• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of WTF Did they do to the character design??

Uh, new Lara still has massive knockers. Massive. Take a second to look at them. Yes, they are reduced from previous games, but if you think that's "realistic" based on what you've seen please tell me where you live so I can move near you immediately.

:lol do you live in a preschool? New Laura is at most above-average, and I feel that that's being generous.

spekkeh

Banned
New Lara is so awesome. I'm not a person that's greatly interested in character art normally (although the moe stuff in the recent Final Fantasy games is just about to put me off of the series for good), but the Lara redesign is making me actually interested in the series for the first time. Well apart from that omg I can oggle at this girl from all sides when I was fourteen and played tomb raider 1. Always thought the games were crap, but I'm suddenly all over this.

I think the Banjo Kazooie redesign is really interesting actually, because it seems to me they purposefully went for the blocky design to appeal to our nostalgic feelings for the Banjo Kazooie of old. Only when you look at the art, it was never meant blocky! (I'm fine with the new one though)

Also, facepalm at people naming Link and Zelda.

Hiltz

I see what people mean by Lara's botox lips but even still, she's still one of the most attractive and realistic versions of the character yet.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Zelda-Wind-Waker-Link-Waving-Goodbye-580x435.jpg

Ugh, awful. The visuals in that game were so awesome, but the character designs were hideous across the board.

Skyward Sword Link was so, so much improved.

Agreed. The eyes in particular on the characters made me feel like Satan was trying to steal my soul.

Not sure what happened to Elena's nose from Uncharted 2 to 3. Not really a big deal, but kinda weird.

uncharted-2-persos-2.jpg

Uncharted3Screenshot2.jpg

I sort of feel like she was wearing more make up during Uncharted 3.
Nathan and her had just broken up, she could have been trying to look better. At least I can see story reasons for the change.

I understand that the change was because of gameplay, but goddammit what the hell happened? Are these actually different strains of the same species or different species?

The original were a badass blue alien race, which looked so alien you did't even know what you were looking at. And they don't go around fighting on the ground to get killed by bipedal humans.
ZJ9xY.jpg

Plus they send these awesome looking drones that fight for them.

1YdSal.jpg

The redesign is a red squid in a bipedal suit, with half of its body sticking out.
JScjDl.jpg

CorvoSol

I thought everyone's eyes looked better in Uncharted 3 than 2. Their eyes in 2 looked all tired and sweaty. Which is a bad way of describing what I'm thinking, but yeah, the eyes and the areas around them looked better to me in Uncharted 3.

I never thought the Light Warrior on the original box was supposed to be Fighter. I always figured he was more of a mascot for the Light Warriors in general, considering none of the classes looked remotely like him, even when they started redesigning them for the remakes.
I do think he is supposed to be Fighter. The designs of the four Light Warriors are actually pretty consistent across Amano's artwork. They are always those four characters:

PCrVjl.jpg

jett

D-Member
This thread has reminded me that I don't like ho-bag Naomi from MGS4 either.

Naomi-1.jpg

realdoll hobag

77722287040.jpg

scientist

Raziel

It's not even like the new design is that bad or anything. However this will forever be the only Dante design I accept and acknowledge.
DdSIp.png
the only dante you accept is sports bra Poochie the Rockin' Dog Dante? i think you meant to post DMC1 dante, sir.

RedAssedApe

Banned
as someone who knows nothing about KoF, i do think that year 2000 design is awesome

The artists changed for the character artwork between KOFs but the in game sprite has always been pretty consistent. Until KOF12-13 where they did re-did designs on Kensou and Athena to try and match their original incarnations.

psychosoldierflyer.jpg

LOL

udivision

The artists changed for the character artwork between KOFs but the in game sprite has always been pretty consistent. Until KOF12-13 where they did re-did designs on Kensou and Athena to try and match their original incarnations.

psychosoldierflyer.jpg

LOL

Wow... lol. That explains the Kof12-13's legs I gues... which admittedly is the only good part of the modern design :-/

I came here to post Nathan "Rad" Spencer. Love his look from Rearmed and actually from Rearmed 2 the most. The 3-D one cannot possibly be the same guy, there's no way. Even with jail time. I hate the 3-D one, it makes me so mad. Not just the character change but the game itself as well.

Raziel

It's the same character.
surfing on/vaulting off a missile is video games' version of jumping the shark. it happened to snake, and it happened to dante. once foot touches missile, there's no going back.

also, electric guitar (interchangeable with skateboards for max cool) weapon:

dante-nevan.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned
surfing on/vaulting off a missile is video games' version of jumping the shark. it happened to snake, and it happened to dante. once foot touches missile, there's no going back.

also, electric guitar (interchangeable with skateboards for max cool) weapon:

dante-nevan.jpg

Surfing move totally fit into the tongue in cheek nature of the game though.

