• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Arts & Farts : Page 4
Barbacoatl
Banned
(09-06-2008, 10:43 AM)
Barbacoatl's Avatar
Likin' what I see ITT.

Some late night fart from while ago.
-

-
OchreHand
Member
(09-09-2008, 02:10 AM)
OchreHand's Avatar
Wanted to do something serene this time

OchreHand
Member
(09-09-2008, 02:11 AM)
OchreHand's Avatar

Originally Posted by funkmasterb

Just put up my 2008 animation reel!

http://bradkinley.com/?page_id=13

damn that's cool!
Raging Spaniard
If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
(09-09-2008, 02:33 AM)
Raging Spaniard's Avatar

Originally Posted by OchreHand

Wanted to do something serene this time

Very nice, not much to say other than maybe some more highlights in the sky would help, some "god rays", even ... but I would have to see it first. I enjoy that youre telling us a story with the piece, maybe you should push it even further? Adding some hints of monsters lurking in the shadows could help you do that.

Originally Posted by funkmasterb

Just put up my 2008 animation reel!

http://bradkinley.com/?page_id=13

Excellent reel, I love the flour sack and brings me back to my 2D animation days, good music too! Did you do all the lighting and shader work as well? Its pretty brilliant really, since you use blocky 2D shapes with high res shader and texture work, giving it a very "next gen Hanna Barbera" look to it.
OchreHand
Member
(09-09-2008, 11:37 PM)
OchreHand's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raging Spaniard

Very nice, not much to say other than maybe some more highlights in the sky would help, some "god rays", even ... but I would have to see it first. I enjoy that youre telling us a story with the piece, maybe you should push it even further? Adding some hints of monsters lurking in the shadows could help you do that.

Hey thanks! I actually had light rays from the sky but I softened them for more serenity
i think the next piece i'll attempt a monster , never did one before but it should be fun at least trying
Xtyle
Member
(09-10-2008, 03:47 PM)
from this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...hlight=artwork





bigger version http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...finalmed-2.jpg






Akuma I did long ago

All photoshop
Pizza Luigi
Member
(09-10-2008, 04:10 PM)
Pizza Luigi's Avatar
You are all amazing, especially OchreHand and Raging Spaniard.

Damn, you're really gods among men.

That said, I made a drawing in Photoshop from the Jazz singer Diana Krall.

Didn't turn out how I wanted it, but I didn't care.

OchreHand
Member
(09-11-2008, 02:23 AM)
OchreHand's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pizza Luigi

You are all amazing, especially OchreHand and Raging Spaniard.

Damn, you're really gods among men.

That said, I made a drawing in Photoshop from the Jazz singer Diana Krall.

Didn't turn out how I wanted it, but I didn't care.

hey, thanks a lot for the kind words

You got the likeness down for Diana Krall. I would just push the values of your drawing, it'll look more solid that way

bigben85: i'm actually digging your Akuma sketch. something about the underlying sketchiness adds energy
Xtyle
Member
(09-11-2008, 04:47 AM)

Originally Posted by OchreHand

bigben85: i'm actually digging your Akuma sketch. something about the underlying sketchiness adds energy

Thanks.
One thing I like to put in that kind of drawings is energy and indication of movement.
Xtyle
Member
(09-11-2008, 04:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Pizza Luigi

That said, I made a drawing in Photoshop from the Jazz singer Diana Krall.

Didn't turn out how I wanted it, but I didn't care.

I think your busy background (all those lines) are in competition with your foreground objects. it is rougher than the rest of the drawing and that is catching attention. Could try toning that down or fade it out a little...
Raging Spaniard
If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
(09-14-2008, 06:41 AM)
Raging Spaniard's Avatar
Good to see your stuff bigben, looking sharp!
Im retouching some old artwork so that I can add it to my portfolio, heres an environment concept in that vein.

Before and after:



afternoon delight
Eat shit and die, Ricky!
Eat shit and live, Bill.
(09-14-2008, 07:02 AM)
afternoon delight's Avatar

Put a "Lord of the Flies" text on there and I'd make it the cover. Freal. It's that good.
Buttonbasher
Member
(09-14-2008, 07:05 AM)
Buttonbasher's Avatar

Sculpture that I call King of Frogs.
my name is ed
Member
(09-14-2008, 07:11 AM)
my name is ed's Avatar
Man, there are some hot pieces in this thread
I finally got a (tiny) wacom tablet and Im still trying to learn how to draw digitally but this is my most recent thing. Im trying to write my own comic and I figured it would be better to do it on the computer. Hopefully I can finish it and get it out by next century
The Take Out Bandit
grrrrrrr bungle snitches!
rrrrrrrrrrrrr baba britches!
sumthin sumthin itches!
DRAGGGUUULLLAAA!!!
(09-18-2008, 05:50 AM)
The Take Out Bandit's Avatar
I'm trying to get back on the horse, but it's mostly dragging me behind it with my leg caught in the stirrup. :lol

Doodles from work.



Friday seems to be my new Sketch Jam day, hopefully.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(09-18-2008, 05:57 AM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Take Out Bandit

I'm trying to get back on the horse, but it's mostly dragging me behind it with my leg caught in the stirrup. :lol

Doodles from work.

http://www.pencilero.com/images/large/SpeedRacer.jpg

Friday seems to be my new Sketch Jam day, hopefully.

Where are the tentacles?

And who's that guy?
The Take Out Bandit
grrrrrrr bungle snitches!
rrrrrrrrrrrrr baba britches!
sumthin sumthin itches!
DRAGGGUUULLLAAA!!!
(09-18-2008, 06:01 AM)
The Take Out Bandit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Halycon

Where are the tentacles?

And who's that guy?

Trixies with dixies?! That would be hot with her mini skirt. :D

Also staring at this Mach 5 toy I realized the car, viewed from the top is shaped like a woman's torso. I have to wonder if that was on the designers mind? Ingenious!
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(09-18-2008, 06:09 AM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Take Out Bandit

Trixies with dixies?! That would be hot with her mini skirt. :D

You know what you must do.
The Take Out Bandit
grrrrrrr bungle snitches!
rrrrrrrrrrrrr baba britches!
sumthin sumthin itches!
DRAGGGUUULLLAAA!!!
(09-18-2008, 06:12 AM)
The Take Out Bandit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Halycon

You know what you must do.

Hua hua hua. . . :D~~~~~

I'm gonna fire up the TPC tomorrow. Going to attempt Hollywood-izing a classic superhero.
blackadde
Member
(09-18-2008, 06:32 AM)



soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(09-18-2008, 08:10 AM)
soultron's Avatar

I got bored tonight. I typically draw more graffiti style stuff, but I wanted a hipster self-portrait just like every other cool kid out there.

I don't have a scanner, not that it would matter!
Rewrite
Not as deep as he thinks
(09-18-2008, 08:42 AM)
Rewrite's Avatar

Originally Posted by blackadde

awesome pics

WOW. That is amazing.

Also: Cool sketch, soultron!
Witchfinder General
punched Wheelchair Mike
(09-18-2008, 10:21 AM)
Witchfinder General's Avatar
Part of a fashion catalogue mock-up for a college project:



Raging Spaniard
If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
(09-18-2008, 10:32 AM)
Raging Spaniard's Avatar
Cool new stuff guys

Just got back from Vegas and instead of sleeping I felt like painting, so there you go

Extollere
Sucks at poetry
(09-18-2008, 11:29 AM)
Extollere's Avatar
Some things:


environ design


character design


life drawin'
Always-honest
always-end-with-a-swirl
(09-18-2008, 11:37 AM)
Always-honest's Avatar
wow, amazing talented guys here.

wow at that tree ^^
The Take Out Bandit
grrrrrrr bungle snitches!
rrrrrrrrrrrrr baba britches!
sumthin sumthin itches!
DRAGGGUUULLLAAA!!!
(09-18-2008, 01:50 PM)
The Take Out Bandit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raging Spaniard

Cool new stuff guys

Just got back from Vegas and instead of sleeping I felt like painting, so there you go

God damn you get around.
KevinCow
Banned
(09-18-2008, 02:04 PM)
KevinCow's Avatar
This is the greatest thing I have ever drawn.

klausbert
Member
(09-18-2008, 02:46 PM)

Originally Posted by blackadde

pictures

Those pics are like the movie: awesome :).
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(09-18-2008, 05:32 PM)
soultron's Avatar
Witchfinder, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Maybe it's just because I take pride in writing, but I cannot stand that graffiti font. Your image is so classy, and the "Just Jeans" logo is a great fit with the image, but the graf font just clashes with the whole deal.

Just offering a critique. I think your choices in typography are just as important a part of that piece as the actual hand drawn art. If you're going ever going to add graffiti stylings to something, just draw it out yourself -- it'll look ten times better and won't look played out.
sammy
Member
(09-18-2008, 06:01 PM)
nice pencil work Extollere! All kinds of awesome in this new art-thread, good incentive for us all to get our practice on .... now that MonsterHunter3 has been shown i can take a MH break and do some doodles. WipEout HD should interrupt my flow nicely though.


I'm getting back into the sketching now that fall is here and it's nice out, some photoshop stuff lately:

Dino's and Mammal-Like reptiles:



exploring Europa:


a study of a Sargent sketch:



10 min clothing gesture:


some GF fanart .... this little dude's design came out way too r-type ... thinking i might just close the cockpit in, if it won't look too much like a maschinen krieger style rip-off


some stuff for friends:





more nerdy shit in the works as i type
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(09-18-2008, 06:09 PM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by sammy

nice pencil work Extollere! All kinds of awesome in this new art-thread, good incentive for us all to get our practice on .... now that MonsterHunter3 has been shown i can take a MH break and do some doodles. WipEout HD should interrupt my flow nicely though.


I'm getting back into the sketching now that fall is here and it's nice out, some photoshop stuff lately:

Dino's and Mammal-Like reptiles:

Wat.
Shinz Kicker
Banned
(09-18-2008, 06:14 PM)



just took the compilations straight from the site. i have been fuckng lazy trying to get jobs lately or doing new work but a new website upgrade will infuse me with some awesome sauce to since ill have to create a lot of new images for it.

pretty much decided i really want to to do story board, above free lancing for spot illustration. my vector portfolio doesn't really convey my skills on life drawing as well as they are.
Last edited by Shinz Kicker; 09-18-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(09-18-2008, 06:17 PM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shinz Kicker

http://jasonwynkoop.com/EVIDENCE%203.jpg
[http://jasonwynkoop.com/evidence2.jpg

Really surreal, wow.
Always-honest
always-end-with-a-swirl
(09-18-2008, 06:27 PM)
Always-honest's Avatar

Originally Posted by sammy

wow.jpg

wow.. great work
sammy
Member
(09-18-2008, 06:35 PM)

Originally Posted by blackadde

here's a paper bear fighting a robot koala.

!! ROCK !! I love it

i've had requests to show some kind of tutorials so here's a work-in-progress Tigrex fanart I've been chipping away at slowly that might expose some of the process ... about half-way through, but i promised myself i'd finish it off when i got time. fanart's slow because i can't just make shit up :p
Oracrest and I were on a quest and he got trampled after cookin' a gourmet steak :D i felt obligated to do my own take on the even. the cat's going to be worked over from a picture of his sibling's pet cat
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(09-18-2008, 06:38 PM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by sammy

!! ROCK !! I love it

i've had requests to show some kind of tutorials so here's a work-in-progress Tigrex fanart I've been chipping away at slowly that might expose some of the process ... about half-way through, but i promised myself i'd finish it off when i got time. fanart's slow because i can't just make shit up :p
Oracrest and I were on a quest and he got trampled after cookin' a gourmet steak :D i felt obligated to do my own take on the even. the cat's going to be worked over from a picture of his sibling's pet cat
http://www.cerebral-art.com/Sammy/ESB/looks-tastey.jpg

Looking forward to even getting a glimpse at the process. So hyped.
Always-honest
always-end-with-a-swirl
(09-18-2008, 06:59 PM)
Always-honest's Avatar

Originally Posted by sammy

!! ROCK !! I love it

i've had requests to show some kind of tutorials so here's a work-in-progress Tigrex fanart I've been chipping away at slowly that might expose some of the process ... about half-way through, but i promised myself i'd finish it off when i got time.

yeah, i'd really like to see how you work to. from sketch to finish. is there a way? a site?..
i'm really impressed
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(09-18-2008, 07:00 PM)
soultron's Avatar
Sammy:

/bow

You and your work are unreal.
Extollere
Sucks at poetry
(09-18-2008, 07:34 PM)
Extollere's Avatar

Originally Posted by sammy

pictures

...showoff


=p
Ezduo
Banned
(09-18-2008, 07:46 PM)
Ezduo's Avatar
Man, I'd give anything to draw like some of you guys.
Dali
(09-18-2008, 08:06 PM)
Dali's Avatar
Holy crap Sammy. Just like the last thread your posts here make me lose all hope.
sammy
Member
(09-18-2008, 08:57 PM)
thanks :] I'm cleaning up my Photoshop collection of brushes that i can upload tomorrow for you folks to download. tons of stuff from brushes i've made and found, some M@ brushes and Sparth brushes from conceptart.org
they're good inspiration for some experimenting

i had an architecture tutorial from a while back, i'll find it and load it up
Always-honest
always-end-with-a-swirl
(09-18-2008, 09:12 PM)
Always-honest's Avatar

Originally Posted by sammy

thanks :] I'm cleaning up my Photoshop collection of brushes that i can upload tomorrow for you folks to download. tons of stuff from brushes i've made and found, some M@ brushes and Sparth brushes from conceptart.org
they're good inspiration for some experimenting

i had an architecture tutorial from a while back, i'll find it and load it up

thanx ahead!
conceptart.org = amazing by the way.... just brilliant artists...
Dark Octave
Banned
(09-18-2008, 09:16 PM)
Dark Octave's Avatar

Originally Posted by sammy

*tight ass art*

sammy is sick.
m0dus
(09-18-2008, 10:11 PM)
m0dus's Avatar
Some old stuff of mine:







3d eva Stuff:







and the video they were made for (just a proof of concept, nothing serious) ;)
JacksUsername
Member
(09-19-2008, 12:29 AM)
JacksUsername's Avatar
I'm really amazed with the work in this thread. When I was in the Fine Arts Department of my school, I'd rarely see work as strong as some of the stuff in here, and you guys keep pumping it out! Its always nice to see in art threads how everyone is generally appreciative, and the internet anonymous asshole rule is broken.

This thread is inspiring and I'd like to try to get into the digital painting side of things. I do have Photoshop (with a Wacom tablet), but didn't really understand its potential until seeing some of the work on here and random spots on the net.

I guess it would suit this thread, so I'm asking it here: would people mind sharing any communities, resources, links etc, that they might have available to someone trying to get back into the art community. I've really done mostly traditional 2-d stuff before, but I'd love to experiment with Photoshop, but don't really know where to begin for brush techniques and methods (whenever I've done Photoshop coloring, it tends to come off very pastel looking and I can't seem to blend colors on the computer well). I've tried googling some sites, but most of the results are really bad anime or comic book rip off styles that are even worse than the really cheap "how to draw this way" books that are all over the market.

So if anyone is inclined to include great resources, please do, I know I'll be going to this thread a lot to see all the work. Thanks guys.
The Take Out Bandit
grrrrrrr bungle snitches!
rrrrrrrrrrrrr baba britches!
sumthin sumthin itches!
DRAGGGUUULLLAAA!!!
(09-19-2008, 04:25 AM)
The Take Out Bandit's Avatar
God damn Sammy, you make me sick! :D

How long do you spend on your pieces?

I didn't get anything done today at work because I had to do work, and an excessive amount since my dickhead co-workers all bailed out when the workload reached critical mass. Leaving me like a ball bouncing off the bumpers in a pinball machine. >:|
sammy
Member
(09-19-2008, 08:38 PM)
EDIT:
k, they're down ... time to widdle that file size down, i have a few new brushes and i can compact all of mine into a file of their own.



mmmmmkay, get 'em while they's hot! it's a rather large file full of brushes ( 39.6mb )
I'll take them down once i experiment with new brushes which is pretty often, and then put more up. so if anyone wants to host, that would be very much appreciated :D

it's a grab-bag of a few PS default brushes (most PS defaults are Craig Mullin's from what i've learned) ...... and tons of random stamps/textures i've found over the internet. many brushes in the middle created by the very talented M@ and a few from the legendary Sparth. Tons of my brushes are at the very bottom, some made from scans of my marker work (inspired by David Downton's illustration) and some brushes i capture from my pencil hatchings ... then all kinds of stamps and junk I'm still experimenting with:

the basic round #19 is always a good one to get started with .... anyone familiar with Homeworld 1&2's animatics will know what that brush looks like :)

The Take Out Bandit --- it all depends, if it's a subject i'm familar with i can usually breeze through a quick painting. but i try a lot of unfamiliar stuff often, and never limit myself on time. it's good to admit when you're ignorant of a subject and take some time to do some research/reference.
The Tigrex illustration will probably be something i end up spending 15+ hours on (many different characters in that one, so i've been pausing the game a lot and referencing the concept-art book). while something like the little concept of the GF ship was from a scanned in thumbnail and once color was put down probably took 30+ min at most
Last edited by sammy; 09-23-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Always-honest
always-end-with-a-swirl
(09-19-2008, 11:20 PM)
Always-honest's Avatar

Originally Posted by sammy

mmmmmkay, get 'em while they's hot! it's a rather large file full of brushes ( 39.6mb )
I'll take them down once i experiment with new brushes which is pretty often, and then put more up. so if anyone wants to host, that would be very much appreciated :D

it's a grab-bag of a few PS default brushes (most PS defaults are Craig Mullin's from what i've learned) ...... and tons of random stamps/textures i've found over the internet. many brushes in the middle created by the very talented M@ and a few from the legendary Sparth. Tons of my brushes are at the very bottom, some made from scans of my marker work (inspired by David Downton's illustration) and some brushes i capture from my pencil hatchings ... then all kinds of stamps and junk I'm still experimenting with:

*right click save*
PHOTOSHOP brushes

the basic round #19 is always a good one to get started with .... anyone familiar with Homeworld 1&2's animatics will know what that brush looks like :)

The Take Out Bandit --- it all depends, if it's a subject i'm familar with i can usually breeze through a quick painting. but i try a lot of unfamiliar stuff often, and never limit myself on time. it's good to admit when you're ignorant of a subject and take some time to do some research/reference.
The Tigrex illustration will probably be something i end up spending 15+ hours on (many different characters in that one, so i've been pausing the game a lot and referencing the concept-art book). while something like the little concept of the GF ship was from a scanned in thumbnail and once color was put down probably took 30+ min at most

thank you. will experiment wit that!!

Thread Tools