• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Reportedly Prepping Another “Thinner” PlayStation 4 Model

A Playstation so thin, its portable....

Calling it now: It won't have an optical drive. By removing it, they'd be able to cut back on the power and space requirements, and save on costs too. It would be a good way of Sony testing the waters of a digital-only console, to see if it's viable to remove it for the PlayStation 5. Plus, anyone who buys this console would have to use the PSN Store, which works in Sony's favour.

That, or it's a slimmer Pro. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DS4 build quality is shit. Has been since day one and even the one that comes with the pro is still built shoddily.

This generation for controllers has been terrible for reliability (although great for ergonomics at the very least). The Dualshock 4 sticks peel, but the XB1 controllers will straight up stop working over time. Seriously, we've had three controllers now acting as if someone is consistently holding a particular direction on a stick. It's gotten so problematic, we're considering getting warranties on the controller. Out of every single controller we've owned for the past two generations (XB360, PS3, Wiimotes, Wii U Pro Controllers, and PS4), they're the only controllers we've had to fully replace.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Now they have external HDD support, it means they can also cut down on the internal storage. A price war is coming.

PS4 $150
PS4pro $200 - $250

Scorpio $???

AmyS

Calling it now: It won't have an optical drive. By removing it, they'd be able to cut back on the power and space requirements, and save on costs too. It would be a good way of Sony testing the waters of a digital-only console, to see if it's viable to remove it for the PlayStation 5. Plus, anyone who buys this console would have to use the PSN Store, which works in Sony's favour.

I don't think this will happen. Not for PS4 and certainly not for PS5 where games are going to get even larger.

Welfare

Would they release a slim Pro so soon? That seems very strange that Sony would manufacture the Pro for maybe a year before introducing the slim model for cheaper.

kyser73

Count me in camp noopticaldrive.

If the drop the HDD in place of a 256gb NAND drive & then say 'use external storage' you're looking at a significantly smaller & cheaper console, and one that would enable Sony to test the waters on the feasibility of an all-digital form factor variant for PS5.

How much more could the Pro possibly cost to make, especially a slim version?

you do understand companies are in the business of making profit and improving margins?

In b4 'Sony will cut price of pro to $199 to combat scorpio'.

Why does the market leader has to be 'reactive' about a laggard?

That would explain why they're not pushing the Pro much right now. As a pro owner I'd be a little miffed if they put out a better model in less than a year.

kyser73

That would be an idiotic move.
Why remove something that will reduce the amount of software you will sell?

Why would it reduce the amount of software you sell if it's an option between a version with an optical drive and one without?

E2a to really clarify this:

PS4 Slim still available
PS4 Digital Supermodel ALSO available

HardRojo

They will not remove the drive. That'd impact their physical sales, which, as we know from reports, make up the majority of software sales on consoles.
Plus I don't think they'd want to confuse consumers who might not be as tech savvy as your average gaffer.

Mr Swine

Banned
They will not remove the drive. That'd impact their physical sales, which, as we know from reports, make up the majority of software sales on consoles.
Plus I don't think they'd want to confuse consumers who might not be as tech savvy as your average gaffer.

Even if they would still sell the PS4/Provwith BD drive? They could potentially sell a good amount of PS4 at a cheaper price without a drive

Bioshocker

The PS4 Pro isn't that big to begin with. PS3 and Xbox One were consoles in desperate need of a slim model. PS4 never was. But I understand why Sony's doing it. Although I still think the launch PS4 is the best looking one.

Elios83

Hardware revisions are made every year to be able to cut manufacturing costs and so the retail price. This year won't be different especially for the Pro that Sony will position against Scorpio so they'll be more active in trying to sell that model.
But slimmer models? For that to happen they need to shrink the APU in the console. It happened last year, I doubt it will happen again this year, they'd need a 8-10nm process for the investement to make sense. Imo it's not happening. Price cuts and internal revisions instead are very likely.

At this point they should consider making a PS4 with the Switch form factor. I mean if Nintendo can do so well with the Switch, Sony can hit it out of the park.

Fredrik

I'd be down for a thinner pro, but the timing does seem suspect.
The timing is perfect, right at the Scorpio launch. Hopefully they'll add an UHD drive. I would have no issues with an external power supply either if that takes some heat away and makes it less noisy.

Lady Gaia

At this point they should consider making a PS4 with the Switch form factor. I mean if Nintendo can do so well with the Switch, Sony can hit it out of the park.

It's not obvious that you could support the existing PS4 library in a portable form factor. The PS4 Slim's power demands would run an iPhone Plus sized battery down in roughly ten minutes Would Sony really want to start another ground up platform with all new software at this point? Or will they wait until the PS4 library runs well on future 7nm production silicon?

HariKari

it would make sense for Sony to take it to Project Scorpio with a redesign and price cut for the Pro

The pro isn't really going to compete with Scorpio directly, spec wise. The price cut would have to be pretty solid.

It's not obvious that you could support the existing PS4 library in a portable form factor. The PS4 Slim's power demands would run an iPhone Plus sized battery down in roughly ten minutes Would Sony really want to start another ground up platform with all new software at this point? Or will they wait until the PS4 library runs well on future 7nm production silicon?

No new software and all. Keep the library, that is their strength. Introduce a PS4 Go. Underpowered version of the PS4. Just like the Pro but goes the other way. All games run in 720p/600p.

Top Bottom