• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe Closed Beta Giveaway

Accidentally took two keys when I signed up, I used one but I can't remember which one it was so here's both:

3426-6093-377E-6A50

BC21-D85F-60ED-958C

I think the first one is available.

1stStrike

Banned
Edit: Done streaming for tonight.

I bought the new psychic frame, Nyx. Initial feedback on that frame (with only 2 skills unlocked) is that mind control is pretty much useless. The psychic bolt seems decent, but it's a bit lack luster from what I've seen (though I may be using it wrong).

The thing about mind control is that right now the AI is fairly dumb. I had two melee guys chasing me, so I used mind control on one and kept backing up just out of range of the other one still attacking me. The other melee guy was chasing the one chasing me, missing constantly, until about the 5th try he finally hit (and 1 shotted) the other one. It only lasts a few seconds at level 1 too, so in most cases it's not going to be long enough to do anything of significance.

If you're considering either of the new frames, I'd go for the ice dude as he sounds like he's probably more effective (his first skill freezes an enemy so they can't move).

As far as the new maps and enemies - totally wicked. The new map is fantastic (albeit a bit confusing to navigate right now) and, like the others, it randomly generates so it's different each time. They have more maps with multiple enemy types on them now, and the new enemies (especially the infected ones) are pretty crazy looking. Really liking where this game is going.

Oh, and the wall run is pretty cool, but I haven't quite got the hang of it yet. The ziplines work perfectly, though, and you feel like a bad ass using 'em.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Edit: Done streaming for tonight.

I bought the new psychic frame, Nyx. Initial feedback on that frame (with only 2 skills unlocked) is that mind control is pretty much useless. The psychic bolt seems decent, but it's a bit lack luster from what I've seen (though I may be using it wrong).

The thing about mind control is that right now the AI is fairly dumb. I had two melee guys chasing me, so I used mind control on one and kept backing up just out of range of the other one still attacking me. The other melee guy was chasing the one chasing me, missing constantly, until about the 5th try he finally hit (and 1 shotted) the other one. It only lasts a few seconds at level 1 too, so in most cases it's not going to be long enough to do anything of significance.

If you're considering either of the new frames, I'd go for the ice dude as he sounds like he's probably more effective (his first skill freezes an enemy so they can't move).

As far as the new maps and enemies - totally wicked. The new map is fantastic (albeit a bit confusing to navigate right now) and, like the others, it randomly generates so it's different each time. They have more maps with multiple enemy types on them now, and the new enemies (especially the infected ones) are pretty crazy looking. Really liking where this game is going.

Oh, and the wall run is pretty cool, but I haven't quite got the hang of it yet. The ziplines work perfectly, though, and you feel like a bad ass using 'em.
Can you mind control multiple targets though? What about elites?

New planet after pluto is just infested city. Dear lord. Averaging like 5 mods a mission and 100 kills.

metalshade

Glad to see this update, I haven't played it for a long time, didn't want it to wear too thin, but hope I will see you guys around when I get back in.
Really hope this gains some traction with the rest of Gaf, as I can see it being a real gem if they keep up the support.

1stStrike

Banned
Can you mind control multiple targets though? What about elites?

New planet after pluto is just infested city. Dear lord. Averaging like 5 mods a mission and 100 kills.

Nope, you can only mind control one at a time and right now it seems like other players can't tell if it's mind controlled or not. Every time I use the ability I watch my team mates all helplessly attacking the enemy (which they can't damage) until the mind control has released lol. It's pretty funny to watch.

It seems like mind control works on anything but boss monsters, as those big ass Grineer with the rocket launchers I was able to mind control. Downside is that AOE attacks from them still hurt you while they're controlled, so if a baddie is next to you and they shoot a rocket you're still toast lol. I hope they fix that soon-ish.

I really want to try out Frost as he looks cool (speaking of cool, the new helmets they added for the frames are fabulous looking), but if I buy more plat I'll have to drop $30.00 to have enough plat to be able to buy the frame. Fuck, man. It's 375 plat for the frame, which is like $15.00 $20.00. Expensive as hell. Even the new helmets are $5.00 a pop which is crazy.

I really want to try out Frost as he looks cool (speaking of cool, the new helmets they added for the frames are fabulous looking), but if I buy more plat I'll have to drop $30.00 to have enough plat to be able to buy the frame. Fuck, man. It's 375 plat for the frame, which is like $15.00 $20.00. Expensive as hell. Even the new helmets are $5.00 a pop which is crazy.

Go forth and farm!

1stStrike

Banned
Go forth and farm!

I hate farming =\ Reports so far say that the blueprint drops are extremely rare for this frame too.

I don't mind leveling up frames/weapons, but I hate spending literally a week or two just being forced to farm mats to be able to build it.

I'll probably end up buying it.

Flipyap

I'm fine with the helmet prices because they're completely optional (at least for now?), but everything else is tied to a highly exploitative "free to play" scheme. Being allowed to pay for unlocks if you're impatient is a fine f2p tradition, but the alternative here has clearly been designed to waste your time, and A LOT of it.
And then there are the one time use upgrade items without which your frame will be significantly gimped, with the alternative to paying being playing the game at exactly the right time when these items become available for half an hour once a week or two.

The process of acquiring a new warframe:
Buy it using platinum
OR
Repeat one boss fight dozens of times for three blueprints.
Repeat some relevant missions a bunch more times for materials.
Start crafting the components.
Come back next day.
Buy the warframe blueprint, start crafting (assuming you have the materials)
Come back in three days.

Congratulations, you now own a new warframe, but if you've been playing for a while, you're likely to have filled both free warframe slots. Use platinum to expand your storage... every time you buy a new warframe using platinum? Also be sure to buy some reactors, otherwise you'll only have access to half of that warframe's upgrade tree. You wouldn't want that!

I've been thinking of buying some platinum because the core game here is really quite good, but every time I look at the platinum market, I just get grossed out, so for now I took my free to play money to Path of Exile where I will never be asked to pay for access to half of my character's skill tree. Also, I now have a pet frog. Can you own a (space) frog in Warframe? I THINK NOT!

uaYofZT.jpg

Oh noes! lol

1stStrike

Banned
I'm fine with the helmet prices because they're completely optional (at least for now?), but everything else is tied to a highly exploitative "free to play" scheme. Being allowed to pay for unlocks if you're impatient is a fine f2p tradition, but the alternative here has clearly been designed to waste your time, and A LOT of it.
And then there are the one time use upgrade items without which your frame will be significantly gimped, with the alternative to paying being playing the game at exactly the right time when these items become available for half an hour once a week or two.

The process of acquiring a new warframe:
Buy it using platinum
OR
Repeat one boss fight dozens of times for three blueprints.
Repeat some relevant missions a bunch more times for materials.
Start crafting the components.
Come back next day.
Buy the warframe blueprint, start crafting (assuming you have the materials)
Come back in three days.

Congratulations, you now own a new warframe, but if you've been playing for a while, you're likely to have filled both free warframe slots. Use platinum to expand your storage... every time you buy a new warframe using platinum? Also be sure to buy some reactors, otherwise you'll only have access to half of that warframe's upgrade tree. You wouldn't want that!

I've been thinking of buying some platinum because the core game here is really quite good, but every time I look at the platinum market, I just get grossed out, so for now I took my free to play money to Path of Exile where I will never be asked to pay for access to half of my character's skill tree. Also, I now have a pet frog. Can you own a (space) frog in Warframe? I THINK NOT!

All valid points. The platinum system is just a bit crazy in its current state and I'll happily admit that it can be a bit off putting. That being said, I'm weak, and so I ended up buying Frost.

In comparison to Nyx, it's night and day. Not only does he look like a straight up bad ass, but his abilities are fuck-awesome. Especially Snow Globe. When you use it, it creates a large barrier around you that prevents bullets from getting in and will bounce bullets around inside of it. Any enemy that runs in goes into slow motion and so you can just pick them all off. It also works on bosses - and it's only 50 energy.

His other abilities like freeze (freezes a single target) are also great. I haven't unlocked his ultimate yet, but I've read about what it's like, and it sounds amazing.

If you're on the fence about buying one of the frames, invest in Frost. While he does run slower than the other frames (except Rhino) he makes up for it with a huge amount of shields/armor and he is arguably a more effective tank than Rhino is. Plus, he dishes out a ton of damage.

I'll give Nyx another chance after I've leveled up Frost some more, but right now he's my main frame.

Edit:

Here's a short clip of some gameplay with Frost and why I love the Bolto gun so much.

Man, Mag's Crush ability got nerfed hard.

Before I could grab an entire room with one 40-ish% Power Range mod. Now I have 2 of them that add up to over 80%, and I still can't reach as far as I did.

I also have 2 Power Strength mods (over 70%), and all 3 upgrades in the point tree. I can't kill even normal enemies over level mid 20-ish. Before I think I had one 30% Strength mod and I could kill any enemy in the area that wasn't an Ancient or Heavy Grineer, no matter what their level.

As Mag's only damaging ability, this really friggen sucks. I don't want to convert all my mods to boost the only helpful skill to be viable.

Flipyap

Man, Mag's Crush ability got nerfed hard.

Before I could grab an entire room with one 40-ish% Power Range mod. Now I have 2 of them that add up to over 80%, and I still can't reach as far as I did.

I also have 2 Power Strength mods (over 70%), and all 3 upgrades in the point tree. I can't kill even normal enemies over level mid 20-ish. Before I think I had one 30% Strength mod and I could kill any enemy in the area that wasn't an Ancient or Heavy Grineer, no matter what their level.

As Mag's only damaging ability, this really friggen sucks. I don't want to convert all my mods to boost the only helpful skill to be viable.
That sucks, but it's also entirely unsurprising... aaaand it also makes the very idea of charging for frames at this stage in the game's development sound really shady. I think we're in for even more significant ability changes, which basically means that you're allowed to buy a thing that's going to change into something completely different by the time this leaves beta.
...and then you'll have to pay extra to store a frame you'd actually want to play. Ehhh.

1stStrike

Banned
That sucks, but it's also entirely unsurprising... aaaand it also makes the very idea of charging for frames at this stage in the game's development sound really shady. I think we're in for even more significant ability changes, which basically means that you're allowed to buy a thing that's going to change into something completely different by the time this leaves beta.
...and then you'll have to pay extra to store a frame you'd actually want to play. Ehhh.

They're going to be offering optional resets later on, or you can simply email support and request a reset and they'll do it for you. This will refund all of your plat as well, so if you end up in a situation where you're not happy with what you bought you can just reset. Doesn't take long to level up either, really.

Flipyap

They're going to be offering optional resets later on, or you can simply email support and request a reset and they'll do it for you. This will refund all of your plat as well, so if you end up in a situation where you're not happy with what you bought you can just reset. Doesn't take long to level up either, really.
If it really works out this way, that does sound fair (if a bit like a hassle).

derFeef

From the reading I thought the new skilltrees are a bit more fleshed out, but they seem just to be a rearrangement.

jdl

Banned
Just started playing this over the weekend. I'm really enjoying the character movement and abilities. The art style is fantastic. And there's something interesting about how they're finally building on the original Dark Sector concept.

The world seems interesting as well. A shame we'll probably never see a story and sense of exploration built around it.

Flipyap

Open Beta Weekend - https://warframe.com/news/open-beta-weekend-feb-15-19
Clear your schedule: Tenno assemble for the Warframe Open Beta Weekend!

Friday, February 15th at 12:00pm EST thru
Tuesday, February 19th until 9:00am EST

We are unlocking the servers to allow ALL registered users into Warframe

- NO Beta Key required! - "

Plus, patch notes:

"Update 6.3 - "Make Love, Not War(frame)"

We’re feelin’ the love here at Warframe Headquarters!

Additions:
11 brand new rooms for Grineer environment set
New game mode! Mobile Defense missions are now available.
New enemy types: The Grineer Seeker with a devastating new attack.
New weapon added: Grineer Heavy Pistol (Kraken)

HOm8FDH.jpg

Special Limited Additions:
Valentine’s Day Colour palette –
Valentine’s Day Theme – love is in the air!
These are one day only, get ‘em while they're hot!

