• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalpers, what can be done about them?

Kimawolf

So every hardware launch, scalpers get wild and basically "buy" 10s, and sometimes dozens of systems to scalp. What can actually be done about them? We talk about them in every launch, and yet nothing is done.

So how can we combat it?

I think the easiest thing to do perhaps is to simply not allow you to return the hardware. Or charge a small fee for returned hardware. So although a person with one or two Switches, or PS5s or whatever, may only have to pay a small fee of say 10 dollars or 20, someone who bought 20 with the intent to scalp them, would have to pay far more.

Or does the solution lie with sites like Ebay enforcing some kind of rule?

Whats your suggestion Gaf? Or should we just not worry about it at all and simply accept it?

eXMomoj

Welcome to capitalism.

There is nothing you can do about it. The best thing that can be done is what some stores are currently doing; limiting the number they can buy at a given location.

If they were to do anything they would just limit it to a console per person. But most places don't even do that anymore.

jph139

I mean, retailers can put a cap on number of purchases - one or two or three per person - but it's not exactly bulletproof.

It's really just a consequence of a market-based system. No way to eliminate it without also eliminating tons of consumer rights, and that's not really something I'm interested in doing...

One-per-customer is probably the most realistic counter-measure. Retailers, either online or brick-and-mortar should not be allowing a single customer to be making off with several consoles during a launch to begin with.

That's a terrible "solution".

This.

Also, it's one of those things you'll never be able to change. I don't think we'll ever have a solution for scalpers, we're just gonna have to accept that fact and move on. There's always gonna be some small way of trying to prevent that such as Amazon UK doing shipping 1per address and Amazon US doing 1 per account for the Switch. But even then, that probably won't stop Scalpers who can just have things shipped to their friends house as a favor etc.

Nothing. It would take restraint from buyers to refuse paying scalper prices, but expecting that level of restraint is foolish.

Vamphuntr

The solution is to not buy from scalpers and not penalize people that need to return hardware.

As long as people continue to pay hugely inflated prices from scalpers, they will keep doing it.

ReaperXL7

Without Dictating what can or cannot be purchased (which is fucking weird for things that are not vital to people's lives) there is nothing you can do. The people looking to make a profit will always find an avenue to do so, and the only people burdened by these restrictions end up being the normal customer.

Hydrus

Having a lot more hardware available at launch instead of a limited supply would be the only thing I can think of that can help. *Cough* "Nintendo classic"...

Nothing other than not giving into them, pressuring manufacturers/publishers into releasing a larger stock, or not buying into pre-order/day 1.

Personally I respect the hustle. If someone is desperate enough to blow extra money on something as ultimately unimportant as a game then bravo to those who exploit it for a quick buck. I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Simo

OP I have an extra Zelda Master Edition, $400 or OBO. PM for details.

I'm kidding I just have one copy. So make it $500.

Yeah, not much to do about that. They are welcome to sell at whatever price they'd like and let the market determine if the price is reasonable. If it's not, people won't pay them and the scalper is left with nothing. It's not up to eBay or Amazon to enforce some sort of limit on cost, no one is forcing anyone to pay $700 for a Switch.

danm999

Strikes me as most of the solutions (like penalising returns) would end up worse than the problem.

Just live with it.

GulAtiCa

Just limit the amount you can buy to like 2.

Why would anyone need more?

yes, I know. Some buy for friends and family. But past 3 you become vast minority of being legit.

That's a terribly anti-consumer idea.

The best thing you could probably do is limit units per customer. Otherwise the next best option is to just produce enough units so they can't be reasonable scalped.

Um just accept it. If you really want something make sure you buy it when its available. Scalpers are everywhere where there is demand nothing you can do to make them stop.

They could just limit the number of purchases per person for high demand products, especially when they're being preordered. After the products are out and in decent stock just lift the limit

Much better than a return penalty

Maybe actually have enough stock? hard to scalp something that is readily available.
Ah who am I kidding? This is Nintendo they will supply like 10 consoles

tronic307

I like when I'm next in line at Toys R Us until someone walks out with like the last 6 NES Classic Minis, maybe we could stop that. One per customer is more work for the cashier and takes much longer, so good luck with that. Maybe if there were a way to implement a universal one per credit card policy across all retailers, but that's a bit scorched earth and doesn't stop people from using cash. All we can do is preorder, preorder, preorder and get on the line no later than 2 AM.

Black_Red

Companies should be able to meet demand, and if they cant you should just wait a couple of weeks.
If people just waited scalpers would quickly dissapear.

duckroll

There's nothing to be done about it. It's called commerce. Buy low, sell high. Exploit demand, profit from shortages.

Your grief is misguided and should be redirected toward Nintendo (for limiting supply) and it's partnered retailers (for making said supply available for pre-order at 3 in the morning).

Top Bottom