• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

mike4001_

For those who didn't notice there are 2 versions, the main differences are:

-Hardcore:
1440p
8gb ram
128GB SSD
Built-in 5.0 speakers
Built-in cam and webcam (8.0MP/2.0MP)
Telescopic analog sticks
Li-Po 6120mAh battery
164.1 x 84 x 1.8 mm,
320 g

-Lite:
720p
4gb ram
64GB SSD
stereo speakers
Built-in cam and webcam (5.0MP/1.3MP)
non-Telescopic analog sticks
Li-Po 4080mAh battery
160.0 x 81 x 1.4 mm
245 g

I would buy the Lite version honestly.

I assume this should be 14 and 18 mm thick ?

(And not 1,4 and 1,8 mm)

belmonkey

All this stuff about handhelds really makes me wonder what a steam controller based handheld would look like in relation. A Steam link and controller mixed into a W10 handheld that could natively play basic games / old emulators or stream games from your pc sounds like an ideal to me.

There should be enough already out on the market to be enough to satisfying demand.

Things are looking bleak for a new iteration of the device though.

I think people are overreacting. Last I heard, Intel was cancelling the Sofia Atom chips for phones.
Anyway, I'm still on the edge to get it... On one side, the device looks great to me... On the other... Heat is a problem that I have yet to seen solved.

MUnited83

For you.
Final main board

ChvfSNSXIAALeG3.jpg

ChvfSFrWsAACBDV.jpg

Goddamn they're moving fast.

See, this is how you make a crowdfunded hardware project. Ever since the beginning you can tell these guys were serious, prepared and knew how to get things done right. I especially got that feeling when I saw they were taking applications for testers, it really shows they're already planning their next move when they have the finished product in their hands.

MJPIA

7BIBlTD.jpg

Supposedly going by the forum on the gpd's website a complete prototype should be finished by the end of this month or early next month.

SiDCrAzY

Very interested in this. Might be my next handheld since Sony is done with handhelds it seems and I'm not confident in Nintendo.

MJPIA

Very clumsily bashing my way around the Chinese gpd baidu forums and saw this.
Its official paste it (GPD handheld bar) learned the news: GPD WIN of crowdfunding is far from over, the next stop will open the Japanese crowdfunding. After the end of the Japanese crowdfunding, crowdfunding will be at home, not surprisingly, in June and July will start Taobao and Jingdong crowdfunding.
There are players on this handheld console interested may wish to pay more attention to their official website http://www.softwincn.com or http://www.gpd.hk latest developments.
There is a large amount of backers from Japan already so they'll probably rake in quite a bit more by the time its all over.
I am going to assume the 5200mah battery they used to boot up the partially assembled prototype is temporary and not the battery us backers will be getting.

MJPIA

More tweaks and what I think is a complete prototype on the baidu forum.
Before
After
Dear Backers.

Here is some new update for Mouse Mode:

1. When slide the switch button rightwards into the Mouse mode,the D-Pad,left stick, ABXY all can function as usual.
2. L1 and L2 are set as the left mouse button, R1, R2 are set to the right mouse button, It is convenient for long fingers player and who are used to click L2,R2.

The prototype.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4566776982
Clicking on the picture in the link will lead you to a gigantic version of the image.

pQWYH0x.gif

These guys are pros, it's kinda weird to see this kind of follow up from an Indiegogo campaign, it's like we stepped into a bizzaro universe.

Now we just need to see what it can play.

Pejo

I've been watching this thing come together, it's a pretty cool project. After seeing the amount of bezel in the final prototype, though, I feel that it really takes away its "wow!" factor. I'm sure it was enough of a challenge just to get the guts to fit into the size it is now, but it's still a shame.

JeffG

Lol, the gif.
However, is it touchscreen right?

That kinda makes me laugh. I have an ASUS T100 tablet. Due to being a klutz, I broke the screen (twice) Fixed it once, didn't bother the second time. But I don't miss the touch. Just use the keyboard and touchpad. (Plus win 10 still falls behind Android and Apple for touch control.)

L.O.R.D

i still find the keyboard part is not necessary,if they include Bluetooth controller it will be better.

also high res screen will result to hard to see text on the screen,720P is max for a company like GPD,they don't have to put 2K screen on something like that,no factory is forcing them to do it.

Nothing against these guys buy wouldn't just be easier to get a cherry trail windows tablet and use a Xbox controller. There are a lot of windows tablet options other than surface that are way cheaper that run cherry trail processors now.

Nothing against these guys buy wouldn't just be easier to get a cherry trail windows tablet and use a Xbox controller. There are a lot of windows tablet options other than surface that are way cheaper that run cherry trail processors now.

Form factor is a problem though. It's the size of a handheld.

i still find the keyboard part is not necessary,if they include Bluetooth controller it will be better.

also high res screen will result to hard to see text on the screen,720P is max for a company like GPD,they don't have to put 2K screen on something like that,no factory is forcing them to do it.

I'm actually interested in it because of the keyboard. I'm looking forward to whipping this thing out whenever and wherever I need it. I've always found traditional laptops inconvenient because of their size, so the GPD Win appeals to me in a major way.

MJPIA

Looks like they've opened up China preorders until mid june I think assuming google translate is correct.
https://world.taobao.com/item/53263...&spm=a1z10.5006-c.w25161-12508239259.1.q6M8rV
1800 Yuan which is around 275 USD I think.

You can see what the final battery is in the image and its definitely larger than the one used to boot up the motherboard.
http://tieba.baidu.com/photo/p?kw=g...da702dd014c086e063f296e9605087bf408d1cb81/pn1
Close up of the plastic bottom half without any internals.

Supposedly Japan crowndfunding was supposed to open up a week ago but I haven't seen anything about that since then.

MUnited83

For you.
Looks like they've opened up China preorders until mid june I think assuming google translate is correct.
https://world.taobao.com/item/53263...&spm=a1z10.5006-c.w25161-12508239259.1.q6M8rV
1800 Yuan which is around 175 USD I think.

You can see what the final battery is in the image and its definitely larger than the one used to boot up the motherboard.
http://tieba.baidu.com/photo/p?kw=g...da702dd014c086e063f296e9605087bf408d1cb81/pn1
Close up of the plastic bottom half without any internals.

Supposedly Japan crowndfunding was supposed to open up a week ago but I haven't seen anything about that since then.

Wow, that's super cheap.

MJPIA

Japan crowdfunding opened today/yesterday and is already sold out.
https://www.makuake.com/project/gpd-win/
They only had 10 available for 34000 yen and 40 for 37000 yen.
Double checking my numbers to make sure I'm correct this time and today thats the equivalent of $307 and $334 USD according to google.

Its got one bit of info I don't see in the indiegogo about sales to the public.

June: Engineering sample rising

July to September: debugging, analysis work

October: Makuake pre-sale start

Next spring: the domestic mass production sales start
IGG also lists the Win shipping out to backers in October but as far as I can tell they never said when they'd go on sale to the general public so I guess it'll almost be a year before any non backers will get the chance to purchase one.

Geekbuying has it listed for presale for $330
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-...ss-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html
It say delivery will be in June but theres no way that's right.

Guesstimating from various crowdfunding sites in different countries and I'd say GPD has crossed over 2000 backers which seems pretty good.

Going to be a great portable Steam/Emulator machine

Not sure what the maximum it can run.

Not expecting much but it should serve my needs for quite a few key games

MJPIA

They reopened the Japanese crowdfunding and are up to 7 million yen and uh theres a thing.
https://www.makuake.com/project/gpd-win/
Original text for any of you that can read it.
【更新情報】2016年6月3日追記 追加納品のご案内

クラウドファンディングを開始させて頂き、初日で完売まで漕ぎ着ける事が出来、非常に嬉しく思っています!
ご支援頂きました皆様、本当にありがとうございました!!

多くの方から追加リターンのご要望も頂いており、嬉しい限りです。
何とかお応えせねばと思い、早々にメーカーと交渉をさせて頂きました結果、多くの皆様へお届け出来る手配が出来ました。

さすがに初回と同じ価格でのご提供は難しく、メーカーと交渉の末、ようやく3万円台となる「39,800円」を引出しましたので、Makuake価格としてこちらでお願い出来ればと思います。どうかご了承ください。

またGPD WINの一部仕様変更に関してメーカーから連絡が入りましたのでご連絡させて頂きます。
主な箇所として供給性向上のためCPUがAtom Z5 Z8550 -> Atom Z5 Z8500へ変更となりました。
またMicro USB -> USB type Cへ、mini HDMI -> HDMI typeDへ変更となりました。
ネットワークが強化されました。

スペック表を更新させて頂きましたのでご確認頂きたくお願いいたします。黄色マークの箇所が仕様変更となりました。
Google translated.
[Update] June 3, 2016 postscript additional delivery of guidance

I will start a crowdfunding, it is possible to row up to until sold out in the first day, We are very pleased!
Everyone gave your support, thank you very much! !

It has been also request additional return from a lot of people, I'm glad.
I think if take into somehow meet, a result that I was allowed to manufacturers and negotiate early, was able to deliver can arrange to many of everyone.

Indeed offer is difficult at the same price as the first time, the end of the manufacturer and negotiation, because we pulled out the "39,800 yen", which finally becomes the 30,000 yen level, I think that if you can give me in here as Makuake price. Please please acknowledge.

In addition, since we will be contacted from the manufacturer with respect to some specification change of GPD WIN I will contact you.
CPU for the supply improvement as the main point is Atom Z5 Z8550 -> has been changed to Atom Z5 Z8500.

Also Micro USB - to> USB type C, mini HDMI - has been changed to> HDMI typeD.
Network has been enhanced.

Since I was allowed to update the specifications table thank you want Please confirm. Location of the yellow mark became the specification change.
Google translated.
Original Japanese spec sheet.
New one.
Before we get up in arms I am gonna note that I dunno if this is just for the Japanese version, a miscommunication between GPD and Midoriya or if this is gonna happen to everyone.
Several people have asked about it so we'll know for sure soon.

MJPIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3LyKmAC_KU
Video of the win playing asphalt 8, which from what I understand is a poorly optimized port originally released for phones.
They probably should of pickd something that'd run smoother for better first impressions but at least we get to see it in use.

Highly likely we will end up with the Z8500.
Really thanks for your support.I am so sorry for that.Cause the Intel was cancelled the following development of the atom series processor. They haven't supply Z8550 to market now.So we have the supplying problem of Z8550, But we will try our best to solve this problem.If in the next three month,Intel supply Z8550 to market,we will certainly choose the Z8550,if not,we can only use Z8500...
Sucks but it is what it is and GPD can't really do anything about it.

Makuake is up to 442 backers and 17,421,600 yen which is roughly 162K usd with 51 days to go.
I don't know what was used to create this chart posted at the pyra forums about the indiegogo campaign
but Japan still likes their handhelds.

I would not be surprised to see more small Chinese companies jumping in making palmtop pcs catering to the Japanese market.
The future looks good for those of us who have wanted clamshell devices.

SiDCrAzY

New video, playing DMC4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_68V2Vtgg

Eeeh... don't know what ot think. It seems to be running at native res and looks good, but the framerate is low. I don't know if it's because of graphical options or because the device is throttling.

Looks pretty good. I'm not that senstive to framerate, I'd have to have it in my hands to really notice it.

That's PS3/360 gen game 0_0

I will finally have my portable Tales of Symphonia. This will be my favorite handheld ever.

Philippo

Would this be able to run PS2 emulation and recent indie games like Hyper Light Drifter and Shovel Knight?

Also, aproximative prices for both models?

N.A

Banned
Would this be able to run PS2 emulation and recent indie games like Hyper Light Drifter and Shovel Knight?

Also, aproximative prices for both models?

No to PS2 emulation, yes to the others.

It should be able to emulate up to Dreamcast/PSP level very well.

Eila

Looks pretty good. I'm not that senstive to framerate, I'd have to have it in my hands to really notice it.

That's PS3/360 gen game 0_0

I will finally have my portable Tales of Symphonia. This will be my favorite handheld ever.

I don't think this will handle Symphonia at any framerate. I mean DMC4 and other MT Framework games are famous for running on tosters.

SiDCrAzY

I don't think this will handle Symphonia at any framerate. I mean DMC4 and other MT Framework games are famous for running on tosters.

Ooof really? That kinda deflates my enthusiasm for this device. Was hoping it would handle something my Nvidia Shield couldn't.

Nah I think it will. My baytrail tavlet does handle it at 20fps.
The problem is to know at what res and settings DMC4 runs here

I applaud them for what they're doing and the speed that they're doing it in is mind boggling. But I'm glad I didn't preorder, I think I would only be disappointed when I get something that can't handle anything more than my current laptop. But I am looking forward to what might come out in the future. I'm hoping enough sales of this will light a fire under someone's ass at a bigger company to make something crazy. Or maybe GPD can make their own worthy successor? Who knows, but I think I'll wait out for a better device.

MJPIA

What the finish will be.
Didn't feel like rehosting it myself so image again so image from the dingoonity forum.
kk4oozn.jpg

There were 1891 backers on indiegogo and $588,345 raised, China (http://z.jd.com/project/details/58322.html) has 375 backers and 680034 Yuan/103,313.70 USD (1665 backers technically but 1285 are there for a giveaway that costs 1 yuan to enter), Japan has 588 backers and 23,232,400 Yen/219,981.29 USD and their have been 32 preorders on Dinodirect apparently.
So roughly 2886 backers so far and around 922,199.99 USD raised.
China crowdfunding has 57 days to go and Japan 43 days.
While crowdfunding tapers down over time I feel like its safe to say they'll cross a million by the time all the crowdfunding ends.

I'd say this has been successful enough that other companies will take notice and come out with their own clamshell window devices in time so the future looks bright for me.

Eila

Nah I think it will. My baytrail tavlet does handle it at 20fps.
The problem is to know at what res and settings DMC4 runs here

Oh yeah now that I think about it didn't the Special Edition also up the specs considerably? Maybe it's that version we're seeing on the video.

brainpann

I'm a bit confused- I'm in the US and was wondering if it is still possible to back this thing? I checked the indigogo page and there is still an active back it button. Do I simply back it for 299.00? I'm used to Kickstarter where you pick your reward tier.

Top Bottom