• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

LeleSocho
Member
(05-19-2017, 03:40 PM)
LeleSocho's Avatar
If that's the camera then i guess they'll go with the piezoelectric actuator for sound... wonder if it will sound better than the Mi Mix or not.
Bboy AJ
Banned
(05-19-2017, 04:34 PM)
Bboy AJ's Avatar
Once you activate a Google Fi sim with a supported phone, you can use that activated sim on every phone that has any Fi bands. It's awesome.
Mr.Shrugglesツ
Banned
(05-19-2017, 04:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ

Once you activate a Google Fi sim with a supported phone, you can use that activated sim on every phone that has any Fi bands. It's awesome.

so... a sim card?
Jeffrey
Member
(05-19-2017, 06:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ

Once you activate a Google Fi sim with a supported phone, you can use that activated sim on every phone that has any Fi bands. It's awesome.

I'm curious how it will be in China. I know project fi on a Google phone has built in vpn so you can use Google services in China.

Think I'll just find a cheap nexus 5x and use for Hotspot.
IronRaven
Member
(05-19-2017, 10:09 PM)
IronRaven's Avatar
My Google Assistant got the update for keyboard input.
Paradise Brunch
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:10 PM)
Paradise Brunch's Avatar
Meanwhile since updated to O, Google Assistant keep crashing on my Nexus 5x...Anyone with 5x has the same problem?
Ty4on
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:33 PM)
Ty4on's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jazzy Network

Wheres the front camera?

Maybe that's not the earpiece...
Jeffrey
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:24 AM)
If I was to get a used 2015 nexus for project fi use for travel, which to get?

6p dies at like 50%. 5x boot loops.
Baroquemantic
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:30 AM)
Baroquemantic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

If I was to get a used 2015 nexus for project fi use for travel, which to get?

6p dies at like 50%. 5x boot loops.

Nexus 6 instead, maybe?
Bboy AJ
Banned
(05-20-2017, 12:31 AM)
Bboy AJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

I'm curious how it will be in China. I know project fi on a Google phone has built in vpn so you can use Google services in China.

Think I'll just find a cheap nexus 5x and use for Hotspot.

I've used it in China and yeah, you don't need a VPN. It's fantastic.
Jeffrey
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ

I've used it in China and yeah, you don't need a VPN. It's fantastic.

Cool. I'll snag a used nexus. Swap in a oneplus 5.

Take some dx0 100 pics.
Mindwipe
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:52 AM)
Mindwipe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ

Apple iPhone cameras will soon give us DSLR quality with dual lenses, software to process the data, and a baller processor to push it all in a heartbeat.

I've said it a million times and you keep decrying me like you decried my predictions of death of aux. Come at me.

You are aware that this is literally impossible, physics wise, yes?
IronRaven
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:24 AM)
IronRaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mindwipe

You are aware that this is literally impossible, physics wise, yes?

If AJ said so, it must come true. That is the way of AndroidGAF.
Prototype Viktor
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:10 AM)
Prototype Viktor's Avatar
That 170420.19 update that was 44.6mb yesterday is 1GB today. Downloading it now to see if it also fails


https://9to5google.com/2017/05/18/an...-update-fixes/

It fixed Android Pay for some but not all with the update
Last edited by Prototype Viktor; 05-20-2017 at 02:28 AM.
BahamutPT
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:40 AM)
BahamutPT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Prototype Viktor

That 170420.19 update that was 44.6mb yesterday is 1GB today. Downloading it now to see if it also fails


https://9to5google.com/2017/05/18/an...-update-fixes/

It fixed Android Pay for some but not all with the update

In regard to what the article says about the build number, my 6P showed the DP2 build number and still failed this morning's update.

But the new one has just installed without a single hiccup!

At the moment, my only issue is that, after an app update, the Google Photos icon changed to a circle with a Bugdroid inside instead of the correct icon.
Jeffrey
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:00 AM)
Man are 5x expensive. I'm not paying $200 for bootloops. Probably can get a g6 for that price in a month anyways.
Bboy AJ
Banned
(05-20-2017, 03:27 AM)
Bboy AJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mindwipe

You are aware that this is literally impossible, physics wise, yes?

November 2013. Apple bought a 3D sensor company for $360M. Probably one of their highest priced acquisitions ever. They did Kinect.

