• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA News, Information, & Beta Thread

TGMIII

I've still heard nothing back from frogster about my invalid beta key. I guess now that they have my money they don't give a fuck.

OTIX

Managed to snag a code from Twitter, thanks for the tip. TweetDeck was the key, I entered the code long before the tweet showed up in the normal browser.

Izayoi

Banned
All of there horror stories about Frogster.

The game does have pretty good netcode, you could just play on the US servers...

Randy

Is it even legal taking final payment on a product you haven't receivedd? If you paid with your credit card I would just call for a charge back and let them know you haven't received a product and they refuse to give a refund.

Would I make a chance if I open up a case at PayPal? I'm really not sure if I have a leg to stand on tbh, though I certainly don't approve the fact you're charged the whole 59,95 euros immediately even though the game doesn't come out for months.

Izayoi

Banned
Would I make a chance if I open up a case at PayPal? I'm really not sure if I have a leg to stand on tbh, though I certainly don't approve the fact you're charged the whole 59,95 euros immediately even though the game doesn't come out for months.
Paypal is usually pretty good about that stuff. You'll get your money back.

Type2

Ill likely roll one toon on both pvp and pve. Me and my roommate are gonna go on a bender sat am/sunday. This has been such an awesome week for me in the real world cant wait to top it off with none other than video games.

aett

I'm going to be on a PvE server. Not sure if anyone is gonna be rolling that way, but there it is.

I'll be playing PVE. I never play on PVP servers.

If this weekend is anything like the last beta weekend, I'll spend most of my limited playtime making alts. :p

For the purposes of the beta, it doesn't matter much if we are split between the PvE and PvP servers. I'll probably be on both.

Come open beta time, we'll hopefully have a better idea of what the PvP will be shaping up like and we can decide on a home for the GAF guild then. I'm not fussed about it now, I just want to play with you guys!

Sheap

This patcher is absolutely horrid. Small 1mb update - applies it, then restarts. Is this supposed to be happening?!

I'll most likely be on a PvP server. I'm rolling either as a Human or Popori Beserker

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Which is great if you're a bad enough dude to do it.

BadDudesvsDragonNinja.gif

CAW

Probably going to roll on the PvE server to learn about the game and get familiar with it.

Is the PvP rule set the same as most MMO games? Contested FFA areas, etc?

Rinoa

I'm going on Arachnea first and once I'm filled up on characters there, Serpentis Isle.

I found Serpentis to be hard to login to last time.

With CBT2 coming up tomorrow and the high resolution texture pack implemented, I think now is good time to post a configuration guide.

WARNING!!
Technically, it is against the game's TOS to edit or modify any game files. In addition, some of the following settings below may cause instability in some hardware configurations, though it is pretty unlikely. Always make a backup of any file you modify and be extra careful when making any changes.

AMD CCC/VECC 11.12
The instructions in this section are for enabling AA in the AMD/ATI Catalyst driver software suite. Enabling AA through your graphics driver can have a huge impact on your performance. If you want to get the best performance or have trouble running the game smoothly, try using lower settings or do not enable this at all.

Navigate to Gaming - 3D Application Settings and make the following changes:

Anti-Aliasing
Under Anti-Aliasing, if enabled, uncheck Use application settings and Morphological filtering. Set the slider anywhere from 2X-8X depending on your machine's capabilities.

Filter
Filter can be set to Box for the best performance or Edge Detect for enhanced image quality.

Anisotropic Filtering
Under Anisotropic Filtering, uncheck Use application settings and move the slider all the way up to 16X.

Anti-Aliasing Mode
Under Anti-Aliasing Mode, use Multi-sample AA for the best performance. Adaptive Multi-sample AA will improve image quality at the cost of some additional performance, while Super-sample AA will greatly improve the image quality while also greatly impacting your performance.

For the best balance, I recommend 4X/8X AA with either a Box or Edge-Detect filter and Multi-sample AA mode.

