Raven, love that episode. Can we expect Season 9 on UK Netflix anytime this century either?

hamchan

It probably is the Doctor locked inside the vault because that's normally how these things go.

I could actually see Moffat trying to tackle the Valeyard because y'know, he's Moffat and has to try touch every part of Doctor Who.

Maybe evil Capaldi is locked inside that vault, who knows?

Top Bottom