• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Digging into the new Wintersun album after a long day and fuck it's wonderful. Like, I'm not far in, but it's gorgeous. Pretty much exactly what I want from this band barring Time II

Ok, I am enjoying this Wintersun Album very much. Also the Time I v1.5 mix is much better than the original release.
It's fucking magical is what it is. Holy shit my favorite album got better.

I'm so happy ._.

And then super sad over other events of the day. Man, what a strange day.

Some parts of that I like, some I don't. The general colour scheme not so much and reminds me a lot of last.fm's designs in general.

I do think that the site needs some improvements concerning the layouts and how it uses your screen space.

For example the band/artist pages, it doesn't make use of all the space available for a web page. It would be nice to see the discography listed that way with the album art in a grid format, instead of just the text list for example (or at least an option between a list and grid format).

I still like the current site's general theme of the darker maroon colour.

If I remember correctly the last time the site got a face lift was around 2010/2011 (can't remember when exactly).

Really liking the second track of Forest Seasons so far!

Edit: listened to it twice now. Absolutely adore Autumn and Winter. I'd say this is better than Time 1.

Tankard

New Decrepit Birth is kinda nice.

Also recommend new Sun of the Sleepless album, awesome Atmospheric Black/Blackgaze band.

SOTS-ToTheElements.jpg

https://sun-of-the-sleepless.bandcamp.com/album/to-the-elements

https://open.spotify.com/album/4lO6H94dFx8eVvf402DL2A

Gray Matter

Not sure if this is the right place to do this, but I didn't want to start a new thread for this. Anyway, I have a ticket for the between the buried and me colors 10 year anniversary tour for Sunday September 24th in Boston. I need to sell it, so if anyone is interested let me know, PM or here, doesn't matter.

The new Cytotoxin album is out and it owns. They're definitely one of those "hyperfrenetic guitar lead wank" kind of bands but they really make it work. Like if Origin was actually good. I bought this instead of the new Decrepit Birth! That should tell you everything.

I mean listen to this fucking guitar (47 seconds into Chernopolis)

too sick!

Also the Time I v1.5 mix is much better than the original release.

I only listened to Time I once and I remember not liking it at all. Every time I think of trying it out again I just end up listening to the debut! Which is still amazing after all these years.

The new Cytotoxin album is out and it owns. They're definitely one of those "hyperfrenetic guitar lead wank" kind of bands but they really make it work. Like if Origin was actually good. I bought this instead of the new Decrepit Birth! That should tell you everything.
honestly I have listened to my fair share of this kinda tech death. Usually my threshold is something like Necrophagist - Epitaph, but sometimes more zany shit is called for. Unique Leader seems to be doing a little better these days. They're reissuing Devourment and Abominable Putridity stuff at the moment. On that note:

Afterbirth (NY) - The Time Traveler's Dilemma

this is actually one of my most anticipated albums of the year, and based on what I'm hearing, it will be the most legit album Unique Leader has put out since the last Inherit Disease. First, it will be the first LP of a long time death metal entity from NY. The Afterbirth demos are absolutely worth hearing if you're looking for brutal east coast artifacts, and the fact that this will be their debut LP after so many years is pretty amazing. The album looks to be pretty nuanced, and I don't usually expect much from the "progressive" tag in this context, but from an execution and production standpoint it sounds like it will be fucking brutal overall. Releasing this Friday. Be sure to support these guys.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Afterbirth (NY) - The Time Traveler's Dilemma

this is actually one of my most anticipated albums of the year, and based on what I'm hearing, it will be the most legit album Unique Leader has put out since the last Inherit Disease. First, it will be the first LP of a long time death metal entity from NY. The Afterbirth demos are absolutely worth hearing if you're looking for brutal east coast artifacts, and the fact that this will be their debut LP after so many years is pretty amazing. The album looks to be pretty nuanced, and I don't usually expect much from the "progressive" tag in this context, but from an execution and production standpoint it sounds like it will be fucking brutal overall. Releasing this Friday. Be sure to support these guys.
This is good – will check it out once it's released. Members of Helmet, ha. And I could recognize the AB vocalist straight away.

honestly I have listened to my fair share of this kinda tech death. Usually my threshold is something like Necrophagist - Epitaph, but sometimes more zany shit is called for. Unique Leader seems to be doing a little better these days. They're reissuing Devourment and Abominable Putridity stuff at the moment. On that note:

I find Unique Leader to be one of the most "hit or miss" metal labels out there for me. I feel like a good 70% of the bands they sign represent everything wrong with modern tech-death but then they go and release amazing stuff like First Fragment, Hideous Divinity, Beneath, and the aforementioned Cytotoxin.

Speaking of Abominable Putridity where the heck is the new album?! Even after 5 years Anomalies is still amazing.

Also that Afterbirth track sounded pretty sick. I love those vocals.

More bands announced for Maryland Deathfest 2018:

Cognizant
Cripple Bastards (Italy)
Defeated Sanity (Germany)
Dusk
Gateway to Hell
Gonkulator
Helmet
Horrible Earth
Integrity
Khemmis
Master's Hammer (Czech Republic)
Pessimist
Petrification
Pure Hiss
Pig Destroyer
The Ruins of Beverast (Germany)
Suffering Hour
Violation Wound

Oooh forgot the announcement was today

Cognizant fuckin rules, love watching Fajardo's practice vids

Pig Destroyer was extremely expected

Great lineup so far

EDIT: just saw Helmet. Lol. Weird pick but i dig it

Nopren

I can't come, but Khemmis is the best band that has ever existed, and every single one of their songs cure cancer and make children and puppies happy.

Pig Destroyer is neat as well.

Jesus it's been 5 years since the last Converge album lol, thought it was more recent than that

Really not a fan of their later stuff but Jane Doe rules forever. Expecting more artsy Entombed whatever

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
It's a new (digital) single. I guess an album announcement will follow soon.
Yup, it's Converge.

That art is fucking sweet though.

Edit: Nah, I really dig both songs. Ready for more Converge fuuuuuuuck.

That M-A redesign looks like a Dark Tranquillity album cover.

So, I gave the first half of the new Wintersun a listen yesterday. I thought it was fucking great. I'm gonna have to buy the damn thing because it's not on Spotify so I can listen to the rest.

Ixion

So, I gave the first half of the new Wintersun a listen yesterday. I thought it was fucking great.

I think it's a really solid album, with the black metal "Eternal Darkness" being the weakest track. It sounds too mish-mashy to me, and not very memorable. Perhaps better production there would have helped, since there's so many sound effects going on.

"The Forest That Weeps" is fantastic. Love that song.

It's a new (digital) single. I guess an album announcement will follow soon.
Yup, it's Converge.

That art is fucking sweet though.

Edit: Nah, I really dig both songs. Ready for more Converge fuuuuuuuck.
Upon first listen, through one earphone whilst in work, I really dig Eve.

Have you listened to Wear Your Wounds? Maybe my favourite album of the year so far.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Upon first listen, through one earphone whilst in work, I really dig Eve.

Have you listened to Wear Your Wounds? Maybe my favourite album of the year so far.
Eve really has quite a bit Jane Doe (the song) going on. Would be nice to know if it'll be an album track, the 7" is up for preorder.

Yeah, I got Wear Your Wounds, and while I thought it was good, I really wasn't in the mood for it when it came out. I should give it a few more spins.
Latest Boris album is so good. Will absolutely see them live when they tour this fall.
It way grew on me, I think it's by far their best since at least Smile. If only the production would be a bit rougher, I mean, even the relatively polished Pink sounded nasty compared to Dear (and Noise for that matter).

Every month or so I go onto all those black metal promotion YouTube channels and find some gems since there's so much black metal that releases both signed and unsigned that it's tough to find good new bands or new releases from existing fairly unknown bands.

Nascentum - The Beginning (First EP, formed in 2016 according to MA).
The intro to this grabbed my attention.
frgZ1Ow.jpg

Lluvia - Enigma
g3faVwL.jpg

So, I gave the first half of the new Wintersun a listen yesterday. I thought it was fucking great. I'm gonna have to buy the damn thing because it's not on Spotify so I can listen to the rest.

I haven't listened to it yet because its not on Spotify but the other two Wintersun albums are so I gave em another go.

The debut is still amazing.
I couldn't even finish Time I.

Hopefully the new album puts Jari back on track.

I want Sleeping Stars played at my funeral, what an amazing song. When the main guitar lead kicks in it gets me every time.

Here's a fun fact: I once cried while listening to Born in a Mourning Hall on repeat because a girl stood me up.

I think it's a really solid album, with the black metal "Eternal Darkness" being the weakest track. It sounds too mish-mashy to me, and not very memorable. Perhaps better production there would have helped, since there's so many sound effects going on.

"The Forest That Weeps" is fantastic. Love that song.
Since I have the isolated tracks, I'm tempted to kind of "remix" it so the guitars are a bit louder. It's clearly a style choice Jari was going for, buuuuuuuuuuuuut I want louder guitars :p

Top Bottom