Search my posts talking about two camera lenses. One to put everything in focus with a huge depth of field and the other to map the actual distance of what's in front of the camera. Mix em together and we've got Portrait mode. It took Apple almost four years to implement the Kinect guys, ages in Apple acquisitions. It'll keep getting better. DSLR better. Apple is the best camera company today. Dual tone flash was unheard of without thousands of dollars in equipment for pro photographers and Apple just came in and did it.

I'll wait for the revisionist history like those who said aux jacks would go nowhere. Today, it's I called something so obvious. Whatever.
Prototype Viktor
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:45 AM)
Prototype Viktor's Avatar

Originally Posted by BahamutPT

In regard to what the article says about the build number, my 6P showed the DP2 build number and still failed this morning's update.

But the new one has just installed without a single hiccup!

At the moment, my only issue is that, after an app update, the Google Photos icon changed to a circle with a Bugdroid inside instead of the correct icon.

I think i Google Photos will get a new icon as it's a generic icon atm for me as well
Jeffrey
Member
(05-20-2017, 06:31 AM)
https://twitter.com/rquandt/status/865724467175202817

Moto z2 play has 2820 mah battery. Lmao.
Groof
Junior Member
(05-20-2017, 06:47 AM)
Groof's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

https://twitter.com/rquandt/status/865724467175202817

Moto z2 play has 2820 mah battery. Lmao.

Mr.Shrugglesツ
Banned
(05-20-2017, 06:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

https://twitter.com/rquandt/status/865724467175202817

Moto z2 play has 2820 mah battery. Lmao.

Can't you just get a battery addon?

Much ado about nothing.
Noema
Member
(05-20-2017, 08:35 AM)
Noema's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr.Shrugglesツ

Can't you just get a battery addon?

Much ado about nothing.

The whole point of the play line was getting a midrange phone with a gargantuan battery. Both the X Play and the Z Play had 3600maH batteries. There's really no point in getting this over the cheaper G5P.
DrFunk
not licensed in your state
(05-20-2017, 01:29 PM)
DrFunk's Avatar
Why is the Moto Z still $699

King Gilga
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:33 PM)
King Gilga's Avatar
What's a good alarm app that lets plays a random song from a folder you specify or just a random song in general?

I feel like my default oneplus one clock app used to do this but since I factory reset it the option seems to have disappeared to so I guess I need alternatives, all the ones I've tried either only let you chose one song, or make you make a playlist which would be effort since I delete and add songs to my phone all the time.
Last edited by King Gilga; 05-20-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Mr.Shrugglesツ
Banned
(05-20-2017, 01:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Noema

The whole point of the play line was getting a midrange phone with a gargantuan battery. Both the X Play and the Z Play had 3600maH batteries. There's really no point in getting this over the cheaper G5P.

I thought the play line was about getting unfettered android?
Ty4on
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:31 PM)
Ty4on's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ

November 2013. Apple bought a 3D sensor company for $360M. Probably one of their highest priced acquisitions ever. They did Kinect.

Search my posts talking about two camera lenses. One to put everything in focus with a huge depth of field and the other to map the actual distance of what's in front of the camera. Mix em together and we've got Portrait mode. It took Apple almost four years to implement the Kinect guys, ages in Apple acquisitions. It'll keep getting better. DSLR better. Apple is the best camera company today. Dual tone flash was unheard of without thousands of dollars in equipment for pro photographers and Apple just came in and did it.

I'll wait for the revisionist history like those who said aux jacks would go nowhere. Today, it's I called something so obvious. Whatever.

😐😐😐
yagal
Member
(05-20-2017, 10:54 PM)
yagal's Avatar
I have a Oneplus 3t since yesterday for 350 the phone looks like new and I will sell my Sammy A5 2016 to my buddy for 180, so
I like : - The thing is fast, the charge is fast, the fingerprint sensor is very very fast
- The OS is android
- The 3.5 jack is solid
But : I'm not convince by the camera

I will buy a case and stick with this phone and see what the future have to offer because between the Oneplus 5 not having a 3.5 jack , no quad DAC on the LG in Europe and no V serie, dat fingerprint sensor location on the S8 and the fact that I can't have album's cover on the lockscreen, Sony's BEZELS... I don't know what will come next for me maybe a Nokia at this point :)
Jeffrey
Member
(05-20-2017, 11:07 PM)

Originally Posted by yagal

I have a Oneplus 3t since yesterday for 350 the phone looks like new and I will sell my Sammy A5 2016 to my buddy for 180, so
I like : - The thing is fast, the charge is fast, the fingerprint sensor is very very fast
- The OS is android
- The 3.5 jack is solid
But : I'm not convince by the camera

I will buy a case and stick with this phone and see what the future have to offer because between the Oneplus 5 not having a 3.5 jack , no quad DAC on the LG in Europe and no V serie, dat fingerprint sensor location on the S8 and the fact that I can't have album's cover on the lockscreen, Sony's BEZELS... I don't know what will come next for me maybe a Nokia at this point :)

Don't count op5 out yet on headphone jack. All we seen are a bunch of early prototypes xD

Best wait for official stuff.

The new Nokia flagship looks promising based off leaks, might wait for that.
Jeffrey
Member
(05-20-2017, 11:45 PM)
Speaking of which. Nokia 9 leaks.

http://www.frandroid.com/marques/nok...racteristiques

Seems standard 2017 flagship specs. Hopefully it's still near stock like the other Nokia stuff.

It's all about the camera though.
Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
(05-21-2017, 12:29 AM)
Vanillalite's Avatar
Will be interesting to see how Summer plays out.

If you're anywhere close to $700 it's basically Galaxy S8 or maybe Pixel.

Once OP and Axon release their new phones it should squeeze from th bottom.

The question is how will everyone else fair, and how low will everyone else go.
WhiskerFrisker
Member
(05-21-2017, 12:33 AM)
WhiskerFrisker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vanillalite

Will be interesting to see how Summer plays out.

If you're anywhere close to $700 it's basically Galaxy S8 or maybe Pixel.

Once OP and Axon release their new phones it should squeeze from th bottom.

The question is how will everyone else fair, and how low will everyone else go.

iPhone or bust.

Yeah, I know it's on the fall.
Jeffrey
Member
(05-21-2017, 12:39 AM)

Originally Posted by WhiskerFrisker

iPhone or bust.

Yeah, I know it's on the fall.

Or 2018 lol.
Baroquemantic
Member
(05-21-2017, 01:15 AM)
Baroquemantic's Avatar
I'm​ curious to see if Nokia will be timely with the updates on the 9.
Quasar
Member
(05-21-2017, 01:25 AM)
Quasar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ

It'll keep getting better. DSLR better. Apple is the best camera company today. Dual tone flash was unheard of without thousands of dollars in equipment for pro photographers and Apple just came in and did it.

Though I guess that depends on what you mean by DSLR better. I struggle to see a future phone camera that's as good as a proper camera with a 300mm lens. Maybe it will be the case for portrait photography.
Quasar
Member
(05-21-2017, 01:29 AM)
Quasar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Groof

why are you saying this like MILCs are on some point and shoot tier?

I wasn't, just that they are a lower price (and size normally) tier than full frame DSLRs and such.
Last edited by Quasar; 05-21-2017 at 02:39 AM.
Mindwipe
Member
(05-21-2017, 05:55 AM)
Mindwipe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ

November 2013. Apple bought a 3D sensor company for $360M. Probably one of their highest priced acquisitions ever. They did Kinect.

Search my posts talking about two camera lenses. One to put everything in focus with a huge depth of field and the other to map the actual distance of what's in front of the camera. Mix em together and we've got Portrait mode. It took Apple almost four years to implement the Kinect guys, ages in Apple acquisitions. It'll keep getting better. DSLR better. Apple is the best camera company today. Dual tone flash was unheard of without thousands of dollars in equipment for pro photographers and Apple just came in and did it.

I'll wait for the revisionist history like those who said aux jacks would go nowhere. Today, it's I called something so obvious. Whatever.

Again, you cannot break physics. There are only so many photons fit through the gate, and only so much focal area.

Nobody is saying that camera phones will not get better. They will. They will not get better than DSLRs, unless we find some fundamentally new imagining technology that doesn't rely on lenses and sensors, and that isn't going to happen in the next fifty years.
Jeffrey
Member
(05-21-2017, 06:40 AM)
I'm getting the craving again.


help.

Having only 1 phone atm is awful! Especially when its touchlagwiz.


damn it when is oneplus Dx0 phone coming out.


(and no i'm not gonna buy the squeeze phone. not that desperate).
BoboBrazil
Member
(05-21-2017, 07:17 AM)
BoboBrazil's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Don't count op5 out yet on headphone jack. All we seen are a bunch of early prototypes xD

Best wait for official stuff.

The new Nokia flagship looks promising based off leaks, might wait for that.

OnePlus 5 has a headphone jack on top of the phone.
Bboy AJ
Banned
(05-21-2017, 07:25 AM)
Bboy AJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mindwipe

Again, you cannot break physics. There are only so many photons fit through the gate, and only so much focal area.

Nobody is saying that camera phones will not get better. They will. They will not get better than DSLRs, unless we find some fundamentally new imagining technology that doesn't rely on lenses and sensors, and that isn't going to happen in the next fifty years.

Whatcha ya gonna do, brother, when the 24" pythons and Hulkamania run wild on you!?
sweetvar26
Member
(05-21-2017, 08:10 AM)
sweetvar26's Avatar

Originally Posted by Baroquemantic

I'm​ curious to see if Nokia will be timely with the updates on the 9.

If they can crack the under 90 days, that will put them ahead of majority of the OEM's out there. I really hope every manufacturer can bring these waiting times down.

Worst is Samsung, with how much volumes they sell, even their flagships take 4-5 months at the least.
wilflare
Member
(05-21-2017, 08:50 AM)
wilflare's Avatar
forgot to post here instead.
anyone else tried Android O?

I'm increasingly tempted to just switch to the Apple ecosystem (can't believe I'm saying this)
Groof
Junior Member
(05-21-2017, 08:57 AM)
Groof's Avatar

Originally Posted by wilflare

forgot to post here instead.
anyone else tried Android O?

I'm increasingly tempted to just switch to the Apple ecosystem (can't believe I'm saying this)

got it on my 6p. it's p janky but i cant be assed to roll back.
CS_Dan
Member
(05-21-2017, 10:16 AM)
CS_Dan's Avatar
Had to drop cash for a OnePlus 3t. It pained me with the 5 so close, but I'm off to Thailand in 2 weeks and my 6P is being a complete arsehole.

Kinda hoping it doesn't have a headphone jack to make me feel better.
yagal
Member
(05-21-2017, 02:24 PM)
yagal's Avatar

Originally Posted by BoboBrazil

OnePlus 5 has a headphone jack on top of the phone.

Sauce? Pics?
Jeffrey
Member
(05-21-2017, 02:35 PM)
Anyone wants to sell me their old 6p for $200. I'm game.
BeforeU
Banned
(05-21-2017, 02:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

I'm getting the craving again.


help.

Having only 1 phone atm is awful! Especially when its touchlagwiz.


damn it when is oneplus Dx0 phone coming out.


(and no i'm not gonna buy the squeeze phone. not that desperate).

Which phone you got?
IronRaven
Member
(05-21-2017, 05:15 PM)
IronRaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by yagal

Sauce? Pics?

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/0...nds-on-images/

Take these pics and renders with a massive amount of salt. No headphone jack on the bottom, but it's very possible that OnePlus simply moved it to the top.
Jeffrey
Member
(05-21-2017, 05:36 PM)

Originally Posted by BeforeU

Which phone you got?

S8+
Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
(05-21-2017, 08:34 PM)
Vanillalite's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jeffrey

I'm getting the craving again.


help.

Having only 1 phone atm is awful! Especially when its touchlagwiz.


damn it when is oneplus Dx0 phone coming out.


(and no i'm not gonna buy the squeeze phone. not that desperate).

I'm not saying it's perfect, but man if you guys think the S8 is touchwiz lag idk wtf you thought of phones like the GS4.
Hasney
Member
(05-21-2017, 08:36 PM)
Hasney's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vanillalite

I'm not saying it's perfect, but man if you guys think the S8 is touchwiz lag idk wtf you thought of phones like the GS4.

Yeah, the lag on the S8 is barely there with Bixby off and Nova installed. As snappy as my 6P.

GS4 though... Jesus. That's been my only "I've made a huge mistake" phone ever.

Thread Tools