• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: If you change the Switch settings to Japanese you can play with JP text+voice!

Bookman

Hi guys

So IGN Portugal seems to have a interview with

Eiji Aonuma where he says:

“In the case of the Nintendo Switch, if you change the language of the system, you can change the game to Japanese, but this is going to change everything to Japanese. Unfortunately, it is not possible to play with English text, for example, and Japanese voices"

http://pt.ign.com/m/the-legend-of-z...-nao-vamos-poder-jogar-com-as-vozes-originais

This is really, really f upp. At least in my point of view (living In sweden)

First thread, be nice (couldn't find a thread about it)

Edit: perhaps this is a more important issue to us living in European countries? Im actually really upset about this monstrosity display of ignorance from Nintendo. I must be really, really easy to include language options? It's already there! They just don't give us access to it.

What do you think about this and is there a chance that Nintendo will patch this?

Edit 2 : will probably never make a thread again :/ seriously, I just its sad that I can't choose when there's no technical or other reason not to do so. Some people seem to think otherwise but I dont think I'm a minority and even if so, the effort to include that option would be minimal.

BadAss2961

Sounds like something a simple patch could solve.

But this is Nintendo, so it'll probably just stay like that. lol

Risette

A Good Citizen
Really disappointing. If they already have the voices on cart it's just weird to not let you pick audio language.

Guess I'll skip all cutscenes

Of course it is possible, they just aren't doing it for Zelda lol

Last Nintendo game with dual audio was Fire Emblem Awakening, I wonder why they're skipping on this nowadays, even weirder that it's avaible by changing language settings

psyfi

Banned
Duuuude that's good enough for me. I know basic Japanese and would love to give the game a go in it's original language. I prefer to watching Japanese movies and anime in Japanese, so why not games? I'll definitely wait till my second play through, though.

Madao

they go all the way to have all the languages on the same cart and yet you can't mix and match them?

well, the last hope is if the Wii U version also comes with all languages. with some homebrew tool to view the game's files you could rename the files so that the game loads jp voices when it wants to load whatever language you picked.

random25

So the Switch has system language options available? Or is this Zelda-specific language options?

Edit: I missed that detail in the OP for some reason lol. It's a system language option.

I feel bad for the European countries who are forced to deal with a language that they might not want to deal with. Also I wanted Japanese audio with English subs..

duckroll

Maybe if enough fanboys protest, Nintendo will have a solution for this by adding a new System Language called "Weeb". Get all your UI text in English, and have a cute female announcer in Japanese for voice cues! And all games which support it will force English text and Japanese voice! For that authentic fansub experience! Uguu~

Better get started on those online petitions and Twiitter hashtags!

Maybe if enough fanboys protest, Nintendo will have a solution for this by adding a new System Language called "Weeb". Get all your UI text in English, and have a cute female announcer in Japanese for voice cues! And all games which support it will force English text and Japanese voice! For that authentic fansub experience! Uguu~

SUGOIII

Risette

A Good Citizen

i would buy a second switch for this

jdstorm

Banned
This is going to be a pain. Really wanted either the Latin Spanish dub or German dub with English Text. Come on Nintendo just let us "Switch" Languages

Gaspard

My change.org page is almost done

So the Switch has system language options available? Or is this Zelda-specific language options?

Edit: I missed that detail in the OP for some reason lol. It's a system language option.

I suspect all Switch units worldwide will be practically identical/interchangeable. So truly region free in every way, which is music to my ears (if true).

The weeb option also offers instant side by side replay to the English version, so you can roll your eyes over the ignorant masses who can't enjoy it how you're supposed to

I'm all in for a specific kawaii dub.
The weeb option also offers instant side by side replay to the English version, so you can roll your eyes over the ignorant masses who can't enjoy it how you're supposed to
Even better.

LewieP

This also presumably means that people who buy digitally and only want Engish or only want Japanese audio will have those redundant audio files wasting precious space on their 32gb system storage or on their MicroSD card.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

actually, I can play in japanese only if I wanted too. But it's more about the russian VO for me. I thought it sounded absolutely awesome, even if I did not understand anything.
So I had hoped to play with german/japanese subtitles and russian VO >>

but it's always nice seeing you taking other people serious.

Crayolan

Switch heading down the road to Vita 2.0 faster than expected.

This also presumably means that people who buy digitally and only want Engish or only want Japanese audio will have those redundant audio files wasting precious space on their 32gb system storage or on their MicroSD card.
I presume it'll be well compressed but it does seem odd that it doesn't just have a single language on the card and allow for language download packs for those who want to waste the space on it.

Madao

what if i want german voices with spanish subs?

watershed

Banned
Too bad. I wish we could mix and match. I'd do my 2nd playthrough in Japanese with English text if it was possible. Nintendo should embrace options.

random25

I suspect all Switch units worldwide will be practically identical/interchangeable. So truly region free in every way, which is music to my ears (if true).

I hesitated pre-ordering in Japan because there's no verification of this. But now that it is confirmed by Aonuma, might as well pursue my Japanese import, if still available.

NimbusD

What? You mean Nintendo doesn't anticipate and understand a core group of their fanbase? Say it ain't so!

I'd have loved to play w Japanese voice. Oh well. Maybe it'll be a patch later.

In serious reply to Duckroll's shitposting though, I really do wish there were easy language toggles. It may seem like a minor thing, but I find that having those options adds some novelty to replays. Obviously some people have bigger gripes perhaps in Euro areas, but I just want to be able to swap around the options as I please for fun. Replaying The Witcher 3 in Polish is a nice example of a game that benefited me by having those options.

Now I'm curious if westaboos in Japan play western titles in English with Japanese subs

"no Sasuke, for the authentic experience you have to play Gears of War in glorious English."

Madao

Now I'm curious if westaboos in Japan play western titles in English with Japanese subs

"no Sasuke, for the authentic experience you have to play Gears of War in glorious English."

considering how many games are littered with english in japan, i don't think it's seen as bad as how english speakers see people who want jp voices in the west.

Top Bottom