• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alundra and Arc the Lad on PSN 10.12.2010, $5.99 apiece

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shouta said:
Arc: ToTS is not a bad game, maybe a little worse than the original trilogy as a whole but probably better than Arc 1 as a singular game. That last PS2 game though... awful.

Mmmm GL on PSN would be fantastic. If you could get GL IV out, that would remove it from my list of games I want to translate if I ever muster up the energy to do it in my free time. :lol

You know, I remember reading a lot of people being quite disappointed with Twilight of the Spirits. I played through it a while ago, and it wasn't all that bad a game. I liked the more free-range battle system, even though I would have rather more "dungeon-y" areas and less backtracking. Interesting plot twists throughout the game though.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
vireland (re: Maximo HD) said:
Similar styles of game, 2D vs 3D. I think there'd be a natural crossover, and it's a sin that series stopped at II.
I suppose, but it didn't supplant GnG like Capcom was hoping and I don't see an HD remix changing that. I think an HD port of Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins would be a far more successful venture, especially if it was/included the Kai version that markets outside Japan never saw and is generally regarded as superior to the original release.

Similarly, Maverick Hunter X would assuredly do really well on XBLA/PSN. These games have the perfect 'nostalgia itch' factor that goes over so well on those services, and the window to be concerned about cannibalizing the PSP games' sales is long over.

I'm not saying I'm not interested in a Maximo HD release, though, to be clear. I'm just saying, assuming the same folks have all those properties in their portfolio, Maximo is probably the biggest gamble.

I have always thought Sony's price structure for PSone games are a bargain. Take into account that I can get games like Resident Evil 2 and Suikoden for $5.99 while Nintendo will sell the original Super Mario Bro for $5. I love SMB but $5 for a NES game is kinda steep compared to what you can get with some of the PSone classics.

I have around 60 PSone games on my HDD so I am building a nice little digital collection for myself. I am also surprised that the Goemon sequels and Vib Ribbon have not shown op on the JPN PSN at this point but I am sure its bound to happen.

Here are games that I would LOVE to play and would hope they release them at some point.

Persona 1 and 2
Lunar 1 and 2
Suikoden 2

As for JPN only games I would love to see

The Goemon games
Vib Ribbon
Tobal 2
Panzer Bandit

Pretty much any game that is a platformer, shmup or a fighter/beat em up that can get around the language barrier.

Dr. Light

Hey Vic, back in 2007 you sold me a signed, sealed copy of Alundra + sealed strategy guide + bonus pins on Ebay. I think the whole thing came to about $100, which was a steal for a collector like myself. Thanks a ton Vic. You still selling merchandise on Ebay?

This PSN release will give me a chance to play the game without opening the precious plastic (and also play it on PSP).

I also own Arc Collection, BTW. As well as about 10 other WD games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Angelcurio said:
Now i hope that Lunar and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue are next on your list Victor.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

God, I wish people would read the first page of these threads as this has been over at least five times now.

Persona 1 and 2

You'd have to bug Atlus. And bug Atlus to get in touch with the Innocent Sin fan translators to put their translation into a iso and make an eboot of that so you have the complete Persona 2 (fan/GREAT translation, shitty sequel 90's Atlus translation) story instead of half it.

Suikoden 2

It's still mind boggling how this (and Einhander) isn't on the store despite the fact the FIRST IS UP THERE FOR THREE YEARS NOW.

Finally a chance to double dip on Alundra.

vireland said:
Don't read TOO much into this, but would the Alundra fans out there pay for a Maximo HD PSN release?
I would sell your soul for it to happen. The first Maximo is a freakin masterpiece

Grzi

I guess I'm still the only one who mostly hated AtLII.
The game was too long, the sidequests were repetitive, and what really bugged me was getting all of the characters' special attacks like halfway through the game (maybe even earlier) so there was nothing to look forward to in the rest of the game, I'd have already seen everything, gameplay-wise. That really bothered me.

Yes Boss!

I'd pya for a Maximo HD release as well. Loved the first one.

Also, will pick up both PSN titles coming next week. Thanks for releasing them.

Lain

Yasae said:
No, really it's not.

To be fair I didn't finish Twilight of Spirits, but did get 25 hours in and wondered when it would stop being boring, derivative dreck. Never happened, so I quit.

I did finish Twilight of the Spirit.
I had to. I had to see how bad the game would end up as and I wanted to see the end.
Silly me.

I own the WD Arc the Lad collection, so I don't think I'd re buy the digital version (plus I'm in Europe, so getting it off the NA PSN store is kind of problematic) but I do hope this ends up as a success, as I love that idea of getting titles that never got localized before if this works and by then maybe SCEE will be just a tad less retarded.

Maffis said:
I played ALundra for 30 hours when I had it as a child. I came 1/3 of the way x)

Long game.
IIRC, 30 hours is around when I'd expect to finish it.

Also, I love TotS. One of the most underrated games on the PS2, for me. It had a great story and was told in a really interesting way, and the battle system was a lot of fun.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You can do a lot of things in Alundra (hunt for Gilded Falcons, Life Shards, etc.) which makes the game long.

Not to mention this game can get pretty difficult (puzzles and bosses).

Dave Long

Banned
I'll be buying Alundra for sure. Thanks for putting these games on PSN. I really wish the industry would have your attitude toward its past games.

aaaaaa

+1 for Arc

I bought Alundra a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. Not quite up to ALTTP/LA quality, but still recommended.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Love, love, Love, love, Love, love, Love, love, Love, love, Love, love, Arc the Lad. I hope they put the PS1 trilogy up.

Dragon

Banned
Alundra = bought

Twilight of the Spirits I got to the final boss and got my ass handed to me over five times and I just quit :lol

Varjis

Buying Both.

If by some miracle Vic, you could wrangle the rights to Suikoden 2 from Konami (Since they apparently feel that re-releasing one of the most coveted PS1 RPGS that still commands a huge price on Ebay isn't worth their time.) I can imagine it's sales would justify a release.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to what other gems you can get out there for us!

Cornbread78

Yasae said:
:lol Helllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.

I had some fun with it, the battle system was different and the story was definately interesting to say the least. It was worth the $5 bucks I paid for it out of the bargain bin!

Eric C

vireland said:
Don't read TOO much into this, but would the Alundra fans out there pay for a Maximo HD PSN release?

Didn't see this part about Maximo last night. But

YES to Maximo HD!

Aru

I waited far too much for Alundra. I borrowed a friend's copy, thinking it would never be released on US PSN.
It's a great game, but sometimes frustrating. A near-perfect mix of Landstalker and Zelda. It has aged well and looks very good on PSN, despite having dark colors.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Finally able to comment on this. I am getting both because I actually thing these are worthy of the classics branding on the store. BUT more than that I want to support Vic's cause and make sure that we get more of these on the PSN store. Will get both on each of my 2 main accounts.

And Vic, when that presser hits on the blog or where ever, please feel free to elaborate more on future plans that we may not be clear on yet. Thanks :)

vireland

Lyonaz said:
Will buy Alundra!

I remember getting stuck at some puzzle I couldn't solve. But damn I loved that game.

We're trying to minimize this by putting up sections of the strategy guide that deal with some of the more difficult puzzles (logically or because of programming quirks - there were a few that were unintentionally harder because of quirky issues specific to those puzzles).

But it is a hard game. Not "cheap" hard, but in a classic, challenging sense. The game does not hold your hand and wipe your butt to get you through. It demands thought and practice. But if you meet its demands, the story and gameplay experience is SO rewarding. My ideal game. And there's not many of 'em these days. :)

Ranger X

This is clearly the best Zelda game that isn't Zelda. Sort of Zelda for the hardcore gamer I would say.

I love love it.

Aru

Besides one or two puzzles that require tight timing, the game isn't really THAT hard. Maybe the last bosses will give you a hard time if you don't have the best sword.

undecided

Alundra will be my first PSN PSX purchase.. I have always wanted to play it and never got the chance.

Thanks for making this happen.

Now to dig up my PSP...

Alundra was absolutely beautiful. Will pick it up for sure. I'm hoping for more obscure gems like this to come to PSN - Brigandine comes to mind (though that one was Atlus)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
9-10 hours from now

DMeisterJ

Banned
Dave Long said:
So what time do these usually go up?

Sometime between 5 and 10 EST

--

Anyways, since Seks got his game can I get mine? Xenogears, and it's already up on the JP Store, so let's just bring it to the US.

Fodder76

Don't know much about either, but will buy both. I like supporting the good guys, and the presence on this forum helps too. Thanks!

vireland said:
It's more a question of "is it worth the effort"? It's a complete pain in the butt to get older titles licensed and ready for PSN. If they only sell 5,000 or 10,000 or something, it's hardly worth it after everyone takes their cut. If we're selling 20 or 30k units (which is completely reasonable for an RPG at these prices and with the PS3 installed base), and up, it makes sense to keep grinding away at the other titles we're working on and maybe even get some PS1 content that was never localized translated for first-time release. There are lots of possibilities, but they all hinge on sales of these first few titles, since they don't get a whole lot better than this. If these won't sell for $5.99, nothing will.

Does this mean we could possibly get a version of Silhouette Mirage that's not been horribly toyed with?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Arc the Lad was decent, but just a little too short and kind of unbalanced. Arc II was better in almost every way overall but was way, way, WAY too long. I think Arc III was my favorite of the original three games just because it was overall just more fun and felt like the formula stayed fresh through just about the whole game.

kswiston

Will be getting both of these. The Arc the Lad series is one of the few PS1 rpg series I have never played. I have a disk version of Alundra, but I will be double dipping to encourage more PS1 rpg releases.

stupei

It's been too long since I played it to remember, so maybe someone else can tell me: are Alundra's controls well suited to the PSP?

Sigh...

This thread just serves as a reminder that I've made some stupid decisions in my life.
Among them, the day I sold this:

14njrli.jpg

I'm an idiot.

GatorBait

I never played these games when they first came out, and frankly, I don't have the time to play them right this moment. However, I will purchase both on principle alone. I want to support the companies who bring their good, classic games to PSN.

vireland

hikarutilmitt said:
Does this mean we could possibly get a version of Silhouette Mirage that's not been horribly toyed with?

Well, now you're being silly for the sake of consternation. I was talking about games that never made it over in the first place. I have a wishlist and some of it's already in talks. We'll see what happens. Monkeypaw's been a great ally in this.

Top Bottom