• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Review Thread (Release Date - 1/15/13) Embargo is over!

Dahbomb

If they are worse, then I don't know if I'll bother. If they manage to be better, maybe I'll check it out.
Probably a bit better than DMC3, not as good as DMC4 overall definitely not as good as DMC1. There are a couple of enemies that are really good however some enemies have gimmick that bring the whole experience down. Plus a ton of enemies have this mechanical look to them which really homogenizes the overall design of the various enemies.

Riposte

Probably a bit better than DMC3, not as good as DMC4 overall definitely not as good as DMC1. There are a couple of enemies that are really good however some enemies have gimmick that bring the whole experience down. Plus a ton of enemies have this mechanical look to them which really homogenizes the overall design of the various enemies.

I think you might be overrating this game (and wouldn't be surprised if you are down on it later), but I'll give it a lot on PC.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think you might be overrating this game (and wouldn't be surprised if you are down on it later), but I'll give it a lot on PC.

He's talking specifically about the enemies in each entry. However, if we count bosses along with enemies, I think DMC3 is a clear winner over DmC.

Riposte

I know. Sorry for suddenly switching topics, but I was judging his overall analysis after hearing about the enemies.

iavi

I know. Sorry for suddenly switching topics, but I was judging his overall analysis after hearing about the enemies.

Is there there a reason you're going into the game with a negative preconception? Thinking a very neutral criticism like dahbombs to be overrating the game is to already have something in mind.

None of the negative reviews really touch on the serious problems with the combat :( It sucks that lovers of this genre are at such a minority they can't find representation in the gaming press. You wouldn't be too hard pressed to find a mainstream review that discusses the (over?)simplification of the just about any other genre. Even fighting games are generally more understood.

I just realised the BEST series analogy for this. Everyone keeps comparing it to things like Dragon Age 2 and other games that were objectively super broken, but I think it's most comparable to Civilization 5. Civ5 kept the essence of what made a civ game and introduced it to a huge new audience, but didn't have the extreme long-term appeal or depth of the previous entries; and this didn't matter to a huge swathe of players and journos. Civ5 had/has its share of vitriolic discussion to very similar ends.

So it seems a good majority of reviews for this game are out. It's sitting at around a 8.6 metacritic. I guess that's what most people expected. Only DMC1 and DMC3SE are higher. Ultimately, I think - as a hardcore DMC fan I find this reasonable. That is to say, DMC1>DMC3>DmC>DMC4>DMC2. DMC4, I've said before has the world's greatest character combat, but it's a shit game through and through on everything else.

Well DMC3SE is a re release so DmC is better than Devil May Cry 3. DMC3 is also sitting at the same score as that shit game DMC4. Metacritic exposing the truth that the blind fanboys can't handle.
that hurt to say

I'd really love to the the traffic GB is getting between the review and the quick look. Eagerly awaiting the PC release, and hope some new tech comes out soon.

ibiY2wIhOuaJGs.gif

3.4......the immature shitbiscuits on Metacritic user reviews strike again

i wonder if the editors of that site still do features that treat the user reviews like an accurate measure of anything, or if they wised up.

Man, so many people shitting on a decent game. I feel bad for ninja theory, they should never have agreed to take this on.

Nothing to feel bad about. Their PR antagonized an already on edge fan base on multiple occassions.They now have made a good game, and I think the good product will win out in the long run

DMC4, I've said before has the world's greatest character combat, but it's a shit game through and through on everything else.

I can't comprehend how this is an issue in a game that depends 100% on its combat, if the other elements somehow impeded the combat it would be an issue but they don't. It's akin to claiming Geometary Wars should lose points for having lack-lustre level design and no story.

Cheska

Everyone is more than entitled to their own opinion but a lot of these reviews seem like they're from people who haven't even picked up a copy of the game.

Man, so many people shitting on a decent game. I feel bad for ninja theory, they should never have agreed to take this on.

If getting shit on is the greatest possible downside then I'd say it was definitely worth it for NT. They finally got some experience making better than "eh" games(which they will hopefully carry on to future projects), and there's a chance for one of their games to actually sell well(I know HS did at least 1 million, but I have no idea how big that is relative to the game's budget).

sleepykyo

I was expecting low 90s.

Getting a chance to work on DMC and reap rewards of working an established brand has to be a huge step up from trying to start a new brand. Especially with Namco.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'd really love to the the traffic GB is getting between the review and the quick look. Eagerly awaiting the PC release, and hope some new tech comes out soon.

ibiY2wIhOuaJGs.gif
Why is Vinny clean shaven but Brad is allowed to have that thing on his face? There is no justice at the GB.

Uh, on topic... expectations can doom a game before it's even released. Or in some cases, give it a boost. If DmC had Capcpom's name on it instead of NT's there would have been hell to pay on review day.

Goon Boon

Banned
I find it incredibly distasteful that the poster has now run off after basically say huh derp, I worked with this author and she is right, this an amazing write up without having the decency to at least attempt to defend his and the authors stance.

It is doubly distasteful because being a member of this community even as a junior should give him a better understanding of the fact that there are multiple trains of thought on this game.

To break down the responce to this game, on neogaf alone much less anywhere else, simply as for and against using a trival metric as hair colour as the line in the sand is naively reductive and incredibly disingenuous.

But please, continue to nod in rapid agreement about my pale skin, lack of social skills and my cheeto encrusted tiny penis. Ad hominems make every arguement stronger.

I still want an actual response from JehutyRunner. I want to hear why the article was proof that the writer of the article was one of the best writers he's ever known, rather than cementing that they are incapable of generating anything of value.

This isn't about DmC, this is about linking to an article you may very well know is of poor quality and bailing when people want to know why you thought it was an example of quality games journalism.

I still want an actual response from JehutyRunner. I want to hear why the article was proof that the writer of the article was one of the best writers he's ever known, rather than cementing that they are incapable of generating anything of value. This isn't about DmC, this is about linking to an article you may know is of poor quality and bailing when people want to know why you thought it exemplified games journalism.
I know who JehutyRunner is and he was sticking up for Lauren Wainwright through the whole Doritosgate scandal.

Goon Boon

Banned
I know who JehutyRunner is and he was sticking up for Lauren Wainwright through the whole Doritosgate scandal.

Unless he posts why he thought the article wasn't just flame bait for hits, I'm choosing to believe that he was helping a friend get some attention for an article he knew was a worthless article.

Deitus

Just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of this game, and I feel like they were a lot more respectful of what this game is and what that means for the fanbase than any of the reviews of seen so far, including Brad's own review oddly. Basically they say that if you were expecting a game with ALL the technical depth of the previous games, this is not that game, but there's enough going on in the combat system to be enjoyable and deep without being impenetrable for newcomers.

I can appreciate that, even if I'm not a fan of the series moving in that direction. Certainly I appreciate Brad not trying to pretend that the combat in this game is either exactly the same or a massive improvement over previous entries, as so many other reviewers have attempted to do ("See look, you can combo in the air and switch weapons on the fly while building your combo meter, so clearly the combat system is every bit as good as DMC3"). And I especially appreciate that they didn't try to pretend that fans of the DMC series had no reason to dislike this game outside of hair color.

However, one thing they said that really bugged me was when they basically said "If you want an old DMC style game, play Bayonetta 2 and just get over the fact that that Capcom isn't making this series for DMC fans anymore."

I'm sorry, but I don't think I'm asking for the Moon to want there to be two actually good series in a genre I like. I understand that I can't force Capcom to make games for an audience that it seems to consider worth its time. But at the same time I don't have to be happy about it either.

JaxJag

Banned
DMC is a very good game. I've played all 4 DMC games, finished 3 of them. It's one of the better games in the series.

Gamers are just becoming too jaded, nothing is good enough at this point it seems.

Yuripaw

Banned
Just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of this game, and I feel like they were a lot more respectful of what this game is and what that means for the fanbase than any of the reviews of seen so far, including Brad's own review oddly. Basically they say that if you were expecting a game with ALL the technical depth of the previous games, this is not that game, but there's enough going on in the combat system to be enjoyable and deep without being impenetrable for newcomers.

This is why I think this game might be for me. I liked what I saw in the quick look, and what they said made sense...on some levels. I have no nostalgia, or attachment to the previous DMC games. I never was able to get into them from day 1. Didn't really like the first one much when it came out...never played 2, and I could barely beat the first boss in DMC3. Tried DMC4, and I found myself getting bored with it. It's just never hooked me at all. It's not like these kind of games are impenetrable to me either. I love Bayonetta for instance. So I picked this new DMC game up today, against my usual instincts because it sounds like something I might enjoy.

That being said, I still am not really a fan of how Capcom approached this at all. I understand, you want to get a bigger audience, and get that big bucks, so you reboot the franchise Star Trek style...but the entire time this game was in development, I felt like Capcom constantly said "Fuck you" to their fans. I don't care if I end up liking this game, the design for Dante still fucking sucks, and looks like something out of Twilight. You don't make your lead character look like something that will not appeal to ANY of your audience. I really just hate it, it's a horrible design, and I never liked seeing it even when I play PS All Stars Battle Royale.

Etnos

Banned
None of the negative reviews really touch on the serious problems with the combat :( It sucks that lovers of this genre are at such a minority they can't find representation in the gaming press. You wouldn't be too hard pressed to find a mainstream review that discusses the (over?)simplification of the just about any other genre. Even fighting games are generally more understood.

I just realised the BEST series analogy for this. Everyone keeps comparing it to things like Dragon Age 2 and other games that were objectively super broken, but I think it's most comparable to Civilization 5. Civ5 kept the essence of what made a civ game and introduced it to a huge new audience, but didn't have the extreme long-term appeal or depth of the previous entries; and this didn't matter to a huge swathe of players and journos. Civ5 had/has its share of vitriolic discussion to very similar ends.

I can see where you coming from, but part of it's just game design evolving, I'm not sure the parallelism with other genres you are drawing are quite accurate.

Note aside: As for the Giantbom hate on brad's DMC review, its pathetic and funny in an ironic way. I think some of the disagreement might have some reasoning and truth behind it, getting all upset and aggressive because of it.. well that's just..

Deitus

That being said, I still am not really a fan of how Capcom approached this at all. I understand, you want to get a bigger audience, and get that big bucks, so you reboot the franchise Star Trek style...but the entire time this game was in development, I felt like Capcom constantly said "Fuck you" to their fans. I don't care if I end up liking this game, the design for Dante still fucking sucks, and looks like something out of Twilight. You don't make your lead character look like something that will not appeal to ANY of your audience. I really just hate it, it's a horrible design, and I never liked seeing it even when I play PS All Stars Battle Royale.

Exactly this. Its been apparent known for months that this was probably going to be a pretty good game, if not necessarily a great DMC game. But the whole history of this game from reveal to release has been a series of "Fuck you"s from Capcom and Ninja theory (not to mention "Fuck you" has been the most used line of in-game dialogue/text in all of the promotional material). I'm not exactly lining up to give either of them my business after all of that. I'll probably pick this game up during a Steam sale sometime down the road, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it well enough for what it is.

I just hope that if and when they choose to continue this version of the franchise, they learn some lessons from this game and make some much needed improvements in the sequel. There are a few things that need to be fixed with the combat aside from obviously needing a solid 60 fps next time
(no more color coded enemies, and bring back the goddamn lock-on)
, but also they need to seriously improve Dante's character design, and make him come off as a whole lot less of a shithead. Then maybe I'll be
begrudgingly
on board with this new direction for the franchise.

Akainu

Exactly this. Its been apparent known for months that this was probably going to be a pretty good game, if not necessarily a great DMC game. But the whole history of this game from reveal to release has been a series of "Fuck you"s from Capcom and Ninja theory (not to mention "Fuck you" has been the most used line of in-game dialogue/text in all of the promotional material). I'm not exactly lining up to give either of them my business after all of that. I'll probably pick this game up during a Steam sale sometime down the road, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it well enough for what it is.
If I was hit with nothing but hate from the get go I'd be telling people to go fuck themselves too.

I can't comprehend how this is an issue in a game that depends 100% on its combat, if the other elements somehow impeded the combat it would be an issue but they don't. It's akin to claiming Geometary Wars should lose points for having lack-lustre level design and no story.

DMC4's level design absolutely hampers its excellent gameplay. The combat is fantastic but the level design is not only uninspired, but repeated twice (not to mention the boss fights). The levels, enemies, and bosses become a chore to fight for people like me who are interested in the combo system but aren't hype enough to, y'know, just dedicate ourselves to that.

If Gran Turismo or Forza had fantastic driving but only three go-kart tracks or something it'd be equally disappointing.

waypoetic

Banned
Lol at Brad Shoemaker saying "the soundtrack is done by Combichrist". The official soundtrack is done by Noisia. Noisia and Combichrist are far from the same.

DMC4's level design absolutely hampers its excellent gameplay. The combat is fantastic but the level design is not only uninspired, but repeated twice (not to mention the boss fights). The levels, enemies, and bosses become a chore to fight for people like me who are interested in the combo system but aren't hype enough to, y'know, just dedicate ourselves to that.

If Gran Turismo or Forza had fantastic driving but only three go-kart tracks or something it'd be equally disappointing.

Yeah. DMC games shouldn't have puzzles in them. Unless you're Production Studio 4. Which no longer exists.

I can appreciate that, even if I'm not a fan of the series moving in that direction. Certainly I appreciate Brad not trying to pretend that the combat in this game is either exactly the same or a massive improvement over previous entries, as so many other reviewers have attempted to do ("See look, you can combo in the air and switch weapons on the fly while building your combo meter, so clearly the combat system is every bit as good as DMC3"). And I especially appreciate that they didn't try to pretend that fans of the DMC series had no reason to dislike this game outside of hair color.

However, one thing they said that really bugged me was when they basically said "If you want an old DMC style game, play Bayonetta 2 and just get over the fact that that Capcom isn't making this series for DMC fans anymore."

I'm sorry, but I don't think I'm asking for the Moon to want there to be two actually good series in a genre I like. I understand that I can't force Capcom to make games for an audience that it seems to consider worth its time. But at the same time I don't have to be happy about it either.

I agree with all of this. I noticed Jeff was trying his best to stay neutral, for the most part, and Patrick was trying to offset it...luckily it didn't work.

Yuterald

Haven't been in this thread in awhile. Just breezed through a few pages. Saw someone saying DmC was better than DMC4. No hope for humanity. Are people serious about the platforming/environment/stage design in DmC being so astronomically better than DMC4? Really? That shitty, 2000-era platforming really makes the difference for some people, eh? I can't deal.

RangerBAD

I want people to read this. It's not a review, but I feel it's still relevant.

That's only just a small portion, but it's the part that should kick in the balls of most people still throwing a hussy fit.

Link.

Disclosure: I worked with Brenna for 18 months at VG247 before I left it and she is sickeningly one of the best writers I've ever known in the games industry and I think this backs it up.

iHnhxP9jXKPDv.gif

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I want people to read this. It's not a review, but I feel it's still relevant.

Devil May Cry is a video game. You are throwing a hissy fit because a character in a spin-off video game has a different backstory and hair colour to the one you’re used to. I shudder to think what will happen if you are ever required to move house, break up a relationship, change jobs or shave off your neckbeard.

You’ve lost it, “gamers”. I’m ashamed to be sharing an arbitrary demographic grouping with such raving imbeciles. Go outside. Get some fresh air. Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Grow the fuck up. And try DmC: Devil May Cry, because it’s a good video game. Remember how you used to like those?

That's only just a small portion, but it's the part that should kick in the balls of most people still throwing a hussy fit.

Link.

Disclosure: I worked with Brenna for 18 months at VG247 before I left it and she is sickeningly one of the best writers I've ever known in the games industry and I think this backs it up.
That is the most depressing post I've read on the gaming side in a long time.

Top Bottom