• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods 14 not likely for Wii U

I doubt EA will have the same flawed 2012.5 games on the Next Gen platforms as it does on Wii U
no growing pains no delayed titles this is just a Nintendo thing, no TW on Wii U is not shocking.

Anth0ny

A conversation with Reggie would go like this:

J: Why doesn't the Wii U have major third party games, and why isn't it going to receive any in the future?
R: Nintendo rocks, everything about us is awesome, anyone who disagrees is a meanie loser.
J: Wat?

More like:

J: "Why aren't there any third party games on Wii U?

R: "We have third party games on the Wii U!"

J: "Like what?"

R: "We have Batman, Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, three of the biggest third party games in the world!"

J: "Right, but there doesn't seem to be anything coming in the future..."

R: "Look. Geoff. GEOFF. We have fantastic support from Platinum Games, who are developing two games exclusively on Wii U. We have Zombi U from Ubisoft which has had rave reviews, and Rayman Legends coming later this year. I believe Wii U has fantastic third party support."

And so on. They think they have good third party support, and that scares me.

noffles

Banned
If EA really is shunning the Wii U over an Origin deal that didn't happen, I don't get why, it's not like Nintendo went with a competitor.

Is there an Origin application that comes with any of the EA games that hit on launch day? I'm pretty sure Ubisoft got Uplay on there day 1, so maybe it's something to do with that.

Just a hunch, really.

No they don't, they're just playing the crowd.

SmokyDave

Basically yes was a tight timeline to deliver a quality experience. Nintendo was too tight lipped for too long. Believe it or not EA plans its iterative titles about a year in advance, so when you are planning a new SKU to support and you have nothing but big question marks you tend to worry.

I think it was the right call in the end. Unless yall wanted a gimped version with last minute gamepad gimmicks :/

But next year.... :D
How come FIFA made it out? Larger team?

Skyzard

Banned
More like:

R: "We have Batman, Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, three of the biggest third party games in the world!"

R: "Look. Geoff. GEOFF. We have fantastic support from Platinum Games, who are developing two games exclusively on Wii U. We have Zombi U from Ubisoft which has had rave reviews, and Rayman Legends coming later this year. I believe Wii U has fantastic third party support."

It's just (imaginary) PR, they want to convince you. At least it should give you hope that they might do something else to work towards that goal too. Like speeding up their first party production so the userbase actually has a chance to grow with the hardcore for third parties to be interested. Not that I want rushed nintendo games, but damn, spend some money.

If EA really is shunning the Wii U over an Origin deal that didn't happen, I don't get why, it's not like Nintendo went with a competitor.

They delivered ME3, FIFA, and Madden on launch day. All I see is paranoid delusions when people claim EA is out to get Nintendo. They make business decisions like everyone else. If they see money to be made on Wii U, they'll go after it.

radcliff

Basically yes was a tight timeline to deliver a quality experience. Nintendo was too tight lipped for too long. Believe it or not EA plans its iterative titles about a year in advance, so when you are planning a new SKU to support and you have nothing but big question marks you tend to worry.

I think it was the right call in the end. Unless yall wanted a gimped version with last minute gamepad gimmicks :/

So, for next year, should we expect a straight PS3/X360 port w/ some Gamepad functionality, an enhanced (graphically) PS3/X360 up-port w/ some Gamepad functionality, or a down-port from Orbis/Durango w/ Gamepad functionality?

EDarkness

Actually wanted the Wii version with motion plus support. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

Is there an Origin application that comes with any of the EA games that hit on launch day? I'm pretty sure Ubisoft got Uplay on there day 1, so maybe it's something to do with that.

Just a hunch, really.

No they don't, they're just playing the crowd.

you don't really need an Origin app those EA games force Origin sign in on you anyway

Arkam

They delivered ME3, FIFA, and Madden on launch day. All I see is paranoid delusions when people claim EA is out to get Nintendo. They make business decisions like everyone else. If they see money to be made on Wii U, they'll go after it.

Yep, Wiiu support was decided franchise by franchise (or busines unit really).
You had to see a profit or it was a no go. And unless it was only at the VERY senior level there was no butthurt over origin. Thats all just the web making things dramatic.

You had to see a profit or it was a no go. And unless it was only at the VERY senior level there was no butthurt over origin. Thats all just the web making things dramatic.