Changes:
Inventory screen now only shows 10 pages of items at a time, added First and Last buttons as well
Player will now slide back down a wall if they reach the peak of their wall run without jumping off
Avatar can now be rotated on the colour picker screen
Increase probability of Alerts dropping blueprints

Fixes:
Skill tree fixes for activation and network
Mind controlled AI can now be damaged by players while still mind controlled
Bosses will now stagger instead of being knocked down in most cases
Fixed an issue with consumables that may have had bad data allowing them to never expire
Boss cinematics should now play even if there is a dead player spectating
Fix for opening player list and consumable menu at the same time
Fixes for leech and mine projectiles in MP
Fix for Clients getting a shortened bleedout timer if killed by radial damage
Infested Chargers now properly ragdoll when killed by elemental effects
Local Reflections settings now properly save
Nyx's mind control visual effect now lasts the same duration as the power itself
Fix for Overload blocking player melee as while the power is still damaging enemies
Contact list UI improvements
Clicking on the Market banners now open the correct item page
Game will now wait for all players to connect after a host migration before giving the new host control
Gram hit box improved
Dual Heat Sword charge attack fixed

Closing Digital Extreme's Psychic Wound

iOS341d.jpg

Article by Patrick Klepek, on how Dark Sector's original concept was a non-starter at publishers. The original concept video in 2004 had no game behind it. Sony wanted it to be set in Civil War. Sci-fi was a no go.

“Can you set in present day?” said Sinclair, who claimed these were more-or-less direct quotes from executives. “Can you give the guy an eye patch? Can you make his cod piece larger?”

Uh, cod piece?

“An executive at a publisher that will remain nameless called out the cod piece, and also suggested that he look more grizzled and that he be torn up and, perhaps, an eye patch and some stubble would help,” he said. “Actually, our art director, who's the same art director on Warframe, Mike Brennan, drew a picture of a guy screaming with large bullet holes in his ears in response to that feedback, which we didn't send. [laughs]”

I-I...need to see that piece of art.

docbon

I'm not sure when or how this happened, but it looks like everyone was removed from the GAF clan. I went through this thread searching for names, and re-sent invites! If I missed you, let me know!

PS: Update 7 is going to be major. Coming sometime mid March... or so they say ;)

PSS: Developer Livestream Q&A Session happening February 27th @ 1:00 PM EST, for those interested.

Nice. I'll definitely hop back in after a fat content patch. I enjoyed the game a lot, just needed more everything.

For those that missed the Livestream, it's recorded here if you want to watch it.

Lots of things discussed!

- Warframe coming to Steam
- New area - Snowy outdoors of a civilization past (Orokin)!
- Two new Warframes briefly mentioned.. Sound & Poison types
- A dojo-esque place with tutorials and possibly a place to hang out at
- Blocking attacks and bullets at the cost of stamina
- Overhaul of mod system into an Artifact/card-like system
- Sentinels - A pet you can upgrade and change behavior of (Make it attack, collect loot for you, etc)
- Global chat
- Lore being worked on
- Stealth being worked on
- Defense mission with progressively scaling enemy waves

Some other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head :p

Also, for the next 12 hours there is a special alert mission with an Orokin Reactor reward!

jdl

Banned
Closing Digital Extreme's Psychic Wound

iOS341d.jpg

Article by Patrick Klepek, on how Dark Sector's original concept was a non-starter at publishers. The original concept video in 2004 had no game behind it. Sony wanted it to be set in Civil War. Sci-fi was a no go.

I-I...need to see that piece of art.

Nice article. I remember when that original concept for Dark Sector was unveiled. The idea of intergalatic bounty hunting that spanned multiple planets sounded amazing at the time.

It's great they've finally been able to create something more in keeping with the original idea.

It's not harder you just don't have any mods so you're more or less level 1. My level 30 warframe only has 100 heath and shields and level 30 guns with base damage. Gotta go and start grinding on lower level missions. Which isn't exactly an attractive proposition.

Top Bottom