What I think some people don't get about the original Dante design is that not only was Kamiya going for the cool stylish look but also for a classic game character look. Think about it. Devil May Cry's world and setting is dark and gothic with many different shades of black and gray. To compensate for this the main character is bright red with sliver hair to really stand out and emphasize the personality of the character being completely different from the rest of the world. Not only do more colors and details become more vivid as you progress through the game, it makes the other characters (bosses ect.) stand out more.

788910.jpg

Dante to me is so classic in this regard because it reminds me of other classic characters designs such as this

2010-08-01_MA_CV1.png

or this

mega-man-2-virtual-console-20080916082415476_640w.jpg

gunbo13

the only dante you accept is sports bra Poochie the Rockin' Dog Dante? i think you meant to post DMC1 dante, sir.
6zjwh.png

What I think some people don't get about the original Dante design is that not only was Kamiya going for the cool stylish look but also for a classic game character look. Think about it. Devil May Cry's world and setting is dark and gothic with many different shades of black and gray. To compensate for this the main character is bright red with sliver hair to really stand out and emphasize the personality of the character being completely different from the rest of the world. Not only do more colors and details become more vivid as you progress through the game, it makes the other characters (bosses ect.) stand out more.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ol664V3lik0/Tmx75Y-BxGI/AAAAAAAAJ68/JD1nRFnZi1Q/s1600/788910.jpg[IMG]

Dante to me is so classic in this regard because it reminds me of other classic characters designs such as this

[IMG]http://www.deltaattack.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/2010-08-01_MA_CV1.png[IMG]

or this

[IMG]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/910/910412/mega-man-2-virtual-console-20080916082415476_640w.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I 100% approve and agree with this post.

Well pretty much every character in MGS4 looked weird.
I agree, though I think Mei Ling and
Big Boss
looked great.

This
RE_Mercenaries_3D_Chris_psd_jpgcopy.jpg

I think Chris' RE5 design problem was being super buff with the really tight shirt because
Chris-Redfield-render-02.jpg

Chris_Redfield_by_Cheli_chan.png
Look great.

I think this is probably the best redesign imo.
KH2+LE%25C3%2593N.jpg

RedSwirl

I understand that the change was because of gameplay, but goddammit what the hell happened? Are these actually different strains of the same species or different species?

The original were a badass blue alien race, which looked so alien you did't even know what you were looking at. And they don't go around fighting on the ground to get killed by bipedal humans.

The redesign is a red squid in a bipedal suit, with half of its body sticking out.
JScjDl.jpg

They actually made hand-drawn Crysis designs? More?

The different designs for the fairies in Zelda constantly make me think this.

Pre-N64 Zeldas and the oracle games have ones that generally look like this.

Fairy_A_Link_to_the_Past.gif

They typically look like this in Ocarina of Time/Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks/ Skyward Sword/

Navi.png

The ones in Majora's Mask/Four Swords mostly look like these.

Stray_Fairy.png

They generally look like this in The Wind Waker/Four Swords Adventures/The Minish Cap.

Bottled_Fairy_The_Wind_Waker.png

Great Fairies/ Fairy Queen

GB Games

Fairy_Queen_Oracle_of_Ages.gif

The Wind Waker/Four Swords Adventures use these.

GreatfairyWW.png

Queen_of_Fairies.png

The Minish Cap

MinishCapGreatFairy.png

Twilight Princess

Great_Fairy_Twilight_Princess.png

Bonus: Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland

FairyWTF.png

Uh, new Lara still has massive knockers. Massive. Take a second to look at them. Yes, they are reduced from previous games, but if you think that's "realistic" based on what you've seen please tell me where you live so I can move near you immediately.

Where do you live where all girls have only tiny boobs and anyone with anything even approaching large is unrealistic?!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I hated the decrepit Desmond in Revelations.

I didn't even know Revelations had a different desmond. I really disliked his look after three games though, so the change looks better, aside from the rather unappealing position he's in in the screenshot.

Jharp

ZJ9xY.jpg

Plus they send these awesome looking drones that fight for them.

1YdSal.jpg

JScjDl.jpg

I hate that I'm having a serious discussion about Crysis' god awful story BUT...

Remember that the alien ship embedded in the island in Crysis was supposed to predate mankind, and was some number of millions of years old. They've been in cryosleep and get woken up, so you're fighting millions-years-old members of that race. In Crysis 2 they come straight to earth in the present and invade, if I'm remembering the story correctly, so a bit of racial evolution and certain technological evolution is inferred there.

And let's not forger that fighting the aliens in Crysis was boring and not fun, but fighting the aliens in Crysis 2 was a blast. Crytek can change whatever the hell they want about the visual design, so long as it facilitates better moment to moment gameplay.

Top Bottom