• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 Animator Claims Studio is Cutting Projects, Needs Funding

RandomVince said:
It's a broken contract if you dont get paid, surely?
Your point is? Or do you believe that them not paying you and thus breaking the contract entitles you to spread around internal information that can put the company in serious trouble?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Factor 5 should have stuck by Nintendo...

If anything when Nintendo have your back you will always be safe. They provide guidance, financial backing and above all a fanbase that can eat up your products through sheer loyalty....

Shiggy

I really hope that it's not the end of Factor 5.
Their works for Wii looked promising from a technological point of view (I'm talking about the Lair engine on Wii in particular).
And who would not love to play another Kid Icarus game. If Nintendo still believes in that project, at least not all Factor 5 employees will be fired...

F#A#Oo

Banned
Rayne.S said:
Well, Too Human was released at the end of august right ? Well, in europe it's gotten its price officiallt slashed beginning of october .....

One week after Too Human was released I saw it for £24.99 a £10 drop and then it got lowered to £19.99 after a month and if you looked around there were some places doing it for £14.99.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
KevinCow said:
Silicon Knights is next.

All they need to do is make Eternal Darkness 2 and I’ll buy enough copies to keep them alive for the next 10 years.

F#A#Oo

Banned
EatChildren said:
All they need to do is make Eternal Darkness 2 and I’ll buy enough copies to keep them alive for the next 10 years.

Ditto...

I think SK hinted to such a project before...so it could very well be in the pipeline...though knowing SK it will be on the PS4/X-Box 720/Wii 2...

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wow.

I would've hoped licensing things like MusyX and their DivX ports would've continued bringing in money, especially as "GameCube" development has picked up; but I guess they can't support a company on their own.
i cant be arsed to check but i'm sure the website used to say to licence musyx contact nintendo, so that was probably a one time deal that f5 got paid for a long time ago

legend166

Surely they weren't even making Kid Icarus. For how long Matt has been pushing that rumour, Nintendo would have most likely invested a fair amount of cash, and I doubt they'd just let the company collapse. Matt's probably just full of crap.

Sucks for the people that lost their jobs.

Edit: Haha, funny post on IGN - "Geez Matt, it's crazy how far you'll go just to cover up being mistaken about Kid Icarus. Getting Factor 5 shut down? That's just cold hearted."

legend166 said:
Surely they weren't even making Kid Icarus. For how long Matt has been pushing that rumour, Nintendo would have most likely invested a fair amount of cash, and I doubt they'd just let the company collapse. Matt's probably just full of crap.

Sucks for the people that lost their jobs.

funding for one project is not gonna keep a developer afloat when its working on several

legend166

frankie_baby said:
funding for one project is not gonna keep a developer afloat when its working on several

Well yeah, that's why they would have cut those original jobs as reported a couple of days ago. I just find it hard to believe that they managed to shut down whilst working on a major Nintendo IP. Which means they most likely weren't.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
frankie_baby said:

This is true, but unless a Factor 5 Kid Icarus was looking truly aweful I cant see Nintendo bailing out so quickly. Even in financial trouble Factor 5 could scrap all projects and focus on the single Nintendo title, and current finances (trouble aside) coupled with Nintendo’s support for their own bloody IP should be enough to keep the company afloat for the duration of development.

Well, their run was longer than deserved. They basically got away with making the same game ten times, but the eleventh time was just one too many. Always shunning innovation and going straight for the save sequal, which is ironic considering that this is what caused their downfall in the end.

Even more ironic is that they left Nintendo to work for Sony, thinking they'd be a safe bet. They should have made something unique and new once in a while, broaden their portfolio instead of endlessly banking on these licences. And they had more than enough time getting someone on board who actually knew something about gameplay. Without that their games always felt hollow and dated and to be honest that's the reason they won't exactly be missed by the industry.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Smiling Bandit said:
they won't exactly be missed by the industry.

Speak for yourself...it's never good to see one less developer making games.

Sure they always made the same game but that's their thing...

EatChildren said:
This is true, but unless a Factor 5 Kid Icarus was looking truly aweful I cant see Nintendo bailing out so quickly. Even in financial trouble Factor 5 could scrap all projects and focus on the single Nintendo title, and current finances (trouble aside) coupled with Nintendo’s support for their own bloody IP should be enough to keep the company afloat for the duration of development.

maybe kid icarus was looking truely awful, would explain why no one ever saw it

Jocchan said:
Wait, what?
That "Eggwhatever" named guy said that they had a even better engine than Lair's for their Wii title.
"Asked about the Wii game's state of completion, Eggebrecht responded: "We're pretty much at a state where we're almost done with the engine. At the same time, we've also been working on content quite a bit because we had enough running very quickly on the platform that we were able to. But the biggest milestone or mark right now is that we're almost done with the engine and it does everything that the PS3 did and then some, quite frankly. So we're pretty happy with that. "

http://wii.ign.com/articles/851/851287p1.html

Anyway . . . I say they pitched the idlea to Nintendo and Nintendo, at some point, took over leaving them to flap in the wind (thats IF theres a KI Wii.).

EatChildren

Jocchan said:
Wait, what?

Might be a bit of confusion there. An interview with Factor 5 stated they had an engine running on the Wii that did "everything the Lair engine does, and then some". So while I doubt it was specifically the Lair engine, it seemed to be an equivalent for the Wii.

Gazunta

Jesus Christ, will the year of developing dangerously just END already?! (And yes I know 2009 is just going to be worse, thanks for the encouraging thoughts)

Ramenman

Phew, I thought it was about Level 5 and I was like "DONT CUT LAYTOOOONNNN".

Fortunately Haunted's "fuck you lair" brought me back to reality :D

element

If anything when Nintendo have your back you will always be safe. They provide guidance, financial backing and above all a fanbase that can eat up your products through sheer loyalty....
tell that to left field, silicon knights, Kuju Entertainment

element said:

All of which happened after they left Nintendo (Oh and Kuju aren't doing too bad at all so far!)

Hope that Factor 5 can survive the fall, there's a lot of talent in that company (At least from a tech perspective)

element said:
Aren't those pro examples, though, of companies whose games had more exposure and put up bigger numbers with Nintendo IP/publishing?

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
All of which happened after they left Nintendo (Oh and Kuju aren't doing too bad at all so far!)

Hope that Factor 5 can survive the fall, there's a lot of talent in that company (At least from a tech perspective)

Kuju is still working with Nintendo, or were their projects cancelled?

Dascu

element said:
Kuju died? The Nintendo-focused branch of Kuju still lives on as Headstrong Games seems to be doing quite well right now.

EatChildren

Shiggy said:
Kuju is still working with Nintendo, or were their projects cancelled?

They’re making House of the Dead: Overkill.

Shiggy

EatChildren said:
They’re making House of the Dead: Overkill.

Before renaming to Headstrong they had 3 games in development, 2 for a first party publisher and the third game probably was HotD.

Shiggy said:
Before renaming to Headstrong they had 3 games in development, 2 for a first party publisher and the third game probably was HotD.

One was Batallion Wars 2, the other has not been revealed (But it's probably a downloadable title)

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
One was Batallion Wars 2, the other has not been revealed (But it's probably a downloadable title)

Well it said on their website:
Welcome to Kuju London! The London office was opened in 2000 as the second of five Kuju studios, and has three games in development for a first party publisher, two of which are yet to be announced.
(BWii was the game which was revealed back then)

And in a more recent article about Kuju they said that they have 3 games in development. So one of them is HotD and the other two aree still for Nintendo?

Shiggy said:
Well it said on their website:

(BWii was the game which was revealed back then)

And in a more recent article about Kuju they said that they have 3 games in development. So one of them is HotD and the other two aree still for Nintendo?

The game was still in development at the time and a downloadable game (At least on PSN, not sure about Wii Ware and XBLA) would count as a first party published game.

IIRC, Factor 5 opened up a new studio in California, but was based out of Germany. Does this news just affect the California studio, or all of Factor 5?

LiquidMamba said:
IIRC, Factor 5 opened up a new studio in California, but was based out of Germany. Does this news just affect the California studio, or all of Factor 5?
They started in Germany, but in the mid-90s they moved to California; it wasn't a separate branch.

wsippel

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
They started in Germany, but in the mid-90s they moved to California; it wasn't a separate branch.
There were rumors a while ago, around this or last GC, that Factor5 was opening a new studio in Germany. They were already assembling a team and looking for a location back then according to the rumor. If this rumor is true, the German studio might survive, even if Factor5 USA goes out of business.

So how many more developers are going to have to go down like this before people start to actually believe that the industry's business model is some seriously fucked bullshit and the current tech acceleration is unsustainable?

Forsete

2real4tv said:
Wasn't Lair fully funded by SONY?

Yep.. and they had a deal with Sony for 2-3 more games. It seems Sony cancelled that after LAIR and Factor 5 probably had problems findning new games after that.

Somnid

charlequin said:
So how many more developers are going to have to go down like this before people start to actually believe that the industry's business model is some seriously fucked bullshit and the current tech acceleration is unsustainable?

That would require admitting Nintendo was right, which will never happen.

Two companies close down because of 2 PS3 high profile invested games(failures)......we just need to wait more to see whos next.....

Yamauchi

Banned
Yeah, the industry is going to have a tough couple of years as they come to terms with reality. People with common sense were predicting this would happen last generation: a business cannot stay afloat by making games with exponentially higher budgets with each successive generation while software and hardware sales stay relatively flat.

God, this is just an all-around terrible situation.

People acting like this is good because they didn't like Lair, or gleefully talking about how PS3 failed them, need to get some perspective.

NotWii

Banned
The first true gaming casualty of the economic crisis?
I'd expect a few more over the next few years.

Nintendo could always save Factor 5 by getting them to write an engine framework to help other 3rd parties develop stuff more easily for the Wii.
It would be beneficial to both parties.

Top Bottom