• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

It's not a good time to find out your wii u gamepad's touchscreen doesn't work...

Guess you'll have to buy a switch

8dfcynd.png

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Shields and weapons. Note the Hylian Shield, WW shield, upgraded rods, and Master Sword
vnjqeXf.png
What is the status of invincibility/unbreakability on these items? I believe Nintendo has said no invincible weapons in the game, but I would assume at least the Master Sword to be quite strong.

Coffinhal

Rösti;230949026 said:
What is the status of invincibility/unbreakability on these items? I believe Nintendo has said no invincible weapons in the game, but I would assume at least the Master Sword to be quite strong.

Crafting?

We've still no confirmation of equipment repairing. So as of right now I'm going in with the assumption these eventually break.
I believe there was a Weapon Workshop mentioned somewhere, so I wouldn't be surprised if unique weapons didn't break, but fell into disrepair and had to be fixed at a weapon workshop.

I saw a video yesterday about some story revelations on 4chan. Biggest revelation for me was: Zelda communicates from 100 years in the past, via the Master Sword which is in her possession, with Link in the present (game time). The voice in the trailer is Zelda from the past calling Link in the present. He needs to do stuff in the present to undo stuff in the past. Is this true? Any corroboration from other sources?

I'm 100% confident that the vast majority of the weapons in the game will break and will be a mechanic that you cannot ignore. Maybe the master sword is an exception but it's probably the sole exception. I know people don't like durability regardless of the potential it can add to planning and strategy, but removing it here would clearly break the game.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding item durability, I suppose it could work as in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker where you get certain benefits (such as being able to read Hylian) in Second Quest. Complete the game once and you can toggle item durability on and off.

LotusHD

Banned
That awkward moment where it may be like a month or so after the game releases before I can comfortably set foot in this thread.

E-phonk

Banned
If there's a town named after him, that should place it after ALTTP, and almost certainly not in between OoT & ALTTP like some suggested. Interesting. It should also confirm that it's on the timeline of the original NES games, possibly being connected to them.

I'm 100% confident that the vast majority of the weapons in the game will break and will be a mechanic that you cannot ignore. Maybe the master sword is an exception but it's probably the sole exception. I know people don't like durability regardless of the potential it can add to planning and strategy, but removing it here would clearly break the game.
The master sword and maybe some late game items.
In the original NES game, you didn't need the candle anymore once you had the fire rod, I think they might have some similar late game items. The trick might be that you need these items to comfortably fight/get to ganon (while you could fight him without, it would be frustrating)

ckaneo

I saw a video yesterday about some story revelations on 4chan. Biggest revelation for me was: Zelda communicates from 100 years in the past, via the Master Sword which is in her possession, with Link in the present (game time). The voice in the trailer is Zelda from the past calling Link in the present. He needs to do stuff in the present to undo stuff in the past. Is this true? Any corroboration from other sources?

Sounded fake. Hasnt been confirmed

Sounded fake. Hasnt been confirmed

Some things sounded a bit 'unique' for a Zelda game. The claim that the white gown Zelda from the trailer was Zelda in the past, and was pregnant. And that you'll be dealing with three generations of Zelda's - if I got that bit right. But the bit where Zelda's voice in the trailer is actually a mechanic in the game, where Zelda from the past gives Link his mission in the present, to me sounds like it could be true. But them I'm sucker for everything time travel.

PrimeBeef

It's not a good time to find out your wii u gamepad's touchscreen doesn't work...
Why? They removed the gamepad functionality to keep ot on parity with the Switch. Aunoma mentioned something about not wanting players to look down at it constantly to swap items ruining the flow or something. If anything I hope it still acts as a map similar to XCX but I am doubtful. Unless I missed something.

m051293

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za1QfYbgyR0

Shows off a Shiekah village, a Hylian village, and the Shiekah Slate's camera feature.

Vid also confirms what looks like a "Zora Sword"

Also, specific armor pics:

And of course, high-tech weaponry.

Between this and some of the maps with locations I've seen today (coupled with engineeringhyrule's map size estimate), I'm liking how theyve scaled this world (size and spacing of the settlements in particular).

Not reading, please quote me so I know which post to read.

I just want to know how much do we know yet? Do we have a dungeon number yet and are there items outside the runes you get at the start.

Caelus

I just want to know how much do we know yet? Do we have a dungeon number yet and are there items outside the runes you get at the start.

The (rumoured) dungeons are:

Greatwing Dungeon - Sky of Hyrule - Wind Blight Ganon - Breath of Wind - Piloted by Reevali
Charscale Dungeon - Death Mountain Summit - Fire Blight Ganon - Breath of Fire - Piloted by Daruk
Dunepaw Dungeon - South Dragon's Exile - Dust Blight Ganon - Breath of Dust - Piloted by Niira (the Gerudo Girl)
Stormhoof Dungeon - Lake Altun Shore - Water Blight Ganon - Breath of Water - Piloted by Mipha
Temple of the Goddess - Necluda Spire - Malice
Hyrule Castle - Hyrule Castle - Calamity Ganon - Breath of Renewal

Along with the runes you get rune upgrades which extend the time limits some runes have or add power.

The rest of traditional Zelda items are weapons, there are several boomerang and hammer variations, and the hookshot might be replaced with a hook-arrow for use with the bow, as gameplay footage with the desert mount might imply. We're not entirely sure though.

TreIII

The Zelda lore nerd from my middle/high school days just can't resist.

I'm really only here for lore/timeline placement. Soon as I get that, I can probably pull out and wait one more week.

Top Bottom