• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about a Mass Effect remaster the more I am onboard.

I loved the ME3 multiplayer and would be up for that again in 1080p/60fps with all the released maps, weapons and characters.

I slightly hate myself that I would rather buy ME, Gears, TLoU and GTA5 remasters than most of the new games that are being released.

Bittercup

The thing I'd love to hear from people is what you'd like to have in such an experience. For me (personal opinion, and based on what people have told me many times before):

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- High res textures, especially on ME1
- Some shader improvements commensurate with newer GPUs
- All the DLC
- "Seamless experience" - the adventures flow into each other without having to go back to save import, menu screens, etc.

Agree / disagree? What else?

Bear in mind this is a "wish list" at this point...
All of this and :
Tali romance for femShep.

And the changes from the paragon/renegade system from ME3 for the previous games. That the game uses a sum of both+neutral for those red/blue answers instead of separately. Especially ME2 'forced' the player too much to play more or less one-sided or else end up not being able to solve conflicts. As someone who prefers to play as chaotic neutral that was always a bummer.

Split up actions on separate keys instead of using space/X/A for everything. There was too much on the same button. Especially in the ME3 MP with taking cover/reviving team mate on the same button.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hey Aaryn! Thanks for posting here.

If BioWare would commit to a full fledged HD remaster of all three games, here's what should that look like:

- Xbox One, PS4 and PC release
- 1080p/60fps is a must -- look what it did to Halo:MCC. Glorious!
- *all* DLC included, from all three games.
- Full, out-of-the-box controller compatibility on PC - this is really important!
- Preferably, don't lock the PC version to Origin. In the light of recent Ubisoft shenanigans (on top of EA's own Origin lock for Titanfall, BF4, ME3, ... almost every major EA franchise) you'd be doing yourself a disservice since Steam userbase is HUGE.
- Do a proper remaster/retouch of all three games leveraging the power of XB1/PS4 and PC.
- Seamless experience would be great. One menu for all games, etc.
- ME4 demo included as a preorder bonus :p

Forget about the Origin thing, Bioware has no say in this. EA want their games only on Origin and I doubt that'll change soon unless they close Origin.

Honestly, if I could play remastered ME3 multiplayer at 1080@60 (emphasis on the 60), that would be enough for me. Adjusting the controls to offload some functionality from the magic sprint/cover/everything button would be awesome, but probably a bit much for a remaster. But awesome.

Here is a crazy one... Seamless landing and take off?

It was the main sales pitch for star wars battlefront 3, it is what the no mans sky are counting on.

Why havent developers been able to hide loading screens between going/going out of hyperspace? I guess mass effects engine just would be able to render such a large land mass.

see, I ask stupid questions, then give myself unsatisfying answers. I swear to jesus man, if I was a lawyer I would sue myself.

Forget about the Origin thing, Bioware has no say in this. EA want their games only on Origin and I doubt that'll change soon unless they close Origin.
*sigh* I know, but I just put it out there. #wishfulthinking

Oh, I forgot... remove/change/[whatever] the ME2 planet scanning.

Denton

The thing I'd love to hear from people is what you'd like to have in such an experience. For me (personal opinion, and based on what people have told me many times before):

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC
- "Seamless experience" - the adventures flow into each other without having to go back to save import, menu screens, etc.

Not sure if mentioned already, but one thing that really annoyed me in ME3 was lack of holster in combat areas. Please give us the ability to put weapon away as in first two games.
Also controller support in PC version is a must have. I cannot replay on my TV because the games lack it.
Thank you.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I would very, very much be down for an integral release of the entire trilogy on PS4/Xbone. Yeah, can't really overstate that.

geordiemp

I loved the ME3 multiplayer and would be up for that again in 1080p/60fps with all the released maps, weapons and characters.

I slightly hate myself that I would rather buy ME, Gears, TLoU and GTA5 remasters than most of the new games that are being released.

Agree, don't know if I could do the campaigns again, but really miss ME3 multiplayer.

Here is an idea, why don't Bioware release Mass effect multiplayer as a stand alone digital title for Ps4 / Xb1....upgraded to 1080p60...

It would probably sell well and be less costly for them to do.

Aaron, one question I hope you can answer if you're still around is that I would like to know why controller support was never patched into the PC version of the trilogy? Quite a few people ask for it and I can't believe it would be something extremely difficult to implement.

If you could pass the word onto the powers that be that many of us would appreciate that addition it would be great.

Their official reasoning has always been "we adjusted the PC UI to support keyboard and mouse, so there's no point in having controller support". Nevermind that most of the console UI elements could be found buried in the PC version of ME2.

It's a good question. I'll ask.

Having official controller support on PC would be amazing.

geordiemp

It's a good question. I'll ask.

Please please if you don't have resource or time for a massive remake, why not just release the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer as a stand alone digital product on Ps4 / Xb1.

Many people have played the campaigns multiple times and although the thought of Nostalgia is nice, the number of people re-buying might not be worth your effort.

The multiplayer coop was so repayable, it does not matter if people had played it, it does not age.

Also ME3 multiplayer 1080p60 would be sweet.

It would be the perfect solution to get players hyped for ME4.

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

Agree 100% on everything listed.

I assume it would be included, but ME3's full MP on disk. A split screen mode for local coop would be an awesome bonus for this. 2 player split screen would be great, 4 person would be outstanding.

The only other thing that I can think of that would be neat would be something like a "Making of" documentary or something of that nature.

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

Bring the film grain option back in ME3 and we're golden.

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

Fix the face geometry of FemShep in Mass 3 (so maybe completely overhaul Shep's male and female models across all three games for consistency), and ultimate wishlist material would be Mass 3's combat, weapon mod, and skill system across all three games (Mass 1 was a little over the top with skills and inventory management, Mass 2 was too simplistic, Mass 3 nailed it imo).

Manos

Neo Member

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

I would definitely agree with those, though what I never see in HD versions is some extra levels, extra multiplayer modes etc. (a Co-op as already mentioned). Some incentives for us to play those games again in HD.

I hope that any HD version won't take much of Bioware devs time, because first of all we all expect Mass Effect 4 as soon as possible (and I personally hope that Joker is the protagonist standing on his feet this time!)

syko de4d

For PC Version

-Controller Support
-Enhance ME1 gameplay
-Get rid of Planet Scanning from ME2/3 or enhance it to something that isnt the most boring thing ever
-Better textures/graphics
-All content
-Some new Content (1-2sidequests per game), maybe even with small Hints to the new Mass Effect games
-Beta Access to Mass Effect 4 Multiplayer
-Discount for people who have ME games on Origin
-A Mass Eeffect Pet for swtor (doesnt interest me but should add a little to sales for a small work)

cjp

I still haven't finished the trilogy box set on PS3 yet.

I started Mass Effect just before Christmas last year and finished. I really enjoyed it and then moved onto the beginning of Mass Effect 2 before Christmas and a new PS4 took over.

I guess I'd pick up the trilogy on PS4 if it was released.

Not sure if mentioned already, but one thing that really annoyed me in ME3 was lack of holster in combat areas. Please give us the ability to put weapon away as in first two games.
Also controller support in PC version is a must have. I cannot replay on my TV because the games lack it.
Thank you.

Forgot all about that, it would be great to have the option to holster back.

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

All the DLC is the only thing that would matter to me. All the other things would just be a great bonus.
Ok some smooth FPS would be awesome.

Oh god, I would guy this thing asap.

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

Well if you are going to ask...

I want ME1 redone with shooting mechanics similar to ME2 or ME3, ME1's combat has aged horribly and every time I try and go replay it I get so annoyed with how clunky it is. Honestly I'd like to see ME2 get a similar update with more weapon customizations like we had in ME3 as well.

For ME3 in particular as much as I want to say new optional endings, I'd really just be fine with getting more options for past crew members to join you, I loved having Wrex during the citadel DLC but I really miss having a Krogan in my party for the rest of the game. Wrex would of course be hard to do considering hes leading his people but I never understood why Grunt does not join you since his team ends up getting slaughtered and he leaves with you only to become a war asset after his mission. I'd also like to see this done with maybe 1 or 2 other ME2 members such as Samara (if you save her) since same kind of deal, she becomes a war asset but you never see her again. Others at least had reasons for not joining you (like Kasumi, Thane, Jacob, ect) but Grunt and Samara certainly did not or at the very least they could easily be reworked to join you in the end. I consider ME3 a sendoff to the original series and while Citadel was a great piece of DLC for that I always felt like the entire game should have the same feeling and easiest way to get there (at least IMO) is to give us more party members and some great dialog (the scene where Garrus and James try and 'out do' each other with different things they've done is one of my favorites! I'd love to see that kind of thing and I'd be really interested in seeing how Liara would act around Samara).

