• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Appearance of "Stuck Pixels" on PS4 Pro since last update

Finding that occasionally I get what looks like stuck pixels (what looks like 3 white pixels horizontally) when using my ps4 pro since the last update, I never noticed it until it dropped though. It solves it when I go to the dashboard. Anyone else getting this? My ps4 doesn't sound loud or get hot.

It shows up on the stream when I stream on twitch too. So its not my TV I do not appear to be alone

my reddit post

Rellik

I thought this was a Mass Effect issue, didn't realise it was a Pro issue.

Here's my post from the Mass Effect OT

Does anyone else keep getting this white line stuck on the screen that moves with the camera? Restarting the game gets rid of it, but I've had to restart twice now and I don't want to keep having to do this throughout the whole game.

masseffect_andromeda_zysxm.png

4651466fun8.png

masseffect_andromeda_53ubr.png

6516546546nksv8.png

Jonnax

Well if it was happening on a PC then I'd say the GPU was on its way out.
But since other people are also experiencing it, then it could be a software bug.

Guymelef

Umm I think I saw that for a moment in a Nioh prerendered scene, a "green Dead line" at first I thought it was my TV, then I thought it was the scene.
Changed the tv input and then was gone.

Intel_89

This used to happen to me when I forgot to close the Twitch app before playing games. It never happened again since I realized that was the cause of the issue, mine is a 2nd gen Phat PS4.

Jb

Noticed the exact same thing a few days ago.
Sort of relieved this isn't an issue with my TV...

But since other people are also experiencing it, then it could be a software bug.

Yes this. On PC this is the kind of artifacting you see with memory errors. Usually when you OC the VRAM too high. looks like errors in one of the buffers to me. But it could just be a bug too.

glaurung

These have been around with certain games since before PS4 Pro was released.

Back then, pressing the PS button to go to the menu and then returning to the game would usually clear them.

I secretly suspect that this defect is the result of overheating - either due to poor ventilation of the console or some games kicking the device cooling into overdrive (case in point: AC Unity menu, Horizon map screen pre-patch, Just Cause 3 being shit etc.).

Zaru

Saw it once while playing Uncharted 4 the other day. Nothing gamebreaking I wonder what the cause is.

Rellik

Yeah thats where I noticed it but I saw it on youtube also yesterday. I will start to screencap it. Any reports of a fix inbound?

I've not heard anything about it until this thread. I seriously thought it was an issue with Mass Effect and it was down to Bioware to fix it, but looks like it's a PS4 issue.

It only appeared after cutscenes.

ViciousDS

Banned
These have been around with certain games since before PS4 Pro was released.

Back then, pressing the PS button to go to the menu and then returning to the game would usually clear them.

I secretly suspect that this defect is the result of overheating - either due to poor ventilation of the console or some games kicking the device cooling into overdrive (case in point: AC Unity menu, Horizon map screen pre-patch, Just Cause 3 being shit etc.).

It think it's amazing at how vast of an experience games offer based on the fan alone. I could play horizon zero dawn and have a consistent tolerable fan noise despite how much GPU that game just pulls for the Pro.

I could then play a game like NBA 2k17 and my pro is ready for take off.

NewDust

It's not a pro only issue, I noticed it on my Vanilla PS4 too.

This. I also had/have this on my OG PS4. Though it only showed up in Sleeping Dogs and only after prolonged play sessions. Sadly, pulling up the Dashboard doesn't fix it for me.

I could then play a game like NBA 2k17 and my pro is ready for take off.

Well, NBA 2k17 runs at native 4k, not a suprise it gets loud.

Rellik

Yeah, going to dashboard never fixed it for me in the 3 times it happened. I had to actually close the game.

I've not heard anything about it until this thread. I seriously thought it was an issue with Mass Effect and it was down to Bioware to fix it, but looks like it's a PS4 issue.

It only appeared after cutscenes.

Yeah I only noticed it since playing with Mass Effect, I am glad it was not my tv but secretly sad because that could of motivated my wife to want a 4k tv lol

Weird, I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

Also this thread just reminded me of the dead pixel in the upper left of my monitor that I have been trying to forget. It's absolutely unnoticable unless I think about it... which I'm now doing.

tripleV

I get the white line in the top left corner of my screen, doesn't matter what I play. When I hit the PS button it goes away. On PS Pro.

Zafir

Or you over-clocked your GPU too much and it's causing artifacts on the screen. :p

Considering how widespread this seems to be, they must have done something to the firmware.

I hadn't noticed it but I haven't played my PS4 much recently.

coljae

I've had this also on my Pro, pressing the PS button instantly clears it. Weird.

edit: I've only noticed it on Bloodborne & Stories: The Path of Destinies, previously I played the Nathan Drake Collection and didn't notice any issues. Running boost mode on permanently.

psychotron

This exact thing happened when playing Nier! I was nervous it was my tv, but a reboot cleared it. Wtf Sony, you gotta fix this.

MrNelson

Banned
I've had it happen on occasion with my vanilla PS4, but it's been going on much longer than just the recent update. It goes away when I go to the system menu though, and it doesn't happen that often.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Finding that occasionally I get what looks like stuck pixels (what looks like 3 white pixels horizontally) when using my ps4 pro since the last update, I never noticed it until it dropped though. It solves it when I go to the dashboard. Anyone else getting this? My ps4 doesn't sound loud or get hot.

It shows up on the stream when I stream on twitch too. So its not my TV I do not appear to be alone

my reddit post
I used to get this only in destiny on my launch ps4 it went away & haven't seen it on my pro tbh it disappeared from the original too but it only stood out in Destiny for me

My mate had it in destiny for a while too

danowat

Banned
When did they start to show up for people?

First time I saw them was when Assetto Corsa came out, so maybe August?.

It was fairly warm in August, and my old PS4 was a launch model, so reasonably old, and I had never cleaned it out, so I am going for the overheating reason.

Taker666

I used to get this now and then with the PS4/Pro and the PSVR..I assumed initially it was something to do with the breakout box....

...but I think it's actually down to the HDMI cables included..

I wanted my PSVR box further way from the console just so I had a bit more room to play around with the headset so I bought a couple of new 5m 4k HDMI cables ..and despite them being longer I've not had the stuck pixel issue since getting those new cables. Maybe the official cables aren't as well shielded ?

I used to get this now and then with the PS4/Pro and the PSVR..I assumed initially it was something to do with the breakout box....

...but I think it's actually down to the HDMI cables included..

I wanted my PSVR box further way from the console just so I had a bit more room to play around with the headset so I bought a couple of new 5m 4k HDMI cables ..and despite them being longer I've not had the stuck pixel issue since getting those new cables. Maybe the official cables aren't as well shielded ?

yeah I think I will remove my breaker box for now.

Top Bottom