lol blu-ray.com posted the Arrow Academy titles early:
The Big Knife - Robert Aldrich
L'amour d'une femme - Jean Grémillon

Guess I'll post the covers on Monday.
cj_iwakura
Banned
(05-13-2017, 12:10 AM)

Originally Posted by berzeli

(side note: Ronin is such a boring film, and this is an objective fact)

You're nuts, it's a classic. I LOVE Ronin.

The commentary is also amazing. It was Frankenheimer's last film before his passing, so having him commentate is eerie.
Anton Sugar
(05-13-2017, 12:31 AM)
I love me some Ronin. I can't remember the cg shot. What was it?
cj_iwakura
Banned
(05-13-2017, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Anton Sugar

I love me some Ronin. I can't remember the cg shot. What was it?

I have no idea, but I'm guessing it's something to do with the Coliseum. The film felt pretty legit to me.

The backwards chase scene in Nice was done at 15MPH or so and sped up, according to the commentary.

No questions, no answers.
You accept it and move on.

Maybe that's the final lesson.
afternoon delight
Eat shit and die, Ricky!
Eat shit and live, Bill.
(05-13-2017, 03:22 AM)
RE: Ronin CGI, you're going to laugh- it's used once in the scene where De Niro and Reno are driving in the French countryside during a sunset, while De Niro's character is bleeding out. They simply did not have the time or budget to go back and reshoot, and thus resorted to faking the driving scenery.

Never would've known until you listen to the commentary hahaha

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

Maybe that's the final lesson.

The empty staircase at the end is a metaphor for my life.
Ridley327
(05-13-2017, 02:17 PM)
Speaking of Arrow stuff, the Taisho Trilogy got pushed back a month to July 3. No reason given, but if I had to guess, there are some extras that are taking longer to clear than they expected, since there still isn't a final listing on that aspect.
berzeli
(05-15-2017, 05:02 PM)
And Arrow Academy time!
UK Only:

UK & US:

Interesting to see them re-releasing The Hunt but this time under the Academy banner.
IronRinn
(05-16-2017, 02:40 PM)
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman is currently $95.86 on Amazon, slightly more than 50% off.
TheFlow
Banned
(05-16-2017, 02:46 PM)

Originally Posted by IronRinn

Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman is currently $95.86 on Amazon, slightly more than 50% off.

definitely a good deal. still gonna wait so I can get it a few bucks less at my store.
Ridley327
(05-16-2017, 06:59 PM)
Criterion's Twitter just posted an image straight from Sid & Nancy, so I figure that's going to be our second high profile return to the collection this year ahead of the announcements today.

Probably won't be the last, as there's been some rumblings about The Silence of the Lambs coming back later this year, too.
berzeli
(05-16-2017, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Ridley327

Criterion's Twitter just posted an image straight from Sid & Nancy, so I figure that's going to be our second high profile return to the collection this year ahead of the announcements today.

Probably won't be the last, as there's been some rumblings about The Silence of the Lambs coming back later this year, too.

Wait, does that mean Criterion has gotten the Studiocanal rights back? Or is that film part of another library in the states?
c-murph
(05-16-2017, 07:22 PM)

Buying both if true.
TheFlow
Banned
(05-16-2017, 07:23 PM)

Wait, does that mean Criterion has gotten the Studiocanal rights back? Or is that film part of another library in the states?

Didn't someone hint at Ran coming to Criterion? If so this would make sense
Ridley327
(05-16-2017, 08:03 PM)

I'm pretty sure that Sid & Nancy is an MGM title in the US. It was OOP looooooooong before the Studiocanal exodus, along with a few other MGM titles (including the one in the spoiler).

EDIT: And for more proof, it's no longer listed as OOP when you browse the collection as a whole. The page for the film itself does list it as OOP, but I imagine that will be updated rather soon.
Last edited by Ridley327; 05-16-2017 at 09:14 PM.
berzeli
(05-16-2017, 09:39 PM)

Originally Posted by TheFlow

Didn't someone hint at Ran coming to Criterion? If so this would make sense

I don't think so. That one is definitely with Lionsgate last I checked.

I'm pretty sure that Sid & Nancy is an MGM title in the US. It was OOP looooooooong before the Studiocanal exodus, along with a few other MGM titles (including the one in the spoiler).

EDIT: And for more proof, it's no longer listed as OOP when you browse the collection as a whole. The page for the film itself does list it as OOP, but I imagine that will be updated rather soon.

Ah, so it is, wasn't sure. Guess they'll use the SC restoration though? Would be silly otherwise.
Ridley327
(05-16-2017, 09:47 PM)

Ah, so it is, wasn't sure. Guess they'll use the SC restoration though? Would be silly otherwise.

I'd assume so? I would imagine that's essentially a loophole for Criterion to get around any possible conflict with Lionsgate, since this is being done mainly through MGM.
Ridley327
(05-16-2017, 09:53 PM)
August releases!

Fancy Clown
(05-16-2017, 10:09 PM)
The Breaking Point sounds pretty cool, anyone seen it?
Net_Wrecker
(05-16-2017, 10:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Fancy Clown

The Breaking Point sounds pretty cool, anyone seen it?

I posted about it in the movie thread a few pages back, ya bum. Thanks for reading my posts :(

Liked it a lot. Great dialogue, very noir.
BenjaminBirdie
(05-16-2017, 10:30 PM)
Sid and Nancy!!!!!

Also that Hopscotch cover is a masterpiece.
Fancy Clown
(05-16-2017, 10:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Net_Wrecker

I posted about it in the movie thread a few pages back, ya bum. Thanks for reading my posts :(

Liked it a lot. Great dialogue, very noir.

lol sorry, I usually do! It was buried in your monster post of hot takes which were too blinding for me to parse them all apparently.
TheFlow
Banned
(05-17-2017, 12:09 AM)

Originally Posted by BenjaminBirdie

Sid and Nancy!!!!!

Also that Hopscotch cover is a masterpiece.

This
codhand
(05-17-2017, 01:08 AM)
holy shit, Meantime is so fuckin dank yall, my god Criterion is GOAT!
berzeli
(05-17-2017, 02:11 AM)
I thought that the Sid & Nancy cover would be the worst one announced today.

Boy was I wrong.

(Just buy the MoC one, it's region free, has more extras, and its cover won't make your eyes bleed.)
c-murph
(05-17-2017, 01:07 PM)

August releases!

Looking at S&N and Breaking Point. Havent heard of the others? Any others that aare must sees?!
Ridley327
(05-17-2017, 02:49 PM)

I thought that the Sid & Nancy cover would be the worst one announced today.

Boy was I wrong.

(Just buy the MoC one, it's region free, has more extras, and its cover won't make your eyes bleed.)

Why do I get the feeling that Twilight Time is on the cusp of a big GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE in the near future.
berzeli
(05-17-2017, 03:30 PM)

Why do I get the feeling that Twilight Time is on the cusp of a big GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE in the near future.

Because they're releasing 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag for $30?
Ridley327
(05-17-2017, 05:24 PM)

Because they're releasing 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag for $30?

Well, SOMEONE has release that film!

But yeah, with Kino started expanding their Studio Classics line, losing pretty much every license that was able to be renewed to other boutique labels, to say nothing of the recent comedy around Sony pulling the license for Panic Room at Fincher's request, and more and more stuff that TT has been getting has been getting better and region free releases, I'm really not sure what their purpose is now.
berzeli
(05-18-2017, 07:35 PM)

lol.
Ridley327
(05-18-2017, 11:40 PM)
I am pretty sure that Bandit Queen has been a part of every $10 sale that they've done.
Infernostew
(05-19-2017, 11:31 PM)
So I was browsing Amazon Prime movies and I came across this...
omgkitty
(05-19-2017, 11:51 PM)
Let me help you:

It's been a given that it was going to be Criterion since it was announced to be released by Janus.
Infernostew
(05-19-2017, 11:58 PM)
Ah good deal. I wasn't even aware.