Examples
High Performance, Good Quality:
2XAA, Box, Multi-Sample AA
4XAA, Box, Multi-sample AA
4XAA, Edge-Detect, Multi-sample AA

Medium Performance, Better Quality:
4XAA, Edge-Detect, Adaptive Multi-sample AA
8XAA, Box, Multi-sample AA
8XAA, Edge-Detect, Multi-sample AA
8XAA, Box, Adaptive Multi-sample AA

Low Performance, High Quality:
4XAA, Box, Super-sample AA
4XAA, Edge-Detect, Super-sample AA
8XAA, Edge-Detect, Adaptive multi-sample AA
8XAA, Box, Super-sample AA
8XAA, Edge-Detect, Super-sample AA

When you are finished, click on Apply and close the control panel. In order to undo the changes later, if you do not typically modify these settings, re-checking and enabling "Use application settings" on the options above will revert these changes. Otherwise, make a note of your current settings so you can revert them if you run into any problems.

GAME SETTINGS
According to patch notes, in order to enable the high resolution texture pack, you must set your graphics option preset to Maximum. Now, with everything maxed out, we can make a few more tweaks to improve performance.

Setting the following will improve performance without reducing image quality by lowering game engine rendering distances:

PC View Distance - 4
Distant Environment Detail - 4*
Landscape - 3
Efect Distance - 3
Background Distance - 3

Note: There is a known bug with the Circle the Wagons cinematic if you use any Distant Environment Detail setting other than the maximum of 6. Environment detail will not be rendered during the cinematic.

The game has built in 2XAA which is enabled by setting Lighting Enrichment to "2". This will blur the image quality if you already have anti-aliasing enabled outside of the client. Make sure to disable this option by setting Lighting Enrichment to "1", for optimal image quality and the greatest amount of clarity.

Lighting Enrichment - 1

UE3 TWEAKS
Next, we are going to make some changes to improve graphical fidelity and further enhance system performance. Many of these modifications are common to most games that run on UE3. Locate the following file and make sure to create a backup before making any changes:

TERA\Client\S1Game\Config\S1Engine.ini

Let's make the following adjustments to the S1Engine.ini file:

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=True
MinSmoothedFrameRate=30
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

[SystemSettings]
UseVsync=True
Trilinear=True
SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
ParticleLODBias=0
DetailMode=2
ShadowFilterQualityBias=1
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultisamples=4
MotionBlur=False
DepthOfField=False
Bloom=False
UseHighQualityBloom=False[/QUOTE]

Note: Increasing MaxAnisotropy, MaxMultisamples, ShadowFilterQualityBias, and DetailMode can have negative impacts on performance if your machine is not up to the task. This only recommended for PCs with high end GPUs and CPUs. There also seems to be a bug caused by disabling either MotionBlur, DepthOfField, Bloom, or UseHighQualityBloom that causes the loading screen splash images to not display. I haven't tested to find out which one it is yet.

Once you are done making the above changes, right click on the file and go to Properties. From there, change the file attributes to Read-only. This will prevent the patcher and game client from overwriting the file and any changes that we have made. There have been reports of the S1Engine.ini getting overwritten, so you might want to make these same changes to the DefaultEngine.ini.

TERA\Client\S1Game\Config\S1Input.ini

bEnableMouseSmoothing=FALSE
Bindings=(Name="x",Command="fov 85")

Note: Make sure to leave out the ";" at the beginning of the line so it is not commented out. While in-game, simply press "x" to switch to your preferred FOV. Note that there is currently a bug that causes the server list screen to appear as a windowed "box" and the portal screens during Pegasus rides to display empty backgrounds when you set the FOV in-game. It looks weird but doesn't really hurt anything.

Once you are done making the above changes, right click on the file and go to Properties. From there, change the file attributes to Read-only. This will prevent the patcher and game client from overwriting the file and any changes that we have made. There have been reports of the S1Engine.ini getting overwritten, so you might want to make these same changes to the DefaultEngine.ini.

CAW

Is this high resolution pack already on the Korean version, or is it a new feature for both? Just curious as to feedback from Korean players on some of the settings. Ex: I'm running an i5-2500 3.3 Ghz with a single 6950 2GB GPU and 8GB of RAM. Just wondering how this game will run (with the high res pack), but I guess I'll find out tomorrow regarless.

So who will be playing on the PvP server this beta weekend? I'm pretty pumped for it.

I'm rolling a character on the PVP server but should be playing on both PVE and PVP. If anyone is on Serpentis Isle and needs a GAF guild invite, PM me here and I'll log in and send the invite since I'll mostly be on the PVP server at the start of CBT2.

Probably going to roll on the PvE server to learn about the game and get familiar with it.

Is the PvP rule set the same as most MMO games? Contested FFA areas, etc?

I would definitely recommend PVE if you are acclimating yourself to the game for the first time. The current rule set is pretty much FFA OWPVP. You can PVP anyone, just about anywhere, as long as they level 11 or higher. The only safe zones are camp sites, cities, and most dungeons. This is likely to change after CBT2, but they are currently testing a more open rule set.

I'll be there.

Also thanks for the guide above :), why no built in AA options yet?

There is a built in 2XAA option but it's kind of hidden and doesn't do a very good job. The complete launch client is supposed to include full AA options, but we'll see. Forcing it from your drivers works perfectly though.

Is this high resolution pack already on the Korean version, or is it a new feature for both? Just curious as to feedback from Korean players on some of the settings. Ex: I'm running an i5-2500 3.3 Ghz with a single 6950 2GB GPU and 8GB of RAM. Just wondering how this game will run (with the high res pack), but I guess I'll find out tomorrow regarless.

High resolution textures are already on the Korean and EU client. The NA client was testing a lower resolution texture set during CBT1, but high resolution textures are available now for the NA client for CBT2.

JudgeN

So Ive downloaded a complete client last night and I good to go for CBT2 tomorrow? There isn't going to be another 7gb patch right?

Can't wait to give the game a shot.

Also has anyone been able to order the retail collectors edition? Amazon doesn't seem to know about it and they normally know about everything.

CAW

I keep firing up the launcher now and then to check for updates. Last night there was a 1-2MB update but that's about it. So far so good. Pumped to get into this!

So Ive downloaded a complete client last night and I good to go for CBT2 tomorrow? There isn't going to be another 7gb patch right?

Can't wait to give the game a shot.

Also has anyone been able to order the retail collectors edition? Amazon doesn't seem to know about it and they normally know about everything.

Atari is doing a terrible job with their distribution at the moment. I think Gamestop's database should have the CE listed for pre-order now and as an alternative, you can also get the physical collector's edition box directly from the En Masse store.

When you order the retail box from EME, they flag your account as a "Trial Account" for full beta access and when you get the game you just enter your code to update from a "Trial Account" to a regular account. You will be able to update the digital client to retail and continue to use that as your game client during the open beta and head start, so you shouldn't miss anything.

I keep firing up the launcher now and then to check for updates. Last night there was a 1-2MB update but that's about it. So far so good. Pumped to get into this!

Yeah, I think they have been pushing out some patcher and client updates to resolve some issues that people were having with updating their game client.

esserius

Banned
I personally hope they pump out some stability updates for the netcode... that was my biggest problem with CBT1. Apparently a lot of people had such problems, mostly with random crashes and a "General Network Failure" error. Was a problem for people who were streaming it too. Still, the game's super fun and it didn't stop me (or most others) from playing it quite a lot.

Definitely looking forward to this. Ah.. my weekend. My poor, poor weekend.

I personally hope they pump out some stability updates for the netcode... that was my biggest problem with CBT1. Apparently a lot of people had such problems, mostly with random crashes and a "General Network Failure" error. Was a problem for people who were streaming it too. Still, the game's super fun and it didn't stop me (or most others) from playing it quite a lot.

Definitely looking forward to this. Ah.. my weekend. My poor, poor weekend.

That's a hard one to pin down though considering most people don't actually know how much bandwidth streaming takes. A lot of people new to streaming think 720p takes nothing to stream.

EME comments on the implementation of "rifts" (20 player PVE content similar to the concept found in the game Rift) in the Argon Queen update:

Knoxxer said:
I generally don't like to comment on stuff across the pacific but the western name is Nexus and it is considered a piece of our end game content. You will see more En Masse info on it eventually.

esserius

Banned
Probably didn't want to call them rifts because of the popularity of another certain MMO... heh.

That's a hard one to pin down though considering most people don't actually know how much bandwidth streaming takes. A lot of people new to streaming think 720p takes nothing to stream.
Yeah, I'm aware of how much it takes to stream that kinda stuff, but it was a general issue for people. There's a lot of info on the official forums about it, but there still hasn't really been anything conclusive on fixing it. It could be any number of things since it's a generalized error, but I'm sure those error reports are probably sent in more detail to En Masse anyway, so hopefully they'll clean up the code and it won't be an issue (or as much of an issue) as the CBT goes on. At least in theory, that's what beta tests are all about (I'm unsure about this, since I often feel that they're more about promotion, but it's hard to say who benefits more).

01DragonFly

If anyone needs a code AMDGaming(on tweeter) is giving them away. you need to follow them and reply at one of their messages describing that you need one , just got mine a few minutes ago

Dowloading the game right now 2 hours to go

Some various comments from EME:

Difficulty Curve and Nerfed Content:

Our goal for TERA is to be challenging without being frustrating. We think we have a good starting base and we will tweak from here. Don't believe the rumors and try and look at our game as a fresh start to build on. You will drive yourself crazy constantly worrying or comparing every market's TERA to each other.

HP has not been adjusted. 1-20 is a ramp up to get used to the combat and ease players in. 20+ things start to get harder. Think of 1-20 as a ramp up to get used to the combat and get introduced to TERA. This is another reason why we are not wiping after the open beta - doing it a third time within a few weeks wouldn't be fun. Keeping your character and advancing to more challenging content is the fun stuff.

We have no plans to dumb TERA down. We have a unique combat system so the initial newbie experience is a bit longer than most - but the hardcore will breeze through this in a day. There is a huge difference between making things easier, and making things less frustrating and more accessible. And yes some of our instances do have 'hard modes'.

Channels in PVP:

Channels will be dynamic but I know that they aren't ideal for PvP but they will be a necessary evil for beta and launch. That said, we are still thinking what improvements we need to make. As stated previously, we are going pretty vanilla on the PvP servers and want to see what you guys think so we can make adjustments. One idea we are kicking about is is adding a cast time to switch channels. Right now its too easy to see for enemy and bail to another channel.

Quest Additions, Meeting Western Needs, and Developing and Localizing Content:

Our team here at En Masse has actually created a good amount of quests that are being added to the game. Should be in for launch.

We have dedicated developers and our own branch of the game, so you will see reactions to our needs as fast as we can adjust. The big updates will be as far behind as it takes us to localize - but even then, some content you will see here first.

We have actively gathered and delivered our feedback from the first closed beta test to the developers. And we are actually gathering feedback in multiple ways including all of the different sections on forums and through our CS team.

Meaning of Stats:

Strength: attack power for melee/ranged/magic
Endurance: defense stat
Damage: chance for knockdown or stun
Balance: resistance to knockdown or stun
Attack Speed: attack speed
Movement: movement speed in and out of combat (The characters run faster out of combat due to their passive skill)

Leaked Server List:

We have not made a decision on RP servers yet. And that list is subject to change both the names and server type so try not to get too attached.

Nopren

If anyone needs a code AMDGaming(on tweeter) is giving them away. you need to follow them and reply at one of their messages describing that you need one , just got mine a few minutes ago

Dowloading the game right now 2 hours to go

I did this, and from tweet to getting the code took about 2 minutes. Now lets see how this runs on the american side of things.

Mupod

We have dedicated developers and our own branch of the game, so you will see reactions to our needs as fast as we can adjust. The big updates will be as far behind as it takes us to localize - but even then, some content you will see here first.

