• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(ND Jan 23rd 2013) New Pikmin 3 Screenshots

dcpc10

Neo Member
no just no.

ibtN6Bb7I7RBL0.png

ibjkQ4CYFL3q8T.png

I see a 32 sided polygonal eyeball. It should be perfectly smooth. nintendo....

Considering these shots are close-ups from a game that takes an overhead perspective, the graphics are actually insane. This can render 200 pikmin as well right? I think this is very impressive considering the wii u's capabilities.

JordanN

Banned
Where was 60fps made official? I remember an article from around E3, but one person who played it said it wasn't.

Plus how is it lacking AA? Every shot seen is smooth.
Edit: Yeah, 60fps wasn't official so ignore that part.

And the press shots could be bullshots.

It's an RTS, brah. Everything's out and about at once. Not a slow-loading corridor fest.

Plus, in normal gameplay you'll see everything from high up above, not to mention that when Bulborbs are about to eat you you won't have time to count the sides of its eyeballs! :O
I'm just bummed out the visuals aren't going to wow me in the way that Pikmin 1/2 were able to.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
That would be all the deceased Dwarf Bulborbs at it's feet. How could you Nintendo. For a photo of all things.

That pic would work well in one of those "Vietnam flashback" gifs. Had I any talent I would do it myself, but alas.

Neiteio

I feel bad for Bulborb. He's not a bad guy, he doesn't know Pikmin have feels. Just walking carrots to him. He just wants to nap in the sun, but then we kill all his friends, and why? We could've just skedaddled around him. :(

nah, their probably his offspring. he can make more.

;_;
Holy shit. :( :( :(

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is the Iwata Asks, we'll surely see the Wii version.

I mean we saw two never before seen canned Kirby games in Kirby's RtD Iwata Asks.

Could show us that the textures were even worse (doubtful), but also likely wouldn't hold a candle to how it looks now (depth of field likely non-existent, poly counts could be much lower).

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is the Iwata Asks, we'll surely see the Wii version.

I mean we saw two never before seen canned Kirby games in Kirby's RtD Iwata Asks.

Could show us that the textures were even worse (doubtful), but also likely wouldn't hold a candle to how it looks now (depth of field likely non-existent, poly counts could be much lower).

I expect a difference slightly greater than GC Wind Waker --> Wind Waker HD

Damn, this thread got pretty morbid pretty fast. Now I don't want to kill any Bulborbs on top of my hatred of losing even a single Pikmin. Nature can be damn cruel sometimes.

Neiteio

I think I'll just try 1 and then play 2 if I like it enough.
Pikmin 1 has a fraction of the content, features and polish of 2, and also burdens you with an aggressive time limit. (And I say this as someone who absolutely loved the time limit in Majora's Mask!) Pikmin 2, meanwhile, has amazing presentation (live-action/claymation credits, Pixar-esque FMVs, Easter eggs in the title screen, email intermissions, a full-fledged Pokedex-style model viewer for all of the treasure and creatures), and features two new Pikmin, all of the creatures from the first game plus TONS more, all four seasons, randomly generated underground areas, TONS of treasure to collect (and hints of the human world, illustrating you're but the size of a coin), new power-ups, and of course, NO time limit -- the only pressure is being back at camp by sundown, but time suspends when you're underground, and you have an unlimited number of days. Oh, and there's a twist ending, two characters to divide and conquer, a third character halfway through, and a full-fledged co-op and competitive multiplayer suite. Pikmin 2 = god-tier game. Pikmin 1 = amateur hour.

Pikmin 1 has a fraction of the content, features and polish of 2, and also burdens you with an aggressive time limit. (And I say this as someone who absolutely loved the time limit in Majora's Mask!) Pikmin 2, meanwhile, has amazing presentation (live-action/claymation credits, Pixar-esque FMVs, Easter eggs in the title screen, email intermissions, a full-fledged Pokedex-style model viewer for all of the treasure and creatures), and features two new Pikmin, all of the creatures from the first game plus TONS more, all four seasons, randomly generated underground areas, TONS of treasure to collect (and hints of the human world, illustrating you're but the size of a coin), new power-ups, and of course, NO time limit -- the only pressure is being back at camp by sundown, but time suspends when you're underground, and you have an unlimited number of days. Oh, and there's a twist ending, two characters to divide and conquer, a third character halfway through, and a full-fledged co-op and competitive multiplayer suite. Pikmin 2 = god-tier game. Pikmin 1 = amateur hour.

Brace yourself: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506428

;)

Could these texture issues have to do with it possibly running at 60fps? I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

I'll take 60 fps over 30 fps for this game any day if it means some texture quality loss.

Especially with having all these little pikmin running around. 60 fps will be easy on the eyes and the gameplay smooth.

As I was typing this I did a quick search and found this article stating pikmin running at 60fps.

http://**************/2012/06/wii-u-games-run-in-720p/

Link didnt work for some reason. Here's part of the article...

"
Speaking to a Nintendo representative on the E3 show floor today, I was told that all of the playable Wii U games at E3 will ship with native 720p support, including Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros,and Pikmin 3. However, the representative said that some of those titles, like Pikmin 3, will run at 60 frames per second. The representative couldn’t confirm whether the games can be upscaled to 1080p, only that the “native resolution is 720p for all titles showcased”."

Congratulations I think you've convinced me. And turns out it's cheaper.

Despite the obvious bias this post was incredibly informative, told me stuff that multiple reviews and forum discussions I've searched through today didn't.

ahm998

The Wonderful 101 make it 60 fps with very nice texture & lighting .

I am really wonder if this game will make it 60 fps & advanced texture & lighting.

Looking forward to this game.

Burnburn

I can't disagree more with you. You clearly fail to see why Pikmin 1 can be just as good (in my opinion ever better) than 2. My question to you is: have you ever played Pikmin 1 more than once? Pikmin 1 is made to be replayed and that's where it's content comes from. Trying to beat your record for least days used is a complete blast, and one playthrough will only take you 2-3 hours if you're good in the game. My record at the moment is nine days and the world record is six days.

Pikmin 1 is all about management and multitasking, while Pikmin 2 focuses more on combat and puzzles. You have to plan exactly how many pikmin you want to take with you when taking down a bulborb, while other pikmins are doing their things. Everything has to click together at the end of the day. You can't just take 5-10 purple pikmins with you, which are extremly broken, and wipe out almost every enemy. Yes Pikmin 2 may have better presentation and way more charm, but Pikmin 1 definitely has the better gameplay.

Neiteio

I can't disagree more with you. You clearly fail to see why Pikmin 1 can be just as good (in my opinion ever better) than 2. My question to you is: have you ever played Pikmin 1 more than once? Pikmin 1 is made to be replayed and that's where it's content comes from. Trying to beat your record for least days used is a complete blast, and one playthrough will only take you 2-3 hours if you're good in the game. My record at the moment is nine days and the world record is six days.

Pikmin 1 is all about management and multitasking, while Pikmin 2 focuses more on combat and puzzles. You have to plan exactly how many pikmin you want to take with you when taking down a bulborb, while other pikmins are doing their things. Everything has to click together at the end of the day. You can't just take 5-10 purple pikmins with you, which are extremly broken, and wipe out almost every enemy. Yes Pikmin 2 may have better presentation and way more charm, but Pikmin 1 definitely has the better gameplay.
I respect your opinion, but I'd just like to point out you can still speed-run Pikmin 2, if you wish, aiming for minimal days, and I'd also caution against downplaying the rarity of Purple Pikmin -- they're something of a precious commodity in the game, all told, so their added power is not without balance.

There's just so much more to see and do in Pikmin 2, including more side attractions to keep things from getting repetitive or overwhelming. The lore and world-building is far more detailed, and the imagination on display in the environs and creatures -- especially the bosses -- is Nintendo at their finest. The gameplay is also more polished, and having kamikaze/gas-resistant White Pikmin and heavyweight/power-lifter Purple Pikmin spices things up nicely. Not to mention, being able to split between Olimar and Louie is a great feature, and the randomly generated caverns provide a great roguelike challenge beyond the tried-and-true overworld.

Truth is you can't go wrong with either, but Pikmin 2 was in my estimation a vast improvement. Hopefully playing more like Pikmin 1 doesn't mean Pikmin 3 will have minimal content and restrictive time limits. There's a way to create pressure without capping the duration of the campaign, I say.

Having reolayed both recently I can vouch for them both being great, yet different games.

The randomly generated caves aren't that great in hindsight,

The Wonderful 101 make it 60 fps with very nice texture & lighting .

I am really wonder if this game will make it 60 fps & advanced texture & lighting.

Looking forward to this game.

Well W101 has the luxury of being zoomed out most of the time and not going for a natural look but a cartoony toy box kind of look so both the camera and art style help it

Burnburn

I respect your opinion, but I'd just like to point out you can still speed-run Pikmin 2, if you wish, aiming for minimal days, and I'd also caution against downplaying the rarity of Purple Pikmin -- they're something of a precious commodity in the game, all told, so their added power is not without balance.

There's just so much more to see and do in Pikmin 2, including more side attractions to keep things from getting repetitive or overwhelming. The lore and world-building is far more detailed, and the imagination on display in the environs and creatures -- especially the bosses -- is Nintendo at their finest. The gameplay is also more polished, and having kamikaze/gas-resistant White Pikmin and heavyweight/power-lifter Purple Pikmin spices things up nicely. Not to mention, being able to split between Olimar and Louie is a great feature, and the randomly generated caverns provide a great roguelike challenge beyond the tried-and-true overworld.

Truth is you can't go wrong with either, but Pikmin 2 was in my estimation a vast improvement. Hopefully playing more like Pikmin 1 doesn't mean Pikmin 3 will have minimal content and restrictive time limits. There's a way to create pressure without capping the duration of the campaign, I say.

Yeah ofcourse you can speedrun Pikmin 2, but the the dungeons take away much of the speed and management. Two or three mid game dungeons can take as long as playing through Pikmin 1 entirely.

You are right that Pikmin 2 is bigger and a huge leap from Pikmin 1, but some of those leaps make Pikmin 2 less enjoyable for me. Not to say Pikmin 2 isn't great or anything, in fact Pikmin 2 is just a tad bit behind Pikmin 1 (again IMO).

And yes purple pikmins are scarce, but they are really easy to sprout and a simple reset will erase most of their death. One day grinding in valley of repose through the first dungeon will easily net you around 100 purples and that is more than enough to complete the game, asuming you also grow purples in the other dungeons.

I'm just trying to say that calling Pikmin 1 amateur hour is really wrong.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I prefer the atmosphere of solitude and the pacing of Pikmin 1, but the sheer content and polish of the world in Pikmin 2 takes the cake. It would be fantastic if 3 combined the best of both games.

I just hate time limits. They provide a more artificial sense of danger. Time is up, then you have to start over.

The best way to bring that danger back without making it cheap would be an actual night and day cycle. If night rolls around, you can continue to play but big monsters come out that are much more difficult to deal with. This will encourage players to make it to safety before nightfall, but also allows them to risk that safety to explore.

That would help combine the best of both Pikmin games while bringing something completely new.

I think more than two new types of Pikmin is unlikely. Unless they're removing the purple in favour of the rock type.

I can honestly see the orange flower being the new colour for the flying ones.

I think more than two new types of Pikmin is unlikely. Unless they're removing the purple in favour of the rock type.

I can honestly see the orange flower being the new colour for the flying ones.

Purple's in, you see it in the latest trailer. And the flying ones have the same dark purple flower as the Rock Pikmin.

Neiteio

I'm just trying to say that calling Pikmin 1 amateur hour is really wrong.
OK, I understand, and I agree -- Pikmin 1 is a great game, and I shouldn't have used the term "amateur hour." I just meant to say that Pikmin 2 certainly lives up to the sequel mantra of expanding everything, and I quite liked the additions. :)

As for new Pikmin types... It would appear the pink Pikmin shares the same flower color as the rock Pikmin, assuming they haven't changed it since our last glimpse of the pink Pikmin. But man, revealing two new Pikmin close to launch, along with divulging the plot and detailing the multiplayer modes, would make for a huge promotional push. I mean, just look at what the ScareScraper news has done for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon's prospects. :)

Jofamo

Three more Pikmin 3 screenshots were released today, showcasing a new snowy environment, and close up shots of the new captains, who are now fully designed and unique.

mLdndpx.jpg

rOk8qEC.jpg

PVvaKFQ.jpg

It would appear they popped up alongside the recent Miyamoto interviews. Of note in those interviews;

So of course we're taking advantage of the graphics and improving the play control and whatnot and I guess if you were to look at it more broadly, you might not necessarily say that it would be impossible to do it on another system. But I guess speaking plainly, the idea is really that Wii U is the best system to be able to achieve all of the different things that we're trying to do with this new Pikmin game. One of the biggest features of Pikmin 3 is the fact that you have the map on the GamePad at all times and because Pikmin is a strategy game, it's the type of game that you might play the same levels over and over again. Having that map--and the fact that you have the three different leaders that you switch between to command your Pikmin--and having the touchscreen on the map will allow you to change perspective or jump to a specific leader and quickly give orders. It makes it much more efficient for you to achieve the goals that you have strategically within the game.

It would appear the early plan of having 4 fully controlable captains has been reduced to three? Not that I mind, four is alot of micromanagement to handle for someone like me haha. I guess in keeping with the Pikmin 3 name, there are 3 captains to control, just like the 2 in Pikmin 2.

Also, in the third screenshot, we appear to have an in-game stand in for the WiiU Gamepad!

Top Bottom