• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Reading from "welcome-to-dota-you-suck" guide

I found the bolded part at the bottom particularly interesting, me being a noob. I always auto-attacked the creep line.

I tend to auto attack creeps and push the creep line back toward their tower. And I do tend to get ganked on their side much more frequently than on my side. So I am thinking about adopting this. I mostly play support classes for what that is worth.

Thoughts?

Adopting this (at least in early game) is absolutely mandatory if you want to farm without getting ganked.

Don't auto-attack. When it comes to creeps, only attack to last-hit or deny.

Ability loadouts? Holy shit. So, we're gonna be able to customize our abilities, too? (I'll just say that I'm already assuming it's completely cosmetic.)

...I dunno if that's a good thing. Seems potentially dangerous to change the visuals - like particle effects, colors, whatever - of the abilities of heroes. Changing the heroes' skins/accessories is fine, because I don't think anything will change them so much as to be unrecognizable, but if you modify the visual effects of their skills? There are a lot of abilities that I recognize instantly based on their effects. I don't even want to think about what would happen if one day SK's Epicenter gets a new visual effect and I don't realize it and I'm like "WHY AM I TAKING ALL THIS DAMAGE".

What I'm hoping that actually means is that each skill will have an associated taunt or dance or whatever. But I dunno. There's already a slot for taunts. Hmmm. U:

I'm probably overthinking things here. For now, I'm still gonna give Valve the benefit of the doubt.

Incoming counter strike go venomancer, fully equipped with quadra wield deagles.

Ability loadouts? Holy shit. So, we're gonna be able to customize our abilities, too? (I'll just say that I'm already assuming it's completely cosmetic.)

...I dunno if that's a good thing. Seems potentially dangerous to change the visuals - like particle effects, colors, whatever - of the abilities of heroes. Changing the heroes' skins/accessories is fine, because I don't think anything will change them so much as to be unrecognizable, but if you modify the visual effects of their skills? There are a lot of abilities that I recognize instantly based on their effects. I don't even want to think about what would happen if one day SK's Epicenter gets a new visual effect and I don't realize it and I'm like "WHY AM I TAKING ALL THIS DAMAGE".

What I'm hoping that actually means is that each skill will have an associated taunt or dance or whatever. But I dunno. There's already a slot for taunts. Hmmm. U:

I'm probably overthinking things here. For now, I'm still gonna give Valve the benefit of the doubt.

With I don't know if this is a good idea. The game already has a ton of spells/abilities that people need to learn. Adding to that list isn't exactly going in the direction of making the game more accessible.

Rinku

Banned
Zeus is rarely useful late game. Unless you are up against a team of low hp heroes, most players will have too much hp for Zeus to be effective. Even with an a-scepter and/or refresher.

Static Field does 11% extra damage to current HP whenever you cast a spell. Let's say we have a 2k HP hero in a team fight, whenever you cast a spell, you will deal an additional 220 magic damage. This doesn't just apply to one hero, it applies to all heroes with their corresponding HP. (4k hp pudge gets hit for 440, bla bla). He's a hero with great scalability.

vinicius

Neo Member
Static Field does 11% extra damage to current HP whenever you cast a spell. Let's say we have a 2k HP hero in a team fight, whenever you cast a spell, you will deal an additional 220 magic damage. This doesn't just apply to one hero, it applies to all heroes with their corresponding HP. (4k hp pudge gets hit for 440, bla bla). He's a hero with great scalability.

Plus his invis-revealing gear.

Max

I am not Max
Even then...changing the way a spell looks will make the game a bit harder to learn...

Didn't see your guys' posts above

I don't think it could be any more of a problem than someone new to the game seeing Orca Tide and not identifying him as the guy with the huge aoe spike stun

JustinBB7

Cyborgmatt also updated his other post with these:

[Bit big so quoting it]

DotA2_Selection.jpg

Phantom Assassin:

npc_dota_hero_phantom_assassin.png

Max

I am not Max
Next thing you know there will be spaces where your team can tell you what you can do with yourself.

Oh wait that's chat.

I don't know if this is towards me, valve, or the majority of people in the latest matchmaking games I've played that don't strategize on who their team should pick, using the chat. But okay.

The graphical interface can add some incentive for lower level players.

Davidion

I don't know if this is towards me, valve, or the majority of people playing in the latest matchmaking games I've played that don't strategize on who their team should pick, using the chat. But okay.

The graphical interface can add some incentive for lower level players.

Just a joke

I like the purported changes, though I don't know how useful it will be in terms of pub play.

LukeSmith

I hope this isn't a bunch of changes to abilities or alternate abilities for a hero. Hopefully it's all aesthetic (not even sure if I am excited about that) and doesn't do shit like alter cooldowns or there's some mode where I don't need to play with all of this.

I'd take some alt skins for Wards though

Davidion

New people using suggested heroes for the team so they pick good heroes to help out sounds pretty useful for pub games.

It's pub play; assuming that people would actually help by suggesting good heroes can be a stretch. The mechanism isn't the problem, it's the players.

I can at least see where Valve is trying to make the community collaborative. All the best to them if they can do it right.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I hope this isn't a bunch of changes to abilities or alternate abilities for a hero. Hopefully it's all aesthetic (not even sure if I am excited about that) and doesn't do shit like alter cooldowns or there's some mode where I don't need to play with all of this.

I'd take some alt skins for Wards though

No way would they do anything to change the skills in a way that would alter gameplay, I'd expect to see stuff like Tidehunter doing a bellyflop for his ult rather than the default. Not sure if I like that, they need to be careful with what they mess with though.

Ikuu

Yea, that is fine, but I don't want them messing with effects and then you have to make sure a purchased animation isn't better than the standard.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well they really fucked up PA.

Hopefully TA won't be as bad.

Ikuu

Doesn't look anywhere near finished. Also the Test Build Bug forum was added to the Dev forums so their should be an update tonight.

NG28

Yea, that is fine, but I don't want them messing with effects and then you have to make sure a purchased animation isn't better than the standard.

They won't fudge with any of the timings for the animations. They'll just look different.

Haly

Well I didn't think it was finished but just the general direction of her design is kind of meh compared to Frozen Throne Maiev, who is probably my favorite WC character design.
tumblr_limjl7SOTo1qhjpufo1_500.jpg

She gon' fuck ya'll up.

Swag

anti-mage? I don't think so, he's very good only in late game and before that I'll be like at 0 - 10 or underfeeded like hell.
Rather just pick Void and enjoy backtracking everything, at least you'll never die and you don't have to worry as much about BeastMaster / Obsidian Destroyer picks.
Well I didn't think it was finished but just the general direction of her design is kind of meh compared to Frozen Throne Maiev, who is probably my favorite WC character design.
Doubt anything they could design would look as good as Maiev, in her WC3 or WOW incarnations.

Haly

I think the main thing is to cover up her face in a way that makes her appear aloof and distant. The beta model just looks like some kawaii uguu girl cosplaying as Nomad.

I like what they did with Spectre, hope they can bring a fraction of Maiev's badassery to DOTA2.

Davidion

I think the main thing is to cover up her face in a way that makes her appear aloof and distant. The beta model just looks like some kawaii uguu girl cosplaying as Nomad.

I like what they did with Spectre, hope they can bring a fraction of Maiev's badassery to DOTA2.

You just want more big curvy spiky looking things.

mbmonk

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave their opinion on auto-attacking creeps. I have been doing it all wrong. As expected I guess for a newb.

Davidion

Big curvy spiky looking things are good!

Spectre does look good, but visually I think all of his jutting spikes only works so well because of the smoke effects and his round blade, which tempers the look.

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave their opinion on auto-attacking creeps. I have been doing it all wrong. As expected I guess for a newb.

It can always help to spectate a high level game and just eyeball what people are doing. You're not going to learn overnight what makes a good player but it helps for noticing if you're doing something glaringly wrong. A lot of the dynamics in this game isn't logical in an immediately obvious way; it's a blessing and a curse.

they should make phantom assassin fat

Phatassin, imo

Kapura

Banned
I sure wish this vs had bought something useful, like wards, or a sheep, or a mek, or anything except a desolator(35 minutes in!) and what looks like a Lothars!!

that must have been some awful skeleton king. Probably some noob who read this thread and heard he was ez. Vlad? jesus christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom