• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - New Screenshots

Chettlar

Banned
I'm not certain that PC players would be satisfied with a port. I know that the primary reason I buy multi-plat games on PC is for better and more extensive graphical options moreso than just kb/m. I'm also not certain Bungie would be happy with porting for the sake of porting (could be wrong).

In any case everything they've said points to them not wanting to work on a PC version for simultaneous launch.

Also, I just remembered, did they say they already have an internal PC version? I believe there was even a thread about it.

Also, I just remembered, did they say they already have an internal PC version? I believe there was even a thread about it.

Yes, but they've had internal PC versions of a lot of their games.

While Osborne wouldn't be heavily drawn into talking about a PC version of the upcoming shooter, he reiterated what we've heard from him before: it's a possibility, but don't expect it any time soon.

"It’s a huge challenge to ship four platforms and a massive opportunity to reach a new audience," he said. "We know there are a lot of people out there asking for PC and we know that there are a lot of gamers that would willingly give us money, but what we have to do is make sure we’re focused enough to bring a good experience to any platform that we ship on. What we 100 percent are not going to do is spread ourselves so thin that it negatively harms the other platforms. So right now we have the four platforms, which is a lot to focus on."

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/destiny-devs-talk-space-travel-pc-and-microtransactions

thats-good.gif

Dysun

My most hyped game this year, can't wait for another big blowout of media. Hopefully we get some word on the beta at E3 or before

I agree with others, I'm hyped because I love Bungie, but damn I wish they would clarify a little bit about what they're offering. How does MP work? What kind of world am I looking at? Squads are said to be three people, but can I merge two squads if I want to play with 6 friends?

Bungie could get me really, really excited just by showing some bigger scale encounters which is what made Halo campaigns stand out. Aside from the medium scale one they showed off at E3 with that seamless Public Event, I'm not really seeing the big scope of this game at all. I understand it's still 9 months away, but nothing's really impressed me at all so far. I do want to be excited, and I like the color palette they're working with, but it just strikes me as Halo: But Different Edition right now.

Elixist

Looks pretty good, im ready like many others to know more. I just hope it has great pvp gameplay and the rest is icing for me.

looks so boring, but I really really really really really want to be dissuaded by some more gameplay vids. I'd love to have this mixture of story, FPS gameplay, and massive multiplayer coop to work. Though maybe its not for me, since Borderlands could never ring with me.

Still be getting this day one though

Grief.exe

Visit the SEGA PC port thread. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC port took literally 4 people. 4 people! There are certainly enough PC gamers to warrant spending the money on a port for Destiny.

I would think a port of Destiny would take significantly more people to setup the online infrastructure effectively.
Bungie is probably using the console holder's backend to integrate with their game and setup the matchmaking. More difficult on PC as that type of architecture doesn't exist, you have to create it.

In any case everything they've said points to them not wanting to work on a PC version for simultaneous launch.

Seems to be the reality of the situation.

Pretty much agree with everyone else in this thread. I love Bungie, and this new world they're creating looks like its gonna be really cool (including the art), but I just havent seen any actual gameplay that has me hyped.

I don't care much, but this game does look very "Haloesque."

If you told me that this game was 3,000 years into the future of Halo when there's just one city left, I would totally believe you.

unwritt3n

Banned
For some reason I feel this is going to suck. But have no reasons as to why. Only until I play will I be proven otherwise. Or more details released :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bungie could get me really, really excited just by showing some bigger scale encounters which is what made Halo campaigns stand out. Aside from the medium scale one they showed off at E3 with that seamless Public Event, I'm not really seeing the big scope of this game at all. I understand it's still 9 months away, but nothing's really impressed me at all so far. I do want to be excited, and I like the color palette they're working with, but it just strikes me as Halo: But Different Edition right now.
I don't think big battles are the kind of scale they're talking about. I think vast environments, multiple planets, and space travel is what they mean by scale.

I don't think big battles are the kind of scale they're talking about. I think vast environments, multiple planets, and space travel is what they mean by scale.

Not having Scarab battle equivalents would be a huge mistake IMO, especially with the way you can seamlessly run into other players and all end up in the same event. That would be a big missed opportunity.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but without free roaming space travel 'multiple planets' is as good as saying 'multiple levels'. And vast environments aren't so special without large scale combat encounters or gameplay that makes full use of them.

But yeah, this is Bungie, so they get the benefit of the doubt. But when it comes to scale, I have yet to grasp it, and its more me trying to understand how other posters already seem amazed by the scale and less about what Bungie has actually said.

Game is about 9 months out, I don't see where the rush is to flush every detail about out. If anything I want to be in the dark about the vast majority of this game. I hate how media cycles for games go these days where you know almost everything about a game before it ships.

New screens from newer builds is fine with me, shows how the progression is going. It looks alot better from the PS4 reveal.

This is starting to feel a lot like Warframe the FPS edition.

I've been thinking this for months. I agree.

Eh, why show much now? All you need to do at this point is build some base level knowledge of the brand and an undercurrent of excitement.

E3 and Summer they will start to slam us with information.

At this point most customers aren't making buying decisions about titles that far out. Why waste your marketing dollars on an effort to sustain hype over a 9 month period when you can concentrate those same resources into a 3 month period.

That and it behooves them to start the blitz post Titanfall/InFamous/whatever else big comes out before E3. Because those titles are going to suck a lot of wind out of the room.

All valid points. However, if they don't have an E3 blowout, I might become a bit worried.

Nice switch from that bland Halo art.

I agree with you that it looks far better than Halo's style, but you can still see some of it in the game, particularly the 6th shot and the last one. It clearly still has some of that Halo look to it.

GhaleonEB

Right, but while we've seen multiple planets and several environments, they've talked a lot about open environments, explorable regions and so on. Spaces so vast you'll want to explore them with your personal vehicle. Right now we've seen a series of small to medium environments and skirmishes. The backdrops are huge, but they were huge in Halo as well - just not explorable.

And they've done a poor job explaining how the game as a whole works.

There's still plenty of time for this sort of thing - and a public beta has a way of answering questions. It's just odd to me that after so many years of development and many months of reveals that we don't have a clear picture of what Destiny really is. What they've shown makes me really want to find out.

Xyber

If someone were to tell me that this was a Halo game, I would've believed them. While the design is pretty great, I think it would have been nicer if they tried to go a different route with the design for this game. Step out of that comfort zone a bit. Because right now most of these screens just really remind me of Halo Reach.

The graphics engine they are using probably has a lot of that Halo Reach engine in it too, because tech-wise it looks very similar in some ways.

Still hyped and hoping for an announcement of a PC version, even if it will be out later. Otherwise I'll just get it for PS4.

I absolutely love the artwork in this game. It's half way between Halo and Mass Effect, and I always love the terrain and weapon models Bungie put together. However...

I feel like it's the 3rd or 4th time I've seen these screens or some variation of them.

The promotional campaign for this game by Bungie/Activision has been extremely lackluster so far, especially the incredibly bland trailers.

I really agree with this as well. They've done a crap job of marketing this so far; they're keeping their cards too close to their chest.

Monocle

I like the diverse environments. Hope this is just a sample.

Right, but while we've seen multiple planets and several environments, they've talked a lot about open environments, explorable regions and so on. Spaces so vast you'll want to explore them with your personal vehicle. Right now we've seen a series of small to medium environments and skirmishes. The backdrops are huge, but they were huge in Halo as well - just not explorable.

There's still plenty of time for this sort of thing - and a public beta has a way of answering questions. It's just odd to me that after so many years of development and many months of reveals that we don't have a clear picture of what Destiny really is. What they've shown makes me really want to find out.
This is what I want most of all. Let me roam, Bungie. Give us a world worth exploring.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'll play the safe bet and say this will get about 75 made up E3 awards and will be a GOTY contender whether it deserves it or not.

That said, I hope its pretty good.

Does this game have a protagonist? I really hope the characters have personalities but from all I've seen, you're just running from dungeon to arena with as little scripted character moments as possible and that's super weird if they insist on having a campaign mode.

This. I get that it's still a few months away but the fact that there are so many questions about the basic structure of the game that remain unanswered is odd. It's almost as if they're following the Halo formula of revealing the game which doesn't make any sense given how their former entry was a straightforward fps.

Does this game have a protagonist? I really hope the characters have personalities but from all I've seen, you're just running from dungeon to arena with as little scripted character moments as possible and that's super weird if they insist on having a campaign mode.

I think you create the character you play as and there won't be a central protagonist, so to speak. Maybe you can choose a voice and they'll speak, but I suspect in this sense it'll be closer to either KotOR or Fallout than Dragon Age II.

Yeah, I strongly agree with this. There's been a lot of vidocs telling us how remarkable it is, how forward-thinking it it will be and how it blends lots of styles and ideas together, but there's been very little footage to actually back any of this up. I am hyped and I think it will be great, but the marketing has just been bad so far.

I think you create the character you play as and there won't be a central protagonist, so to speak. Maybe you can choose a voice and they'll speak, but I suspect in this sense it'll be closer to either KotOR or Fallout than Dragon Age II.

Yeah, I strongly agree with this. There's been a lot of vidocs telling us how remarkable it is, how forward-thinking it it will be and how it blends lots of styles and ideas together, but there's been very little footage to actually back any of this up. I am hyped and I think it will be great, but the marketing has just been bad so far.

Along with this, I think they have yet to prove that the core gameplay mechanics (the shooting, the movement, the enemy behavior), is all that interesting.

KOHIPEET

Shots look awesome. I'll probably sink hundreds of hours into this game.

I'll probably buy another PS4 so I can play with my brother lol.

Chettlar

Banned
I would think a port of Destiny would take significantly more people to setup the online infrastructure effectively.
Bungie is probably using the console holder's backend to integrate with their game and setup the matchmaking. More difficult on PC as that type of architecture doesn't exist, you have to create it.

Certainly true, but why couldn't they work with steam in that case? I would think that would be both a boon to them and a positive to consumers. Steam already has the online infrustrcutre and everything just like XBL and PSN.

Actually, if it does come to PC, I fully expect Steam integration.

Hindle

Banned
They've been showing the same level for what seems ages now. For a studio who wants this to be as iconic as Star Wars, they're doing a really poor job of building hype. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if the game is delayed either.

Edit. That being said, the art is superb, and the monster design looks awesome. I'm not a fan of the main character design though.

broony

Need a new stage demo of this soon. I agree they could do more to explain the game's design and the systems it's uses. I am already sold on the art, environments, character design and sound design.

Top Bottom