Prothero

Neo Member

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

Agree with all of these. Also, please include Mass Effect 3's multiplayer...maybe with some additional maps, characters, etc.?

Maybe this would be stretching it a bit, but I'd love to see a final, optional boss battle with Harbinger added to Mass Effect 3. As in, players could choose to face him instead of going to the final choice/ending sequence. Make defeating him a spin on the
"Destroy"
ending.

An ME trilogy remaster might make me rebuy the games and I loathed (seriously LOATHED) the third game.

The trilogy would have to have some serious visual improvements to tempt me, though. It couldn't just be another Sleeping Dogs "definitive edition" deal.

And yeah, adding holstering to ME3 would be a definite must. I know asking for an actual ending affected by one's choices during all three games is too much to ask, though.

daninthemix

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

How about proper controller support on PC? Lots of us play with gamepads now....

I.R.I.S.

Neo Member
Retconning combat: bad idea. I know one thing that SHOULD be retconned, though... hint: it's the opposite of the beginning.

Is there really any reason for them to not retcon the ME1 combat now that we know that they made decent versions of the heat sink guns for ME3?

Then again, the big thing that needed to be fixed for ME1 is that horrible aim skill nonsense that made firing guns an exercise in frustration until you leveled up enough to mitigate that stupid dice roll.

DirtyCase

Well if you are going to ask...

I want ME1 redone with shooting mechanics similar to ME2 or ME3, ME1's combat has aged horribly and every time I try and go replay it I get so annoyed with how clunky it is. Honestly I'd like to see ME2 get a similar update with more weapon customizations like we had in ME3 as well.

For ME3 in particular as much as I want to say new optional endings, I'd really just be fine with getting more options for past crew members to join you, I loved having Wrex during the citadel DLC but I really miss having a Krogan in my party for the rest of the game. Wrex would of course be hard to do considering hes leading his people but I never understood why Grunt does not join you since his team ends up getting slaughtered and he leaves with you only to become a war asset after his mission. I'd also like to see this done with maybe 1 or 2 other ME2 members such as Samara (if you save her) since same kind of deal, she becomes a war asset but you never see her again. Others at least had reasons for not joining you (like Kasumi, Thane, Jacob, ect) but Grunt and Samara certainly did not or at the very least they could easily be reworked to join you in the end. I consider ME3 a sendoff to the original series and while Citadel was a great piece of DLC for that I always felt like the entire game should have the same feeling and easiest way to get there (at least IMO) is to give us more party members and some great dialog (the scene where Garrus and James try and 'out do' each other with different things they've done is one of my favorites! I'd love to see that kind of thing and I'd be really interested in seeing how Liara would act around Samara).

The list of suggestions he gave us were all reasonable and practical upgrades. The biggest thing would be the time/money required to implement these changes so all the upgrades need to be feasible and economical. What you are asking for would fundamentally change the first game and add large changes to the other games that suit your particular tastes. It might be better to keep your expectations in check considering he pretty much flat out said no to redoing the combat/game mechanics of ME1 for various reasons.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there really any reason for them to not retcon the ME1 combat now that we know that they made decent versions of the heat sink guns for ME3?

Then again, the big thing that needed to be fixed for ME1 is that horrible aim skill nonsense that made firing guns an exercise in frustration until you leveled up enough to mitigate that stupid dice roll.

Some people like the "outdated" combat of ME1, believe it or not, so it's probably not a good idea to try to update it so that it plays like ME3 combat.

Anyway, i'm sure they would need to rework a lot of things(enemies AI first come to mind) to make it work. Not to mention how big of a job that would be to actually make the combat similar to ME3.

Daemul

The only change I would want is a complete overhaul of the combat and mechanics in ME1, but since it's been said that will likely not happening I'll just stick with the 360 versions of the games. I can't be bothered restarting my Shepards all the way from scratch and losing hundreds of hours of progress just for prettier graphics, unless we get given a way to transfer our 360 saves to XBO or something.

Also, people stop asking for new endings, you aren't getting them.

sobaka770

Banned

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

You know what else. Deep inside you know...

Give a non-rage-inducing ending option.

M76

Banned
I already played 1080p and 60fps with the games, so I don'T really understand why this is anything worthwhile.

I'd only consider this if they'd give massive discounts to those already owning the games.

The only change I would want is a complete overhaul of the combat and mechanics in ME1, but since it's been said that will likely not happening I'll just stick with the 360 versions of the games. I can't be bothered restarting my Shepards all the way from scratch and losing hundreds of hours of progress just for prettier graphics, unless we get given a way to transfer our 360 saves to XBO or something.

Also, people stop asking for new endings, you aren't getting them.

Some people like the combat and mechanics of ME1. Why is asking for new mechanics better than asking for new endings?

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

As long as you up the textures and shaders while giving us 60fps, I'm sure we will all be happy. Mass Effect seems like the kind of game where a high frame rate will definitely benefit the gameplay. If you can do 1080p, do that as well while giving us all of the DLC and such. If you can't pull off 1080p with your vision, then as long as you keep the frame rate high, I'm happy. :D

dmr87

Oh yes, that was really annoying. I think the reason was that they ran out of memory on the consoles so they couldn't even fit a minor thing like that.

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

I would like for the entire trilogy to run on Frosbite. :)

Also, Mass Effect 1 needs a new UI. Like, completely redone.

Asbear

Banned
Nah. Frostbite can't achieve the tone and tint style of ME2. All frostbite games seem to have a definitive Frostbite look to them. I'm actually skeptical as to how ME4 is gonna look. Because judging from the E3 footage it just looks like ME assets in Battlefield maps. There's something about the edges and the tint created by lighting on surfaces I never liked about Frostbite. Unreal was such a good choice for Mass Effect because it has such a cold and chily look. Perfect for space and sci-fi titles.

It's very unlikely that any suggestions with the words "completely redone" will be able to be implemented.

-Endings
-ME1 combat
-UI
-ME1 graphics
-Mako
-Planet Scanning

It took teams of dozens of people years to implement these things. Doesn't mean they were good, but it's not feasible to spend those resources on completely redoing it all.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

I would be okay with all of that.. Besides that just give me the Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer. I loved it. I would be good with 30fps if that would mean better graphics.

kuYuri

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

To add to that list, my own wants, but understandable if it can't be done without some significant changes or cost.
- Holstering in ME3
- Rework the Mako controls in ME1. The Hammerhead from ME2 controlled incredibly well by comparison.
- Rework the combat (cover, gunplay, Biotic and tech abilities) a bit in ME1. Again, look to ME2 or ME3 for a model of improvement.

Freeman

Banned
ME trilogy with a completely re-imagined ending, great opportunity to save the IP.

Make the war assets relevant and weave them into the ending. If I chose to save Krogan riding Kakliosauri instead of whatever was the other option, let me at least see them in action even if it is just them being slaughtered. War assets should be way more tactical or else all your choice seem just absolutely shallow, adding a dimension of choosing how to employ your assets would be even better(even if it is a simple system, I'm sure it would feel way more satisfying).

If the Reapers motives are incomprehensible or just dumb don't try to explain them, remove that start child brat and the 3 colored stupid ending, those moments where new lows for the trilogy. Give the Illusive man a decent ending instead of a cliche sub-part boss fight. If the reapers are unbeatable let Shepard throw everything at them even if it is to no effect, let him order everyone to just hide/run for their lives or let him destroy some of the relays to mess with their logistics and buy more time, those are all much better option than what we've got and they don't break Sheppard's character. Funny enough the "bad ending", attempting to mock dissatisfied player was actually the most consistent one, die but leave something behind to help the next cycle fight.

Don't forget to add an opting for wilder FoV, it was a pain to play ME3 on PC, it was like I was playing with binoculars on.

They should also completely remove or rethink planet scanning in ME2.

Also show more class when dealing with EDI, even her model was messed up.

parabolee

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

OMG, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!

Also I know you have already poopooed it, but bringing the entire combat system of ME3 into 1 and 2 would be my preference too. What is the point of a "seamless experience" if the game suddenly and jarringly changes its combat system!?

Also I would really like the ability to change/tweak our appearance at any time! There is nothing worse than getting 10+ hours into a game and realise there is something about your appearance you wish you could change but are now stuck with for 100+ hours! Especially considering that moving the character from one game to the next sometimes makes your character look weird.

I'd probably only replay 2 & 3 next summer, but ME3 multiplayer is Day 1 buy.

Nopren

I'm one of the people that prefers ME1's combat over the others (only on PC, mind you). And with the absolutely brilliant porting job by Demiurge Studios, I really feel the only thing that ME1 needs is a slight tightening of the inventory system, texture updates and adding more graphical oomph and flair to the abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom