• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
lunchwithyuzo said:
Or a combo of them (Wave Race EXCITE!).
I could get behind this. A race through a hurricane with huge waves and water spouts and stuff would be awesome.

Barring Fzero and Mario Kart, they could rebrand all their racing games under the Excite!! label.

With a 2-3 year dev cycle for the more elaborate games, I find it doubtful that Nintendo could have done anything to reorient many aspects of Wii U's launch due to the reaction to the 3DS launch - despite a great deal of effort in many quarters to classify NSMB U and Ninendoland as disposable trash or at least completely mediocre, those are not insignificant titles.

I own both games and I think Mario is great, and Nintendoland is good.

This is kind of like all the people complaining Nintendo should have changed the name six months from launch - unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

They should have realized the name was an issue well before that point.

High price - no, not really. $50 more than the Wii for the basic package. The perception that Wii U is horribly overpriced seems to stem from opinions that it should cost like $200 tops because it's "seven year old technology!" and the gamepad and all related tech is free.

I'm not saying it shouldn't cost what it does, but they ended up having to eat a lot of money with the 3DS because they priced it arrogantly high. At this point I think it's quite possible they're going to repeat that with the U.

No virtual console at launch is also a pretty legitimate complaint, though it falls into the same general category as system software and OS issues - there was probably always going to be a bottleneck there as Nintendo is having to catch up on a hornet's nest of software and OS technology and was clearly still in development of core features right up until launch week.

Again, they should have been better prepared. It's not like a console launch sneaks up on you. Years of planning ahead would have prevented this.

Sparse year one titles - remains to be seen until E3, though it remains a possibility. As has been tabulated elsewhere though, the many comparisons of "packed" launch and launch window software line-ups between Wii U, and N64, Gamecube, and Wii seem to be tilted by nostalgia. All those consoles had "droughts" to some degree in their first full year. Nintendo consoles are traditionally slow to get going.

A big gap however between December and February was not good though, there's no doubt about that.

As I pointed out in another discussion recently, the N64's first six months was loaded with amazing games. Mario 64, Waverace 64, Pilotwings, Mario Kart, StarFox 64, and Blast Corps.

The GameCube had Luigi's Mansion, Waverace, Pikmin, and Rogue Squadron 2 in the first month.

These are all exclusives we're talking about here. It just seems like Nintendo is moving backwards in some respects. Even the Wii had the Virtual Console there day one, but with the U even that was too much to ask.

AzaK

Agreed with everything in general.

March-Lego City
April- Game & Wario
May- Wii Fit U
June- Pikmin 3
July- Wii Party U
August- The Wonderful 101
September- LoZ: WW HD
October- Yoshi
November- New 3D Mario

Early 2014- Mario Kart
Mid 2014- Bayo 2 & X(released in japan for holiday season 2013)
Late 2014- SSB and SMT x FE (released in early-mid 2014)

There's still some surprises in regards to what they are developing. 3D Mario or Mario Kart has to make it out by this holiday season or Nintendo is in far worse shape. If they release 3D Mario for the holiday season I suspect a casual title will also be released. There also I suspect is a small number of 3rd party surprises (emphasis on small).

Given the fact third party support sucks on Wii U, that release schedule would blow. It would mean one purchase (thats's definite) at year end.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sorry for the bump, but...

So, two months have passed without any indication about the next Wii U Nintendo Direct.
We got some 3DS Direct (two main Directs - one first and one third party - and a couple of Chotto Direct - one on Tomodatchi for sure). In the meantime, for Wii U just a Chotto Direct for the Karaoke app for Japan.

Iwata hinted at a possible third party Direct (not explicity) at the end of this January video, together with 3DS Directs. But while those took place, no concret info on the home console was shared with us.

But third party (probably awful) situation aside, that could stuck them in releasing a new video focused on that topic, we'd like to know firm dates for a lot of games (some originally foreseen for the launch window, that will end in just 10 days), such as:

Game & Wario (only JP date up to now)
Wii Fit U (still no date)
W101 (still no date)
PikmotherfuckerMin 3 (still no date)
Scribblenauts
Wii Party U

and so on...so my question:

when in the blue hell they'll set up the new Wii U Nintendo Direct?

So, two months have passed without any indication about the next Wii U Nintendo Direct.
We got some 3DS Direct (two main Directs - one first and one third party - and a couple of Chotto Direct - one on Tomodatchi for sure). In the meantime, for Wii U just a Chotto Direct for the Karaoke app for Japan.

Iwata hinted at a possible third party Direct (not explicity) at the end of this January video, together with 3DS Directs. But while those took place, no concret info on the home console was shared with us.

But third party (probably awful) situation aside, that could stuck them in releasing a new video focused on that topic, we'd like to know firm dates for a lot of games (some originally foreseen for the launch window, that will end in just 10 days), such as:

W101 (still no date)
Scribblenauts
Wii Party U

probably next week

W101 (still no date)
Scribblenauts
Wii Party U

Check game magazines next week.

JazzmanZ

well, I make it on purpose. To underline how Nintendo is managing badly Wii U updates and news.
Really? REALLY? Of all the things to complain about about Nintendo and the Wii U, you chose wii u updates and news? We just got a bonaza of news from the January direct, and we're getting more games revealed at E3.

As far as updates go, we have already been told theres a big one in April.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
One does not simply bump a Nintendo Direct thread

Like.. NEVER man, NEVER

siM.png

Check game magazines next week.

Kamiya san doesn't help

Really? REALLY? Of all the things to complain about about Nintendo and the Wii U, you chose wii u updates and news? We just got a bonaza of news from the January direct, and we're getting more games revealed at E3.

As far as updates go, we have already been told theres a big one in April.

Misunderstood: with updates and news I meant: WHERE IN THE BLUE HELL IS THE NEW WII U DIRECT WITH NEW GAMES (third party) and DATES (for the known titles, especially first party)???

Aeana

W101 (still no date)
Scribblenauts
Wii Party U

If you want to ask this question so badly, make a new thread. Please do not bump old threads unless there's a good reason to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom