• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralemont

not me
Aaryn asked about things for a remaster, not a remake, people. Please stop wasting everyone's time griping about ME3's endings or ME1's combat.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Aaryn,

Now that I think about it, there are a few minor changes I can think of that I would like to see implemented that shouldn't be TOO difficult and I have no doubt many others will appreciate.

1. Fix the difficulty such that it does not require beating the game on hardcore to unlock Insanity.

2.Fix many of the trophies/achievements. I suggest completely dropping the ones that require you to spend a certain portion of the game with specific squadmates. Also, drop or make the number much less tedious for get X number of kills with this weapon/biotic power or cast X number of biotic/tech powers. Grinding out many of those could get tedious and boring.

For Mass Effect 2.
I suggest tweaking the paragon/renegade system such that you are given more leeway to be neutral. I have no idea if this is a feasible tweak, but it would be nice to have a playthrough that allowed for more leeway in that regard.

For Mass Effect 3:
The changes I want for this are unrealistic and won't waste any time mentioning them.

The thing I'd love to hear from people is what you'd like to have in such an experience. For me (personal opinion, and based on what people have told me many times before):

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- High res textures, especially on ME1
- Some shader improvements commensurate with newer GPUs
- All the DLC
- "Seamless experience" - the adventures flow into each other without having to go back to save import, menu screens, etc.

Agree / disagree? What else?

Bear in mind this is a "wish list" at this point...

Agree with everything in that list.

What I would also like to see:

- Anti-aliasing
- Improved lighting
- Improve UI (especially for ME1)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
People asking for new endings, complete combat overhauls, etc....

Lol. Come on now.

Better ME1 combat sounds great in theory, but many people fail to realize that its not a simple copy and paste and that it would fundamentally alter (and probably break) many encounters.

While the combat in ME1 certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but those acting like it makes the game unplayable are just exaggerating.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
The thing I'd love to hear from people is what you'd like to have in such an experience. For me (personal opinion, and based on what people have told me many times before):

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC
- "Seamless experience" - the adventures flow into each other without having to go back to save import, menu screens, etc.

Agree on all points.. that is pretty much my dream wishlist.

.... oh, and PC controller support pls.

Happy N7 Day Aaryn / Bioware / GAF!!

MapleHamwich

Neo Member

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

Things to include:

* 1080p rendered, not upscaled

* Assets to match the 1080p rendering

* 60FPS framerate

* Continuous, integrated and seamless approach to the entire trilogy and all of its DLC.

* Multiplayer across all 3 games, but unified.

* Streamline the game mechanics. Yes, all 3 games play different, and all 3 games have their fans. But within each game's structure, streamline things. For ME1, make its mechanics work better. You don't have to make it play like ME2 or ME3, but make it the best ME1 it can be. The same for 2 and 3.

Things to avoid like the plague:

* MICROTRANSACTIONS. ELIMINATE THESE FROM YOUR MINDS.

* Remade cinematics. Spend the money on improving the gameplay. Don't do what 343i has done with Halo MCC and spend a ton of money on fucking cut scenes.

* Pre-order bonuses. Don't. Give everyone the same experience.

* Platform parity. If one platform can run everything better, let it.

Give me a remastered ME Trilogy! 1080p60 yes please.

One option that'd be cool would be a checkbox system where you could start up ME2 or 3, but select the choices made in ME1 or 2 to influence your playthrough of the later game. That way you could play through a game in a different way but not have to go all the way through the previous games to make the choices.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

After have watched my brother play ME2 and ME3 on the PS3, I must add:

SHORTER LOAD TIMES

Sitting there for over a minute, every time he died on Insanity, or used the elevator on the Normandy, was an extremely painful experience.

1080p/60, better textures, and shorter loads are really the only technical improvements that really matter, to me and him at least.

Would it be too much to ask that your ME3 multiplayer characters transfer over from respective last gen systems to the new gen? I put over 150 hours into that multiplayer and I'd really rather not have to restart from the beginning.

Nied

Neo Member
Man I'm glad I decided to get NeoGaf account a couple of weeks ago. I think a lot of my wish list have been covered by others, but a few I didn't see:

Consistent face options across all three games. I hated importing my ME1 characters into ME2 and not being able to do any tweaking before I started the game, and then in ME3 I could tweak again but my characters looked nothing like they did in first two games.

Frostbite engine! Although maybe UE4 would be easier, either way I'd love to see everything ported over to a new engine that'll push newer machines. Also don't forget us PC guys (so not just 1080p, but 1440p and 4K support would be awesome).

Put me down for another vote for holstering and film grain in ME3 for such small things I really missed them.

While I did enjoy ME1s gameplay ME3's system was just such a joy that I'd love to be able to play through 1 with 3's gameplay. I'd understand if it's too hard to implement though. Given their similarities would it be possible to port 3's gameplay into 2 though?

Something I haven't seen at all is opening up the games to mods. Between texmod and Me3Explorer there's a pretty thriving mod community going right now for all three games. Having them (re)built from the ground up to be modable would be huge though.

I remember when Mass Effect MP was first announced people thought it would die in 3 months. Some people said it was the nail in the coffin.
12Tt4U7hlXXaRa.gif

Now we want MP ported into the next generation.

Swangod

Neo Member

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

Maybe improved load times would be nice, other than that I like your list. I loved all the Mass Effects and also loved Mass Effect 3's multiplayer... so hopefully ME3 would include multiplayer again?

I remember when Mass Effect MP was first announced people thought it would die in 3 months. Some people said it was the nail in the coffin.
12Tt4U7hlXXaRa.gif

Now we want MP ported into the next generation.

I wasn't keen on multiplayer when it was announced, then I played the beta and knew, it was a lot better than what I thought it would be. I spent countless hours on it with the full release.

bengraven

I would just love "complete" editions of all the games now, DLC included for free.

I have the trilogy on PS3 and PC but I really would like to play the "complete" game and that dLC is expensive.

The "ME3 combat mechanics in ME1" comes up relatively often, but it's not on my radar (again, speaking personally). First it would be a helluva lot of work. Second, I hate the idea of us being accused of "retconning" ME1. Third (and I bet everyone on NeoGAF knows this), there are those who prefer ME1...

So given that all that, it doesn't feel like the right thing to do.

I love ME1 (my favourite of the series), and I think somewhere between ME1 and ME2 lay the mechanics of one of the best games of all time. That being said, ME1's combat sucks, and ME2's is better, and I don't know anyone who thinks otherwise.

other Mass Effect opinions I'd like to express (for future games):
  • The way missions ended in ME1 was way better than 2. I hated the high score screen, and I didn't like that it always brought you back to the Normandy in 2
  • Holstering is a must :)
  • Walk/Run speed was screwed up in 2. I couldn't walk even if I wanted to.
  • I've always asserted that the reason why people hated the Mako is because it didn't control like the Warthog. Remember that when ME1 came out, it was a 360 exclusive, and people on 360 were still playing Halo 2. People just expected it to control like the Warthog because thats what they were used to. Make sure it controls like that this time around.
  • Mako was awesome but the planets did need a little bit more variety.
  • I love how Mass Effect 2 seemed to be seriously inspired by Star Control 2. So many elements of SC2 were in that game (whether intentional or not). The mining stuff was only bad because it was SLOW. Bring it back, but make the cursor faster. Don't make it like 3 though-- the galaxy exploration in 3 seemed gimped compared to 2. I don't even remember if there was mining in 3 or if it was just super simplified.
  • And space combat! One of the things I know they wanted to put into ME but never got to it-- I'd love to see space combat. And hopefully not a dumbed down thing (ala Rogue Squadron), but a little bit more fleshed out
  • I hate the binary Paragon/Renegade choice. I hated that the Paragon choice was always in the same spot and the Renegade choice was always in the same spot. And I hated that there were only 2 choices. KOTOR and Dragon Age 1 were far superior when it came to dialog trees. Please make it more like those games. You can keep the dial interface, but just make it less obvious what is good and what is bad, so that people are actually role playing instead of automatically hitting the good option or the bad option
  • I think it will be really dumb if future games avoid the fate of Shepard by staying in the past. People will only be interested if the game is set after ME3. It could be decades after, it could be centuries after. But it has to be AFTER. I don't know if you have to choose a canon ending or you let the player choose what Shepard's ending was when you start the game, but I think the series just needs to move forward. Personally, I think the most interesting thing would be if Shepard chose the control ending though.

edit: also while I'm usually all for 1080p/60, I kinda loved the film thing ME1 was going for (yeah yeah, put your cinematic jokes here). But 1080p/30 with the type of fidelity we're seeing from The Order: 1886 would be exciting.

AlStrong

* Remade cinematics. Spend the money on improving the gameplay. Don't do what 343i has done with Halo MCC and spend a ton of money on fucking cut scenes.

Well, actually, they should at least re-render the cut-scenes for 1080p with AA. The 720p videos are damn hideous with the Bink compression on top of that.

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

setting reality completely aside, i want:

-me3 gameplay and character progression on other games.
-me3 gfx, and upgrade older games using me3 assets
-extra new dlc (to calm the mass effect monster in all of us till me4 is out)
-45 usd

being realistic, i want:

-1080p/60 with quick load times on ps4/xbone/pc.
-remove load times within normandy on every game.
-60 usd with all the existing dlc packed in.

OsirisBlack

Banned
As far as my remaster wishlist

I would love 1080p with 60fps as well as a visual upgrade. Doubt they would change the engine for this but I do wonder how the game would look on Frostbite 3.

All DLC is a must as well as improving upon the multiplayer maybe a new map or two.

Phamit

Things I would like to see in a Remaster (includes stuff for

- 1080P/60FPS Gameplay and Cutscenes( I don't think they had High Resolutions. Atleast I remember that I was a bit disappointed because the amazing cutscene in ME3 were quiet blurry)
- Higher Textures
- One Launcher ( so no closing one game to open another)
- All DLC
-ME3 Multiplayer ( All DLC included)
- Seamless no need to import, just keep playing
- Better AA options and other smaller graphical enhancement
- Archievements in Origin ( for ME1 & 2)
Edit: pc Controller Support

If possible:

Some new ME3 MP Maps based on ME2/ME3 locations maybe
A new Cutscene Teasing the Next Mass Effect

Things I would like to see in a Remaster (includes stuff for

- 1080P/60FPS Gameplay and Cutscenes( I don't think they had High Resolutions. Atleast I remember that I was a bit disappointed because the amazing cutscene in ME3 were quiet blurry)
- Higher Textures
- One Launcher ( so no closing one game to open another)
- All DLC
-ME3 Multiplayer ( All DLC included)
- Seamless no need to import, just keep playing
- Better AA options and other smaller graphical enhancement
- Archievements in Origin ( for ME1 & 2)

If possible:

Some new ME3 MP Maps based on ME2/ME3 locations maybe
A new Cutscene Teasing the Next Mass Effect

They would probably just port the PC version which has most of those features.

Most of what I'd want in a remaster has been mentioned, so I'll just add:

Let us remove/change the helmets of the DLC armors. Also, let us use the N7 multiplayer armors in the story, with the aforementioned helmet options.

* MICROTRANSACTIONS. ELIMINATE THESE FROM YOUR MINDS.

* Pre-order bonuses. Don't. Give everyone the same experience.

* Platform parity. If one platform can run everything better, let it.
Actually, when it comes to the line I bolded, I think it's worth remaking the ME1 and ME2 Suicide mission cutscenes, because those never supported the custom soundtrack features on the Xbox 360 properly for some reason, so you'd get the cutscene music over your personal music.

Nied

Neo Member
Couple more things I just thought of:

Do some extra mo-cap to fix Femshep's "man walk."

There's a bunch of content in the second two games that most people have never seen without editing the plot flags in their savegames because the flags didn't import correctly (Conrad Verner in ME2 being the most (in)famous). Fix the import bug and you've got a bunch of new content for free.

I would love to have the working elevators from ME1 in all three games as long as the load times could be kept down.

On the same note: if elevators can't be implemented for the other two games can we at least fix the loading screen in ME2 for PC users? I've got the game on an SSD and it still insists on playing the entire loading movie before moving on.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

Maybe I'm late to the party. But the one thing I want is a massive Citadel to explore across all 3 games, not just in ME1. That alone would warrant a new purchase for me.

