• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reveals new PSN store

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Acknowledged the new store design? You know it's made by SCEE (or at least some European Sony branch), right?

Indeed, it is one of the things it seems they were able to pull away from SCEJ, personally I would give SCEE/SCEA or even a team put together from the western side of Sony to sort out the whole UI interface of the PS3/PS4/Vita.

sakipon

Good, now change the console's UI, its too ungamey and boring to look at.

That's probably the point. Aren't the HD twins supposed to be full fledged entertainment systems instead of just game machines for gamer nerds?

Massa

Depends on how HTML5-compliant it is. If I'm not mistaken, the Vita browser was HTML5 too but it was awful. Might still be. I'd imagine Sony's new PS3 browser would be more inline with Microsoft's 360 browser, which itself is speedy, plays embedded videos etc.

The PS3 and Vita web browsers use the same rendering engine as Safari or Chrome. When the Vita launched it was outdated (2010) and poorly implemented, but they've since fixed that.

The only significant missing feature at this point is support for HTML5 video.

WillyFive

That's probably the point. Aren't the HD twins supposed to be full fledged entertainment systems instead of just game machines for gamer nerds?

Well, the actual problem of the XMB would be with how you have to hunt for what you want with the controller, instead of the UI asking you what you want by listing as much as it can on one screen.

It's a common complaint with people trying to navigate the OS for the first time (if they aren't already gamers), because the idea of using the vertical and horizontal ranges to navigate and find what you want is very complicated and nonsensical to them.

Which is why Sony has moved on from that on their TV's and Vita, and why other entertainment systems like the Xbox (no longer) use something similar.

The PS3 and Vita web browsers use the same rendering engine as Safari or Chrome. When the Vita launched it was outdated (2010) and poorly implemented, but they've since fixed that.

I wouldn't say that. Ignoring android/ios browsers, the Vita is actually the worst browser on the market for any gaming device. Surprisingly the 3DS browser is the winner.

Code:
			                         Score	Bonus
Nintendo 3DS »NetFront		                  98	  0
Nintendo Wii »Opera	                          89 	  0
Nintendo DSi »Opera		                  89	  0
Sony Playstation 3 »NetFront		          68	  0
Sony Playstation Vita »NetFront		          58	  0

I also don't see the 360 browser there, so don't know how good (or bad) that really is in terms of HTML5 support.

That's kinda the one feature you'd want the most.

I wouldn't say that. Ignoring android/ios browsers, the Vita is actually the worst browser on the market for any gaming device. Surprisingly the 3DS browser is the winner.

Code:
			                         Score	Bonus

I also don't see the 360 browser there, so don't know how good (or bad) that really is in terms of HTML5 support.

Running it on IE via 360 results in a 126 score

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Code:
			                         Score	Bonus

I seriously wish Sony would just get Google or Mozilla to sort out a browser for the system instead of them going through the mess they have with Netfront, the browser on both the PS3 and Vita are pretty behind other devices as you have shown.

Google and Sony seem to be on good terms in general, they use google TV for instance which uses Chrome iirc and support Android, now if they can get them onboard if not for the PS3 then for the PS4, I would personally be pretty happy.
And I'm sure Google wouldn't mind being able to plaster their browser and services across a competitive platform with MS.

Interface looks slick to me, but it definitely looks "xbox-y".

If the new keyboard is like the one in the youtube app, then please sony, go back to a regular qwerty keyboard. That shit sucks hard.

Good, now change the console's UI, its too ungamey and boring to look at.

Personally I love the fact that the XMB is like it is, it makes it feel more polished and professional to me. Rather than bright cartoon graphics and images you have a nice clean UI to navigate.

Shahed

Like the new look, and it seems good in motion and general use. While the search results seem like they are quite good, it does seem slower getting the letters if you know what you want already

I agree with the keyboard thingy. It's neat and all, but I'm pretty sure I'd be faster with the regular keyboard, hope you can use both.

edgefusion

It looks really nice, gives me hope that SCE aren't totally incompetent when it comes to UI/UX. I think I'd prefer a Netflix style search though if they insist on going this way though, having the letters together in a box is a lot easier to navigate than one long list.

As for the XMB, I think it just needs a clean up. If you remember what it looked like when the PS3 launched compared to now, they have added so much but not properly re-thought any aspect of the design. They've just tacked shit on.

Audίoboxer;43119116 said:
As I've not played on a 360 for over a year, how much is that really like the marketplace then? Everywhere I go I keep reading people saying Sony have ripped off MS from the new store screens...

Looks good to me, much faster than what we have right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73T15iJM0UE

They're really not that similar besides the font being somewhat similar. But anything Sony does has to be copied from somewhere, you gotta know that.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I agree with the keyboard thingy. It's neat and all, but I'm pretty sure I'd be faster with the regular keyboard, hope you can use both.

yep.

New store looks very slick but having to scroll for alphanumeric input seems like a step back but he did say they are open to suggestions and feedback in the video so spamming the Playstation Blog with feedback will be the order of the day me thinks.

Lempel wanted to say we got a lot more content on each game's page, and while that is true for RE6 he showed and probably other newer games as well, it's not true for RE1. There was literally nothing there on that page.

So what I took from that is that some game pages will have lots to show (videos, pics, demos, description, etc) while others will have nothing at all.

reminder

Welp. It confirms Resident Evil 5 for PS+! :p

Love the integration of movie and game store. Makes it that much better.

Haven't watched the video yet, but did they show the US Store or the EU store? RE 5 Gold Edition is already available for european PS+ subscribers.

Top Bottom