• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're the Worst - Season 3 - Wednesdays on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xq2fqzT.jpg

You're the Worst is back for a third season airing Wednesdays on FXX. The first episode will air on August 31st. Seasons 1 and 2 are available on Hulu.

FX said:
You’re the Worst is an original, critically-acclaimed comedy series from Stephen Falk that takes a modern look at love and happiness told through the eyes of two people who haven’t been very successful with either. It’s the story of Gretchen and Jimmy; two lost souls who experience fear, heartbreak, romance, sex, food, Sunday Funday, and friendship in Los Angeles only to find that sometimes the worst people make the best partners.

The narcissistic, brash, and self-destructive “Jimmy Shive-Overly” (Chris Geere) thinks all relationships are doomed. The cynical, people-pleasing, and stubborn “Gretchen Culter” (Aya Cash) knows that relationships aren’t for her. After a whirlwind courtship, and a very rough post-cohabitation period of dealing with Gretchen’s clinical depression, Jimmy and Gretchen try to keep the good times rolling while confronting the terrifying fact that relationships grow and deepen even if the two individuals don’t. For Jimmy and Gretchen, the f-word is “family.”

Rounding out the cast is Desmin Borges who plays “Edgar Quintero,” Jimmy’s once homeless war veteran roommate who is struggling to manage his PTSD while forging a post-combat life. Kether Donohue plays “Lindsay Jillian,” Gretchen’s best friend and former partner in crime who’s exploring her identity after her loveless marriage was resurrected by a surprise pregnancy.

Hu0zwLq.jpg
A4TSeQJ.jpg

hN7RsuR.jpg
3Cl1YFb.jpg

Videos:
pF415SL.jpg

News:
xt8K6Vd.jpg

Reviews:
STL Today
Creator Stephen Falk deftly blends light and dark, comedy and tragedy, in pretty much every scene. Just when you’re wondering why these people would even hang out, one of them shares something honest and poignant enough to bring tears to your eyes. It’s a modern mix, and one that has worked increasingly well for “You’re the Worst” since its shaky first season.
Philly.com
One of the best comedies of the last few years is also, ironically, one of the most dramatic. Calling FXX's You're the Worst a rom-com feels reductive, but at it's heart, that's really what it is. And that's not a bad thing. It just happens to be pricklier, more cynical, and deeper than When Harry Met Sally . . . .
SF Chronicle
When it comes to screwed-up modern love, “You’re the Worst” is still the best.

LhwlASS.jpg

jasonng

I love this show so much. I absolutely loved the way they ended last season and I would've been perfectly satisfied if there wasn't a season 3.

BUT HELL YEAH I'm on board.

rossonero

I love this show so much. I absolutely loved the way they ended last season and I would've been perfectly satisfied if there wasn't a season 3.

BUT HELL YEAH I'm on board.

How dud the show end? I don't renember at all and hate ut when shows don't have a quick summary when the new season starts.

How dud the show end? I don't renember at all and hate ut when shows don't have a quick summary when the new season starts.
From wikipedia:
Becca and Vernon throw another party, this time to announce the sex of their child. Jimmy is upset that Gretchen won't take medication, and arrives determined to get as drunk as possible. Gretchen sets out to see what is so special about Nina. Edgar arrives at the party with Dorothy, intending to tell Jimmy he is moving out. Becca "accidentally" tells Paul that Lindsay is pregnant, causing him to have a crisis and setting off an attack of IBS. Vernon breaks into the bathroom to beg Paul for more money. Jimmy gets to his "angry drunk" stage and tells Edgar that Dorothy is manipulating him. Gretchen meets Nina at the bar and they bond over Jimmy's childish behavior. Gretchen tries to kiss Nina and is told to leave the bar. Edgar retracts his offer to move in with Dorothy, and she leaves in a huff. Paul believes he is the father of Lindsay's baby, and breaks up with Amy. Amy hits him, breaking his glasses. Jimmy reaches the "I love everyone" stage of drunkenness, and launches into a long speech to everyone at the party. Paul tries to reconnect with Lindsay, but she rebuffs him. Jimmy reaches the maudlin stage. He sees Edgar and tells him to pursue Dorothy. Vernon then confesses to everybody, about his fear of being a father, his emotional issues, his job, and his money problems. Horrified, Becca drags him inside the house. Gretchen arrives and takes Jimmy home. Paul sings a karaoke version of "Don't Know Much" after the guests have left, and Lindsay joins him in a love duet. Edgar finds Dorothy at the bus stop. She tells him it was just an ordinary fight and she is not breaking up with him. Paul and Lindsay leave in Paul's new motor scooter and sidecar rig, with Lindsay now looking horrified. Vernon and Becca are left in the ruins of their party. When Jimmy sobers up, Gretchen offers to get treatment, and tells him he said "something dark" when he was drunk. She then says, "I love you too".

Birbo

Wow, this came out of nowhere! Really enjoyed the first two seasons and I'm crazy attracted to Kether Donohue. Looking forward to this.

G0523

Hyped! Watched a couple season two episodes yesterday just to solidify going into season three. Can't wait!

Prax

I started watching this off and on with my husband and it's weirdly captivating despite them all being terrible people. XD

Maybe like a romantic version of Always Sunny.

Lindsay's my fave for being the most ridiculous yet into herself.

Strike

Been looking forward to this all summer. Second season was a real curveball and I ended up loving it. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Macka

This went from a fun throwaway comedy in S1, to one of the best shows on television in S2. Really looking forward to this!

- WeGotThisCovered review
With that heart fueled by lightning-in-a-bottle chemistry between Geere and Cash – the former somehow able to pull off ‘endearing asshole’ like no one else, the latter just a plain lovely treasure – You’re the Worst doesn’t only feel peerless, it feels special. It’s honest to its equally dead-inside characters, but also to the fleetingly deep and erratic emotions they come across when sorting their messy lives out.

beat

Instead, the four principles are on a massive soundstage in Atwater Village in a newly reconstructed set version of a real house they had been using as their home base for the past two seasons.

“I forgot what it’s like to go to an actual set every day,” Aya Cash, who plays Gretchen, tells me, saying she feels “spoiled” after two years of shooting entirely on location. The fact that the production was given the go-ahead to build a set for Jimmy’s house is indicative of the confidence FX has in the show that has become an anchor of its off-shoot network FXX’s lineup.
Oh yeah, ever since I read that the show was shot entirely on location, I was dreading what would happen if Jimmy's house was ever sold in real life. I wonder if we'll even be able to tell the difference between the set version and the real house.

- IndieWire: ‘You’re the Worst’ Review: TV’s Most Romantic Series Only Gets Better in Season 3
It’s also more real — a true feat for a show still skewing far more toward “comedy” than “dramedy” (a bullshit term, if necessary evil, in today’s day-and-age of “too much TV”). Jimmy and Gretchen, in all their hilarity, represent characters as complex as their creator. Falk knows both how to maximize the potential of his hostile protagonists to educate viewers on the complexities of intimacy, all without it ever feeling like anything close to a lesson. Grade: A

TheOddOne

- Atlantic: You’re the Worst Is Bleaker and Funnier Than Ever.
This is the rare comedy that feels like appointment television every week because of the dramatic pull of its plot arcs. But what makes You’re the Worst special is that most of the humor is wrung from the viewer’s investment in this ensemble of misfit toys. After the difficult twists and turns of its sophomore season, it seemed possible that there might not be a happy place for the show to rebound to. But season three managed to find a surprisingly cheerful starting point—even if all signs indicate that You’re the Worst is once again bravely heading into some grim unexplored territory.
- Rolling Stone: 'You're the Worst': How TV's Anti-Romcom Grew Up While Staying a Hot Mess.

beat

http://deadline.com/2016/08/fx-work...e-worst-stephen-falk-eva-anderson-1201811084/

Every single one of the original writing staff (they're still on for S3) has a show bought by FX now, all with Falk as an EP.
[Radicalocity, with Eva Anderson, is Falk's] fourth sale under his overall deal with FX Networks and FX Prods. The others include two other collaborations with You’re the Worst writers, an untitled comedy with Alison Bennett and Join Me with Franklin Hardy and Shane Kosakowski.

- The Atlantic: You’re the Worst Is Bleaker and Funnier Than Ever
This is the rare comedy that feels like appointment television every week because of the dramatic pull of its plot arcs. But what makes You’re the Worst special is that most of the humor is wrung from the viewer’s investment in this ensemble of misfit toys. After the difficult twists and turns of its sophomore season, it seemed possible that there might not be a happy place for the show to rebound to. But season three managed to find a surprisingly cheerful starting point—even if all signs indicate that You’re the Worst is once again bravely heading into some grim unexplored territory.

- Warming Glow: The Season Three Premiere Of ‘You’re The Worst’ Illustrates That The Hard Part Comes After ‘I Love You’
Despite the hard truths, You’re the Worst is, at its heart, a very funny show. Brandon Mychal Smith’s petulant rapper Sam continues to be the secret MVP. While many were left to wonder if the show could even be classified as a comedy after last season’s serious themes (trash juice notwithstanding), this premiere serves as a reminder that it is still very much the show that people fell in love with. It may be growing into a more mature portrayal of bad behavior, but that just means that we have to grow along with it.

Sotha Sil

Your dedication to this series is much appreciated, Cornballer! Very exciting news all around, seems like we're in for a good season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom