• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNintendo: "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor"

Neonep

That reddit post isn't the first time I've read that both Mario and Zelda will be at launch (although I'm personally very skeptical of that, still even having one of them at launch is a huge deal, and hasn't happened since the N64 -- New Super Mario Bros U doesn't count)

I'm a big Nintendo fan and I never had a Wii U, and I'm not the only one here. Seeing how the Wii U didn't sell that well a lot of people will be happy about enhanced Wii U ports that they missed out on.

I agree, but there is no stopping GAF. If anything speculation is only going to intensify from now until the event.

I don't own PS4 or Xbox and I don't care about any of the games on that list. Nintendo gamers care about Nintendo games. You're projecting your own preferences on a wider group of customers that have a very different set of priorities than you.
So do you just like reading about videogames or do you only have a 3DS. How is it that you are on GAF but don't own a PS4, Xbox One, or a Wii U? Please enlighten me.

Sulik2

So Nintendo's manufacturing division is just incompetent is what this tells me. They have proven themselves incapable of proper planning that a business of Nintendo's size and maturity should be capable of. They lost millions of sales on the Nintendo Classic production screw up and now it seems they are going to under produce the Switch as well. I think the Switch is going to fail, but please Nintendo at least don't shoot yourself in foot by making it impossible to find at launch at least.

Chemo

Nintendo is never going to ship the appropriate amount of stock for any console ever again. They love trying to increase demand by scarcity. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... but they are going to try it Every Single Time.

Better pre-order ASAP *and* line up way, way early if you want this device before next year.

As long as Zelda is a launch title, I’m going to pre-order. Hopefully Amazon will do pre-orders this time around and not screw up. Otherwise, I’ll have to try my luck at a Gamestop or Best Buy (which I don’t particularly like).

what about Best Buy?

ugh, friday is going to suck

Best Buy will probably see the majority of units. I can't really speak to whatever contract they might have in place but Nintendo has been in Best Buys corner for some time now dating back to recent E3 showcases and demos run in store.

They also had the most units of the NES Classic Edition at launch and with minimal restocks after (I think)

(I work at BB)

yyr

I've made multiple payments over the phone in my life.

So have I, but most of them were many years ago, and only to pay bills.

I'm just saying that I don't think many places that sell video games in the US do it. I'm pretty sure that they require you to pre-order in person.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So do you just like reading about videogames or do you only have a 3DS. How is it that you are on GAF but don't own a PS4, Xbox One, or a Wii U? Please enlighten me.

There's plenty of single platform owners on GAF, not just Nintendo ones. And of course many people like keeping up with the whole industry even if they only game on one platform.

Honestly, there just aren't many good, active gaming forums anymore so many people end up here despite it being a multiplatform community without console-specific subforums.

So have I, but most of them were many years ago, and only to pay bills.

I'm just saying that I don't think many places that sell video games in the US do it. I'm pretty sure that they require you to pre-order in person.

Well yes, you're right about this.

Papacheeks

Banned
LOL damn I stand corrected. I hope this means a DQ 10 port at switch launch with DQ 11 coming later.

Damn... if there is new Zelda, Mario, and Dragon Quest at launch...? Wow.

Dragon quest 11 is not a launch title I can confirm that. Like square even said game is a long ways out as in 2018 at the earliest. Dragon quest X i believe since that was an MMO out in Japan. But it may not release stateside like some one else mentioned.

Zelda is the one that the biggest mystery as there are conflicting reports. It wouldn't make sense to show that game as much as they have and not have it be a launch title I will agree.

So it could be launch. The new mario game I guess has been done for a while so that I believe.

Mario, Zelda, Splatoon will be what I come home with for sure. But if there are anything new that they show that sparks my interest I may get that as well.

DMONKUMA

So y'all really gonna stand in front of GameStop in the cold....for the preorder?

What's your game plan? Head to the GameStop a couple hours before it opens and just wait? If you don't live directly in the city or in a place with a lot of people then it could work for you.

So y'all really gonna stand in front of GameStop in the cold....for the preorder?

What's your game plan? Head to the GameStop a couple hours before it opens and just wait? If you don't live directly in the city or in a place with a lot of people then it could work for you.
My Gamestop is in a mall. Gonna get there a hour before opening.

I do have a 3DS (more than one actually), and a decent gaming PC (GTX 970)... but yes I do "just like reading about video games" mostly. I'm not voting in the GOTY thread because I don't think I played a single game released in the last year.

I can only seem to play on handhelds anymore, and not much even at that. I'm 38 years old for what it's worth, and been on GAF since the very beginning 15+ years ago.

Switch interests me purely as a handheld.

Neonep

Plenty of GAF users play solely on PC.
That makes sense.

There's plenty of single platform owners on GAF, not just Nintendo ones. And of course many people like keeping up with the whole industry even if they only game on one platform.

Honestly, there just aren't many good, active gaming forums anymore so many people end up here despite it being a multiplatform community without console-specific subforums.
Just he's a big Nintendo fan but doesn't own a Wii U. Ok, I can understand that. Don't own a PS4 or Xbox One, ok can see that. I was like wow so you don't play games on console. Ok. Then (as I said up top) PC gaming and handhelds are what is left.

mcfrank

The only console launch in recent memory that was easy to get in the first 6 months was Xbox one, probably because it was $500. I don't think I was able to lock down a PS4 at launch price until like March.

The Wii U was collecting dust on the shelves right after launching.

Do we know that Amazon is doing Switch pre-orders? I haven't been following the latest twists and turns, but last I remember Amazon did not directly sell Nintendo hardware after they de-listed the 3DS all those years ago.

Didn't they start selling 3DS units directly about a year or so ago? I know that run has dried up now, but I'd assume the Nintendo relationship is patched up now. Especially considering Amazon has gotten exclusive Amiibo releases.

Also I doubt Amazon would already have the product page up if they weren't planning on doing orders soon.

Edit: Here's an article from when Amazon started selling New 3DS's directly again

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynintendonews.com/2015/06/10/amazon-and-nintendo-back-in-business/amp/

Neonep

I do have a 3DS (more than one actually), and a decent gaming PC (GTX 970)... but yes I do "just like reading about video games" mostly. I'm not voting in the GOTY thread because I don't think I played a single game released in the last year.

I can only seem to play on handhelds anymore, and not much even at that. I'm 38 yeard old for what it's worth.

Switch interests me purely as a handheld.

See this makes sense. Myself, I am more likely to play on handhelds. but I still play on consoles. It's cool to just keep up with games too.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

There's a Gamestop near me that opens at 10am. The Starbucks next to it opens at 5am. I could get to the Starbucks a few hours before the Gamestop opens up and just post up there until I stop people showing up. Then hop in line and wait until I can get my name into their system.

I don't really want to do things this way, but I just want to make sure I have a Switch launch day. There's also a Best Buy in the same strip mall area, so I might go and try to get a pre-order there as well, but we'll see how things go come Friday morning.

Yeah, if I can't preorder, I'M OUT. Got a massive Steam backlog to worry about and Persona 5, the Yakuza games, and Azure Revolution coming on PS4, sooooo... Not going to waste my time fighting with scalpers

Neonep

Man, Nintendo needs to step it up on the stock. How much would it suck if parents went into the store to buy a Switch for their kids and it's just ridiculously sold out and they settle for a PS4 or Xbox One.

Reallink

Why is everyone refencing Friday, have they officially announced that's the preorder date? Isn't the unveil Thursday?

Why is everyone refencing Friday, have they officially announced that's the preorder date? Isn't the unveil Thursday?

Switch presentation starts at 11 PM EST on Thursday evening. Rumor/assumption is that Switch preorders will open at most retailers in the morning on the 13th.

GDGF

Soothsayer

Going to walk in the mall at 9 and wait til it Gamestop opens at 10.

Neonep

I feel like everybody that makes a good effort about preordering should get one day 1. No reason for that to not happen.

Stiler

Seriously, they are going to do like the NES classic and make it artificially rare aren't they?

Can someone explain how that benefits nintendo OR the gamers who want one?

Cause it seems like an incredibly stupid thing to me, Nintendo doesn't see any money from second-hand sales, the consumers who want to give Nintendo money to buy one can't because they are sold out, the ONLY people that benefit from this are scalpers and people who resell the few units that are released.

Ponn

Banned
I mean I don't get the surprise, this was a given. It's a new Nintendo console that is doing something different and is hyped. Regardless if you believe Nintendo does artificial scarcity they act like they do every time so retailers have shorter preorder windows. Can't believe sites are getting hits for this non-news.

bomblord1

Banned
Seriously, they are going to do like the NES classic and make it artificially rare aren't they?

Can someone explain how that benefits nintendo OR the gamers who want one?

Cause it seems like an incredibly stupid thing to me, Nintendo doesn't see any money from second-hand sales, the consumers who want to give Nintendo money to buy one can't because they are sold out, the ONLY people that benefit from this are scalpers and people who resell the few units that are released.

They don't have to lose money on unsold systems and pay fees for retailers to keep them in their warehouses.

Top Bottom