• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

Paz

I'm not saying I won't give the game a chance, but what I'm saying is that I think 12 players is way too small for my taste when it comes to multiplayer fps games.

This is the point at which your thoughts become mostly irrelevant, since you are assuming this game is a sci fi + mechs version of whatever your favourite fps is, rather than looking at it for what it is.

Don't worry you're not alone, about 50% of the thread so far have done it.

I think having one character in an RTS is the dumbest idea someone could ever come up with, maybe I should go rage about DOTA or something... Oh wait it's not the same type of game as Starcraft 2.

Cause people obviously don't like bots. Gotta spin it somehow.

Because bots implies human replacements, would you call these things bots?

dota2-last-hitting.jpg

Mayyhem

Why is this so many pages? I'm glad they focused the game around a very specific player count.

Hell my favorite competitive FPS or 3PS experiences come from even less than 6v6s. Halo trilogy 4v4. Counter strike 5v5s. Gears of war 4v4s. List goes on

Hype +1

Horp

This is the point at which your thoughts become mostly irrelevant, since you are assuming this game is a sci fi + mechs version of whatever your favourite fps is, rather than looking at it for what it is.

I think having one character in an RTS is the dumbest idea someone could ever come up with, maybe I should go rage about DOTA or something... Oh wait it's not the same type of game as Starcraft 2.

The playtesters of LoL were very firm about their opinion that denying shouldn't be in the game, even if it's a core mechanic of MOBA games. The playtesters of Dota 2 firmly believed denying should be in the game.

So obviously there are multiple ways to design a game even within the exact same genre.

Some prefer one way, other prefer another. I prefer MOBAs with denying, and I prefer multiplayer fps:es with a lot more players. And I'm not wrong automatically for not having the same opinion as the playtesters.

I don't see how they can simultaneously make maps large enough for 12 titans but small enough for 12 humans. But I guess we shall see.

JLeack

Banned
This is a good tight nit number. My favorite shooter of all time is CS 1.6 where I competetively played in 5v5 matches. I miss that focused kind of competitive experience. I have a lot of faith in Respawn and if it says 12 players is optimal who am I to say it's wrong.

I don't see how they can simultaneously make maps large enough for 12 titans but small enough for 12 humans. But I guess we shall see.

maps aren't small, apparently. and with the speed humans move on foot and the presence of the titans and whatever else, the action is more than sufficient.

we'll all see soon enough.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I'm not saying I won't give the game a chance, but what I'm saying is that I think 12 players is way too small for my taste when it comes to multiplayer fps games.

There were extensive playtesting during the development of Halo too, and the previews were positive, but from looking at videos and hearing about the game I knew before I played it what I wouldn't like about it. And voila I didn't like it. The playtesters somehow didn't know exactly what I like, how weird.

Same with virtually every other game out there. I like the open nature of Destiny, but I don't like some other things about it. Still going to try it, but if I starts explaining the aspects about it I'm not at all excited about, it's pretty childish for a developer to come tell me I'm wrong because their playtesters are obviously right. Playtesters are rarely right according to me, as it seems.

Last reply for the night before I conk out;

Childish? Sorry if thats how it came off. It was meant a response to people somehow assuming they know our game balance far better than we do and that we're obviously making a huge mistake. Both Vince in a tweet, and myself in this thread, have said that we think people should just try it and form their opinions. If it doesn't match up with something you like? Ignore it and move on! Thats totally fine, and expected, since we don't think we're making some magical game from heaven than will appeal to everyone.

Perhaps its not the playercount in games like Halo that you don't like, but the game itself? Would adding more players magically have made Halo a game you love? I'm going to wager it wouldn't, since they do have some "larger" game types. The point is that adding more players to a finely designed game doesn't instantly make it better. Assuming it does is what I'd like to call "armchair game design". If that is offensive or childish to you I apologize, but its not meant to belittle anyone or their liking of large player count games.

Oh, and it wasn't playtesters who told us to do 6v6. It was those guys we have on staff called game designers, after playing thousands of hours with the entire company and taking feedback from everyone. We're all gamers here, and all our opinions are heard and used. Stuff like this isn't unilateral decisions from on high - we all want to be proud of the game we ship and enjoy playing it ourselves.

