• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Good list to work with.

We are only there Sunday -> Tuesday

My list is easily doable in three days. Great Notion (right next to a Pine St Biscuits and across from Salt and Straw ice cream) and ExNovo are near each other in NE Portland. Wayfinder, Commons and Hair of the Dog are within walking distance in SE Portland. Get a sandwich at the SE PDX Lardo. Upright is over by the Rose Garden or whatever they call the arena the Blazers play at now. Breakside's new Hop Lab space is over in NW Portland near the river.

Chris R

Definently going to hit up the 3 in SE Portland on Tuesday along with Burnside Skate Park.

Monday is kinda a lost day with the Eclipse, since we plan on hitting the coast after it to deal with as little traffic as possible. I'm sure we can find something on the coast north of Newport to do/visit outside of the Tillamook factory.

Might hit up the others on Sunday, but since our car pickup is in Vancouver we might do stuff in Washington and try to avoid the circus that will be Portland.

Anything around Hillsboro/Beaverton?

Definently going to hit up the 3 in SE Portland on Tuesday along with Burnside Skate Park.

Monday is kinda a lost day with the Eclipse, since we plan on hitting the coast after it to deal with as little traffic as possible. I'm sure we can find something on the coast north of Newport to do/visit outside of the Tillamook factory.

Might hit up the others on Sunday, but since our car pickup is in Vancouver we might do stuff in Washington and try to avoid the circus that will be Portland.

Anything around Hillsboro/Beaverton?

Not much around Hillsboro/Beaverton.

De Garde is in Tillamook (closed Mondays though) and Pelican has taproom there as well.

Another Bruery tasting tonight. My tastebuds are ready.

1. Goses Are Red 2017, 5.3 percent abv.
  2. Jurassic Gose 2016, 9.7 percent abv. (Chenin Blanc Grapes)
  3. Confession 2016, 9.4 percent abv.(Riesling Grapes)
  4. Bourgogne Blanc 2015, 11.1 percent abv (Chardonnay Grapes)
  5. Rue Sans 2016, 12.5 percent abv ( Roussanne Grapes)
  6. Souren 2015, 9.9 percent abv (Pinot Noir Grapes)
  7. Vindictive 2016, 14.9 percent abv (Black Tuesday with Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvédre Grapes)
  8. Chocolate Rain 2016, 19.7 percent abv.

Quite digging Rhinegeist Astro Dwarf IPA. Cheap for a six pack, and yummy. Also that sweet 6% abv to help make kitchen work and cleaning go quicker without messing you up.

Mitch

Banned
Astro Dwarf is stellar. Tried it at the brewery a few weeks ago. Loved it.

My girlfriend has already picked up 2 6-packs since then.

Rhinegeist really doesn't do much for me. House of 1000 pale ales. They know how to market the shit out of their stuff though (makes complete sense given their background). Won't be the least bit surprised when/if they sell out.

HiResDes

Rhinegeist really doesn't do much for me. House of 1000 pale ales. They know how to market the shit out of their stuff though (makes complete sense given their background). Won't be the least bit surprised when/if they sell out.

So fucking spot on. I'd rather have Blank Slate, they don't have a high success rate but at least they try some different shit.

Rhinegeist has just been meh mostly to me. If I get anything from them, it is usually if it is the only appealing thing on tap somewhere that isn't Bud, Miller, or Sam Adams. But Astro Dwarf was quite a change of pace from their other stuff in my opinion, as limited as my exposure to them is. If they made this regularly, I might get it frequently.

But, finishing the night having Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Bourbon Maple Syrup Barrel Aged. Jesus. You get the sweet sugar rush of Maple Jesus but also the subtle bourbon flavors mixed in. Really damn good.

ShinAmano

Finally got a chance to slay a few whales.

Assassin 16 - this was a let down. Thin no barrel and overall forgettable.

Rare 10 - I have had this before and it is always a treat. Just a fantastic brew all around.

BA Abraxas 17 - this was a really tasty beer, right amount of spice and great mouthfeel...could have used more barrel.

BA German Chocolate Cupcake 17 - sweet and tasty as the name implies. Very good not mind melting.

BA Inigo Montoya - (mat not be a whale in your book) this was a great porter and held its own with the stouts.

Bourbon Vanilla Dark Lord 16 (Handjee) - this beer lives up to the hype...by a large margin the best beer I have ever had. Incredible how such an average to poor base can become something this magnificent.

Picked up a couple of Founders beers I haven't seen before down here. Green Zebra, a gose which sounds similar to Dogfish Head's sea salt gose. And DKML, a bourbon BA malt liquor.

c45.jpg

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I stopped by Other Half in Brooklyn on Saturday. The line for cans wrapped around the block, but luckily their new expanded tap room had just opened. It was crowded, but not unbearable. I had a couple of friends with me so we would all order different things and share. Think overall I tried 16 beers and I don't think there was a single bad beer among them. Their bread and butter seems to be IPAs, but they had some great stouts, lagers, saison, and even a grand cru.

Think my favorite beer of the day was Green Power. Just an amazing IPA. If I had to compare it to anything, maybe similar in flavor profile to Haze from Tree House.

