• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

sphinx

the piano man
xaosslug said:
so, like, now that Japan's got a second seemingly viable handheld option... what are developers gonna do?! Dual releases, port like crazy? OMG!

I am not sure.

admitedly, The PSP has never been a failure as a business. It will end up behind the DS but when everything is said and done, people will put the PSP on the side of the " winning consoles ", sort of like the Genesis. It was a success but it wasn't number one.

that being said, I suspect the PSP will be the worst software seller in the history of " winning consoles ".

is it a viable handheld for people and gamers? Absolutely, there is much that can be done with it?

is it a good option for 3rd parties? Hell no, it is a disaster.

spwolf

Stumpokapow said:
PS2 sales for the calendar month FF XII released; ~20k, ~55k, ~45k, ~35k, ~35k
PS2 sales for the calendar month FF X released; ~80k, ~90k, ~155k, ~105k, ~75k
PS1 sales for the calendar month FF IX released; ~15k, ~15k, ~17k, ~19k, ~19k
PS1 sales for the calendar month FF VIII released; ~85k, ~110k, ~50k, ~100k

I don't have data going back and I think that last set of numbers might be tainted because it comes from a backup of my spreadsheet before I color-coded my data sources. The first three are definitely from Josh's data.

Also;
PS2's five highest non-launch weeks ever; ~280k, ~200k, ~190k, ~175k, ~160k
Wii's three highest non-launch weeks ever; ~270k, ~240k, ~205k
PS3's three highest non-launch weeks ever; ~77k, ~69k, ~67k

So, your deduction is the following;
- The PS3 will sell almost double the PS2's highest week ever (as well as almost double the Wii's highest week ever and almost seven times as high as its highest week ever)
- FFXII will provide more than three times the bump that FFX, the highest hardware bumper FF ever, provided.
- FFXIII will provide a substantially bigger bump than FFVIII, a game that sold more in its first week than you predict FFXIII will lifetime.

he was just joking... Not bad news actually, Sony will redouble its efforts to lower the costs of PS3 once again so I can buy another one...

Innotech

Banned
KGKK said:
The way I see it, the PS3 will sell at least 500,000 consoles during the week that FFXIII releases. So it is destined to be a 2 million+ seller there.
glasses_3_4.jpg

Vinnk

kurosawa said:
hey Vinnk, can't find your report this week. is it online already?

Sorry I got swamped and didn't have time to do a full one. But here is the "lite version"

NOTE: this is all for February 7th (last week)

Totals:

Wii: 14
SSBB: 5
DMC4 (PS3): 47
DMC4 (360): 19 (+2 bundles)

Notes:

1. Will has the lowest stock I have seen in a long time. I guess Smash lowered stock but regardless it was only sold out at a few stores. Wii systems can still be found easily.

2. PS3 is the same as usual, but the units have all been moved to the front with the DMC4 displays, so it looks like there are more.

3. Tons of DS lite and PSP units. No chance either of these will be sold out anytime soon.

4. SSBB was only available at 2 stores. It was sold out at the others. Yamada Denki had a sign apologizing for it being sold out and one of the employees had drawn a picture of Kirby crying. It also says they expect more soon.

5. SSBB FINALLY has posters up and flyers you can take. Of course it's funny that they arrived now when no one can buy the game.

6. DMC4 kiosks are still up. It is probably the biggest in-store advertising push I have seen for a game this generation.

7. I was shocked to see a fairly sizable display set-up for WE2008 Wii. There were 3 posters and a chart explaining the game controls at Yamada Denki. There is also a kiosk being set up at Wanpaku. It's nothing compared to the advertising for DMC or the PS2/s60.PS3 version of WE (a few months ago), but it's much more than I expected.

8. The local Otaku are playing Smash and two of them picked up Oneechanbara. really the hardcore otaku is the only demographic that bought it. They are currently talking about the DS Sakura Taisen game. Several of them are getting it but all are worried about the changes made to the game system. Despited being an Otaku favorite, I expect STDS to not sell very well (but still profit since it's a DS title).

cvxfreak

Segata Sanshiro said:
The one in Ibaraki prefecture. I'm here on sort of a break from my career (stress was killing me). So for one year, I teach ze English.

Then, sigh, back to ze Psych.

Awesome. Maybe I'll meet THE Segata Sanshiro himself some day. :D

Vinnk said:
Sorry I got swamped and didn't have time to do a full one. But here is the "lite version"

NOTE: this is all for February 7th (last week)

Totals:

Wii: 14
SSBB: 5
DMC4 (PS3): 47
DMC4 (360): 19 (+2 bundles)

Notes:

1. Will has the lowest stock I have seen in a long time. I guess Smash lowered stock but regardless it was only sold out at a few stores. Wii systems can still be found easily.

2. PS3 is the same as usual, but the units have all been moved to the front with the DMC4 displays, so it looks like there are more.

3. Tons of DS lite and PSP units. No chance either of these will be sold out anytime soon.

4. SSBB was only available at 2 stores. It was sold out at the others. Yamada Denki had a sign apologizing for it being sold out and one of the employees had drawn a picture of Kirby crying. It also says they expect more soon.

5. SSBB FINALLY has posters up and flyers you can take. Of course it's funny that they arrived now when no one can buy the game.

6. DMC4 kiosks are still up. It is probably the biggest in-store advertising push I have seen for a game this generation.

7. I was shocked to see a fairly sizable display set-up for WE2008 Wii. There were 3 posters and a chart explaining the game controls at Yamada Denki. There is also a kiosk being set up at Wanpaku. It's nothing compared to the advertising for DMC or the PS2/s60.PS3 version of WE (a few months ago), but it's much more than I expected.

8. The local Otaku are playing Smash and two of them picked up Oneechanbara. really the hardcore otaku is the only demographic that bought it. They are currently talking about the DS Sakura Taisen game. Several of them are getting it but all are worried about the changes made to the game system. Despited being an Otaku favorite, I expect STDS to not sell very well (but still profit since it's a DS title).

I don't know if anyone responded to my question earlier, but how do bundles w/games get recorded under famitsu/media create charts? Does the sale listing get added to the PS3 console sale, or the specific game sale?

justchris

C- Warrior said:
I don't know if anyone responded to my question earlier, but how do bundles w/games get recorded under famitsu/media create charts? Does the sale listing get added to the PS3 console sale, or the specific game sale?

I know for MC it counts for both (a game sale & a hardware sale). I'm unsure if Famistu is the same.

Lightning said:
Stop posting!

The PS3 system is not in the PSone or PS2 situation therefore I am sure Sony will take the required steps and do it SOON.
If anything, history has shown us the reverse. NES/SNES/PS1/PS2 got redesigns, a hot system like DS got its redesign more quickly, and N64/GCN/Saturn/Xbox were less popular enough that they didn't even bother. I guess PSP is in a middling situation, but that still took nearly three years.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JoshuaJSlone said:
If anything, history has shown us the reverse. NES/SNES/PS1/PS2 got redesigns, a hot system like DS got its redesign more quickly, and N64/GCN/Saturn/Xbox were less popular enough that they didn't even bother. I guess PSP is in a middling situation, but that still took nearly three years.
Strictly speaking though - DS became hot AFTER the redesign, and at least in Japan, so did the PSP.

At any rate, redesigns I've seen tend to involve substantial manufacturing cost reductions (NDS, PSP, PS2, PS1 all did). XBox never had the option due to deals they made on hw, and GCN was already cost effective enough.
So If PS3 can be cost reduced through a slimdown, I doubt Sony would say no to it. :p

Vinnk

JoshuaJSlone said:

Saturn, N64, GCN and Xbox all got new colors in Japan, but yeah, the design never changed. SNES and NES both got their redesigns after their successor was released. PS2 and DS are kind of unique since they got their redesigns when they were still bestselling systems.

Minsc

Gold Member
Vinnk said:

Now that's an employee that likes his job.

cvxfreak

Fafalada said:
Strictly speaking though - DS became hot AFTER the redesign, and at least in Japan, so did the PSP.

The DS was hot in Japan before the redesign, actually. It's December 2005 performance clearly led to a quicker introduction of the Lite than Nintendo was really ready for. The thing was probably due to be rolled out sometime in between the Japanese (March) and American launches (June) rather than earlier in Japan, which brought about a delayed release in the west.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Ok sorry, disregard NDS part of my post, somehow I remembered DSLite coming out in 2005, my bad.

Anyway, that just reaffirms what I said about the main reason for redesigns being manufacturing costs.

Tenbatsu

Vinnk said:

Did you try it? Or its just a video demo kiosk?

Vinnk

Tenbatsu said:
Did you try it? Or its just a video demo kiosk?

It was still being set up when I went last thursday. But it will probably only be a video. I haven't seen a playable Wii kiosk anywhere near my city. (or at all in Japan yet, though I know they recently have them in the big cities)

Top Bottom