Its the Fulda Gap of the console wars. EA. Microsoft. A moneyhat exclusive. Takes advantage of the cloud. From the makers of COD. The biggest reason to buy an Xbox. Multiplayer only. Hyped by the big names in gaming press. And now its 6 v 6 max with a strong AI component.

Its a perfect storm of divisiveness. A potent recipe for knee-jerk vitriol, and sometimes even batshit fucking madness by the look of things.

But God damn does it look amazing in motion in terms of moment to moment action. Letting the gameplay do all the talking ala "Battlefield moments" was a great idea.

Yeah I guess that makes sense.

Am very interested to see how the AI soldiers are implemented.

Qassim

5v5 Counter-Strike is the best active competitive FPS out there. Higher player counts often ruin strategy and everything good about a proper competitive FPS.

This could be a good sign.

KaYotiX

Banned
6 v 6 sounds good to me, I never had a problem with chromehounds back at launch. It required alot of communication and I hope Titanfall brings that feeling back

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
how the fuck is this 21 pages.

Apparently a discussion about a video game happening on a video game discussion forum is a bad thing now.

I am getting so damn tired about people complaining like this all around Neogaf. Discussion should be encouraged around here, not discouraged.

No one would ever mistake a creep for a hero. On the other hand, multiple people in this thread were under the impression that Titanfall would be more than 6v6 based off of trailers.

Clearly titanfall's bots can't do everything a human player can, they're gimped pilots. At this point it still feels disingenuous to me to not call them bots. More info or some hands on play could definitely change my mind, but that's the point I'm at now.

Grief.exe

Why is this so many pages? I'm glad they focused the game around a very specific player count.

Hell my favorite competitive FPS or 3PS experiences come from even less than 6v6s. Halo trilogy 4v4. Counter strike 5v5s. Gears of war 4v4s. List goes on

Hype +1

Don't read the first ~15 pages. Seriously, its a trash pit.

HariKari

This is the point at which your thoughts become mostly irrelevant

Funny. I'm sure his thoughts are pretty relevant his decision as to whether or not he should buy the game.

since you are assuming this game is a sci fi + mechs version of whatever your favourite fps is, rather than looking at it for what it is.

What is it then, Paz? Care to summarize? I see a class based shooter with mechs being marketed with the tagline "from the makers of Call of Duty." If there is some deep MOBA style metagame system, they haven't talked about it.

Paz

No one would ever mistake a creep for a hero. On the other hand, multiple people in this thread were under the impression that Titanfall would be more than 6v6 based off of trailers.

Clearly titanfall's bots can't do everything a human player can, they're gimped pilots. At this point it still feels disingenuous to me to not call them bots. More info or some hands on play could definitely change my mind, but that's the point I'm at now.

So you're going with willful ignorance? Completely ignoring everything the actual developers, all hands on impressions, and what press have said?

Rock on.

Rayme

Well they could at least change the damn models or skins of the characters. If they're clearly meant to fill a different role than they should be clearly easily distinguished beyond just the name. The same way most single player games make enemy types look different or multiplayer games make classes look different.

Not sure where you're getting this from. They have nothing in common with players. Different models, materials, animations, behaviors, abilities, etc.

What would you call AI controlled characters in a multiplayer game then? I am genuinely curious. Why is bots a bad word?

A bot in FPS terms (dating back to Quake, maybe even earlier?) is a player being played by an AI. It's an AI that tries to play the game like a player would, in theory has access to all the same abilities, and "knows" it's playing a game. Like; a good quake bot would grab powerups and do rocket-jumps, it wouldn't pretend it was part of the imaginary game world.

(And it's not a bad word, it just doesn't apply to this game.)

antitrop

Don't read the first ~15 pages. Seriously, its a trash pit.

People had to get all their kneejerk Titanfall vitriol out of the way, as usual, before the thread could actually give way to good discussion.

The Titanfall review thread is going to be something else, I can't wait. We're still two months out and every TF thread is crazier than the last. There's nothing like a good 20+ page Titanfall thread to keep my evening interesting, though.

Thing is with AI is that someone always eventually discovers a way to abuse their behaviour in ways the AI can't adjust/manage and certainly with an online game that information spreads quickly.

I'm even more hyped now that this is going to be more focused on smaller encounters, and 6 player teams are exactly the right size for a coordinated squad. Focused action and high fidelity gameplay are bigger selling points than how many "rubber ducks" with guns we can fit on screen.

Both Vince in a tweet, and myself in this thread, have said that we think people should just try it and form their opinions. If it doesn't match up with something you like? Ignore it and move on! Thats totally fine, and expected, since we don't think we're making some magical game from heaven than will appeal to everyone.

I gotta say this is an unfortunate choice of words. If I try the game and don't like it, I'll be out of $60 for no benefit. Not exactly a winning combination.

Paz

Funny. I'm sure his thoughts are pretty relevant his decision as to whether or not he should buy the game.

What is it then, Paz? Care to summarize? I see a class based shooter with mechs being marketed with the tagline "from the makers of Call of Duty." If there is some deep MOBA style metagame system, they haven't talked about it.

It's exactly what has been shown so far, publicly playable at numerous events. A multiplayer FPS focused around a small set of players with amazing mobility, special capabilities tied to unique mech call-ins you earn from playing, and tons of AI controlled fodder that fill in the blanks. This is why people have had near universal praise for it, because it's fresh and interesting.

There are a ton of videos and previews out there, educate yourself.

So you're going with willful ignorance? Completely ignoring everything the actual developers, all hands on impressions, and what press have said?

Rock on.

Willful ignorance, I guess that's one way to put it. How am I wrong the ai runs around the map, shooting players and other ai, getting shot, taking objectives, etc. But they're gimped in that they can't use titans or do parkour. Seems like a bot that got toned down from the full capability of a player character.

Alienous

I imagine the pawns are there to serve as fodder for those who need to kill something every 15 seconds, and that a confrontation between two pilots should be meaningful.

6 v 6 human players wasn't in doubt, IMO. I didn't get the impression of more.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

People probably think that because that is exactly how Respawn has marketed the game from the very first reveal all the way to today.

No, those are creeps. Something that every player knows is a non-player character from the first minute they see the game. Even in other mobas that aren't out yet like Infinite Crisis, people they know the creeps of that game are creeps and not players.

The fact that everyone thought those bots were human in the Titanfall trailers is evidence enough that those are bots.

Horp

Last reply for the night before I conk out;

Childish? Sorry if thats how it came off. It was meant a response to people somehow assuming they know our game balance far better than we do and that we're obviously making a huge mistake. Both Vince in a tweet, and myself in this thread, have said that we think people should just try it and form their opinions. If it doesn't match up with something you like? Ignore it and move on! Thats totally fine, and expected, since we don't think we're making some magical game from heaven than will appeal to everyone.

Perhaps its not the playercount in games like Halo that you don't like, but the game itself? Would adding more players magically have made Halo a game you love? I'm going to wager it wouldn't, since they do have some "larger" game types. The point is that adding more players to a finely designed game doesn't instantly make it better. Assuming it does is what I'd like to call "armchair game design". If that is offensive or childish to you I apologize, but its not meant to belittle anyone or their liking of large player count games.

Oh, and it wasn't playtesters who told us to do 6v6. It was those guys we have on staff called game designers, after playing thousands of hours with the entire company and taking feedback from everyone. We're all gamers here, and all our opinions are heard and used. Stuff like this isn't unilateral decisions from on high - we all want to be proud of the game we ship and enjoy playing it ourselves.

I will try the game and I will see if I like it not, of course. I haven't said more players makes a game instantly.

My point about Halo wasn't having too few players, it was that from looking at videos and reading about it I knew what aspects I wouldn't like (in the case of Halo it wasn't the number of players, not back then).

If your reply that is in first post would have been this post (that I'm qouting) I wouldn't have posted at all, but you were straight up calling out people in the post that is in the first post. Well you just said you are sorry if you came off in the wrong way, so all well I guess.

Can someone clue me into why a FPS with Mechs is a new amazing original groundbraking idea..?

I don't understand why everyone is so blown away by a small sided game with mechs? BF2142..KZ3..Starhawk..all with mechs, all..kinda terrible.

Is it because the CoD guys are doing it? Basically it could have been a FPS with Blimps and Unicycles and it be hyped due to who's making it?

Ominym

Banned
Some of the best experiences I've ever had with multiplayer come from smaller experiences. Halo, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, COD 4, DOTA 2, etc.

But hey, this is NeoGAF. Don't know why I didn't expect a shit show from this announcement.

HariKari

Willful ignorance, I guess that's one way to put it. How am I wrong the ai runs around the map, shooting players and other ai, getting shot, taking objectives, etc. But they're gimped in that they can't use titans or do parkour. Seems like a bot that got toned down from the full capability of a player character.
That's probably a design decision to give you a false sense of accomplishment. "Oh look, I've killed 25 guys this round" - never mind that 18 of them were bots.

Exactly right.

Titanfall’s maps are target-rich environments, populated by dozens of AI soldiers run by Microsoft’s dedicated servers. All of them put up a decent enough fight to be trouble, but they’re thick and flimsy enough to be worth fewer points than a Pilot or Titan kill. “AI grunts keep that quick time-to-kill feedback loop,” says McCoy. “When you can kill three guys in eight seconds, that’s good – but when you’re on the other side of that, it’s not. If you run into a group of AI [units] you can take them out, and you still have that gameplay loop of doing things, achieving things, killing people.”

Respawn rejects the word ‘bot’ for its AI units, but like all bots, Titanfall’s grunts are terrible in concept – a legion of semi-coordinated goons – except here, they work so well that Titanfall wouldn’t be Titanfall without them. “They’re not bots,” says McCoy. “They’re not meant as a human replacement. They’re a different class of people. Pilots are these super-awesome soldiers that have the gear to do double jumps, the weapons to take down Titans, but the AI are the low-level guys that are always on the ground – they’re not double-jumping and they’re really weak, but the purpose they serve design-wise is multifaceted. They show new players where to go. And once they start fighting, they’re usually fighting other AI because all the experienced players are fighting on walls and rooftops. New players start getting kills on AI, when usually in multiplayer games they’re getting completely whacked.”

How fast will the novelty of cleaning up the AI trash mobs wear off?

jaosobno

I imagine the pawns are there to serve as fodder for those who need to kill something every 15 seconds, and that a confrontation between two pilots should be meaningful.

That's probably a design decision to give you a false sense of accomplishment. "Oh look, I've killed 25 guys this round" - never mind that 18 of them were bots.

And I see many people justifying small player count by saying "oh it's 12 players and 12 titans". No it's not. Titan is not something that you will want to summon just to let it roam free. Goddamn, I want to drive the thing, not let it run free into the wild. So no, it's not 12 players and 12 titans. It's 12 players and MAYBE 1-2 free roaming titans. 12 roaming titans is a theoretical limit which will never happen.

Can someone clue me into why a FPS with Mechs is a new amazing original groundbraking idea..?

I don't understand why everyone is so blown away by a small sided game with mechs? BF2142..KZ3..Starhawk..all with mechs, all..kinda terrible.

Is it because the CoD guys are doing it? Basically it could have been a FPS with Blimps and Unicycles and it be hyped due to who's making it?

Every player has mech. Not just a couple of mech on the map.

Also, fast fps with double jump, wall jump and verticality.

This plus that plus this make games original and people excited.

antitrop

You're assuming that Titanfall operates on a standard K/D ratio scoreboard. Nothing we've seen from the game so far should give you any reason to assume that.

CryptiK

Exactly right.

How fast will the novelty of cleaning up the AI trash mobs wear off?
I'd say very quickly and how long before the spawns and patterns are predicted? I don't see why they couldn't have had players in these positions. Just have 2 classes. This is why I don't see it taking off as an eSport. Bots are predictable always have been and will for a long time. INB4 Bot camping 101 Videos.

They don't serve a larger purpose like say DOTA creeps. They are just fodder to make people feel happy about their K/D. They are a filler thats all.

Horp

You're assuming that Titanfall operates on a standard K/D ratio scoreboard. Nothing we've seen from the game so far should give you any reason to assume that.

How is he doing that? He just said it's about giving you a false sense of accomplishment, which seems to be exactly what it is. Don't need a scoreboard for that. If you feel you have killed 25 guys, but infact 18 of those are bots (oh wait we can't call them bots right); then that's a perfect case of false sense of accomplishment. Scoreboard or not.

Top Bottom