• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

cdyhybrid

Wait, what's the competitive disadvantage? The SEC and ACC are the only ones still doing 8 conference games right?

Though I'd sympathize mightily with the likes of Florida & Georgia if/when we expand. Having to play 9 SEC teams + an OOC P5 every year? Yikes.

Could be worse, some teams have to play 9 ACC teams and an OOC P5 every year.

ryseing

I've been hoping the SEC would expand for a minute, if only because it's utterly stupid that we go so long without playing cross-divisional teams. Saban is facing Vandy for the second time since he came to Tuscaloosa this season. We haven't played South Carolina since 2010.

That doesn't make any sense. What's even the point of being in a conference, then?

No idea what the timetable on expansion would look like, but I'll be happy to see the Big XII go. It's not even remotely entertaining these days

You clearly don't enjoy 63-57 shootouts. I'll take that over some boring SEC or B1G game any day.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Leach must have a new book coming out. Just about every week for the last few couple of months there's a new story out about him complaining about his Tech firing.

A few weeks ago he was on local radio to talk about Stoops retiring and he turned it into how much he himself hated our ex-chancellor pretty quickly.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Slow news day but posting anyways?

20170724_101800yfl4j.png

Texas would never.

Another reason I think expansion would be dope; 4 power conferences. Don't know that we'd move to "4 conference champs get in, everyone else go cry about it", but it'd be a preferable situation. You'd have to think, most years, the spots would just go to the conference champs.

cdyhybrid

Texas would never.

Another reason I think expansion would be dope; 4 power conferences. Don't know that we'd move to "4 conference champs get in, everyone else go cry about it", but it'd be a preferable situation. You'd have to think, most years, the spots would just go to the conference champs.
Four conference champs, four wild cards.

ryseing

It'd be entertaining if the teams involved were usually actually that good offensively, but a lot of the time it's just nonexistent defense. Yuck.

I enjoy watching those shootouts occasionally but I also enjoy watching a game where I'm not laughing at the ineptitude of the defenses.

Fair enough. Personally, they're on average the third most entertaining P5, behind the ACC and PAC. If I didn't have ACC ties I'd enjoy the PAC the most.

Texas would never.

Ohio State would have been left out last year and Penn State would have been in. We need at-large bids

Four conference champs, four wild cards.

I sincerely hope we never move to 8 teams, or else if we do, just drop the conference championship game altogether. Crown champs after the regular season records are in. In cases of ties without H2H tiebreakers, crown em co-champs and move on.

Asking college kids to play 16 games in a season for free doesn't sit right with me.

Ohio State would have been left out last year and Penn State would have been in. We need at-large bids

Given what actually happened, is anyone strongly arguing that Ohio State shouldn't have been left out, though?

cdyhybrid

I sincerely hope we never move to 8 teams, or else if we do, just drop the conference championship game altogether. Crown champs after the regular season records are in. In cases of ties without H2H tiebreakers, crown em co-champs and move on.

Asking college kids to play 16 games in a season for free doesn't sit right with me.

Given what actually happened, is anyone strongly arguing that Ohio State shouldn't have been left out, though?
Yeah, I'm fine with dropping CCGs in that case.

Or we could just, you know, pay the players or something :)

Karl2177

I'll argue for Ohio State's inclusion. Given the context at the time, no team with 2 losses was getting in. Even if they did let in 2 loss teams, Oklahoma had losses to Ohio State and Houston. Penn State had losses to Pitt and Michigan. West Virginia lost to the Oklahoma teams. Of those teams, only Oklahoma won their bowl game, but even then Oklahoma had lost to Ohio State during the season.

I'll argue for Ohio State's inclusion. Given the context at the time, no team with 2 losses was getting in. Even if they did let in 2 loss teams, Oklahoma had losses to Ohio State and Houston. Penn State had losses to Pitt and Michigan. West Virginia lost to the Oklahoma teams. Of those teams, only Oklahoma won their bowl game, but even then Oklahoma had lost to Ohio State during the season.

I argued for Penn State then and now.

They probably had the best resume you can possibly have with 2 losses; conference championship, H2H win over Ohio State, lost to a top 10 Michigan team, and lost to a Pitt team that handed second ranked Clemson their only loss of the season. Both losses were early and they showed improvement as the season went on.

I also biased my opinion once I started to see just how terrible Ohio State's offense had become during the last few weeks of the season. I predicted Clemson wouldn't even let them score 10, and they didn't.

andycapps

I argued for Penn State then and now.

They probably had the best resume you can possibly have with 2 losses; conference championship, H2H win over Ohio State, lost to a top 10 Michigan team, and lost to a Pitt team that handed second ranked Clemson their only loss of the season. Both losses were early and they showed improvement as the season went on.

I also biased my opinion once I started to see just how terrible Ohio State's offense had become during the last few weeks of the season. I predicted Clemson wouldn't even let them score 10, and they didn't.
I would have put in Penn State. They won their CCG. At two losses that was close enough for me to put them in over Ohio State. If there were somehow a 3 loss conference champion vs a 1 loss non winner I'd have to put in the 1 loss team.

Key point for me is PSU and OSU played head to head. PSU won on the field along with the CCG.

It was really the most perfect opportunity to include a 2 loss team, and they chose wrong (imo). Following their reasoning, you'd have to have a ton of chaos for a PSU to get in in the future.

look at all these pedo sympathizers in here, the committee did what the ncaa didnt have the balls to do

Fuck PSU, but that doesn't figure in to any of this.

Hell, the media was being pretty gross about how last season was about the program healing so it could move on like they were the fucking victims and not the innocent kids. It was disgusting.

andycapps

I don't follow college football recruiting, but this tweet sounds like a sick burn:

El Assico is gonna have some real intensity to it this year.

Who's ready for the podcast (The Decided Schematic Advantage) to come back? Not me, but we're recording tonight anyway. We are attempting to have better audio, and will be changing the name and hosting of it shortly. Couldn't happen before this first episode of "Season 2", unfortunately.

Send in your podcast questions. And would anyone ever be interested in calling in? Setup a Google Voice number, and won't be able to get things situated for this week, but wondering if any interest down the road.

cdyhybrid

Who's ready for the podcast (The Decided Schematic Advantage) to come back? Not me, but we're recording tonight anyway. We are attempting to have better audio, and will be changing the name and hosting of it shortly. Couldn't happen before this first episode of "Season 2", unfortunately.

Send in your podcast questions. And would anyone ever be interested in calling in? Setup a Google Voice number, and won't be able to get things situated for this week, but wondering if any interest down the road.
How long until Hugh Freeze ends up back in the SEC, and which school will it be and why is it Auburn?

Rvaan

Banned
How long until Hugh Freeze ends up back in the SEC, and which school will it be and why is it Auburn?
Malzhan has lost the last 3 Iron Bowls and has gone 11-13 in conference in that span. Freeze went 2-1 against Bama and the loss was an 18 point rally by the Tide to win by 5. Freeze's conference record over this period was 13-11. Auburn could totally fire Malzahn in the next year and hire Brother Hugh. As long as that conference record stays good and they beat Bama they won't care.

Actually curious what you think the floor for Kirby Smart needs to be to keep the fan base happy this season. Short of some 4-win fiasco, I don't think they'll fire the guy since it's his second season, but the UGA roster is pretty talented on paper, and the East is still iffy. I think he needs to challenge/beat everyone on their regular season schedule except for Florida, Auburn, and maybe Georgia Tech in order to avoid entering next year on the hot seat. This is the program that fired Richt for winning 10 games a year, after all.

What say you?

Top Bottom