Now that's not something I was expecting. Very cool.

I'm not a big fan of channels outside of crowded betas and launch days, so I hope they eliminate it entirely except in areas that absolutely need it. People channel jumping to avoid PVP deaths doesn't bother me much since I rarely saw it, and to me running away via an exploit-like mechanic is more humiliating than dying to another player.

Immediately after the first closed beta test, we sat down with the dedicated western design team and went through our critical and major issues. We were able to identify, schedule, fix, QA, and deploy a new patch within two weeks to address this market’s specific feedback. How sweet is that? I’ve been working on titles from east to west for a long time and have never seen dedication and turnaround time like this for an east–to-west product.

The closed beta tests are the perfect opportunity for En Masse and Bluehole to get this community feedback-to-patch cycle down to an exact science. So, please keep up your feedback and we’ll keep up the patches.

Patch 16.03.05, February 23, 2012

COOL NEW STUFF
  • PvP is now available on two servers. Mayhem starts at level 11, so be prepared!
  • Valley of the Titans
  • Jagged Coast
  • PVE is still available on Arachnaea and Serpentis Isle

• Guild vs Guild battles are now on. We have substantially reduced the costs for guild battles to make it easy to challenge other guilds during the Closed Beta Test period.
  • 30,000 gold to wage war
  • 3,000 gold to forfeit or punk out
  • Added “/bug” command for you to report game problems you encounter during beta. Note: you don’t have to report insects you encounter while playing.
  • Removed two chat channels (Trade, LFG) from server-wide chat to help reduce unnecessary clutter for newly created characters. You’re not in Barrens chat anymore!
  • Increased default UI scale to 90 (from 80) to ease readability; you can change UI scale in the control panel any time you’d like.

BUG SQUASHES…you spoke up and we listened!
  • Vekas the Wicked Tree on the Island of Dawn will now spawn three in the area to aid the completion of the quest. We’ve also shortened the respawn timers:
  • Vekas: 20 sec -> 10 sec
  • Acharak: 20 sec -> 10 sec
  • Kugai: 20 sec -> 10 sec
  • Level 11 mount quest no longer requires users to collect carrots. The new quest allows users to complete the quest within Velika. How ‘bout them apples?
  • Piglings no longer drop large sums of gold. Sadly, they don’t drop bacon either.
  • Crashes when switching between game servers or exiting a server queue have been corrected. Similarly, players will not get stuck in the waiting queue when a server is restarted.
  • Servers will always be displayed in the “Select Server” screen. Previously, some players experienced blank lists.
  • Players will not stay in the queue when a server crashes or is restarted. The queue will be restarted as well.

What happened? – Some things to look out for:
  • Keeping the Quota – Quest item is scarce, and harder to find when user base is high. For a place called Lumbertown, you’d think there’d be more wood lying around.
  • Circle the Wagons – Cinematic will not render environmental detail if player has Distant Environmental detail below the max setting of six.
  • Guild slash commands (/gkick, /guildkick, /gmaster, /guildmaster) are case sensitive to the player’s name. Your guild leader remains as insensitive to your needs as ever.
  • If a server crashes while player is in queue, player will enter Character Select.
  • Cancelling a teleport still consumes the scroll. Magic is complicated business.
  • Group members do not stay in same channel when zoning.
  • Mystic thrall re-engages monster after player dies. We hope to tone down this undying loyalty.
  • Using a controller changes the default skill direction to character direction.
  • Players need a “back button” to toggle the game controller's on-screen display UI off.
  • Players may experience a black screen when going from game to server select; a client restart will fix this.
  • Dynamic Veridian – This mount quest will appear twice now if you are level 11 and log into 16.03.05. You still can’t ride two horses at once unless you’re a circus performer.
  • Queues are displaying ordinals incorrectly. (“You are 1th} in line.”) We apologize for the 2thache.

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/cbt2-changes-we-heard-your-feedback

Effect

Going to be going PvE first until some reports on how PvP is going comes in. I really hope this game clicks with me in the end.

Top Bottom