• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ozark - Official Trailer (Netflix original series starring Jason Bateman)

theWB27

I enjoy serious bateman as much as comedic. The cartel is ruthless. Me and the gf will definitely try and binge the rest.

Didn't quite stick the landing as well as I hoped it would but it was still pretty fucking solid. I think it's worth watching though just for Jason Bateman's performance alone, which is beyond amazing. The rest of the cast is really good too. The flash back episode about halfway through was really well done and a nice bit of background that totally wasn't needed but appreciated.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I can't tell if this Snail guy is actually moving his mouth enough to talk or if he had to be completely ADR'd.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm watching the second episode right now and this show is so relentlessly dark...I mean Sweet Jesus.

At least Breaking Bad had Hank and Gomez joking around and Jesse being funny at the beginning. Walt in his underwear was kind of amusing too.

Imagine this show 5 seasons in...lol

I think for the setup that sense of crushing burden is no bad thing. They can always recalibrate going forward.

Ruth is hilarious

Ruth is great. She's got a nothing to lose tenacity to her that is both admirable and scary. Great casting on her part.

So far its definitely watchable. But it's not particularly good. It's what it looks like, a shameless breaking bad ripoff that feels like a algorithim made.

It's humorless, has a bad voice over, and Bateman is not that interesting in this role. You can't escape the constant Breaking Bad comparison since it so vigorously strives to be that show, but it fails in every single regard. It has many tone deaf scenes of bad suspense, whereas Breaking Bad just never had that problem.

I love the Netflix model, of dumping all the episodes in one go. But that doesn't allow the conventional method of being able to tailor your episodes through critical and audience reaction, and that definitely hurts Netfix.

Kadayi

Banned
I love the Netflix model, of dumping all the episodes in one go. But that doesn't allow the conventional method of being able to tailor your episodes through critical and audience reaction, and that definitely hurts Netfix.

BB was kind of mapped out on a season to season basis. Sure they brought back fan favourites and actors/characters they liked as the show progressed and let that guide their broad narrative of 'from Mr Chips to Scarface' but let's not fool ourselves into thinking Gilligan et al were tweaking things in a reactionary way mid season to fan feedback like Lindelof and Cuse tried with LOST with largely disastrous consequences to their world building.

If Ozark gets approval for a second season I dare say the writers will be reviewing the show's formula and recalibrating accordingly.

BB was kind of mapped out on a season to season basis. Sure they brought back fan favourites and actors/characters they liked as the show progressed and let that guide their broad narrative of 'from Mr Chips to Scarface' but let's not fool ourselves into thinking Gilligan et al were tweaking things in a reactionary way mid season to fan feedback like Lindelof and Cuse tried with LOST with largely disastrous consequences to their world building.

If Ozark gets approval for a second season I dare say the writers will be reviewing the show's formula and recalibrating accordingly.

Yeah, you're right, they probably will. Well they did change a lot mid season for the first one, but it perhaps has nothing to do with audience reaction. TV is still shot episode to episode.

Aren't most Netflix seasons just shot like a movie? All scenes on one location shot together.

And most TV, maybe not Breaking Bad since it was pretty short, are still shooting episodes after the premier. I think there's like something of a 7 episode leeway. Might be even less for some shows.

My guess is Ozark will get renewed for another season. I think this will be a hit. I need to watch more before final judgement. But it's pretty cool. I definitely appreciate the effort, and its not bad at all.

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah, you're right, they probably will. Well they did change a lot mid season for the first one, but it perhaps has nothing to do with audience reaction. TV is still shot episode to episode.

Aren't most Netflix seasons just shot like a movie? All scenes on one location shot together.

I don't imagine there's a hard and fast rule, I guess a lot depends on the economics of what's involved from a production viewpoint. Especially taking into account extras etc. Stuff like the river preacher scenes, for instance, I could see being done in one go because having to corral all those boats and extra's would be a huge pain in the ass I suspect, versus carrying out a few costume changes for the principal actors involved.

Enco

Just finished it.

There's no reason for it to have humor. Not every show is meant to be a comedy.

It slows down after the pilot but it's still enjoyable. There are definitely loose ends that open things up for a second season. I hope there is one.

I'm not a big fan of the ending. It wasn't very satisfying and there's little closure imo.
The heroin dealers should have died and the family shouldn't have come back. That was pretty dumb. Hopefully the priest goes rambo and tries to get revenge.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm not a big fan of the ending. It wasn't very satisfying and there's little closure imo.
The heroin dealers should have died and the family shouldn't have come back. That was pretty dumb. Hopefully the priest goes rambo and tries to get revenge.

I don't know.
I like the flipping of expectations. It would have been the obvious thing for the Cartel guys to come in and clean house for the operation to proceed. The Hillbillies being the real threat makes for a more interesting take, coupled with the Hillbilly matriarch being quite volatile. Certainly, they've left a lot of threads undone, but that's the hook. Will the Cartel shrug off their losses and just proceed with the proposal? Who will they send as their replacement handler? What will their relationship be like with Marty? What about Rachel making off with a couple of million? How far is she going to get? How is Ruth going to proceed, especially given her fathers rejection? Also what happens when he inevitably gets out of prison? Also indeed what will the preacher do? Lots of scope for exploration going forward. As for the family. I think there's just the acceptance on their part that running means they'd definitely be spending the rest of their lives looking over their shoulders, where as at least this way they know where they stand

Makareu

Just watched the first 3 episodes and so far the cast is incredible, especially Marty and Ruth.
Looking forward to see where the season will go.

Just finished the season. I don't think they ever explicitly state what happened to
Grace
, do they? Did they really
cut her baby out of her and dump her body somewhere? How and where was her body found?

Kadayi

Banned
Just finished the season. I don't think they ever explicitly state what happened to
Grace
cut her baby out of her and dump her body somewhere? How and where was her body found?
Probably dead, but who knows. Those Hillbilly's own a lot of land, as established in the finale, so there's always the possibility that they could have her stashed somewhere alive, but I think it's more likely they killed her and disposed of the body across their estate.

Enco

I don't know.
I like the flipping of expectations. It would have been the obvious thing for the Cartel guys to come in and clean house for the operation to proceed. The Hillbillies being the real threat makes for a more interesting take, coupled with the Hillbilly matriarch being quite volatile. Certainly, they've left a lot of threads undone, but that's the hook. Will the Cartel shrug off their losses and just proceed with the proposal? Who will they send as their replacement handler? What will their relationship be like with Marty? What about Rachel making off with a couple of million? How far is she going to get? How is Ruth going to proceed, especially given her fathers rejection? Also what happens when he inevitably gets out of prison? Also indeed what will the preacher do? Lots of scope for exploration going forward. As for the family. I think there's just the acceptance on their part that running means they'd definitely be spending the rest of their lives looking over their shoulders, where as at least this way they know where they stand
All good points. They did a good job of making them awful people so next season should be interesting.

Grace
This is probably the saddest part of the story for me. I'm guessing that's what happened. No reason to believe otherwise.
The lack of closure makes it 10x worse. I feel for the preacher...

Ducarmel

Liked the show a lot, will gladly come back for season 2

Grace

The last conversation between the Mason and Snell was clear, their principles and words meant everything to them and they will stand by them.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
The first episode was incredibly dull. Not feeling this at all. It's not that bad, it just doesn't seem to have anything interesting to say. I'll give it two or three more episodes, but I'm probably out.

Dereck

The first episode was incredibly dull. Not feeling this at all. It's not that bad, it just doesn't seem to have anything interesting to say. I'll give it two or three more episodes, but I'm probably out.
I get this point of view. Maybe you're looking for more than how long can he do this before he gets caught?

Kinda lost interest after finishing EP3. Something about the redneck part of the cast and the pure absurdity of some of the plot took me out of the show tbh.

Dadasch

After 7 episodes I have some gripes about it but i do like it a whole lot more than the first BB season. Not that big of a deal considering I wasn't very fond of the latter...

I do like the pace, but I think that it ruined a lot of believability in return.
He basically tells everyone his whole illegal business, which leads to new problems and on and on. Every fucking time.
Having that kind of "Boss" behind you, giving your secrets away is the last of the very last resorts.

Aselith

I think the things it's saying are largely about the symbiosis between economies and drug money which you wouldnt have seen yet having watched the first episode

Do you normally turn movies off after ten minutes with that decleration?

oatmeal

Banned
Excited to jump in. I thought ti was a movie when I saw the trailer...then I go to watch and it's 10 episodes, with the finale being 80mins?

My God.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Watched the first two episodes today and enjoyed them. Though with my girlfriend watching Schitts Creek right now I can't help but draw comparisons.

Kinda lost interest after finishing EP3. Something about the redneck part of the cast and the pure absurdity of some of the plot took me out of the show tbh.

I found myself very surprised at how non stereotypical all of the "rednecks" actually are as the plot moves forward. I found all of the Langmores especially to have an interesting amount of depth.

sfedai0

Banned
Just finished. Solid show but felt like it could have used 2-3 more episodes. The pacing started to fall apart towards the end and everything felt rushed. Definitely left it open for a S2.

-Stranger-

Just finished it, great show.
Depressing in a way but with some dark humor.

Hope the Snells die especially the wife

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
that was great. It takes a lot of the good parts of other shows and mixes them up with an interesting story

I really like how blunt everyone is. No dragging things out because people don't talk or answer questions.

also, there's always money in the banana stand blue cat

I don't get this complaint. There's a lot of humor in this show.

Granted, a lot of it stems from the absurdity of the situation and the subversion of how the tropes play out, but there's definitely a sense of humor at play here.

This. I would never call it a comedy, but trying to describe it to my friends definitely involved some..."and the shit gets so ridiculous you just have to laugh."

Dreez

This show is dope as fuck...

Marty teaching his son how to launder lol

Ruth's whole arc, wow

Del Rio was a formidable motherfucker

A lot of little charming scenes like when Tuck tells Ruth she's pretty

That cold open of Tuck buying a gun was fuckin crazy before you find out it was for Marty's son. And then you're wondering why the fuck does Marty's son need all that. And then you later find out that was a flash forward.

Damn there's just too much to unpack, this would've been a good ass weekly tv show.

One of my favorite little things (full season spoilers below)...

was when you realize that even the purchasing of the hamburgers for the "$5 burger and beer with fill-up deal" was a way to launder money lol

It actually makes me wonder now about some of the places I've been and I wonder how in the world they can stay in business.

One of my favorite little things (full season spoilers below)...
My favorite moment was
that sex scene between Martin and Wendy. Jesus fucking Christ at how deliciously twisted that moment was as both of them in turn realize what they're doing. Martin seeing Wendy as if it was the video (framed the same way in the shot), and then Wendy reacting to Martin slapping her ass. And both of them, disturbed, kept going through the motions.

Top Bottom