I find it very hard to believe they didn't profit off of FIFA...like I posted earlier, the only changed were adding gamepad functions to the Wii version

I find it very hard to believe they didn't profit off of FIFA...like I posted earlier, the only changed were adding gamepad functions to the Wii version
Ports aren't free.
So does EA simply not see the business case for Madden 25 - or is there something preventing announcement?

Nintendo-Wii-U.jpg

Shame

Why is the person CG?

EDarkness

We're still waiting for that "unprecedented partnership". Nothing going on now is anywhere remotely close to that...so SOMETHING happened between them.

And EA saw profit in ME3 over MET?

Haunted

Do you know why that is? It's because Camelot who developed it created Everybody's/Hot Shots/ Minna No Golf as well as Mario Golf I believe.
I thought Minna no Golf was Clap Hanz, but it looks like the earliest games were actually done by Camelot.

That explains that, indeed.

We're still waiting for that "unprecedented partnership". Nothing going on now is anywhere remotely close to that...so SOMETHING happened between them.
Could also be lip service.

I keep wanting to make an unprecedentedly bad joke, but you know... Dreamcast.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is actually a bit of surprise to me. The EA Sports games usually gets out on "every" platform (at least for consoles). Hopefully for WiiU only owners and Nintendo, Tiger Woods is the only title this goes for, and not for Madden, Fifa and NHL as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay an EA game that's coming to every known platform and not Wii U is concerning. I expected third party support to last at least a teensie bit longer.

I thought Minna no Golf was Clap Hanz, but it looks like the earliest games were actually done by Camelot.

That explains that, indeed.

Only the first one was made by Camelot I believe. The rest are by Clap Hanz. What's interesting about that is the fact that Clap Hanz are independent but yet have only done Minna No Golf games.

I believe most software is having the issue there. Has CoD even surpassed 100k?

Yea, it's surpassed that

Can't remember the exact figures but I think it's over 100k in the US in the alone. A mod posted the figures in one of the sales threads along with numbers for zombiU

Cwarrior

More like:

Spot on, pretty much every interview with reggie.

PetrCobra

Nintendo should just make a sports division. And I mean serious sports, not Mario games (although I love those).

If third parties think passing Nintendo hardware is a good idea then good luck to them, they did it before with Wii, missed the opportunity and spent the rest of the generation not getting the Wii market at all, and trying to fill it with crappy waggled ports and unwanted "exclusive" shovelware.

Good luck to them I say, but Nintendo should not let this become their own disadvantage like they did before.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Do you rework your gen3 games to work on WiiU (which is struggling and not the home of the EA sports demographic) OR do you prepare your franchises for the upcoming boxes (taht do house EA sports fans)?

They can always port frojm Gen3 to WiiU later... but only one chance to jump to "next Gen" with consumers on Orbis/Durango.

Its just playing the odds.

This here is the problem Nintendo faces, and let's be honest has done little to solve- the default position with publishers is that 2 systems that will not have a userbase for another 9-10 months are better bets than a platform already launched!

I'm not judging whether that is wise of 3rd parties or not, but it is undoubtedly the reality- 3rd parties are invested in creating a userbase for their games on Sony and Microsoft platforms- they have zero interest in making that investment on the Wii U.

Just fascinating.

EDarkness

I believe most software is having the issue there. Has CoD even surpassed 100k?

Hasn't Nintendo shipped over 5 million pieces of third party software? I thought there was something about that in their financials a few weeks ago.

Either way, so many Wii U versions of games are gimped as hell. I was going to buy NBA 2k13, but the damn server issue turned me off. I check Miiverse almost every day to see if it has been fixed, but alas. I was going to get Mass Effect 3, but why the hell would anyone buy that version in the state it's in now? They must think people are stupid or something.

It also bothers me to think that so many people in these sales threads just expect people to buy games, because. Why would anyone who was looking for games to pick up buy gimped games? Either way, I thought that Sonic Racing did fairly well on the Wii U as well as ZombiU.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This here is the problem Nintendo faces, and let's be honest has done little to solve- the default position with publishers is that 2 systems that will not have a userbase for another 9-10 months are better bets than a platform already launched!

I'm not judging whether that is wise of 3rd parties or not, but it is undoubtedly the reality- 3rd parties are invested in creating a userbase for their games on Sony and Microsoft platforms- they have zero interest in making that investment on the Wii U.

Just fascinating.

I feel I should note that EA openly said they were working on Gen 4 versions of FIFA and Madden as early as their E3 Investor Breakfast back in June 2012, so it seems they've been diverting resources to work on this for a while now, implying this decision was made quite a while ago to boot.

Top Bottom