After we finished up at OH, we went over to Three's Brewing. Based on what I had read online, I was expecting a lot more from their beer. I really wasn't impressed at all. After that we headed over to Interboro, which had some pretty decent beer. While we were in the area we also hit up Kings Country Brewing, which I thought was great. I think a wild ale, called Opposing Forces, was my favorite. After dinner we ended the night at LIC Beer Project. At that point I was largely done with drinking for the day, but they had some great live music going.

I gotta admit, this DKML grows on you. 14% heyyyyy

I really like DKML. For me, it comes across as a Backwoods "light." Not in the sense of alcohol, but less malt forward, a bit sweeter from the corn, but a very similar barrel character. I now put it along with Backwoods as betters beers than KBS ***CONTROVERSIAL OPINION!*** haha

On another note. I just had a bottle of '15 Xocoveza and wow does this beer cellar nicely. Great spice/roast balance and was so dry to begin with that any oxidation just adds complexity.

KBS is still good, but has been disappointing these last two years. Way too coffee forward, and getting almost none of the bourbon flavor. I will still get a bottle or two each year though, just out of habit.

As for now, having White Monkey by Victory. Been a few years since they last did this, and it is still yummy. Taking a solid Tripel and adding the sweetness of white wine to it is a great combination. I also forgot how deceptive tripels are with masking their higher ABV with that sweet and spicy taste.

KBS is still good, but has been disappointing these last two years. Way too coffee forward, and getting almost none of the bourbon flavor. I will still get a bottle or two each year though, just out of habit.

As for now, having White Monkey by Victory. Been a few years since they last did this, and it is still yummy. Taking a solid Tripel and adding the sweetness of white wine to it is a great combination. I also forgot how deceptive tripels are with masking their higher ABV with that sweet and spicy taste.
I agree with the wine/Belgian beer combo. Guy in my brew club makes an 11% Golden Strong on Chardonnay soaked oak that drinks like it's 5%. It's such a nice combo when properly balanced.

A quad masks the ABV decently, but it tastes so much better going slow. I go into a quad knowing I am going to take my sweet damn time with the thing. But man, those tripels are downright evil. So sweet and crisp, with just a bit of bite from the spice. And then you feel that 9+% ABV kick in and you wonder where the hell it came from.
It is one of the things I both love and hate about good tripels.

HiResDes

KBS virtually underrated now because of people shitting on it. I will say shelfies like Tweak and Big Bad Baptist are superior to me though. My absolute favorite Stout right now is the Coffee Bourbon Oil of Aphrodite Jackie O released just traded all my BA Oro to get more lol.

I need to get Tweak again. Place around here still has some old bottles around. It is just so pricey for one bottle.

Speaking of Avery, have Nuttiest Professor sitting in the fridge since last week. Might crack it open Thursday night.

riotous

Banned
Nuttiest Professor is amazing, as is Tweak. Can still find 2014 Tweak around here and it ages amazingly well for a coffee beer.

HiResDes

I need to get Tweak again. Place around here still has some old bottles around. It is just so pricey for one bottle.

Speaking of Avery, have Nuttiest Professor sitting in the fridge since last week. Might crack it open Thursday night.
Really liked it, got one left i might sit on for a while to see how much the peanut does or doesn't fade.

Chris R

Not much around Hillsboro/Beaverton.

De Garde is in Tillamook (closed Mondays though) and Pelican has taproom there as well.

Ended up hitting Pelican after the Eclipse.

Hit Hair of the Dog and Wayfinder, having a cold meaning I was limited to just a few samplers :(

Had Commons from a local store on Sunday night though.

Tried Mikkeller's Windy Hill NE-style IPA tonight. Wasn't impressed. Very malt-forward, which didn't mesh that well with the tropical fruit vibe. Maybe the worst of the hazy IPAs I've had, whic is kind of surprising since Mikkeller's stuff is always pretty solid.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Tried Mikkeller's Windy Hill NE-style IPA tonight. Wasn't impressed. Very malt-forward, which didn't mesh that well with the tropical fruit vibe. Maybe the worst of the hazy IPAs I've had, whic is kind of surprising since Mikkeller's stuff is always pretty solid.

I've never been wild about Mikkellers pale ales in general, they're good but not amazing at best. (Although they made one of the few black IPAs I've ever liked)

Now their berliners/sours and stouts on the other hand are magic.

andylsun

First harvest. Will pick more tonight and tomorrow. Ended up renting a ladder from Home Depot. Going to try the pully system next year.

Yes I realize that's only going to be just about 1oz when dried.

EUAwST2l.jpg

andylsun

Finished the cascade.

300g of wet hops, so probably about 60g when dry so just over 2oz.

Not bad for a year 2 plant I think. All organic compost and fertilizer.

xero70Ml.jpg

Having Evil Twin/Omnipollo Pink Leomonade IPA. Yup. Tastes like pink lemonade, but the bitterness of the IPA helping to undercut a bit of the sour and sweet. Very refreshing.

Edit: On my second one. This is a dangerous one. So sweet I can't tell it is 7%.

Robiin

I hadn't really tried belgium beers, except for Hoegaarden.

Now I just had my first tripel, liked it and had two more bottles. Holy shit it was so sweet and easily drinkable, but the 9% really came hard. It's only 7:30 and I'm buzzed. Fuck, I had purchased so many bottles of different stuff for tonight but now I feel like I'm falling asleep...

Top Bottom