• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Bar81

Anyone play Galactic Attack? Is it worth the $45+ it goes for?

Easily. It's one of the best shmups out there regardless of system and the conversion (particularly tate) is spot on. It's amazing for SS newbies that it's still affordable (in comparison to what's happened to the prices of the rest of the top shmups on that system).

I played quite a bit of Daytona USA with the wheel today. It was a bit confusing at first and I kind of felt like I was controlling a boat or a semi. Once I got the hang of it, I thought it controlled pretty well and I was doing a lot better than normal. I'm still not as good as I was when I was a kid but when I was a kid Daytona was like the only thing I played so that's understandable. I think it's definitely worth getting if you like racing games.

piggychan

Anyone play Galactic Attack? Is it worth the $45+ it goes for?

aka I think: Rayforce

I wished I had kept the UK/EU copy years around 96-ish ago but it was a time when 2D was "not cool" anymore...

Game has some great 2D effects in there
DRoXxA.gif

Easily. It's one of the best shmups out there regardless of system and the conversion (particularly tate) is spot on. It's amazing for SS newbies that it's still affordable (in comparison to what's happened to the prices of the rest of the top shmups on that system).

aka I think: Rayforce

I wished I had kept the UK/EU copy years around 96-ish ago but it was a time when 2D was "not cool" anymore...

Game has some great 2D effects in there
DRoXxA.gif

Awesome... thanks guys!!

I picked up a model 2 Saturn and a Gameshark at a local store earlier today. I flashed the Gameshark with Pseudo Saturn. Looking forward to playing some Dragon Force 2 in English this week. I remember importing it back in the day because of how great the first one was, but being in Japanese kept me from getting too into it.

It only came with composite cables. Can anyone recommend a good brand of S-Video?

I played quite a bit of Daytona USA with the wheel today. It was a bit confusing at first and I kind of felt like I was controlling a boat or a semi. Once I got the hang of it, I thought it controlled pretty well and I was doing a lot better than normal. I'm still not as good as I was when I was a kid but when I was a kid Daytona was like the only thing I played so that's understandable. I think it's definitely worth getting if you like racing games.

Which version of Daytona? I have the Circuit Championship edition.

I picked up a model 2 Saturn and a Gameshark at a local store earlier today. I flashed the Gameshark with Pseudo Saturn. Looking forward to playing some Dragon Force 2 in English this week. I remember importing it back in the day because of how great the first one was, but being in Japanese kept me from getting too into it.

It only came with composite cables. Can anyone recommend a good brand of S-Video?

Hmmm... GameGear/ Retro Bit reviews seem to indicate the quality is a bit shoddy, but works fine for $9;

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Sega-Saturn-S-Video-V-Cable/dp/B00FEO58G8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489986958&sr=8-1&keywords=sega+saturn+s+video

Or you can get the official OEM for about 1500-2000 Yen + shipping

http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t507674864

Hmmm... GameGear/ Retro Bit reviews seem to indicate the quality is a bit shoddy, but works fine for $9;

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Sega-Saturn-S-Video-V-Cable/dp/B00FEO58G8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489986958&sr=8-1&keywords=sega+saturn+s+video

Or you can get the official OEM for about 1500-2000 Yen + shipping

http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t507674864
Yeah, I wanted to stay away from the retrobit cables. I had them or a similar brand for snes that was total garbage. They are cheap and not true s-video. I ordered one of these instead http://www.ebay.com/itm/172566313869?rmvSB=true

Those official cables look nice though!

Yeah, I wanted to stay away from the retrobit cables. I had them or a similar brand for snes that was total garbage. They are cheap and not true s-video. I ordered one of these instead http://www.ebay.com/itm/172566313869?rmvSB=true

Those official cables look nice though!

Cool find! Give us an update once you get them.
I personally use the OEM S Video cables on the Saturn that I use on my CRT and SCART on my Saturn on the HDTV.

BTails

I wish I liked this game more. X4 is such a massive step up in quality at least, and my favorite Mega Man game.

Fun personal story about X4: I grew up playing Megaman games and loved the series. I was 10 in 1997 when X4 was coming out, and I was extremely excited. I kept asking my parents for it, but it was coming out after my birthday, so I wasn't expecting much.

Well, I had to get a LOT of dental work done that summer, so much so that I was scheduled to be put under so it could all be done in one go. The date that I was going to the dentist was the same day X4 was coming out. Being a bit terrified for this appointment, my parents said that they'd buy me the game afterwards.

I must've been really excited, because the second I woke up, still extremely groggy from the operation, I slurred: "Can we get Megaman now?". My dad, true to his word, went out the next morning before work and bought the game for me (Playstation version, as I didn't have a Saturn growing up)

Fun personal story about X4: I grew up playing Megaman games and loved the series. I was 10 in 1997 when X4 was coming out, and I was extremely excited. I kept asking my parents for it, but it was coming out after my birthday, so I wasn't expecting much.

Well, I had to get a LOT of dental work done that summer, so much so that I was scheduled to be put under so it could all be done in one go. The date that I was going to the dentist was the same day X4 was coming out. Being a bit terrified for this appointment, my parents said that they'd buy me the game afterwards.

I must've been really excited, because the second I woke up, still extremely groggy from the operation, I slurred: "Can we get Megaman now?". My dad, true to his word, went out the next morning before work and bought the game for me (Playstation version, as I didn't have a Saturn growing up)
lol that's an awesome story

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I always love stories like this. So happy for little BTails :)

haha this is great!!! Honestly, I thought you were much older because of your avatar lol

BTails

lol that's an awesome story

I always love stories like this. So happy for little BTails :)

haha this is great!!! Honestly, I thought you were much older because of your avatar lol

Haha, thanks, I figured you'd get a kick out of that one. I'm taking my parents word on my reaction after waking up, as I don't remember saying that at all, heh.

And yes Jake/Blast, I'm very mature for my age. Well, at least mature enough to know that I'd rather hang out in the retro threads on GAF! (I also grew up playing Sierra adventure games, both new and old, hence the avatar)

Jaeger

I wish I liked this game more. X4 is such a massive step up in quality at least, and my favorite Mega Man game.

X4 is great. One of my favorites. X3 is one of my faves as well. I love the 16-bit art style as well. Maybe a bit more than the 32-bit releases.

X3 is one of the best X games too, IMO. From the awesome bosses to the slightly different storyline (brainwashed enemy who is not the actual main baddy trope). They added lots of gameplay additions that still have yet to be seen again (the Ride Armor chip system is one) and the ability to switch between two characters on the fly (although in a limited capacity) was awesome too. Great music and graphics. Aside from some high points here an there, after X4 it was all down hill.

The Saturn version of X3 is also on PS1, which might be a better way to go about playing it.

Or PC, though I dunno if you can find a legit copy of that anymore.

Or X Collection for GC/PS2, I suppose. Based on the PS1 version, not the SNES version, for whatever reason.

Krelian

I'm not a fan of the arranged OST of the PS1/Saturn version of X3 at all. I wish they had at least used the SNES version in the X Collection. That said, any X3 is better than no X3 ;)

Jaeger

There are pros and cons to each version. It is true that the Saturn version lacks support for 256x224, which is the screen resolution of the SNES and PSX versions. So as with other similar ports from other systems the screen is bordered at 320x224. The game looks a bit squished (like Dracula X).

The Saturn has higher quality FMV and more frames of animation over the PSX version. It also has larger pallete of colors. Can't confirm but I believe its the same as the SNES original. The arranged music is a personal taste. I have been a sucker for good arranged tracks since the early days of CD video games so I was won over right away. Load times are horrible for both PSX and SAT.

The best way to play the game is via the SNES (with the Super Famicom version being the cheapest way to go). All other versions you have to decide what it is you want different from the original release and take the cons with it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
X3 was developed by the team that did the MM GB games and I think it shows. The level design is really not up to snuff with the other 2D X games, although I do like some of the music a lot. I also don't think the boss weapons are very interesting.

Jaeger

X3 was developed by the team that did the MM GB games and I think it shows. The level design is really not up to snuff with the other 2D X games, although I do like some of the music a lot. I also don't think the boss weapons are very interesting.

I actually like the GB MM titles! But I agree X2 had better levels of the earlier titles. I think that X2 and X3 had better levels to X1. I think the boss weapons were cool, but were way to effective on the other bosses via their weakness I mean it shuts them down; a trend that continued after X3 too. With that said I do like that it's not simply fire > ice, etc style weaknesses.

MikeMyers

So uh, so I might be moving to the UK soon. Was wondering if I should just bring my Saturn and get a power adapter (though I think I'd need a NTSC TV as well), or just get a PAL Saturn and play my current collection via Action Replay? Not sure how well NTSC games would play on PAL though.

Krelian

You don't need an NTSC TV to play your NTSC Saturn in the UK. If you're planning on taking your collection with you and have the extra room for it, you should just take your NTSC Saturn with you as well. Although it should work (i.e. all your games should play at the correct speed) I wouldn't use a PAL Saturn.

Top Bottom