• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Dominican Power
Member
(04-30-2017, 09:54 PM)
Dominican Power's Avatar
Boku no Hero and Mob Psycho needs to be on Toonami asap
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(04-30-2017, 09:55 PM)
Man God's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dominican Power

Boku no Hero and Mob Psycho needs to be on Toonami asap

I'd be willing to bet we get Mob before the end of the year.
cntr
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:00 PM)
cntr's Avatar
Mob and Lupin are pretty much guaranteed.

MHA's pretty likely, though to be honest, I'm not super excited about it. I love the manga, and I'm really not into how they're adapting it.
Regiruler
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:00 PM)
Regiruler's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dominican Power

Boku no Hero and Mob Psycho needs to be on Toonami asap

That's not the third word I expected to read.
cntr
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:02 PM)
cntr's Avatar
also I will never understand how "Boku no Hero Academia" ever caught on and continues to be used when the words "My Hero Academia" are literally written in English in the logo
caliph95
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:02 PM)
caliph95's Avatar

Originally Posted by Regiruler

That's not the third word I expected to read.

I don't know certain male characters are getting really close let's ask D T L

Originally Posted by cntr

also I will never understand how "Boku no Hero Academia" ever caught on and continues to be used when the words "My Hero Academia" are literally written in English in the logo

weebs?
Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(04-30-2017, 10:04 PM)
Zonic's Avatar

Originally Posted by cntr

also I will never understand how "Boku no Hero Academia" ever caught on and continues to be used when the words "My Hero Academia" are literally written in English in the logo

Not to mention it's easier/quicker to just type "my" instead of "boku no".

I get wanting to use the Japanese name for Japanese shows, but come on, in this case, you're literally swapping out the japanese word for "my" & that's it.
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(04-30-2017, 10:07 PM)
Man God's Avatar
Bring Wan Pisu back to TOONAMI.
Imperial Bishop
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:08 PM)

Originally Posted by cntr

also I will never understand how "Boku no Hero Academia" ever caught on and continues to be used when the words "My Hero Academia" are literally written in English in the logo

The only people I see using that are people who primarily read scanlations.
caliph95
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:09 PM)
caliph95's Avatar

Originally Posted by Imperial Bishop

The only people I see using that are people who primarily read scanlations.

Even the manga thread doesn't or i never noticed
Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(04-30-2017, 10:14 PM)
Zonic's Avatar
Actually, this does bring up an interesting question.

How do you decide to refer to a series by its Japanese or English name? Like, for some reason, I stick with "Shokugeki no Soma" instead of "Food Wars", which is honestly much easier & quicker to type, but I don't use it for some reason. Maybe because it took so long for it to be localized & by now, that's the name I'm used to & Food Wars makes it sound like a Food Network series.
cntr
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:15 PM)
cntr's Avatar
in general there's a tendency with anime fans not to use the official English names even when they're equivalent or more memorable

like e.g., people constantly use "Kekkai Sensen", which doesn't really mean anything to me and are just two Japanese words, but if you use the official English name instead, Blood Blockade Battlefront, that's memorable, cool, and actually interesting.
Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(04-30-2017, 10:20 PM)
Zonic's Avatar
B3 sounds better in my opinion. "Kekkai Sensen" sounds rather generic where as Blood Blockade Battlefront makes me want to know what it is & has a cool tone to it.

Meanwhile, I'll just say "Shimoneta" instead of its super long title of "A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist" or whatever the full Japanese name is because daaamn I don't want to type/ that every single time I'm talking about it.

I guess I just go by "what did I hear/see first" &/or "what's the better sounding/more memorable title."
caliph95
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:22 PM)
caliph95's Avatar
Pretty much always use English titles except for stuff like Kekkai Sensen because i'm lazy

Originally Posted by Zonic


I guess I just go by "what did I hear/see first" &/or "what's the better sounding/more memorable title."

Moaradin
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:26 PM)
Moaradin's Avatar
I always say Kekkai Sensen because it's easier to say and remember. Blood Blockade Battlefront is too much of a mouthful.
Ray Down
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Man God

Bring Wan Pisu back to TOONAMI.

Yes bring back the Wan Pisu
Mizerman
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:27 PM)
Mizerman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moaradin

I always say Kekkai Sensen because it's easier to say and remember. Blood Blockade Battlefront is too much of a mouthful.

That name sounds like a really difficult level in an action game.
cntr
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:27 PM)
cntr's Avatar
It's mostly habit, but it depends on how the English name sounds. Names like My Hero Academia are literal equivalents to the Japanese name, so that choice should be obvious. Kekkai Sensen and Blood Blockade Battlefront also roughly mean the same thing, but one's a lot more meaningful in English.

Names like Food Wars are fine, but it reminds me Fighting Foodons or yeah, a Food Network series. Not a bad thing, but not really what the series is about.

Series like Shimoneta where the English name is ridiculously long and hard to abbreviate, yeah, definitely weeb. Similar logic for series like Dungeon Meshi, where the official title is the Engrish-y "Delicious in Dungeon", (And they totally missed the chance to call it Dungeon and Diners!). Attack on Titan is an exception, probably because it sounds cooler.

Fake edit: It's totally worth typing out Blood Blockade Battlefront because yo what a cool cheesy name. (...or call it B3, and you can call the next season B4.)
Ray Down
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:28 PM)
Blood Blockade Battlefront is kind of a dumb name.
Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(04-30-2017, 10:28 PM)
Zonic's Avatar
Bloodline Battlefront is actually a decent name in itself, I wonder why Funimation altered it slightly.

Originally Posted by Mizerman

That name sounds like a really difficult level in an action game.

It's the final level of a Ninja Gaiden or Platinum game.
Imperial Bishop
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:29 PM)
I can kinda understand why a lot of folks use "Shingeki no Kyojin" instead of "Attack on Titan" because....lol that's such an Engrish official title.

Originally Posted by caliph95

Even the manga thread doesn't or i never noticed

Hmm. The plot thickens.
caliph95
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:30 PM)
caliph95's Avatar
cntr
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:30 PM)
cntr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ray Down

Blood Blockade Battlefront is kind of a dumb name.

That's why it's great.

Originally Posted by Zonic

Bloodline Battlefront is actually a decent name in itself, I wonder why Funimation altered it slightly.

I think it was the English title from the very beginning, since the Trigun guy made it and he's an English-speaking westaboo. Also alliteration.

Originally Posted by caliph95

Even the manga thread doesn't or i never noticed

The manga thread used to use it (and was even titled "Boku no Hero Academia |OT|" for a while), but we talked about it and decided to use the English name pretty early on.
Imperial Bishop
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Ray Down

Blood Blockade Battlefront is kind of a dumb name.

But BBB or B^3 is cool asf.
Moaradin
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:32 PM)
Moaradin's Avatar
I mostly always say the English names, since they are usually just straight translations and I never got the point of saying the Japanese names in those situations.

The main exception is "Shokugeki no Soma" over "Food Wars" since that's a dumb name.
Sibersk Esto
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:32 PM)
Some names just hit the ear better. I don't think I've heard anyone say 'Shingeki no Kyojin' over 'Attack on Titan'
caliph95
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:32 PM)
caliph95's Avatar
Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(04-30-2017, 10:33 PM)
Zonic's Avatar
Yeah, Shingeki no Kyojin is one of those "bah, that's a mess to type out, I'd rather just say the name more people are familiar with"

.....actually, I guess that's another factor, what's the name more people are familiar with.
Moaradin
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:34 PM)
Moaradin's Avatar
I will never understand why we never got Kekkai Sensen on Toonami tbh. It's the perfect type of show for the block. Super stylish with fun characters and amazing music.
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(04-30-2017, 10:35 PM)
Man God's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moaradin

I will never understand why we never got Kekkai Sensen on Toonami tbh. It's the perfect type of show for the block. Super stylish with fun characters and amazing music.

We just got Tokyo Ghoul.
cntr
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:35 PM)
cntr's Avatar
I could still see them getting B3 when they have some breathing room for new shows. The second season's coming up soon, no?
Imperial Bishop
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto

Some names just hit the ear better. I don't think I've heard anyone say 'Shingeki no Kyojin' over 'Attack on Titan'

I've mostly seen some fans on forums and comments use it.

Or "SnK", which confuses the hell out of me because then I think about a certain video game company. lol
caliph95
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:36 PM)
caliph95's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moaradin

I will never understand why we never got Kekkai Sensen on Toonami tbh. It's the perfect type of show for the block. Super stylish with fun characters and amazing music.

Wait it wasn't i assumed it was because it's the perfect toonami show and was made for western audience like space dandy
Crimson_Echidna
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:37 PM)

Originally Posted by cntr

also I will never understand how "Boku no Hero Academia" ever caught on and continues to be used when the words "My Hero Academia" are literally written in English in the logo

Same reason people continue to say Shokugeki no Souma instead of Food Wars. :P
cntr
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:39 PM)
cntr's Avatar
Attack on Titan is stupid but it's more memorable and easier to type than Shingeki no Kyojin. And Advancing Titan would've just been boring.

...I wonder what they could've called it that's memorable but not stupid?

Originally Posted by Crimson_Echidna

Same reason people continue to say Shokugeki no Souma instead of Food Wars. :P

That's sort of understandable because Food Wars sounds dumb.

But "Boku no" literally just means "My", and it's not that tonally different from the actual name that it's worth using.
Imperial Bishop
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:42 PM)
Technically, Viz tried to have it both ways and went with "Food Wars: Shokugeki no Souma'.
Mizerman
Member
(04-30-2017, 10:43 PM)
Mizerman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zonic

It's the final level of a Ninja Gaiden or Platinum game.

Consisting of nothing but fighting bosses from beginning, middle and end.
cntr
Banned
(04-30-2017, 10:46 PM)
cntr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zonic

It's the final level of a Ninja Gaiden or Platinum game.

Makes me think more of shmups and throne-likes.
Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(04-30-2017, 10:48 PM)
Zonic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Imperial Bishop

Technically, Viz tried to have it both ways and went with "Food Wars: Shokugeki no Souma'.

I've got nothing wrong with that as long as the layout/logo can make it work.

Originally Posted by cntr

Makes me think more of shmups and throne-likes.

Final stage in a Cave shmup!
Zubz
Banned
(04-30-2017, 11:12 PM)
Man, this is the thread that's going to see the end of Samurai Jack. That's pretty nuts.
Hellwarden
Member
(04-30-2017, 11:16 PM)
Hellwarden's Avatar
Blood Blockade Battlefront should be on Toonami.

Good show.
Crimson_Echidna
Banned
(04-30-2017, 11:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Hellwarden

Blood Blockade Battlefront should be on Toonami.

Good show.

+1

Legit earworm ending theme as well.
Sibersk Esto
Banned
(04-30-2017, 11:20 PM)
I remember seeing B3's first episode but not the rest. Not due to anything quality-wise, my roommate just had it on one day.
Man God
Non-Canon Member
(04-30-2017, 11:21 PM)
Man God's Avatar
Did you say Hamon Overdrive?
Moaradin
Member
(04-30-2017, 11:24 PM)
Moaradin's Avatar
This ED still hasn't been topped

Still hum it from time to time.
Hellwarden
Member
(04-30-2017, 11:24 PM)
Hellwarden's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crimson_Echidna

+1

Legit earworm ending theme as well.

The opening is no slouch either.
8 X 11 Printer Paper
Member
(04-30-2017, 11:25 PM)
8 X 11 Printer Paper's Avatar
B3's as an adaption is a clusterfuck.
"Kekkai Sensen adapts a select 12 chapters from the first 6 volumes of the manga it is based on while adding a new plotline and characters, culminating in an anime-exclusive ending. Aside from the first episode which adapts the three-chapter pilot, each episode adapts one chapter. "

All I can ask is why would you jump around the source material like a crazy person and try to make it anime exclusive story. You can do one or the other, but combining them makes no damn sense. If nothing else it should interesting to see how the hell they try to pull it together for the 2nd season this Fall.
cntr
Banned
(04-30-2017, 11:26 PM)
cntr's Avatar
The OST sold me on the series.
Ray Down
Banned
(04-30-2017, 11:27 PM)

Originally Posted by 8 X 11 Printer Paper

B3's as an adaption is a clusterfuck.
"Kekkai Sensen adapts a select 12 chapters from the first 6 volumes of the manga it is based on while adding a new plotline and characters, culminating in an anime-exclusive ending. Aside from the first episode which adapts the three-chapter pilot, each episode adapts one chapter. "

All I can ask is why would you jump around the source material like a crazy person and try to make it anime exclusive story. You can do one or the other, but combining them makes no damn sense. If nothing else it should interesting to see how the hell they try to pull it together for the 2nd season this Fall.

Sounds like Bones being Bones.
Moaradin
Member
(04-30-2017, 11:29 PM)
Moaradin's Avatar

Originally Posted by 8 X 11 Printer Paper

B3's as an adaption is a clusterfuck.
"Kekkai Sensen adapts a select 12 chapters from the first 6 volumes of the manga it is based on while adding a new plotline and characters, culminating in an anime-exclusive ending. Aside from the first episode which adapts the three-chapter pilot, each episode adapts one chapter. "

All I can ask is why would you jump around the source material like a crazy person and try to make it anime exclusive story. You can do one or the other, but combining them makes no damn sense. If nothing else it should interesting to see how the hell they try to pull it together for the 2nd season this Fall.

Not sure why that makes it a clusterfuck. It's an adaption. It isn't trying to slavishly stick to the manga material, especially since the manga is extremely episodic to begin with.

The anime does a really good job integrating the anime original story and characters, and giving it an actual narrative throughline.

Thread Tools