• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine, one day I'll go back and play the answer, just for you buddha.

1350958186329.gif

v0js.gif

I think I'll need to play The Answer at some point...

Probably during my Winter Break if I do, not nearly enough time to drop into it right now.

Dantis

CrazyDude

I have been wondering what Persona 5 is going to look like. Will they get rid of portraits and handle story moments like Catherine?

Basically the last few hours of The Answer are cool, and some of the things you see and learn, but overall, storywise, it is not as good as The Journey.

I have been wondering what Persona 5 is going to look like. Will they get rid of portraits and handle story moments like Catherine?

Catherine-style cutscenes may be used for important scenes, but there's 0% chance they're totally ditching the talking head portraits (although there's a possibility that the talking head portraits will be higher quality characters models, sort of like in the Raidou games).

Dantis

^Good thing the final boss itself is kind of weak!

can ruin what was already kind of ruined :p

This is completely untrue.

The way it portrays characters is completely off, and it gives answers that weren't needed (I do not need to know the in-universe reason for an Evoker looking like a gun, thank you).

There is also a series of REALLY ridiculous battles (You know which I'm talking about) and it removes any ambiguity from P3's ending (Which has since become a referenced thing in later games, but whatever. I interpreted it differently than what I was then told in The Answer).

Catherine-style cutscenes may be used for important scenes, but there's 0% chance they're totally ditching the talking head portraits (although there's a possibility that the talking head portraits will be higher quality characters models, sort of like in the Raidou games).

Yup. I've been saying this for ages. Don't expect Catherine level production on the entire game. I don't think they have the budget or the manpower.

kewlmyc

This is completely untrue.

The way it portrays characters is completely off, and it gives answers that weren't needed (I do not need to know the in-universe reason for an Evoker looking like a gun, thank you).

There is also a series of REALLY ridiculous battles (You know which I'm talking about) and it removes any ambiguity from P3's ending (Which has since become a referenced thing in later games, but whatever. I interpreted it differently than what I was then told in The Answer).

The battle music during the ridiculous battles though is godlike.

It is obvious that more old school Persona fans or old Megaten fans (a generalization, I am aware, but yep.) usually tend to like The Answer better than others.

dkoy

Wooh new OT! (yeah yeah I'm late). Awesome banner Dantis, very nice!

I thought The Answer was nice since it revealed the first time everybody got involved in the Persona business. Then again all I did was watch the cutscenes on Youtube so it's not like I had to suffer through the grinding. Also, Darkness is an awesome track.

Dantis

The battle music during the ridiculous battles though is godlike.

It was ruined for me by the fights.

This was probably the first time I encountered the kind of passionate fury that only Persona games really bring out in me.

It is a great track though.

To me, The Answer was where Aigis became a genuinely great character, instead of merely a good one in the main story.

Also helped by the fact that the Japanese voice actress - Maaya Sakamoto's performance was so good.

Jintor

we are living our liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiives
abound with so much informationnnnnnnnnn

come on, let go of the remote
don't you know, you're letting all the junk flood in?
try to stop the flow, double-clicking on the go
but it's no use; hey, i'm being consumed
loading, loading, loading
quickly reachin' maximum capacity
warning warning warning-
gonna short-circuit my identity (ahh!)

Get up on your feet, te-ar down the walls
Catch a glimmmmpse, of the hollow worrrrrrld
Snoopin' 'round town will get you no-wherrrre
You're locked up in your minnnnnnnnnd...
We're-all-trapped in-a maze of re-la-tion-ships
Life goes on with-or-with-out-youuuu
I-swim-in-the-sea-of-the-un-cons-cious
I search for your heart, pursuing my true- seeeeeeeeeeelf

CrazyDude

It was ruined for me by the fights.

This was probably the first time I encountered the kind of passionate fury that only Persona games really bring out in me.

I found the last boss was easier then the last boss in the journey. Took me only one try to beat the answer final boss, while the journey's last boss took me a couple of try's. To be fair to the answer's boss, I did end up with only one person left alive and with very low health by the end.

Dantis

To me, The Answer was where Aigis became a genuinely great character, instead of merely a good one in the main story.

Also helped by the fact that the Japnese VA was so good.

Hmm? I don't even remember Aigis having any influence on the story outside of the opening and the ending.

In fact, nobody did, because the mid section was just lame-ass flashbacks.

I found the last boss was easier then the last boss in the journey. Took me only one try to beat the answer final boss, while the journey's last boss took me a couple of try's. To be fair to the answer's boss, I did end up with only one person left alive and with very low health by the end.

I agree. Very easy.

Random fact for you: I am of the opinion that an easy final boss is a good thing. When you've spent 20+ hours on a game, you don't want to get to the final boss and not be able to progress.

CrazyDude

I agree. Very easy.

Random fact for you: I am of the opinion that an easy final boss is a good thing. When you've spent 20+ hours on a game, you don't want to get to the final boss and not be able to progress.

I have to agree, I don't want it to be too easy, but you make a final boss to hard and the flow of the games ending becomes disjointed.

What about something akin to the "live 2D" mode of some JRPGs recently? Like Summon Night 5 or Conception I and II? The 2D portraits become animated and they move around while talking/interacting. I really hope that is the case as it will look really really good.

Dantis

I'm not a princess
(lotta anger in it)
or a cutie girlfriend, oh-no
don't you know-

HO!

What about something akin to the "live 2D" mode of some JRPGs recently? Like Summon Night 5 or Conception I and II? The 2D portraits become animated and they move around while talking/interacting. I really hope that is the case as it will look really really good.

If this is what I think it is then absolutely no thank you.

EDIT: It is what I thought it was. I'd rather have static images, personally.

Moonlight

Banned
Man, you fuckers just got me listening to Wiping All Out again. So good. That trumpet intro wipes the floor with Mass Destruction's onslaught of babies.

kewlmyc

Same. The fight with
Junpei and Koro-chan
legitimately gave me feels, and was really fun to boot.

It felt off to me because
Junpei and Koromaru had no reason to participate. They thought the whole thing was stupid so why were they going up against Aigis? They should have been defeated offscreen by Yukari and Mitsuru. It would have made more sense in the long run since it was supposed to be a tournament and it would have shown how serious Yukari was about the matter.

I'm not a princess
(lotta anger in it)
or a cutie girlfriend, oh-no
don't you know-

FeMC's music was great, except for her Tartarus boss theme.

CrazyDude

I wouldn't mind them moving around a bit more, but the problem with games you listed there is that character look like the way the character sway up and down just looks stupid.

Maybe I just want static images. I just don't like the way character move and look in those games.

Flashy rhymes coated with spangles
Add some sounds in it's times wrangles
Three dots connect to rectangles
They're no four sided triangles
Just like music sounds connectin' rambles

Edit: Actually alternate music is one of the best parts of the remakes by far. Meguro is mai one tru waifu

Hmm? I don't even remember Aigis having any influence on the story outside of the opening and the ending.

In fact, nobody did, because the mid section was just lame-ass flashbacks.

Yeah, Like I said the game does tend to drag on when you're going through all the doors, but the story pay off is good enough.

I do wonder how they're going to handle the presentation of the game. Talking portraits taking up 20 % of the screen would strike me as backwards if it's an HD game.

Then again, I doubt they're going to have the 3D models looking good enough to let the players focus solely on them. Kind of ruins it, since the player would feel detached from the characters.

Man, you fuckers just got me listening to Wiping All Out again. So good. That trumpet intro wipes the floor with Mass Destruction's onslaught of babies.

Nothing is more truther

Wiping All Out is the best fight theme

I guess "hating" is a word that could be used. I just think it's bland compared to her other music. I would say the same for Master of Tartarus if not for the drums.

h-how could somebody say these words in that order?

kewlmyc

I do wonder how they're going to handle the presentation of the game. Talking portraits taking up 20 % of the screen would strike me as backwards if it's an HD game.

Then again, I doubt they're going to have the 3D models looking good enough to let the players focus solely on them. Kind of ruins their image.

I have mixed feeling about it. Having talking heads feels un-"next gen" like but a Persona game without talking head portraits just feels wrong.

I hope they go the way they did with P3 and have multiple character portraits per main characters. It was a very minor thing that stood out to me when I played P3 (I played P4 first).

Sorry, but I'll always remain a fanboy of Mass Destruction. That "AWWWWWWYEEEAAHHHH" is great.

FluxWaveZ

Then again, I doubt they're going to have the 3D models looking good enough to let the players focus solely on them. Kind of ruins their image.

I don't understand. Catherine's models looked gorgeous, so if a Persona 5's models were graphically comparable to Catherine's, I'm not sure how that would ruin their image as the models being primary way the characters' looks are conveyed instead of static portraits (that may or may not blink and/or move their mouths).

CrazyDude

Then again, I doubt they're going to have the 3D models looking good enough to let the players focus solely on them. Kind of ruins it, since the player would feel detached from the characters.

My guess is that it will be the same as past persona game but with a more detailed surrounds ad sharper 3D character models.

Being widescreen will actually change a lot. Characters can't quite have their cutouts be the focus. P3P was a VN, and Golden got around this by being on the comparably small Vita screen, but I'm really interested as to how it'll feel on a big HD TV.

The talking heads are one of the things that give Persona games their charm, I would not want them gone...

maybe if they were slightly more animated...slightly... like if they talked along with the dialogue...but it'd have to be animated better than in arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom