• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 announced (360, Xbox One), releasing this fall

Synth

Good shout. Although those versions seem a little bit more separate than FH2 will be.

However I wonder about the process. Say if Playground wanted to put this specific car into FH2. Do they first have to run this by Sumo just in case it's not possible to get the car into the 360 version & engine without massive compromises?

It's actually quite interesting. Splinter Cell makes sense... they clearly went "well here's the brief... off you go you two teams and do your own things" and you got two versions with differences. FH2... I just really want to know how they are approaching this with the core differences. Interesting.

If the 360 version is running on the Horizon 1 engine, then they would realistically have access to Forza 4's library of cars. With that in mind, I can't really see the 360 version being the limiting factor in terms of what cars make the cut.

JaggedSac

here we go
aU5AwHx.gif

You gotta throw some text on there man.

Kuni

If the 360 version is running on the Horizon 1 engine, then they would realistically have access to Forza 4's library of cars. With that in mind, I can't really see the 360 version being the limiting factor in terms of what cars make the cut.

Mhm... maybe a flawed example then. How about world design then? Obviously Playground will have much more polygon throughput than Sumo does. Now they can scale stuff like foliage, draw distance, etc... but what if Sumo comes back and says "hey... this area of the game is going to look significantly worse on 360... can we change it?"

Synth

Mhm... maybe a flawed example then. How about world design then? Obviously Playground will have much more polygon throughput than Sumo does. Now they can scale stuff like foliage, draw distance, etc... but what if Sumo comes back and says "hey... this area of the game is going to look significantly worse on 360... can we change it?"

Yea, world design is a different matter. I doubt the Xbox One version would be compromised on the account of the Xbox 360 version looking worse, as that's simply to be expected really. The roads themselves should never be an issue, so it would pretty much only boiled down to trackside detail, which I'd imagine would scale rather well.

Plus the original FH already looked amazing, so regardless of what the Xbox One version looks like, there shouldn't be any real reasons for the 360 version to look too bad compared to other 360 games.

Kuni

Yea, world design is a different matter. I doubt the Xbox One version would be compromised on the account of the Xbox 360 version looking worse, as that's simply to be expected really. The roads themselves should never be an issue, so it would pretty much only boiled down to trackside detail, which I'd imagine would scale rather well.

Plus the original FH already looked amazing, so regardless of what the Xbox One version looks like, there shouldn't be any real reasons for the 360 version to look too bad compared to other 360 games.

Well it's not so much the 360 looking bad. I'm sure it'll be quite the pretty game, like the first as you say. More is it going to shackle Playground throughout the process?

Hope not of course. There are certainly things they can do on each front to scale... but then again they need to include those too as they go through development.

RawNuts

Really hope you can swap out drivetrains as well; AWD was king in Colorado and I would like a more diverse set of competitive go-to vehicles than evos and subies.

strata8

Well it's not so much the 360 looking bad. I'm sure it'll be quite the pretty game, like the first as you say. More is it going to shackle Playground throughout the process?

Hope not of course. There are certainly things they can do on each front to scale... but then again they need to include those too as they go through development.

I don't think Playground would even be taking the 360 into consideration.

I believe the content with all be the same but the graphics will be roughly the same as FH1. Which is totally fine for me.
Including weather and Drivatars? Those read like Xbone only features, though that stuff is also couched with "hundreds of cars" too, so maybe the versions differ on that front as well.

Bsigg12

Hmmmm do I go with Sumo, who have proven time and time again that they can't make a racing game with a locked solid framerate or Playground, the company that produced the best racing game all of last gen? Tough call, but I'm going with Playground on this one.

Playground because they're working on new hardware. I'm sure Sumo will produce a competent product but the Xbox One version could be something amazing after what Playground did with the first Horizon.

MisterNoisy

Awesome. Loved the first FH game and a current-gen version would be just great. Kinda hoping they put more collectibles in this one, too - I liked lazily driving around smashing those signs.

Kelsey

Banned
Playground because they're working on new hardware. I'm sure Sumo will produce a competent product but the Xbox One version could be something amazing after what Playground did with the first Horizon.

I was being sarcastic. I thought that was obvious. =)

There's no way I'd go with Sumo over Playground on a game designed and coded by Playground.

Bsigg12

I was being sarcastic. I thought that was obvious. =)

There's no way I'd go with Sumo over Playground on a game designed and coded by Playground.

I can't tell who's joking anymore in this thread lol

I believe the content with all be the same but the graphics will be roughly the same as FH1. Which is totally fine for me.

I think we'll see a bigger disparity than most people think. Mainly cars and weather. It seems like Playground will be able to pull cars straight from Forza 5 (they're using the Forza 5 engine) and the weather sounds like it is exclusive to the Xbox One. Horizon had a pretty good car selection but it was small compared to Forza 4 so I wonder how many cars from that game will be returning and how many will be new.

Ran Ran

It was the context of the conversation you were having, nothing against you at all. If people trace the quote they will see what I mean. It wasn't meant to make you look bad I promise!

It's all good my friend.

Back on topic...

Hundreds of cars is good. If there was one thing really disappointing about Forza 5 it was the lack of cars out of the box.

We need Xbox and Sony logos on those hats for maximum gif power...I mean even the colors match.

Many of the cross-gen titles from the beginning of the PS3/X360 era followed this structure. Ubisoft and EA titles pop into mind. The results were generally well received.

Yep, Bought both the PS2 and Xbox 360 version of Force Unleashed. They have the same name and follow the same plot, but gameplay is radically different. Glad I have both of them. Gonna double dip if we get a situation like that for these games.

Kanokare

Just gotta announce the X1 version has 60fps and we're set. No lame aesthetics excuses or selling imagery over playability.

Just gotta announce the X1 version has 60fps and we're set. No lame aesthetics excuses or selling imagery over playability.
I doubt there's any chance we'll see the Forza 5 engine, applied to an open world, with a full dynamic day/night cycle and weather, and still nail 60fps. That's a dream world.

But that said, once you decide to lock 30fps, and I mean truly lock it down, while still minimizing control latency as much as can be done, possibilities begin to open up. And that's not just about pretty visuals, though real AA is appreciated in any game - but also different road surfaces and weather conditions that not only look nice but also directly affect the driving model.

Open world with day/night system and weather mechanics is more than imagery over playability. If its using the Forza 5 mechanics, a wet ground is gonna make a big ass difference. As well as driving on something other than concreate. Night racing on the highway can be brutal when the path decides to cut into some random secret dirt path.

shandy706

Looking forward to this.

Have my daughters 5k graduation @ 9am and lunch with her @ 11am. (Eastern)

I'll be catching up at the office afterward.

Kanokare

I doubt there's any chance we'll see the Forza 5 engine, applied to an open world, with a full dynamic day/night cycle and weather, and still nail 60fps. That's a dream world.

But that said, once you decide to lock 30fps, and I mean truly lock it down, while still minimizing control latency as much as can be done, possibilities begin to open up. And that's not just about pretty visuals, though real AA is appreciated in any game - but also different road surfaces and weather conditions that not only look nice but also directly affect the driving model.

Open world with day/night system and weather mechanics is more than imagery over playability. If its using the Forza 5 mechanics, a wet ground is gonna make a big ass difference. As well as driving on something other than concreate. Night racing on the highway can be brutal when the path decides to cut into some random secret dirt path.

I just don't want to see any excuses of why it may end up 30fps. I enjoyed FH on X360 so I'm looking forward to FH2. If it ends up at 60 fps it'll take the cake, if it ends up 30 fps don't toss out any excuses like Drive Club or The Order.

Been following this thread all day and it's terrible. Every time there is good news about the X1, people come out of the woodworks to talk down on it. People have never played Forza Horizon, give their opinion on the game like they have actually played it before. This thread is funny and awful at the same time.

LOLCats

Banned
Been following this thread all day and it's terrible. Every time there is good news about the X1, people come out of the woodworks to talk down on it. People have never played Forza Horizon, give there opinion on the game like they have actually played it before. This thread funny and awful at the same time.

There are a lot of excited people too...

I'm still really wondering what this new IGN format will be like. It just seems strange to take this information and spread it out over the entire month. But whatever, can't wait to hear impressions.
It's not strange at all. IGN wants clicks in their site, and spreading out the info guarantees them clicks every day they tease new info that could have been released all at once. It's a crappy way of revealing stuff, by it makes sense when you think about what benefits them as a site.

W.S.

I hope we see more courses like Rally di Positano

maxresdefault.jpg

That was amongst my favorite Forza 4 tracks aesthetically.

Bsigg12

I hope we see more courses like Rally di Positano

maxresdefault.jpg

That was amongst my favorite Forza 4 tracks aesthetically.

Horizon isn't like proper Forza. They'll use a fictional layout of whatever area in southern Europe to create scenic and fun races whether it be circuits or rallies.

W.S.

Horizon isn't like proper Forza. They'll use a fictional layout of whatever area in southern Europe to create scenic and fun races whether it be circuits or rallies.

Yeah the original Horizon wasn't REALLY Colorado so I wouldn't expect 1:1 matches but I'm looking forward to seeing that sort of Rally di Positano style scenery blended into the open world.

Top Bottom