• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joint Chiefs: No modification of trans- policy until SecDef issues official guidance

What if Obama did this.

There would probably be a slightly confused/muddled Republican outcry about how his actions are dishonoring American service members and veterans and reducing our wartime readiness at a pivotal time.

And just general uproar from Democrats.

G0523

Even though the Joint Chiefs said that there's no changes "for now" this is still leaps and bounds much better than the shitstorm from yesterday.

This is still a shitshow for anyone who is trans. Anyone openly serving has been marked by the Trump as someone who they don't want. There is the chance that Trump just forgets this was something he even wanted to do though.

This is still a shitshow for anyone who is trans. Anyone openly serving has been marked by the Trump as someone who they don't want. There is the chance that Trump just forgets this was something he even wanted to do though.

More to the point, there's a chance he decides it's going to be actually difficult and decides he doesn't care enough, since most of the sources we have say it wasn't his idea to begin with so much as something he thought he could do in <5 minutes to win support for his own policy pushes.

boingball

Obviously the "policy" is unconstitutional and would be shut down by any court but still it is nice to see that the military is not blindly following "orders" here. (Quotation marks since we are talking about a tweet).

Dr.Acula

Banned
There needs to be a formal process for policy, otherwise it's just the king musing "won't someone rid me of this transgender priest?" Tweets can't be it.

Like, if in front of the boy scouts Trump just started ranting, "great military, best military, we have the best troops, and do you remember those top-hats they wear? I love those top-hats," and then everyone in the military had to scramble around for top-hats.

Xe4

Banned
I mean...fuck...

how nice of you guys...
I'm fairly certain that was a jab at Trump. How they treat their personnel (at least in terms of who is or is not allowed to serve) is up to the president and the Sec Def, the Joint Chiefs of Staff really have limited input as far as that goes.

WedgeX

Banned
Isn't this literally "We haven't got any paperwork to change anything so we aren't doing anything until we get it, but when we do, we'll do it".

It's a much different response from the announcement of the Muslim travel ban, where TSA started denying people entry before guidance was given.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
They're so fucking bad at this. They're so terrible at running this country. I'm not even making a Republican vs Democrat point here. They're just terrible at the job. Total incompetence, and complete lack of protocol and respect for our establishments and institutions. Guess that's what you get when you hire a bunch of egomaniacs with zero experience.

Every day Trump pisses off more people and loses valuable allies. It's just fumble after fumble after fumble. I can't help wondering where all this is headed. At some point, something's gotta give. Jesus, it's gonna be a mess.

So essentially the punted this back and said "try doing this the proper way" hoping that their superiors can shut this down in talks with Trump so it doesn't happen?

Top Bottom