• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, yall really hate Jontron that much huh?
Of course not. If I ever saw him I'd go shake his hand and tell him how much his shows used to make me laugh my head off. I'd treat him like he was my brother.

But like a real brother I would know when he is doing something that I believe isn't right and would greatly disagree with him on it. We're both adults so we should have an adult conversation if needs be.

These are just my thoughts though.

grim-tales

"Sorry, your computer does not meet the minimum specifications required to run this product. Please review the details below for more information."

Aww. Thought so.

I checked that out and I found my computer is old for a lot of games like Life Is Strange, Zero Escape and Yooka Laylee :(

L Thammy

I like to imagine that the people who make uninformed driveby posts follow them up by leaning back in their chair, taking a puff of their cigarette, and smiling smugly to themselves. Maybe whispering "that'll show em".

Kenstar

I like to imagine that the people who make uninformed driveby posts follow them up by leaning back in their chair, taking a puff of their cigarette, and smiling smugly to themselves. Maybe whispering "that'll show em".

sipping on that Racism Zero (way closer to Classic Racism than Diet)

I hate that he had to out himself two weeks before the launch of Yooka-Laylee. A game that a ton of devoted employees put years of their lives into.

I don't appreciate the heavy Junior bias around here.
It's kind of hard not to have a bias when the majority of the people banned in threads like this are junior accounts that are either used to post vile bullshit or people that came in here to defend Jon without even hearing what he said.

L Thammy

I think JonTron's racist worldview is a little like junior bias, in that he thinks that sticking around and building up his postcount will eventually let him shed that shameful nonwhite status.

Dryk

Playtonic simply didn't want him in their game. Neither GAF nor pretty much anyone else raised a stink about it, there was no "crusade" against the game prior to Jon's removal. That little detail was popularized by just alt-right fuckwad propaganda.
If Playtonic were that amenable to outrage they would be more likely to fold under the alt-right shitstorm than Messofanego calmly asking them for comment. Not being able to figure out why their attacks don't produce results must drive them insane.

Nanashrew

Banned
If Playtonic were that amenable to outrage they would be more likely to fold under the alt-right shitstorm than Messofanego calmly asking them for comment. Not being able to figure out why their attacks don't produce results must drive them insane.

They already hit insanity a while back by creating false narratives and conspiracy theories.

Most likely they make their post and immediately forget about it all.

It's kind of hard not to have a bias when the majority of the people banned in threads like this are junior accounts that are either used to post vile bullshit or people that came in here to defend Jon without even hearing what he said.

There's a very good reason for that. Just browse some of the more controversial threads in the history of neoGAF.

Oh sorry I should have said /s

I am aware. I see Juniors getting shot down left and right.

Dai101

Banned
Wow, yall really hate Jontron that much huh?

This_7824a9_5703098.jpg

jholmes

Im curious, has he been sacked from a hat in time yet?

Have the devs commented?

The devs have brought a few self-inflicted PR nightmares upon themselves in the past, so maybe they're cutting him but want to keep it quiet, or maybe they're planning to let him slip through. (As I recall the lead Gears for Breakfast guy is a big fan, or perhaps I'm confusing him with some other similar YouTuber I don't watch.)

I will say this: Nobody is up in arms about this on the Hat in Time Facebook or Kickstarter pages.

I don't think this will hurt the game overall , at least I would assume and hope not. The team seems like really good guys from what I have seen.

Can you cite any examples where this type of backlash has hurt the sales of a game? This is a Banjo Kazooie clone for crying out loud! The optimist in me wants to believe that nothing will come of this.

The thing that boggles my mind most is that YL is using the same grunting pantomime, gibberish dialogue they used in Banjo. So whether they kept JonTron in or not, it's not like this was some important prestige assignment for the guy.

Was this game even on the radar of many alt right types to begin with? I always assumed that they were more of the type who gravitated to Call of Duty and Far Cry to be honest.

Tommy DJ

Was this game even on the radar of many alt right types to begin with? I always assumed that they were more of the type who gravitated to Call of Duty and Far Cry to be honest.

The alt right are basically the weedy version of the ultra far right. Nothing but mostly maladjusted men who never really matured and had their social interaction defined by 4Chan and Reddit style encounters. They're the sorts who are terrified of minorities from entering and diversifying their nerdy hobbies that they once had total control of. See Gamersgate and alt-right manipulation of the Hugo Awards.

Where traditional far right groups would actually be willing to get into physical conflict, the alt-right are a lot more skittish in reports I've seen. Heck, Milo's university speech entourage basically ran when the counter protests started to get physical.

So a Banjo Kazooie clone is probably up their alley considering it most appeals to the nostalgia where videos games apparently had no politics and weren't invaded by SJWs.

The alt right are basically the weedy version of the ultra far right. Nothing but mostly maladjusted men who never really matured and had their social interaction defined by 4Chan and Reddit style encounters. They're the sorts who are terrified of minorities from entering and diversifying their nerdy hobbies that they once had total control of. See Gamersgate and alt-right manipulation of the Hugo Awards.

Where traditional far right groups would actually be willing to get into physical conflict, the alt-right are a lot more skittish in reports I've seen. Heck, Milo's university speech entourage basically ran when the counter protests started to get physical.

So a Banjo Kazooie clone is probably up their alley considering it most appeals to the nostalgia where videos games apparently had no politics and weren't invaded by SJWs.

Dude, I played Banjo Kazooie back in the day! The game was the least political game you could ask for in a year that delivered Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear Solid, and Tekken 3.

It blows my mind. Are these the same people who were up in arms over censorship in games after Columbine, because ironically, they now seem to align with the Jack Thompsons of the world.

I, and I'm sure, many others here have grown up on coarse entertainment mediums that were anti politically correct. I watched Married....with Children and Benny Hill. I was a fan of Bill Hicks and Sam Kinison, and was a regular fan of Howard Stern back in the 1990's. I, and many others, were what you'd consider a nerd in all the classic sense possible. But I never verged into racism or misogyny. I did find solace in videogames, yes, but I was never consumed by them to the extent that my life centered on them exclusively. But at the same time, I never had multiplayer options. Anyone Genesis owners back in the day remember how Sega would market their forthcoming modem? It was like this sublime innovation that would change everything. I'm still that way. I never liked online gameplay and felt that it hobbled the singleplayer version of a game.

It's really fucked up how this hobby has grown and degenerated over the past decade. Not that I ever needed this hobby to be validated by the mainstream to give meaning to my life, but it was kind of cool to have it acknowledged in pop culture without all the usual baggage associated with the hobby, and it's a shame that we're almost back to square one in that regard.

I have to admit that Gamergate flew under my radar. But the particular details that I've since brushed up on really seem to amount to petty shit. I can't believe that this became what it ultimately became. So I am paying some attention to how this present situation will play out with Yooka Laylee.

I really loved Banjo Kazooie back in the day and wish Playtonic nothing but success for Yooka Laylee, but this almost seems like a self inflicted wound that they could have otherwise avoided. I'm not blaming them. It was a naive mistake on their part, but what were the net positives of bringing aboard a Youtube personality in the first place? I support their desire to distance themselves from anyone that could taint their product, but it concerns me that this could end up becoming another alt-right fiasco.... over a fucking Banjo Kazooie clone no less.

sphinx

the piano man
can someone please summarize the 4000 posts in this thread?

I read OP, but I am fairly certain it has all been a story in the making

Youtuber who rose to fame pretending he was mentally disabled

can someone please summarize the 4000 posts in this thread?

I read OP, but I am fairly certain it has all been a story in the making

JonTron said some stupid shit on Twitter.
He got called on it by another streamer.
Got into a two hour debate wherein he said a shitload of not even borderline racist stuff.
PlayTronic kicked him out of their game.

jb1234

JonTron said some stupid shit on Twitter.
He got called on it by another streamer.
Got into a two hour debate wherein he said a shitload of not even borderline racist stuff.
PlayTronic kicked him out of their game.

Has he said anything publicly about this yet? I'm guessing not.

Has he said anything publicly about this yet? I'm guessing not.

Made a statement video where he basically doubled down on what he said. He's a full-blown racist, it's really sad to see. Like, literally Stormfront level racism to the point where believes non-whites pollute the gene pool.

edit: Or do you mean about being kicked from the game? He tweeted something not stupid for once.

jb1234

Made a statement video where he basically doubled down on what he said. He's a full-blown racist, it's really sad to see. Like, literally Stormfront level racism to the point where believes non-whites pollute the gene pool.

edit: Or do you mean about being kicked from the game? He tweeted something not stupid for once.

Gross. Well, he's made his bed.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I checked that out and I found my computer is old for a lot of games like Life Is Strange, Zero Escape and Yooka Laylee :(
Oh no, you really need to find a way to play LiS and the Zero Escape games, they are incredible! (haven't played Zero Time Dilemma yet, so only talking about the first 2)

Gross. Well, he's made his bed.

Yeah, but apparently there's a contingent of angry gamers who are intent on mass boycotting the game to the point of advocating piracy or poisoning the well for those who support Playtonic dropping JonTron by falsely claiming that it supports white supremacy.

Yeah, but apparently there's a contingent of angry gamers who are intent on mass boycotting the game to the point of advocating piracy or poisoning the well for those who support Playtonic dropping JonTron by falsely claiming that it supports white supremacy.

.... the exact thing they said they are dropping Jafari for?

grim-tales

Oh no, you really need to find a way to play LiS and the Zero Escape games, they are incredible! (haven't played Zero Time Dilemma yet, so only talking about the first 2)

I've played ZE on other systems, but wanted to get 'The Nonary Games' for the remastered version of 999 (999 was AMAZING on DS) :)
Not finished Zero Time Dilema yet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom