• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

The game has been in US stores as of Tuesday, August 28. Turns out, it's some pretty hot shit. And as a public service announcement, Metroid and Super Metroid are both available for VC download!

Alkaliine said:
0817071348hy7.jpg

OMG Metroid Prime 3 is apparently playable at GS/EB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ATTENTION

I realise I brought it into the discussion with the thread title but:

DON'T COME INTO THE THREAD TO DERAIL IT WITH ANY SORT OF FLAME WAR OR HATE FOR THE SERIES

The thread wasn't started because anyone cares about how much you're going to skip this game for ___________, but instead for those who are either excited for it or don't know much about it. If you're out to hate on the game, Jax put it best:
Jax said:
This is like the 2nd or 3rd of these threads here.
In other words, there's plenty of bandwidth on the forum to use up with cat pictures than this thread; I recommend using it.

ATTENTION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you kindly, and on with the thread. Spoilers in tags and such.

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070628014622365.jpg

Basic Information

Developer: Retro Studios, Inc.
Publisher: Nintendo
Genre: First-Person Adventure; Single-Player only
US release date: August 27, 2007
PAL: October 26, 2007
Australia: November 8, 2007
Japan: TBA 2007
MSRP: $49.99
Game Rating: T (Teen)
*Animated Blood
*Violence

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070702063403031.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070522103844212.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070702063410875.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070702063358843.jpg

Features
Nintendo said:
• First-Person Perfect: Players control Samus by moving with the Nunchuk controller and aiming with the Wii Remote controller, allowing for a level of immersion unlike anything they have ever experienced. It's a quantum leap in first-person control.
• Wonderful Weapons: Samus employs well-known power-ups like the Grapple Beam and Morph Ball, as well as new surprises, to help her survive. Using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers, players will be able to grasp and pull things by using actual arm movements, as well as execute amazing feats like aiming and blasting in midair or at a full run.
• Phazon's Powers: The game also incorporates a new system involving Phazon. If you fill Samus' Phazon supply to a certain level, Samus will temporarily go into hyper mode, a state in which she can pull off incredible feats. On the flip side, if she exceeds the maximum Phazon level, she'll perish. Also, for the first time in the Metroid series, Samus' ship will be used in active game play.

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070702063359500.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070702063402297.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070702063403687.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070711103440305.jpg

Story

From Nintendo's website:
If you think you knew what it felt like to be the bounty hunter behind the visor, think again. The Galactic Federation's network computer, Aurora Unit, is suddenly and completely corrupted with something like a virus. The Federation believes Space Pirates may be behind the problem and are soon attacked. Samus and other hunters leap to their defense only to find that the enemy they face is Dark Samus, armed with immense power that no one can withstand.

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20060606064048577.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20060606064049827.jpg

Videos - I'd like to keep the "footage/people playing Wii/ footage" shit out of the videos section, since we're all pretty clear on that and I don't think people have seen enough of the game in action.

GT - Hyrule.net Cam footage (I had to post this, they're still calling the Wii "Revolution")
GT - Wii Event Show Floor Walkthrough HD - first walkthrough and explanation of how to play
IGN - Wii3 2006 Full Ship Level walkthrough (Early version of first level in the game)
IGN - E3 2006 Full Space Station Level HD Walkthrough (Early ver of 2nd level in the game with Ridley Boss Battle!!)
GT - Ridley boss fight from Wii3 Demo (same one as the end of the E3 2006 demo if you want to directly see it without watching a 17 min demo) - (spoilers)
GT - E3 2007 Trailer - Some nice visor swapping effects in this one
GT - E3 2007 Developer Walkthrough HD (highly recommended)
Jeux-France E3 2007 demo (continues on from Wii3 level)
IGN - Samus in her Ship
IGN - Off-Screen Trailer - Looks like the video that plays during the title screen
GT - Metroid Prime 3 Preview OMG MAKE YOU WANT (minor area spoilers, too)
GT - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes vs. Metroid Prime 3 Comparison - for whiny baby whiners who can't tell a difference

These are the videos currently available on the Metroid Prime 3 Wii Channel, in case you don't have a Wii or Wifi for it to download them. Also for lazy people.
GT - Bridge Battle Gameplay
GT - Trailer 3
GT - Aurora Unit Trailer
GT - Spider Ball Gameplay
GT - Air Assault Gameplay
GT - Phazon Enhancement Device Trailer
GT - Valhalla Trailer
GT - Bowling Gameplay
GT - Mine Battle Gameplay
GT - Dark Samus Trailer

Gametrailers has also been running steady with a retrospective on the series, which is great if you're a fan or are just trying to do some catching up with the overall story.

GT - The Metroid Retrospective Part 1/5 Metroid [NES] and Metroid 2 [Game Boy]
GT - The Metroid Retrospective Part 2/5 Super Metroid & Metroid Fusion [GBA]
GT - The Metroid Retrospective Part 3/5 Metroid Prime 1 & 2
GT - The Metroid Retrospective Part 4/5 Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Prime Pinball, & Intro to Metroid Prime 3
GT - The Metroid Retrospective Part 5/5 History of the series

Gribbix said:
First hour of gameplay at GamesRadar.

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20060606064058998.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20060606064058592.jpg

Previews/Impressions

Shacknews
IGN
Gamespy
Destructoid
Game Life

4ktzevk.jpg

Reviews

1UP - 9.0

Mark MacDonald said:
On the whole, Corruption takes advantage of the Wii's biggest strength (with its unique controls), and minimizes its greatest weakness (through astounding art direction), while otherwise maintaining or improving upon the high standards and overall polish the series is known for. No predictions for six years down the road this time, just one for this fall: load a fresh pair of batteries into the controller, dust off the Wii, and surrender a week of your life to Corruption -- you won't be sorry.
IGN - 9.5
Matt Casamassina said:
I call it the best game on Nintendo's console. It is clear from the moment you pick up the controller that Prime 3 was developed exclusively for Wii. Not only do the new controls respond quicker and with more precision than any dual-analog-helmed FPS ever created, but the gesture system works brilliantly, too. Meanwhile, the title delivers everything a Metroid fan could hope for, including spectacular environmental puzzles, epic boss fights and intense combat, all wrapped up in a package that spans multiple worlds and is filled with re-traversal exploration.
Shack "we don't need scores" News
Chris Remo said:
Nintendo's current TV ad for Metroid Prime 3 is part of its "Wii Would Like to Play" campaign, intended to demonstrate how the system is accessible even to those not well-versed in playing video games.

Do not be fooled.

Except in the most basic sense that an intuitive pointer is used to aim your weapon, Prime 3 is not a particularly accessible game. It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
Gametrailers - 9.6
"You'll never wanna play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again"

and

"Some of the greatest moments in gaming ever burned onto a disk"

Nintendo Power - 10/10 (lol, NP)
Since its introduction, gamers have seen great potential in the Wii remote as a natural controller for first-person action games. But while several titles have pulled off the method adequately, Corruption is the first that doesn’t leave any room for you to consider whether it would be better with a traditional controller…. the system works impeccably… this is the title that gamers have been waiting for.
Gamespot - 8.5
Insert link to GAF meltdown in Metroid reviews thread

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070826101133828.jpg

"Don't keep me waiting, Ani"

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Awesome thread Spinnington. You just put more effort into this than both Retro + Nintendo combined, along with their multi-million dollar advertising budget and resources, in advertising this game.

angelfly said:
Great thread but this will be locked just like the one made a couple days ago.
Seriously?

I got over-excited and made the official thread, seeing as how Bioshock's has been around for about a week and Corruption comes out exactly a week later. I'll keep tabs on any new info, but I was just concerned it would be a shitty official thread; I've never made one before.

Costanza

Banned
I'm still on the fence about buying this. Never played a Metroid game before, but I would like a new Wii game. I'm sorta worried about not understanding the story.

angelfly

Mr. Spinnington said:
Seriously?

I got over-excited and made the official thread, seeing as how Bioshock's has been around for about a week and Corruption comes out exactly a week later. I'll keep tabs on any new info, but I was just concerned it would be a shitty official thread; I've never made one before.

Yeah I noticed the Bioshock one. Still I was referring to this thread that was locked by sp0rsk and reason being "We're still 3 weeks off."

Banned
Slurpy said:
Awesome thread Spinnington. You just put more effort into this than both Retro + Nintendo combined, along with their multi-million dollar advertising budget and resources, in advertising this game.
So you would rather take this post, then the videos that are on 10 million wii's right now?:lol

Seriously, they are advertising the damn game. We are done with that shit now.

/\
Nothing like ****ty compressed streaming video only available to those who have already shelled out their money on the console to maximize the potential of a killer app. [/sarcasm]

Does anyone else really feel like the art direction in this franchise has been going downhill since the original game?

Really looking forward to the game in any case.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the videos avaliable on the Wii Metroid Prime 3 preview channel. While the action looked good, the graphics didn't look all that great. I hope it was just the quality of the video.

Still a first day purchase. :)

neoxavean

Banned
Costanza said:
I'm still on the fence about buying this. Never played a Metroid game before, but I would like a new Wii game. I'm sorta worried about not understanding the story.

That's about similar to being worried about playing a Mario or Zelda game and being worried about not understanding the story.

dslgunstar said:
/\
Nothing like ****ty compressed streaming video only available to those who have already shelled out their money on the console to maximize the potential of a killer app. [/sarcasm]

Does anyone else really feel like the art direction in this franchise has been going downhill since the original game?

They haven't really shown that much :/
But that sky level and samus inside her ship looks amazing

neoxavean said:
That's about similar to being worried about playing a Mario or Zelda game and being worried about not understanding the story.

Not necessarily. The Prime games have a pretty engaging story, even though it's not entirely vital to follow.

My advice to the guy who addressed it: Just read a gamefaq of the stories from the previous two.

Vilix said:
I watched the videos avaliable on the Wii Metroid Prime 3 preview channel. While the action looked good, the graphics didn't look all that great. I hope it was just the quality of the video.

Still a first day purchase. :)
After watching the retrospective and then looking at MP3, there's a very clear jump in graphics.

Seriously, it's the quality you saw it at --the game looks fantastic.

I know why Nintendo isn't hyping this game. It's because they want it to not do so good so they can say "see? Gamers don't want games. They want Non-games." then they will advertise the hell out of wii fit.

Lightning

Banned
There is a lack of hype because with this game there is nothing to be excited about.

I am still puzzled how it can possibly be compared to Brawl and Galaxy when the sale difference between those games and MP3 is going to be massive.

I will play the game, but it's not the type of game that will appeal to the mass market.

Considering how this game controls like Gundam Wii, my hype-o-meter for this game recently rose. Can't wait til this game comes out.

Bloodwake

perfectchaos007 said:
I know why Nintendo isn't hyping this game. It's because they want it to not do so good so they can say "see? Gamers don't want games. They want Non-games." then they will advertise the hell out of wii fit.

Month of Metroid? Free Wii channel download full of videos? Metroid and Super Metroid on VC?

Jesus Christ people don't fucking pay attention. Nintendo not hyping Metroid? Are you blind?

Bloodwake said:
Month of Metroid? Free Wii channel download full of videos? Metroid and Super Metroid on VC?

Jesus Christ people don't fucking pay attention. Nintendo not hyping Metroid? Are you blind?
But this is Hype available only to people who already own a Wii
where's the hype to sell the game to non-Wii owners
Comercials,print mag advertisements, etc

Nintaiyo

Wow, I've known about the lack of hype, but it really just hit me. The lack of previews, screens, or any release of info is astounding, especially for a game like Metroid. I often go crazy watching vids, reading previews, etc and feel like the game lacks surprise because of it. That sure won't happen with this game.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
perfectchaos007 said:

Big Fucking Thread about that here. Let's not ruin another one.

Back on topic, the Walkthrough video on Gametrailer is quite excellent. Samus's reflection looks way better than in the cutscene for some wacky reason.

Nabs

This game is going to be so great. I'm playing through Prime 2 right now, and if I have enough time I'll finally complete the first one.

So will the game be in stores on the 28th?

Slavik81

I just hope it doesn't turn into a huge disappointment like Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime Hunters.

The trailers make it seem like it has potential... But I've been suckered into buying the last two Metroid Prime games based solely on the awesomeness of the first one.

Slavik81 said:
I just hope it doesn't turn into a huge disappointment like Metroid Prime 2.
Don't worry it looks like they took all that MP2 criticism too heart and fixed everything that was wrong with 2
no wasted resources in multiplayer
plus more variety in the worlds

Kuroyume

Banned
dslgunstar said:

I can't even tell what's going on in most of the screens. It's all just a bunch of shapes that make no sense.

Christine

Dark Ninja said:
But this is Hype available only to people who already own a Wii
where's the hype to sell the game to non-Wii owners
Comercials,print mag advertisements, etc

What r non-Wii owners going to do with Metroid Prime 3?

TwinIonEngines said:
What r non-Wii owners going to do with Metroid Prime 3?
I think poster means softcore gamers who don't surf/blog and people who might buy a Wii solely to play Metroid. Arguably these two groups are negligible- and would probably find out from gaming print media (reviews) word of mouth or a shop display.

Nabs said:
This game is going to be so great. I'm playing through Prime 2 right now, and if I have enough time I'll finally complete the first one.

So will the game be in stores on the 28th?
Yes, the ship dates are the ones listed in the OP. The game will be in stores Tuesday, August 28.

I don't want to get hyped too much, seeing that the PAL release is a couple of months away :(.

But Nintendo doesn't really need to hype this anyways. The market it appeals to is well informed about the game. Sure, more hype coming from Nintendo would be appreciable, esp. since it's such a great series. But I doubt it would boost sales much to warrant such an investment.

Lightning said:
There is a lack of hype because with this game there is nothing to be excited about.

I am still puzzled how it can possibly be compared to Brawl and Galaxy when the sale difference between those games and MP3 is going to be massive.

I will play the game, but it's not the type of game that will appeal to the mass market.
So you only get excited about games that appeal to the mass market? Strange, esp. considering the FF avatar and screen name.

Jax said:
lack of hype? This is like the 2nd or 3rd of these threads here.
Think of satire.

Now think of the Matt C thread.

Now think of satire again.

I'm trying to add a little satire to the thread title. And if you think about it, the reason for those threads is because people are worried it's not going to get any attention in the first place.

Christine

Fuzzy said:
I was hoping Dragona would've started this thread. :(

Haha. That sounds about as much fun as a face full of hydrochloric acid.

I was actually rooting for Sharp, myself.

Visualante said:
I think poster means softcore gamers who don't surf/blog and people who might buy a Wii solely to play Metroid. Arguably these two groups are negligible- and would probably find out from gaming print media (reviews) word of mouth or a shop display.

Yar, I don't think that MP3 is a title that could really sell Wiis even if such were possible right now.

TwinIonEngines said:
Yar, I don't think that MP3 is a title that could really sell Wiis even if such were possible right now.

Anything could sell a console if marketed correctly
Boogie could sell Wii's
BOOGIE!!

Haunted

Great job, Spinnington. Nintendo should just copy+paste this to the Metroid.com website. :lol

Just playing Prime 2 for the first time to get myself into the proper mood for this. Can't wait!

all aboard the Hype Train! *choo choo*

Top Bottom