• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

Passose

Banned
I can see Capcom doing a 'Capcom 1' deal with Sony for MH5 on PS4. And when the game sells less than MH4U worldwide, even with Sony's marketing muscle, Capcom makes MH Portable 5 on the Switch.
but why making that deal when it's obvious that the game won't sell well on the system btw, even during the capcom 5 those game they made actually had potential to sell well on the GC

SalvaPot

I don't think there is any obligation. The PSP made MonHon the biggest 3rd part game in Japan yet Capcom jumped ship.

They could leap back to Sony. But without Sony introducing a new handheld I don't see why that would be a good play for this series in particular. Portability is one of the main factors that made the series a success.

Sure in the West being on a portable is not as important but it would be very bold to risk your core market in pursuit of another one.

Then again the "Capcom 5" made no sense either, but they still did that. So anything is possible.

I was trying to look into it, I remember reading here that there was a few issues with Sony, but I can't recall exactly what. I found this from Siliconera:

There’s a limit to how long something can be continuously developed on the same hardware,” Capcom COO Haruhiro Tsujimoto said in an interview. “The Monster Hunter series started out on the PlayStation 2, then on the PlayStation Portable. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd [which was a huge hit] had reached the end of the line, and in order to meet new expectations, it was required for us to switch platforms.

“Games have ideal release periods, which also determine when their development begins. This resulted in our judgment of seeing the 3DS as the most desirable [platform for Monster Hunter 4].

“We want to have as many people as possible play it on the 3DS, and we are only thinking about making it succeed.

So it sounds to me like they just go where the money is. It makes sense for Switch to be the next home for MH5, but I guess a PS4 release is likely for the west. But even then there is no denying that the Switch has had a strong showing in all regions, so keeping it exclusive will make sense.

Vinnk

How is USFII advertised ? It's hard to see how it could sell.

I know 2 gamers in their 40's who are planning to buy this. It's all nostalgia and really nothing else.

Capcom knows this. Have you seen the trailers that show clips of Japanese arcades in the 90's? That's not an accident. They know their market.

The big question is: "How big IS that market?"

I would not be surprised if this game is a sleeper hit (SFII is so beloved). I would also not be shocked if it bombed (the price is crazy). It's such a weird release.

but why making that deal when it's obvious that the game won't sell well on the system btw, even during the capcom 5 those game they made actually had potential to sell well on the GC
I don't think Capcom have made a big multi platform game on the HD consoles outside of Resident Evil 7 and MvC:I this generation. They've otherwise produced co-funded console exclusives.

I don't completely think MH5 as a PS4 exclusive will happen, but I can see Capcom weighing the potential loss of Japanese sales against having Sony fund a large chunk of the game's development and pay for the marketing, and thinking they can make MH get Dark Souls sales in the West. Capcom have a tendency to do weird shit.

Passose

Banned
I don't think Capcom have made a big multi platform game on the HD consoles outside of Resident Evil 7 and MvC:I this generation. They've otherwise produced co-funded console exclusives.

I don't completely think MH5 as a PS4 exclusive will happen, but I can see Capcom weighing the potential loss of Japanese sales against having Sony fund a large chunk of the game's development and pay for the marketing, and thinking they can make MH get Dark Souls sales in the West. Capcom have a tendency to do weird shit.
Nearly forgot that, this is Capcom after all lol

Oregano

On a slightly related note with the existence of Code Vein I'm now more inclined to believe the new God Eater is still a Vita game
and also maybe the conclusion of the series(?)

They've taking nothing but risks this generation (barring MonHun of course).

Sequels to Dead Rising that went nowhere at retail on the Xbox One.

SFV underperforming by a large margin despite console exclusivity on the sales leader of the generation.

Resident Evil Relations 2, Umbrella Corps, RE7 underperforming in Japan

MonHun Stories...

I'm sure there are more I haven't listed like there mobile games but you get the idea.

Capcom takes risks. They're just terrible ones.

RER2 and RE7 performed well globally.

D.Lo

I know 2 gamers in their 40's who are planning to buy this. It's all nostalgia and really nothing else.

Capcom knows this. Have you seen the trailers that show clips of Japanese arcades in the 90's? That's not an accident. They know their market.

The big question is: "How big IS that market?"

I would not be surprised if this game is a sleeper hit (SFII is so beloved). I would also not be shocked if it bombed (the price is crazy). It's such a weird release.
If the (awful but that's not relevant here) HD graphics were new it would almost make sense? But they're not.

Also Remake and Zero. But the point being Capcom made a deal with Nintendo when a competitor would have offered more chance at sales. It was backtracked on but probably hurt sales long term. Instead of making a PS2-based RE4, it got a cut down inferior late Gamecube game. Even when you backtrack on decisions like that the initially spurned 'obvious choice' platform owners potentially aren't impressed with being ignored initially.

If anything, I wonder if the Capcom Five scared the company away from such deals ever again.

I was trying to look into it, I remember reading here that there was a few issues with Sony, but I can't recall exactly what. I found this from Siliconera:

That quote is actually hilarious in the context of them having released 5 traditional Monster Hunter games on 3DS and received a lot of flak for at least two of them for being cash-ins that should have been DLC.

But hey, keep meeting those "new expectations" huh?

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm not sure if MH on PS4 would sell that much better in the west than it does on the 3DS. In Japan I think it would limit its sales pretty much going from 3.5-4 million down to 1-2 million.

So it's hard to know if there is an audience for this type of games on consoles than handheld

I'm not sure if MH on PS4 would sell that much better in the west than it does on the 3DS. In Japan I think it would limit its sales pretty much going from 3.5-4 million down to 1-2 million.

So it's hard to know if there is an audience for this type of games on consoles than handheld

In the west there would definitely be a step down, I suspect. Part of what has made Monster Hunter finally take off over here is the fact there are few other experience like it on handhelds. It converted an existing console audience into fans, rather than bringing existing fans to the system.

In Japan, that distinction is less clear. Especially as the series is looking at having to make an inevitable leap to another system - in which case should it be the more powerful one already established in the market, or the untested successor to the system they're already on?

If the Switch holds up though, I expect development to favour it. If Capcom haven't already made the decision, it's one they would nail down in the next few months, lest they risk not having a new MH to storm Japan by the end of next year.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

The more I think about the crazier the the prospect seems. The highest selling PS4 game of that nature is bloodborne and the last we heard it had sold 2.5 million. Toukiden bombed out of existence. No other similar style games have broken that barriers. Uncharted 4 the strongest selling PS4 exclusive didn't even manage to chart in the top 20 for the year last year in the US not counting bundles. Dark souls 3 beat it and that's multiplatform. MH is no where even near that mindshare. Th most optimistic estimates out it at around a 50% decline for the franchise.

Even in Japan chance it reaches a million is very low.

The only way such a game would make sense is if it were multiplayform with pc and xb1.

Atram

putting MH as an Exclusive on the PS4 would be a big WW sales downgrade for that IP. Making MH5 Mutliplat is what makes the most sense fo the IP to grow.

jonno394

In Japan, that distinction is less clear. Especially as the series is looking at having to make an inevitable leap to another system - in which case should it be the more powerful one already established in the market, or the untested successor to the system they're already on?

The only thing you're forgetting in your analysis is that at present, MH has only ever done big on handhelds in Japan.

LordKano

The MonHun producer clearly hinted at MHXXHD (or a future MH game anyway) being on Switch. I honestly don't see how you can argue for a shift toward Sony at this point.

Fisico

On a slightly related note with the existence of Code Vein I'm now more inclined to believe the new God Eater is still a Vita game
and also maybe the conclusion of the series(?)

I was thinking this too, I was wondering what Bamco could be doing with the God Eater IP as keeping it as is it was poised to heavily decline.

- Making it PS4 exclusive in Japan would have been utter nonsense
- The western market proved once again with GE2 RB and GE R that it makes from nice additional sales but will not make up for lost sales in Japan (it's 150k on Steam and already had a few sales) and I don't think it had wortwhile results on PS4/PSV
- PS4/Switch is not gonna happen for a multiplayer centric game right now
- Keeping the same formula and platforms (PS4/PSV) is the "safest" choice but the sales will decline (400k for GE3 would be an achievement, but GE2 was standing close to 700k)
- Or they could have keep the IP drop PSV and change the gameplay formula to be closer to what home console owners expect, but that's basically what they're doing with Code Vein

So as it stands I think we will get a God Eater 3 this year PSV/PS4 not an higher effort than previous entries, 400k sales 280/120k split.

After that (2018-2019) the IP might stay dormant or try to go for Switch.

Passose

Banned
The MonHun producer clearly hinted at MHXXHD (or a future MH game anyway) being on Switch. I honestly don't see how you can argue for a shift toward Sony at this point.
Technically they can, by abandoning their fanbase and make the game more appealing to the western audience. If they do it right, monster hunter can be really successful in the western market while still being a ps4 exclusive.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Technically they can, by abandoning their fanbase and make the game more appealing to the western audience. If they do it right, monster hunter can be really successful in the western market while still being a ps4 exclusive.
Which would in best case scenario be a substantial contraction for the franchise. What's the highest selling PS4 exclusive remotely similar to MH? Exactly

Monster Hunter PS4 exclusive? Ok bud that's never happening.

🙄

jonno394

Make it appealing to westerners (when people say this they mean more like souls) and be a success like Souls, Borne and Nioh, which all sold less in the west than a Monster Hunter title (3DS pre-XX) sold in Japan alone.

Passose

Banned
Which would in best case scenario be a substantial contraction for the franchise. What's the highest selling PS4 exclusive remotely similar to MH? Exactly
That why I said technically, who is that mad to sacrafice their Japan best seller in favor of the western market?

SalvaPot

How exactly would they do it right? By increasing their costs of production by making an HD entry of a series with few assets on it? By turning a known local and online multiplayer experience into a purely online experience? By delivering a game to a mostly new audience who, chances are, have not played a single game in the series?

I remember most people port begging for the Vita was because it was more comfortable, and that made more sense than making it PS4 exclusive.

sphinx

the piano man
I think that perception of the PS4's performance in Japan is kind of distorted here in the MC/Famitsu community.

here some facts about the PS4 in Japan

.-it is a console that took forever to surpass the WiiU LTD (...the wiiU!!!) and it's on its way to do merely ok-ish once all is said and done several years from now.

.-it is a console that currently has a smaller fanbase than Vita by nearly a million users, which itself has about a misserable 22% of its competitor's base, the place where the MH currently is.

.-I tried looking for a list of million sellers but I couldn't find one, FFXV seems like will crawl to it in the coming years and I don't know if minecraft is a thing there (is a million seller on Vita). unless I am wrong, it doesn't have a million seller.

thing is, PS4 is in the pack of the loser consoles in Japan. or are people really thinking it is a success?? cause you'd need very strong and convincng arguments to defend that idea.

We just saw the LTDs of the successful players, PS4 won't ever come close, not in its wildest dreams, to scratch that kind of userbases in Japan.

the only way MH is becoming a Sony exclusive to PS4 is by sacrificing a HUGE chunk of their domestic sales in order to attract the western PS4 userbase, which in itself will be WAY too busy playing not only their backlogs but stuff like RDR2, TLOU2 and their yearly sport iterations.

PS2 and Wii had Monster Hunters and the IP didn't really succeeded there like on the handheld games, why would it succeed on a MUCH smaller userbase on PS4

makes no sense whatsoever, why would people see it as viable in the first place?

dan2026

MH wont be a PS4 exclusive.
But they would be daft not to do a PS4 version to release alongside the Switch.

Capcom are pretty daft though.

thefro

Switch lead platform, port to PS4/PC probably gets you 5-6 million in total WW sales at the very least for a MH 5.

I was thinking this too, I was wondering what Bamco could be doing with the God Eater IP as keeping it as is it was poised to heavily decline.

- Making it PS4 exclusive in Japan would have been utter nonsense
- The western market proved once again with GE2 RB and GE R that it makes from nice additional sales but will not make up for lost sales in Japan (it's 150k on Steam and already had a few sales) and I don't think it had wortwhile results on PS4/PSV
- PS4/Switch is not gonna happen for a multiplayer centric game right now
- Keeping the same formula and platforms (PS4/PSV) is the "safest" choice but the sales will decline (400k for GE3 would be an achievement, but GE2 was standing close to 700k)
- Or they could have keep the IP drop PSV and change the gameplay formula to be closer to what home console owners expect, but that's basically what they're doing with Code Vein

So as it stands I think we will get a God Eater 3 this year PSV/PS4 not an higher effort than previous entries, 400k sales 280/120k split.

After that (2018-2019) the IP might stay dormant or try to go for Switch.

I think this is a pretty good analysis of the situation actually. Prior to Code Vein I would've pegged it as PS4/Switch, but I feel like that game is the evolution of the series (and will be PS4/Switch because less of a focus on multi-player) while GE3 will probably conclude the franchise on Vita (where most of the audience is) and PS4 which is obviously where they're still pushing. If it takes off on PS4 - great (but it won't) and it'll obviously be the lead platform, but if not they'll still make bank on the Vita version and the inevitable Steam western release.

SalvaPot

Also, its just in the best of interest for Nintendo to keep the game for themselves, at any cost. They are clearly shouldering the lions share of the promotion in the west and each release keeps getting bigger.

You just look at the switch and it just seems like a device made with Monster Hunter in mind, it even has a touchscreen if they want to use that.

Branduil

I could see PC/Switch happening for Monster Hunter if Capcom values Nintendo's promotion but still wants a piece of the more hardcore market.

Passose

Banned
Also, its just in the best of interest for Nintendo to keep the game for themselves, at any cost. They are clearly shouldering the lions share of the promotion in the west and each release keeps getting bigger.

You just look at the switch and it just seems like a device made with Monster Hunter in mind, it even has a touchscreen if they want to use that.
think again, why would Capcom take Sony's money while they can make much more money on the switch anyway lol?

After the success of Nioh, Nier, FFXV, Persona 5, RE7 etc you would think people would stop underestimating 3rd party titles on the PS4.

Oh wait I forgot that this is the Media Create thread where everything is decided by the Japanese market performance and western/digital sales have absolutely no weight whatsoever in companies investment decisions.

Mokujin

So you are suggesting they scrap their established portable multimillion sales market wich has gained already weight in the West trying to repurpose the franchise to be more appealing to the West on Ps4 as exclusive?

I'm at a loss trying to follow that logic.

LordKano

After the success of Nioh, Nier, FFXV, Persona 5, RE7 etc you would think people would stop underestimating 3rd party titles on the PS4.

Oh wait I forgot that this is the Media Create thread where everything is decided by the Japanese market performance and western/digital sales have absolutely no weight whatsoever in companies investment decisions.

Ah yes, because a bunch of niche games and a massively western centric IP are on the same league as Monster Hunter.

Yeah those are the same as Monster Hunter...man you got everyone good.

Shahed

Ah yes, because a bunch of niche games and a massively western centric IP are on the same league as Monster Hunter.
I don't see why it has to be exclusive. To Switch or PS4. To get the most sales multiplatform is the way to go. Is there any reason Monster Hunter 5 can't be Switch/PS4 with PC added when it gets localised? That way they can serve both markets.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Your not making a strong arguement here outside FFXV what do you expect the LTD for those games to be?

LordKano

I don't see why it has to be exclusive. To Switch or PS4. To get the most sales multiplatform is the way to go. Is there any reason Monster Hunter 5 can't be Switch/PS4 with PC added when it gets localised? That way they can serve both markets.

It would be, of course, the ideal scenario. Main problem would be dividing the userbase. If Capcom cares about it.

Making it multiplatform is key if they want the IP to grow anyway.

test_account

XP-39C²
IIRC when they were showing it on the stream they said it had been in development for a about a month so it looked pretty completely a month in and released two to three months after first beginning development.

In regards to Seiken Densetsu specifically I'd say it's equally about Square Enix(Switch's biggest supporter) seeing that no one else is really releasing anything. That would have been obvious back in January.
That i can agree on, but i wouldnt exactly say that they're trying to cash in on Switch success if they started in January :) Then i was thinking about recent sales numbers in Japan.

Oh no, we're back to MonHun on PS4 debates.
You forgot to mention Switch too :p :)

jonno394

Nioh - shipped 1m worldwide
Nier Automata - 1m worldwide sales
Persona 5 - 1.5m worldwide sales

Monster Hunter 4 - 4.1m Japanese sales
Monster Hunter 4G - 3m Japan/4m worldwide
Monster Hunter X - 3m Japan/4.1m worldwide sales

People aren't "underestimating" 3rd paty titles on PS4, they're looking at the figures and seeing that those PS4 game sales just don't compare.

Multiformat Monster Hunter makes the most sense for the future.

Oregano

Nioh - shipped 1m worldwide
Nier Automata - 1m worldwide sales
Persona 5 - 1.5m worldwide sales

Monster Hunter 4 - 4.1m Japanese sales
Monster Hunter 4G - 3m Japan/4m worldwide
Monster Hunter X - 3m Japan/4.1m worldwide sales

People aren't "underestimating" 3rd paty titles on PS4, they're looking at the figures and seeing that those PS4 game sales just don't compare.

Multiformat Monster Hunter makes the most sense for the future.

Nier and NiOH have done well for themselves but I think people are being premature when they celebrate the fact their worldwide sales are equivalent to something like Fantasy Life.

Shahed

It would be, of course, the ideal scenario. Main problem would be dividing the userbase. If Capcom cares about it.

Making it multiplatform is key if they want the IP to grow anyway.

This doesn't necessarily apply to just Monster Hunter though.

The way I look at it is this. The West has shown multiplatfork is the way to go, where even big exclusive with wide appeal like Uncharted 4 don't make it into the Top 20 in the US where a more core focused previously semi niche game like Dark Souls does. With the 3DS being what it was it wasn't really possible before, and I'd argue that's why it missed so many games that instead went PlayStation family and PC for the West.

Now the Switch is a far more capable and modern system than 3DS. So as far as I'm concerned unless the game is a pushed PS4 title that simply won't run acceptably on Switch, or a it's a Switch game that uses the touchsceen or Joy Cons in specific ways that can't be replicated on PS4, every game should be multiplat between the both of them. Unless they are ultra niche (50k or less) where install base and and being on multiple devices won't help.

So yeah Persona 5 should be on Switch at some point, and the likes of SMT HD and that Octopath thingy should be on PS4 as well. Japanese developers are only harming themselves by not taking a multiplaform approach

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This doesn't necessarily apply to just Monster Hunter though.

The way I look at it is this. The West has shown multiplatfork is the way to go, where even big exclusive with wide appeal like Uncharted 4 don't make it into the Top 20 in the US where a more core focused previously semi niche game like Dark Souls does. With the 3DS being what it was it wasn't really possible before, and I'd argue that's why it missed so many games that instead went PlayStation family and PC for the West.

Now the Switch is a far more capable and modern system than 3DS. So as far as I'm concerned unless the game is a pushed PS4 title that simply won't run acceptably on Switch, or a it's a Switch game that uses the touchsceen or Joy Cons in specific ways that can't be replicated on PS4, every game should be multiplat between the both of them. Unless they are ultra niche (50k or less) where install base and and being on multiple devices won't help.

So yeah Persona 5 should be on Switch at some point, and the likes of SMT HD and that Octopath thingy should be on PS4 as well. Japanese developers are only harming themselves by not taking a multiplaform approach

TBF though Pokémon an exclusive still kicked ass and probably would have ranked much higher if they combined it's sales and that's on the 3DS mind you. Though obviously that more of that case of the few exceptions rather than norm.

Dragon Quest XI's multi platform sales will be an interesting litmus test to see if similar results could be achievable with a hypothetical multiplat MH5. Particularly the PS4 and Switch versions.

KtSlime

Did you really just come into a thread about the Japanese market, to say, who cares what the Japanese market thinks?

Many Japanese companies DO still consider their home Japan, and DO care about if their product is successful in Japan. Of course Western sales are valuable to Japanese companies, however, many aren't ready to throw their regular consumers under the bus for some imaginary promised land.

Shahed

TBF though Pokémon an exclusive still kicked ass and probably would have ranked much higher if they combined it's sales and that's on the 3DS mind you. Though obviously that more of that case of the few exceptions rather than norm.
Pokemon is it's own force of nature though. There's little that can compete with it :p

Top Bottom