Denton

Oh yes, that was really annoying. I think the reason was that they ran out of memory on the consoles so they couldn't even fit a minor thing like that.

That was the explanation given at the time by Manveer Heir, yes.
I really hated the fact that my 8GB RAM PC was hamstrung like this due to 256MB PS3.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
After seeing all these concept arts, i can't fucking wait to see them, onscreen, in HD.

Gonna be sooo awesome.

Is it 2016 yet?

Give me a remastered ME Trilogy! 1080p60 yes please.

One option that'd be cool would be a checkbox system where you could start up ME2 or 3, but select the choices made in ME1 or 2 to influence your playthrough of the later game. That way you could play through a game in a different way but not have to go all the way through the previous games to make the choices.
This! Give us the interactive comic for ME1 and/or 2 so we can fully enjoy playing the later games the way we want without forcing us to play them in order if we especially want to play one of the later games first.

Yeul

I'll have to be a lot more careful with how much information I look at for Mass Effect in the coming months/year since for DA:I I have really been watching all preview videos and stuff. Mass Effect is more near and dear to me than DA (even though I love that series a lot too) so I want to go in with as little spoiled as possible.

Asbear

Banned
Wow, quite a bit of unexpected info for one day. I'll break down what this has done for me so far:

1) The direction of the new game looks stunning. Increcible art so far, and if it translates well to in-game it's gonna blow ME1's sense of wonder out of the water! I'm digging that

2) Story has me very worried since a bad one is gonna ruin every other impression I get of the game.
2.a) Lead Writer is Halo 4 guy. This is NOT good judging from his track-record.
2.b) Mac Walters is now Creative Director. This can both be good or bad. I'm skeptical.
2.c) Mac Walters mentioned the theme of "Organics and Synthetics" in today's stream. It sent a breeze of cold air over my body. Did he not pick up ANY crisitism of ME3's ending at all? If ME4's main focus is that conflict, fine... just don't revert it in the final 10 minutes of the story for some meaningless artistic statement that doesn't really connect to anything in reality, and then needlessly sacrifice our protagonist for a cause he was never fighting for.

3) Gameplay is still in the dark, but they did talk about the ambition, and it is a good one. Exploration is key, "Choices is key", story is also key. I'm sold on the former. I think they can nail that. They're off to a great start with concept art. Conceptual footage from E3 2014 looked pretty okay and they mentioned today that Mako will be a focus but they will never "force" us to explore or drive in the Mako. They imply that we get to exit the Mako in most circumstances as well, so we can really explore every detail of the environments.

That's about it. Some very negative news on the story front as a knee-jerk reaction, but otherwise the concept art leaves me excited for NextME. So far so good, and a little bit of bad.

Asbear

Banned

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

Those options sound perfect. Maybe fix the handling on the Mako ever so slightly? Put in some surprise NextME teases, a la Halo Master Cheif Collection teasing Halo 5? Extra ending that smacks the shit out of all the current ME3 endings? Not a happy one, just one that contains narrative coherence, e.g. no sudden "Synthetics and Organics will always--" What the fuck are you talking about!?!?

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- All the DLC

I don't know if you said anything about this , but I like to know what is exactly possible to change . Anyway..

-Some control changes to the Me1 controls
-All DLC including preorder DLC
-Some combat(not REDONE) changes to ME1. Maybe to aiming, gun handling , taking cover, and movement that's it some stuff could stay the same like overheating and the stats. Ideally I would like it to be more to Me3, but I know it can't be completely redone.
-Difficulty changes to ME2 on higher difficulty levels like less shield and armor guys
-Balance changes for some class
-UI changes to ME1
-Additional content that hints towards the next Mass effect game
-Higher textures
-Squad and enemy AI changes/improvements
-Sound improvements
-Better lighting
- A universal codex
-More and better character customization options
- If doing the 'streamless experience' introduce tie-ends between each game
Everything else was a good idea.

cyen

I would buy a Mass Effect Collection for ps4 without a blink, even though i already finished the 3 games.

I think im having withdraw symptons by not playing Mass Effect for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom